RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

You know who surprises me?

James Woods. For all his crazy ultra right wing conspiracy rants (trust me, he nuts and super angry all the time), he actually helped coordinate rescue for Alyssa Milano’s horses.

Voting with hurt fees to pwn the libs:
Quote:
because of this board... it will be very hard for me to support a Democratic candidate.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hadn't heard that one.

Some quick Woolsey Fire stats, already probably old:

35,000 acres
250,000 evacuated
150 homes destroyed (that we know of)

---

The problem is the fucking climate. Look, it's been hopelessly dry for 8 years now. How much more evidence do we need? The L.A. area is not what it was even in the 2000s. It's over.

Can't say for San Diego. For all I know, it's fine. Different climate down there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:02 am 
Board Emeritus

James Woods. For all his crazy ultra right wing conspiracy rants (trust me, he nuts and super angry all the time), he actually helped coordinate rescue for Alyssa Milano’s horses.

It doesn't surprise me. Fire swept through my community, followed six months later by flood. The hero's were many and they were all people. It appears like when natural stuff like floods and fire happen folks of different stripes pull together and become a common people.

The positive effects of that linger after the event. For how long I've yet to observe, a year and counting so far.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hadn't heard that one.

Some quick Woolsey Fire stats, already probably old:

35,000 acres
250,000 evacuated
150 homes destroyed (that we know of)

---

The problem is the fucking climate. Look, it's been hopelessly dry for 8 years now. How much more evidence do we need? The L.A. area is not what it was even in the 2000s. It's over.

Can't say for San Diego. For all I know, it's fine. Different climate down there.

I just read the Paradise fire, called something else is worst ever in CA history.

Is that right?

I was telling my wife this is just the beginning, even PGE has an ad now out that this is NOT getting better. We will soon be living in downtown Santa Rosa, sort of downtown. Probably relatively safe from fire...oh wait

Very soon our rage at ted, joe and glen and others for purposely voting to make the fire worse, will be supplanted with all of our energies just trying to survive the fires or drought or sinking of the earth into the oceans.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

1. Camp Fire is the most destructive fire in CA history, due to the ~7000 structures lost, the 9 fatalities, and the almost total loss of the ironically named Paradise, CA.. The Thomas Fire is still the largest in acreage, and at 200k+, it has a chance at staying that way. It'll depend on the weather.

Camp Fire stats
http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incident ... Index/2277

100,000 acres - 20% contained
Structures Threatened: 15,000
Structures Destroyed: 6,453 residences, 260 commercial
Total Fire Personnel: 3,223
Total Fire Engines: 440
Total Fire Crews: 67
Total Helicopters: 23
Total Dozers: 67
Total Water Tenders: 18
Long/Lat: -121.434700/39.813400

Conditions: Strong NE winds are expected to return this evening. The fire area is still under the influence of low relative humidities, dry fuel moistures. Moderate to extreme fire behavior are possible including spotting, wind driven runs, torching and crowning. The fire will continue to burn to the NW impacting the communities of Magalia and Paradise Pines. Fire crews will continue to conduct structure defense and perimeter control. The community of Stirling City and Paradise Pines is still threatened. The fire is holding to the southwest near Chico and South at Hwy 99 and Hwy 149. The fire will continue to burn to the SW toward Big Bend, Berry Creek and threatening the City of Orville. The expected strong NE wind event has the potential to drive fire across Lake Oroville threatening the City of Oroville. Extreme fire behavior with dangerous rates of spread are expected. Resources will be prepositioned in preidentified locations in anticipation of the wind event. Crews continued tactical patrols in the communities of Paradise, Concow, and Magalia.

Phone Numbers (530) 538-7826 (Public Information Line )
Phone Numbers (530) 487-4788 (Camp Fire Media Line )

2. Woolsey Fire is the biggest one around here that I've ever seen, and I've seen some very big ones. The map is here, and if you know anything about the fire history of SoCal, it's staggering:

https://www.vcemergency.com/

2a. Basically, last night it made it to the sea and removed a large strip along PCH north of the expensive part of Malibu that Libertas mentioned. In addition, there were several incursions into these very same fabled B-list haunts south of PCH. Many homes burned in the secretive, paranoid Point Dume area. There might or might not have been some limited damage in the star-studded Malibu Colony. In general, though, there were quite a few Fires of the Rich and Famous, which of course now are what the Nooz is talking about instead of telling people where the problems are and where they should and shouldn't be.

Pepperdine U, a very well endowed religious college owned by a fundie church down south somewhere, had yet another of their periodic big nights. Every undergrad deserves to do this at least once. Restores perspective about our place in the universe and what that bearded white guy in the sky will do for us, as in nothing. Praise the Lord and shelter in place.

