RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

1. Fire in Rialto is largely contained.

I had to look on the map to see where Rialto is. Damn, that is nowhere, even by San Bernardino County standards. A guy in movie school was from there. No wonder he was so screwed up.

2. Camp Fire body count continues to increase.

Stats are eyebrow raising. At least, I raised mine.

140,000 acres - 40% contained
56 dead at time of last presser, going up fast
8756 residences destroyed

Due to the possibility, so far unproven, that PG&E equipment might have started the fire, the company's stock has tanked big time. The company lost 30% of its market cap yesterday alone. If PG&E is indeed found liable, the liability could exceed the amount of its insurance coverage.

Much has been made of the inadequate evacuation and alerting procedures in Paradise CA. In a previous fire, the whole town was evacuated at once and the little roads out of it all clogged. Then the fire came through slowly. Therefore, this time, they tried to evacuate it in stages, but the fire came through quickly.

3. Woolsey Fire, though not as deadly, continues to amaze

98,362 acres - 57% contained
2 civilians dead
3 firefighters injured

Structure count is all over the place. I've seen all the way from 500 to 900. The media remain far more interested in counting celebrities who were affected.

Lots of stuff flying regarding lack of resources on this fire. It appears that parts of Malibu were left to fend for themselves. Pt. Dume is talking about starting a VFD. (Since all the big macho guys stay behind and try to fight fire with garden hoses, maybe it's a good idea to train and equip them.) Sounds like FIRESCOPE and the other emergency plans need some tweaking. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at THAT debrief.

Traffic in this part of L.A. is completely stalled much of the time, and we're 20 miles from the fire.

As I recall it's a shipping whorehouse kind of place.

:| Spellcheck picked that word out, it wasn't me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Right. It seems like companies like to put shipping warehouses there. Well, there's certainly a lot of room for them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:34 pm 
Policy Wonk

a lot of people without homes now and hurting really sad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

Motor City, in Paradise, I wonder if there aren't hundreds who are dead. :(

I don't think they can rebuild it.

Refugees need to be taken in, this time they may never go home. I know my community, they'll pitch in. Last year it wasn't this bad, but it was us. Communities near us pitched in and helped.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Camp Fire is 142,000 acres - 45% contained
Now 63 dead and ~600 missing :shock:
9,844 residences, 336 commercial and 2,076 other buildings are destroyed :o

Smoke in the SF bay area has closed many schools and led to a run on masks.

Woolsey Fire is 98,362 acres - 69% contained (it isn't growing much, if at all)
616 structures destroyed
Nooz notwithstanding, celebrity structures still only count as one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

The here in the Bay Area is now Unhealthy. Worse Beijing or Delhi.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

I guess when the wind shifted to onshore, all that crud that was out halfway to Hawaii came back.

Here there was one smoky day, but people are still in a dither about the nuclear waste at the ignition site. The Feds had been promising to clean that up for decades. You know what came of that, as in nothing. Now we are being told by everyone from military WMD-CST to local cops that nothing got into the air. This could well be true. Too bad nobody trusts them because they never kept their promise to clean it up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sacramento has the worst measured air quality on this planet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

Today is the second day UC Merced canceled classes because of the air. I was there this morning, it was in a cold inversion layer. The air was not as visibly foul as I saw a lot of this summer. But the particles were very fine and I got kind of light headed breathing it. Like the Oxygen was low and the CO2 was high, like submarine air after too long a dive.

I'm tired, and everyone I've talked to says they're tired.

:|

I'm happy to be not burnt up. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

California already had a housing crisis in that we need to build thousands of more homes just to handle the population we already have and now with thousands of Californian wildfire victims needing housing it's going to severely strain existing housing capacity. I expect we'll see "tent cities" established to handle those who can't find or afford to pay for housing while their homes are being rebuilt.

I was thinking about how many people will rebuild and if their insurance companies actually come through and pay for the cost of rebuilding that will drive up the price of construction throughout the state because materials, services, labor, and the other construction related businesses will be concentrated in the burned-out areas.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

They are saying the CA wildfires have now killed 66 people. That is higher than the official death toll of Hurricane Michael (60).

