Post subject: Stan Lee has Passed :(
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

BREAKING: Marvel mogul Stan Lee reportedly dies at 95

beast.com/marvel-mogul-stan-lee-dies-at-95-report

A comic book legend. Rest In Peace Sir :(

Voting with hurt fees to pwn the libs:
Quote:
because of this board... it will be very hard for me to support a Democratic candidate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

RIP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Quote:
because of this board... it will be very hard for me to support a Democratic candidate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

RIP

giant among super heroes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:50 pm 
Policy Wonk

RIP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:46 pm 
Policy Wonk

Farewell.

Attachments:
Farewell.jpg
Farewell.jpg [ 85.62 KiB | Viewed 395 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

I hope I make it to 95 (provided I'm still sane and somewhat healthy).

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Excelsior.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:15 pm 
Policy Wonk

RIP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:34 am 
Board Emeritus

People Are Sharing Stan Lee’s Powerful 1968 Anti-Racism Editorial
https://junkee.com/stan-lee-racism-editorial/181923

In light of the passing of Marvel co-founder and pop culture behemoth Stan Lee overnight, memories and highlights from the comic-book legend’s lengthy career are being shared far and wide.

One moment in particular has stuck out for many of his fans — a 1968 editorial penned as part of his monthly column, ‘Stan’s Soapbox’, which boldly and succinctly stands against bigotry and racism of any kind.

Published during America’s civil rights movement, which commenced in earnest a decade earlier with Rosa Parks’ bus seat protest and culminated in 1968 with the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. and the enacting of the Civil Rights Act, Lee’s piece holds back zero punches in its assessment of the evils of racism.

“Let’s lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today,” Lee opens the article. “But, unlike a team of costumed super-villains, they can’t be halted with a punch in the snoot, or a zap from a ray gun. The only way to destroy them is to expose them—to reveal them for the insidious evils they really are.”

The editorial delves into the irrationality behind the hatred of others because of their race, firmly stating Lee, and by association Marvel’s, outright condemnation of bigotry. “Although anyone has the right to dislike another individual, it’s totally irrational, patently insane to condemn an entire race—to despise an entire nation—to vilify an entire religion.”

[snip]

Stan Lee’s legacy is undeniably one of equality and justice for the disenfranchised with many of his most famous comic creations still praised today for their status as allegories for the downtrodden and the marginalised.

[snip]

The original soapbox, from 1968:

below, from Twitter:
Brianna Wu
✔@Spacekatgal
1/ With #StanLee’s death, I hope many fans will take a moment and consider his life’s work - and ask if you’re living up to it.
More than any other theme, Lee tackled organized hatred and our duty to fight it. X-men is a barely disguised allegory about racism and homophobia.
2/ If you look at the 90s classic Xtinction Agenda, this is about a government turning fascist and putting people they fear into camps.
Unless, of course, they could use them - in which case they were enslaved. pic.twitter.com/HNCE4jmSVk

[snip][end]

He was born Stanley Martin Lieber and knew something about prejudice. Like so many Jews, he changed his name to, you know, "sound more American".

Yes, he should be remembered for creating some memorable characters whose movies are taking over cinemas. I would argue, though, that Brianna Wu is right -- Stan always thought these characters shouldn't be saintly do-gooders that the audience couldn't recognize. They were human, vulnerable, prone to infighting, addiction, and all the other human weaknesses. He challenged the Comics Code in the 70s, that ridiculous code of censorship that mandated that in every story, and this was part of the code, ""law and authorities could never be portrayed negatively". :roll:

I happen to like many of the Marvel films, not just because they are empty canisters of CGI and explosions. There's a lot of deeper stuff going on in these stories, and I think Stan was one of the people that always tried to weave that in. The superhero genre doesn't have to be vapid (just as not all science fiction is, either).

And from early on, he also felt comic books and their stories could and should contain social commentary. Definitely in the pages of the X-Men, but also other comics, as well.

Stan tried to leave the comic book field many times - go into other areas, write the infamous Great American Novel. He never did. He stayed with what he did best, and I praise him for that. People may stop reading comics after their teens but his characters are now being watched by all generations at the cinema. He did a cameo in every Marvel film released. One of my favorites, BTW, is Dr. Strange, where his cameo has him reading a very interesting book on the bus.

Stan said his signature catchphrase "excelsior" meant "onward and upward". And so, again, "excelsior."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

RIP Legend.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

I like that in that cartoon, Magneto and Dr. Doom are also pallbearers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

People Are Sharing Stan Lee’s Powerful 1968 Anti-Racism Editorial
https://junkee.com/stan-lee-racism-editorial/181923

In light of the passing of Marvel co-founder and pop culture behemoth Stan Lee overnight, memories and highlights from the comic-book legend’s lengthy career are being shared far and wide.

One moment in particular has stuck out for many of his fans — a 1968 editorial penned as part of his monthly column, ‘Stan’s Soapbox’, which boldly and succinctly stands against bigotry and racism of any kind.

Published during America’s civil rights movement, which commenced in earnest a decade earlier with Rosa Parks’ bus seat protest and culminated in 1968 with the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. and the enacting of the Civil Rights Act, Lee’s piece holds back zero punches in its assessment of the evils of racism.

“Let’s lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today,” Lee opens the article. “But, unlike a team of costumed super-villains, they can’t be halted with a punch in the snoot, or a zap from a ray gun. The only way to destroy them is to expose them—to reveal them for the insidious evils they really are.”

The editorial delves into the irrationality behind the hatred of others because of their race, firmly stating Lee, and by association Marvel’s, outright condemnation of bigotry. “Although anyone has the right to dislike another individual, it’s totally irrational, patently insane to condemn an entire race—to despise an entire nation—to vilify an entire religion.”