The choppers landing on campus for water must have been especially spectacular.

The Nooz also keeps catching up with people who think they saved their neighborhoods with one garden hose and a couple of buckets. No, what saved their neighborhoods was physics, and notably the physics of turbulent hot gases. In plain, non-scientific terms, they got lucky this time. This of course is guaranteed to inspire all manner of people next time to stay behind, get in the firefighters' way, and attempt to stop a force of nature with a garden hose and a couple of buckets. Some of them will die.

2b. OK, let's take a glass of water and call it the biggest fire the populated part of south Ventura/Northwest LA counties ever had before this week. Now find a gallon jug. That's this one. You need a map to comprehend its scope. It defies everything you ever knew about SoCal geography.

2c. Woolsey Fire stats:

70,000 acres
250,000 evacuated
0% contained
900 firefighters engaged (this is incredibly low, due to resources being spread out)
~150 structures known to be burned, likely a lot more not counted yet
Two fatalities

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Pictures of California wildfires taken from space by NASA.

The Camp Fire, the Hill Fire, and Woolsey Fire.

The Camp Fire.

NBC Los Angles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Hill Fire is one of the smoke plumes contributing to that big mess in the south. That little smoke thing in what looks like Inyo County must be a different fire.

The Camp Fire is scary.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

1. The Camp Fire is REALLY scary. 23 dead and something on the order of 100 still missing.

http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incident ... /Index/227

109,000 acres - 25% contained
Structures Threatened: 15,000
Total Fire Personnel: 4,050

Last night the fire conditions were moderate to extreme due to the wind event. Crews continued to protect structures and fight fire aggressively. Fire lines are strategically being put in ahead of the fire to improve roads and provide barriers to the fire. Today the fire and firefighters will continue to be impacted by the strong winds. With the northeast wind pushing smoke to the southwest air operations will take advantage of the clearer air on the eastern side of the fire as long as weather and smoke conditions permit. Firefighters and cooperating agencies are continuing to mitigate many hazards within Paradise, CA. At 0700 hrs this morning the Camp Fire Incident entered unified command with USFS.

2. Woolsey Fire:

Main thing on this one is the size. This is unheard of for an urban interface fire in L.A. / Ventura Counties. Welcome to the new normal.

http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/admin8327985 ... 2_4179.pdf

83,275 acres Containment: 10%
Civilian Fatalities: 2
Firefighter Injuries: 3
Structures Threatened: 57,000
Structures Destroyed: 177

Due to extreme fire behavior, firefighting efforts have been focused, and will remain focused, on the protection of life, and structures. Favorable overnight weather conditions contributed to minimal fire growth, which allowed crews to reinforce containment lines. Crews will continue to battle steep terrain, limited access, and extreme fire behavior. Moderate to strong Santa Ana winds will continue across the area throughout the day, peaking tonight into tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

I want to post on FB and elsewhere people are talking about this and say CLIMATE CHANGE is why, because like guns, if we dont address it now, we all suffer.

I havent done that but I want to.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

yo, twitter...why aint you updating the tweets, like the 20Plus i had loaded up and now are gone, back to 18hours ago. WTF.
dont people in paradise area get to tweet...they were there twitter and now theyre gone...WTF...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Drry9ZXVYAAn54_.jpg

all the firemen and women whove lost their own homes and have nothing now.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/CampFire?src=hash

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

I found some from 3 hours ago. Twitter no longer shows tweets in sequence, which is a pisser, but no one can get them to change it. I guess they have facebook envy, and want to show you what THEY think is important.

------

It's completely climate change. Arctic ice melt plus warmer conditions. It causes greatly increased high pressure off the California coast, and greatly reduced rain. It also increases offshore winds. Drought + wind = extreme fire behavior. California fires are now like the ones in Australia.

This is why I say that L.A. is over. The L.A. we knew is gone forever. The new one is hotter, drier, and really not a very nice place to live. A lot of the hassles inherent to this city used to be tolerable because the weather was so nice. Now, at least for me, this is no longer the case.

------

One Malibu councilman stayed behind to fight the fire himself. He's in intensive care.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

I want to post on FB and elsewhere people are talking about this and say CLIMATE CHANGE is why, because like guns, if we dont address it now, we all suffer.

I havent done that but I want to.