As of this point, I also believe hundreds are missing. Unfortunately, some of those people may well be missing because they are dead. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Camp Fire numbers go up several times a day. Latest I've seen is 71 dead and some number of missing that exceeds 1000 and is probably closer to 1300. The number of structures destroyed is creeping up on 13,000.

The death toll does exceed either of the big hurricanes.

You have to go back in history to find big numbers like this. People have started comparing it with the firestorm in the Great Lakes region that's usually known as the Chicago Fire. Chicago was bad enough, but there were much worse fires simultaneously and independently in several other places. Everything from weather to a comet strike has been theorized for that one. The only thing we know for sure it that it wasn't Ms. O'Leary's cow. That was an anti-Irish Catholic legend started by WASP hate groups. (For anyone who thinks these are new.)

Google Peshtigo, WI sometimes if you want to see what a really out of control force of nature can do. The place went off like a nuke bomb. People exploded right in plain sight. Buildings were picked up and scattered. Only one piece of wood survived in the whole town. That fire killed at least 1500.

Hopefully California won't get THAT bad.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Camp Fire numbers go up several times a day. Latest I've seen is 71 dead and some number of missing that exceeds 1000 and is probably closer to 1300. The number of structures destroyed is creeping up on 13,000.

The death toll does exceed either of the big hurricanes.

You have to go back in history to find big numbers like this. People have started comparing it with the firestorm in the Great Lakes region that's usually known as the Chicago Fire. Chicago was bad enough, but there were much worse fires simultaneously and independently in several other places. Everything from weather to a comet strike has been theorized for that one. The only thing we know for sure it that it wasn't Ms. O'Leary's cow. That was an anti-Irish Catholic legend started by WASP hate groups. (For anyone who thinks these are new.)

Google Peshtigo, WI sometimes if you want to see what a really out of control force of nature can do. The place went off like a nuke bomb. People exploded right in plain sight. Buildings were picked up and scattered. Only one piece of wood survived in the whole town. That fire killed at least 1500.

Hopefully California won't get THAT bad.

Another wind funnel event, happened on the same day, fanned into life by the same weather front as the great Chicago fire.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

1. Yes, it's likely that the weather front combined with dry conditions to cause all these Great Lakes region fires at once. At least that's what happens here, so it's a known cause of such things. The comet theory has been pretty well debunked. Sounds sexy, but that's not what would happen.

2. Drumpf wasted everyone's time and tax money traipsing through the ruins yesterday.

3. Here comes another Northern California "wind event:"

Firefighters continue structure preparation and defense in areas threatened by the Camp Fire. Equipment and crews continue to construct primary and secondary control lines in rugged terrain. Due to gusty winds and low humidity, a Red Flag Warning is in place until this afternoon. Additional firefighters and engines have been prepositioned for this forecasted wind event. Firefighters remain throughout the fire area extinguishing hot spots, mitigating hazards trees, and assisting our cooperators in clearing the area of hazards.

4. Woolsey Fire structure count is up to 1130 destroyed - 300 damaged.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Local paper with story about the traitor going to Chico I think it is. Near the fire I guess.

I cant and wont watch him ever. So often I dont know where he is or what shitty thing he is doing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

With all the trees destroyed by the fires the hillsides are going to be susceptible to mudslides when the winter rains come compounding the destruction. I wouldn't expect to see any real reconstruction to begin until summer 2019.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

Local paper with story about the traitor going to Chico I think it is. Near the fire I guess.

I cant and wont watch him ever. So often I dont know where he is or what shitty thing he is doing.

Didn't miss much. Apparently, if California raked their leaves as well as the Finns did, they wouldn't have as many fires. :roll:

He continues to rag on "forest management" ignoring: a) 60% of CA forests are federally managed, so IF they are mismanaged, that would be ... uh, get a mirror. b) many of these fires aren't, in fact, per se, forest fires.