[snip]

Stan Lee’s legacy is undeniably one of equality and justice for the disenfranchised with many of his most famous comic creations still praised today for their status as allegories for the downtrodden and the marginalised.

[snip]

The original soapbox, from 1968:

below, from Twitter:
Brianna Wu
✔@Spacekatgal
1/ With #StanLee’s death, I hope many fans will take a moment and consider his life’s work - and ask if you’re living up to it.
More than any other theme, Lee tackled organized hatred and our duty to fight it. X-men is a barely disguised allegory about racism and homophobia.
2/ If you look at the 90s classic Xtinction Agenda, this is about a government turning fascist and putting people they fear into camps.
Unless, of course, they could use them - in which case they were enslaved. pic.twitter.com/HNCE4jmSVk

[snip][end]

He was born Stanley Martin Lieber and knew something about prejudice. Like so many Jews, he changed his name to, you know, "sound more American".

Yes, he should be remembered for creating some memorable characters whose movies are taking over cinemas. I would argue, though, that Brianna Wu is right -- Stan always thought these characters shouldn't be saintly do-gooders that the audience couldn't recognize. They were human, vulnerable, prone to infighting, addiction, and all the other human weaknesses. He challenged the Comics Code in the 70s, that ridiculous code of censorship that mandated that in every story, and this was part of the code, ""law and authorities could never be portrayed negatively". :roll:

I happen to like many of the Marvel films, not just because they are empty canisters of CGI and explosions. There's a lot of deeper stuff going on in these stories, and I think Stan was one of the people that always tried to weave that in. The superhero genre doesn't have to be vapid (just as not all science fiction is, either).

And from early on, he also felt comic books and their stories could and should contain social commentary. Definitely in the pages of the X-Men, but also other comics, as well.

Stan tried to leave the comic book field many times - go into other areas, write the infamous Great American Novel. He never did. He stayed with what he did best, and I praise him for that. People may stop reading comics after their teens but his characters are now being watched by all generations at the cinema. He did a cameo in every Marvel film released. One of my favorites, BTW, is Dr. Strange, where his cameo has him reading a very interesting book on the bus.

Stan said his signature catchphrase "excelsior" meant "onward and upward". And so, again, "excelsior."

So sick to think that 50 years later on his passing we are deeply entwined in racism due SOLELY to the actions of repuke voters who embolden this madness.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:26 pm 
Policy Wonk

Stan Lee was a comic-book hero to nerds like me. ’Nuff said!

Quote:
.........Flash forward to 1961. Stan Lee was pushing 40. With the exception of a wartime stint in the Army, he had been with what was now called Marvel Comics, writing westerns, monster stories, romances, whatever would sell, for over 20 years. He was bored.

But then, comics were boring. In the censorious ’50s, a sensationalistic book — “The Seduction of the Innocent” by Dr. Fredric Wertham — and resultant Congressional hearings into whether the medium was turning teenagers into “juvenile delinquents” resulted in comics publishers creating a self-censoring agency, the Comics Code Authority. Among the Code’s many restrictions:

“Policemen, judges, government officials and respected institutions shall never be presented in such a way as to create disrespect for established authority.”

“In every instance good shall triumph over evil, and the criminal punished for his misdeeds.”

“No comic magazine shall use the word ‘horror’ or ‘terror’ in its title.”

The CCA made comics as wholesome as milk. And about as interesting.

Stan was ready to quit, but his wife, Joan, challenged him. Before you quit, she told him, why not just for once try writing comics the way you’d like to see them done.

The result was a book created with Kirby called “The Fantastic Four.” It was a revelation. For the first time, here were characters who, for all their outlandish abilities, had personalities and problems like real human beings, who bickered and didn’t always like one another and who lived, not in some fictional Metropolis or Gotham, but in the heart of an actual city, New York..........

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:54 am 
Board Emeritus

Armie Hammer Slams Celebrities Who Shared Photos of Themselves with Stan Lee After His Death

Armie Hammer has some advice for people who want to honor Stan Lee‘s memory.

After Lee, who was behind Marvel Comics’ iconic superheroes, died at age 95, Hammer took issue with the pattern of his famous peers posting photos that they and Lee had posed in together.

https://people.com/movies/armie-hammer- ... -stan-lee/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:46 am 
Board Emeritus

This scene is why I still like the Raimi Spider-Mans the best. Really the heart of it. 2:15.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Comes right after Aunt May reveals she threw out Peter's comic books. :D
I've always felt this hints that she really does know Peter is Spider Man ... and is convincing him to get back into the suit. Whether or not that's the case ... the message is about the meaning of the story, and not just to kids like Henry Jackson, but even to old ladies like Aunt May.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:57 am 
Board Emeritus

This cracks me up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:04 am 
Board Emeritus

Oh yeah. Many of his cameos were utterly hilarious.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

All Stan Lee cameos in Marvel movies in 10 minutes

My favorite is at the 3:00 minute mark.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

I never heard Stan Lee. But apparently he was well loved, so it's a loss.

I was pretty down when Oliver Sacks died. I don't believe he was as well loved hereabouts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was a big fan of Oliver Sacks.

BTW, don't remember being here last time he was discussed 'here'.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was a big fan of Oliver Sacks.

BTW, don't remember being here last time he was discussed 'here'.

When I first heard he was dying, I posted this...

http://radiofreeliberal.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14004&hilit=Oliver+sacks#p254638

It didn't generate any replies, so when he died, I just let it go.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

When I first heard he was dying, I posted this...

http://radiofreeliberal.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14004&hilit=Oliver+sacks#p254638

It didn't generate any replies, so when he died, I just let it go.

Ignorant here...Never heard of him

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

The book (and film) is about Dr. Malcolm Sayer, who in the film is played by Robin Williams. The book is a memoir by Sacks.