In Thousand Oaks, they had the consequences of both within 24 hours of each other.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:02 pm 
Policy Wonk

voter suppression and citizens united touching peoples lives here as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

butte county sheriff said 228 people so far are just...missing. unaccounted for.

fire people saying all they find left when they go thru debris is bones.
there are cars strewn on roads everywhere. people got out and ran from them
with fire all around them.

my god where is the military on this fire. we have a military and they should be fighting this fire too.
in WA when the fire changed direction and bore down on our canyon...they had the AF called up
within Minutes. there was NO waiting.
between the local FDs and the AF base they stopped that fucking fire before it got to us.

sheriff mandatory evac'd us all going door to door to make sure Everyone was Out.
i passed him on the hill as i was riding out.
we had choppers in the cove all day the next few days.

between the local FDs and the AF base they stopped that fucking fire before it got to us.
an amazing feat in 70mph winds across the flat lands heading to the river.

we stayed out along the river at a friends place and all nite looked back at the canyon end and saw
nothing but smoke wallowing out over the river.
i had no idea if my horses were alive. i had to leave them but they had creek flowing water next to
a big dirt hillside with dirt in that area of pasture, no trees and little grass in that spot. it would be smoke.

im still amazed and grateful for that fire help. i talked with a cop after it was over, he said when the
wind shifted on the highway and they saw it was heading right for our canyon, they all shit and
began moving ALL help to above the canyon wall. they feared it would take us all out. the wind
was bringing it to us.

yeah, you dont forget this shit. i dont think you ever get over it. i havent.
its been ...three major fires for me all with livestock.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:02 am 
Board Emeritus

It's bad what happened in Paradice. It kind of reminds me of Paradise Lost by Milton published in 1667. It was on reading lists when I was younger, in college I had to read it for a class.

It appears Milton to has slipped since then. If the Paradise fire had happened back when I was 20 I'm pretty sure there would be references being made to that epic biblical poem around town and in the media.

I didn't say I read it. I said I had to read it. There are ways to deal with that without reading very much of it. It was hell and damnation published like as if it were a book, a thick book of hell and damnation, I had to do something. :|

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

Y'know Drak...there are hundreds of youtube videos out there of some white guy from Cementville Indiana (or similar locale) going into a frozen pond at risk of his own life to pull out a struggling dog, or even a struggling white tail deer yearling. The blonde and I watch these things and the tears are running down our cheeks. And then the reality sets in that there's a 70% or better probability that this guy walked into a voting booth on 11/8/16 and cast a ballot for Donald Trump. And my reaction to the whole thing is, "Well done asshole."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

Y'know Drak...there are hundreds of youtube videos out there of some white guy from Cementville Indiana (or similar locale) going into a frozen pond at risk of his own life to pull out a struggling dog, or even a struggling white tail deer yearling. The blonde and I watch these things and the tears are running down our cheeks. And then the reality sets in that there's a 70% or better probability that this guy walked into a voting booth on 11/8/16 and cast a ballot for Donald Trump. And my reaction to the whole thing is, "Well done asshole."

Also relevant is that all these fires always have unsung acts of heroism, while Nooz focuses on the celebs. People save hundreds of animals, and a few humans, every time there's one of these. Then you only hear about James Woods.

Or maybe some celeb loses a house. That's tragic, but the Nooz carries on as if it's more tragic because it happened to One Of The Beautiful People. No, it's just the same as if it happens to Joe Normal, except that Mr. Normal doesn't have the wherewithal to recover as quickly. You reach an existential point where this stuff no longer deconstructs.

Or people are beside themselves because the Paramount Ranch is gone. Well, I was sad too, because there's so much history of The Industry there, and besides, it was still a good place to shoot. But it wasn't more tragic than what happened to Paradise. You can replace goddamn sets. People... nope.

1. Camp Fire:
113,000 acres - 25% contained
29 dead, ~288 missing. Many people on social media searching for the missing.
Total Fire Personnel: 4,555
Conditions:
Strong northeast winds are expected to continue through Monday morning. Firefighters worked through the night to hold perimeter lines and provide structure defense in areas where the fire was impacting structures. Steep rugged terrain in some areas will impede control operations. Today firefighters will continue to fight the fire aggressively, provide structure defense and strategically be prepositioned in the case of any wind shifts.

2. Woolsey Fire:
91,572 acres - 20% contained
2 dead, 3 injured
Structures Destroyed: 370 (this will go higher)
Total Fire Personnel: 3,227 (they finally got some resources on this fire)
Total Fire Engines: 450
Conditions:
Due to extreme fire behavior, firefighting efforts have been focused, and will remain focused, on the protection of life, and structures. Favorable overnight weather conditions contributed to minimal fire growth, which allowed crews to reinforce containment lines. Crews will continue to be challenged with steep terrain, limited access, and extreme fire behavior. Moderate to strong Santa Ana winds will continue across the area throughout the evening and peak into tomorrow morning.