I know, anything to blame the state that's the victim and environmentalists, and not talk about climate change.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

Didn't miss much. Apparently, if California raked their leaves as well as the Finns did, they wouldn't have as many fires. :roll:

He continues to rag on "forest management" ignoring: a) 60% of CA forests are federally managed, so IF they are mismanaged, that would be ... uh, get a mirror. b) many of these fires aren't, in fact, per se, forest fires.

I know, anything to blame the state that's the victim and environmentalists, and not talk about climate change.

And only 3% is managed by the state.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was somewhat relived to find out this was not so according to the Weekly Standard at the same time I found out about it at the Weekly Standard.

I'm somewhat nauseated by the idea that the Weekly Standard would stoop to doing fact checks though. If that were real they would have to throw themselves out. Pinch themselves by the ear and out on the street they go head first.

:) Here it is, it's kind of entertaining:

Fact Check: Was the Recent California Fire Started by the U.S. Government Using Space Lasers?

https://www.weeklystandard.com/holmes-l ... ace-lasers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:27 am 
Board Emeritus

Bill Godbout burned in the Camp fire in Concow. He's the pioneer of the CompuPro S-100 "mini" mainframe system.

My first computer was one of those. It wasn't all that "mini," the size of a steamer trunk it was. It sucked more than a thousand watts of power, and put out more than a thousand watts of pure heat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:51 am 
Board Emeritus

I was in San Jose Friday night and yesterday. The AQ there was a little better than up here, certainly on Thursday - nobody had ever seen it like this, ever, in San Francisco and Berkeley as it was on Thursday. :(

I think about my mother, who died of lung disease, and could never have made it through last week.

Today it was notably better, but still quite hazy. And yeah, Orange Caligula came where he wasn't wanted. Poor Jerry Brown looked like he was holding back on upchucking through the entire word salad speech. :problem:

But classes are still cancelled for the entire week at Cal, San Francisco State, Mills, University of San Francisco, City College of San Francisco, and tomorrow at Berkeley City College.

Cripes, I grew up in the buckle of the smog belt and have never seen school actually cancelled for air quality. Stage 3/stay indors alerts, all the time. But nothing ever like this in my life. :(

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:10 am 
Board Emeritus

Add UC Merced to that list of colleges who have canceled classes this week as well as two days last week.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Finns are making some classic Internet videos making fun of the whole idea of raking leaves in the woods.

Camp Fire now "11,713 residences, 472 commercial and 3,388 other buildings" (CAL FIRE). L.A. Times has discovered the "other" little town, Concow, that got wiped off the map, and now can't write enough about it. Apparently there's one guy left in it, taking care of the ruins.

Weather Channel must have been inspired by our president. They have a guy traipsing through the ruins too. (Stands next to burned out shell of a store) "This building has a red tag, see right here, they put these on after inspection, says it is not safe to go inside, even to sift the ashes for whatever the fire missed. This wall could collapse any second. (Stands closer to it) See, right here, red tag, it's the same color as a stop light, says stop............."

The guy might want to avoid steep hillsides if it rains hard. "This is called a mudslide. It's muddy, and it slides. It has rocks and shit mixed in. It moves fast.... look how fast it moves... glubb..." (never seen again).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Finns are making some classic Internet videos making fun of the whole idea of raking leaves in the woods.

Camp Fire now "11,713 residences, 472 commercial and 3,388 other buildings" (CAL FIRE). L.A. Times has discovered the "other" little town, Concow, that got wiped off the map, and now can't write enough about it. Apparently there's one guy left in it, taking care of the ruins.

Weather Channel must have been inspired by our president. They have a guy traipsing through the ruins too. (Stands next to burned out shell of a store) "This building has a red tag, see right here, they put these on after inspection, says it is not safe to go inside, even to sift the ashes for whatever the fire missed. This wall could collapse any second. (Stands closer to it) See, right here, red tag, it's the same color as a stop light, says stop............."

The guy might want to avoid steep hillsides if it rains hard. "This is called a mudslide. It's muddy, and it slides. It has rocks and shit mixed in. It moves fast.... look how fast it moves... glubb..." (never seen again).

Here's a photo from the Finns mocking Trump.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next