3. Rainwater gets how scary this shit is. Things happen fast, and nowadays they happen faster. I can't see any psychological difference between one of these and an air strike. Then the Nooz tells us, fire bad, air strike good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

So we're in PE class out on the field. This is before they had to close the field because it became a place to bring horses. The grass at LAUSD schools is usually pretty thin, but in these fires the horses graze on it anyway. This is the first day of the fire and it's still in the phase where FD is trying to find enough people to run toward it, at the same time everyone else is running from it, often on the same 2-lane canyon roads. So there's this hill with a couple of big houses on it, and suddenly there's flames and then all of a sudden KAFLOOEY and the whole thing is smoke and fire for about 10 minutes. When it clears, no houses. No nothing. Gone. Moonscape. Fire picked everything up and dropped it downwind to start more fires. Just like Dorothy's tornado in Wizard of Oz, except that the wicked witch is winning this one.

Fairly soon after that they called off school and you waited for parents to get through the roadblocks and pick you up. It was a very long wait. Sometimes, they couldn't get there at all.

Day two no school, different hill, and the TV and radio both droning away and parents packing up the car. We were doomed. Many international news services standing by for the demise of yet another fabled la-la land district. Cameras and shit set up all over the place. There was no hope, they droned. It was all over for the Rich Kid Ghetto, they droned. Very scary.

You know it's close when the ashes get bigger. Instead of little white pieces falling all over everything, you get chunks. Some of them are yesterday's L.A. Times. Often it's still readable, like a film negative, just all backward. You can read about the fire in the remains of the fire falling all over you.

The wind shifted. They stopped the fire at the ridgeline. Evacuation call never came.

The rest is in the history books. Many, many fabulous celebrity homes went poof. The international media were prowling the ruins for weeks after. The kids in the school... nawwww, they'll get over it. Don't bother with them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Two new fires. One is along the 118 freeway in the Santa Susana Pass. It is being worked by helicopters and fire strike teams. The other is smaller and in the same general area.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

i wanna know where the huge water dropper plane is...the one the US doesnt want to buy they rent it from
canada who has the sense to actually have one of these enormo water hauler dumpers.

where is the fucking military, who hasnt called them up? what the fuck are they for but to help here at home.
this is a waste of lives time FDs. the only way to get these fucking fires out is to haul and dump massive
water on them. of course there might not be Any Water lying around Anywhere in CA at this time.
YOU CANNOT GET IN THEIR ON FOOT TO FIGHT THESE FIRES. AIR IS THE ONLY WAY AT PRESENT.

we have an insane incompetent WH with no sense of reality or other human lives.
this is a national disgrace.

where is the fucking military and where is the fucking water hauler plane.
this is unforgivable.

i dont know if choppers can drop ocean water, whether salt water fucks anything up, its just being stored
and then dropped, i dont see why choppers cant pull from ocean water.
if anyone knows about the military being on hand and working these fires please post.
im Sure theyre all sitting back if theyve not been called up and wondering WHY THE FUCK THEYRE NOT HELPING
THEIR COUNTRY AND COUNTRYMEN AND WOMEN AND CHILDREN.

INSTEAD THEYRE CAMPED ON THE BORDER WITH NO FOOD NO AC BARELY ENOUGH TO SURVIVE THE DESERT.

WHAT THE FUCK.
THIS WH IS INSANELY IGNORANT STUPID AND DANGEROUS TO THE COUNTRY.

A CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER TO THE COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

ok, ive called local media and gave them the rant about calling up the FUCKING US MILITARY
to help americans fight these fires while our INSANE prez does nothing.

the news stations have all said...THATS A GOOD POINT THANKS FOR BRINGING IT UP WE'RE
GOING TO LOOK INTO THIS AND DO A STORY ON IT.

cant get thru to local pols since the pols have a fucking day off due to veterans day
so i left msgs in DC on their office lines there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Rump for his own reasons and under orders from Putin will not be helping liberals in CA if he can help it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm reading a new fire just sprung up in Simi Valley. This is getting suspicious. WTF? Is this a case of arson?

Voting with hurt fees to pwn the libs:
Quote:
because of this board... it will be very hard for me to support a Democratic candidate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

states dont need permission from the WH to call up the states military, be it active or reserve or guard.
WA called them up Immediately, and they were there directly on the spot using aircraft.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm reading a new fire just sprung up in Simi Valley. This is getting suspicious. WTF? Is this a case of arson?

prolly cig butts from stupid fuckers who toss them out the window cuz theyre stupid and lazy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next