RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Congresswoman Marcia Fudge (D-OH) is getting ready to challenge Nancy Pelosi for the Speakership.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ma ... f89267a979.

Ms. Fudge is a member of Congressional Black Caucus.

I don’t hate Nancy. I think Nancy has been a very good leader,” Fudge told HuffPost. “I just think it’s time for a new one.”

There has been grumbling from CBC over Congresswoman's Pelosi failure to endorse Congressman Jim Clayburn (D-SC) for Majority Whip, the number three position in Majority Leadership.

But she wants our endorsements?” Fudge said of Pelosi. “Who has she endorsed?” “We’re not feeling the love,” she added.

Several of the new in-coming Democrat have gone on record saying they will not vote for Ms. Pelosi.

The Vote for Leadership in the Democratic Majority is scheduled for November 28.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ridiculous. I'm tired of the attacks on Pelosi, and this plays right into enemy hands.

Pelosi lead and rode the Blue Wave to a huge victory. The conflict going on right now between dems over Pelosi is sickening. Now is not the time for this. It smells. Bad.

And Chuck Schumer lost senate seats but he got voted back as minority leader in the Senate.

Voting with hurt fees to pwn the libs:
Quote:
because of this board... it will be very hard for me to support a Democratic candidate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

This is all theater. At least to me. She will be reelected Speaker, but she does have to pay attention now.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

Last edited by marindem on Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't take sides on the elections of house speaker. I see it as the business of the elected members.

Marcia Fudge has a pledge. A pledge is kind of a gimmick which at times has been effective. The most recent example when it was effective is that contract with America the Grinch used.

The fact that the Grinch was the last to use an effective pledge doesn't mean Fudge likes the Grinch. She appears to have the right kind of district a speaker needs to have, she wins with 85%. I see no indication that she lacks the savvy. I guess it is up to the members of the house to decide.

This is that pledge:

I pledge My Earnest Efforts To:
Share truth

Verify: fact-check information to confirm it is true before accepting and sharing it
Balance: share the whole truth, even if some aspects do not support my opinion
Cite: share my sources so that others can verify my information
Clarify: distinguish between my opinion and the facts
Honor truth

Acknowledge: acknowledge when others share true information, even when we disagree otherwise
Reevaluate: reevaluate if my information is challenged, retract it if I cannot verify it
Defend: defend others when they come under attack for sharing true information, even when we disagree otherwise
Align: align my opinions and my actions with true information
Encourage truth

Fix: ask people to retract information that reliable sources have disproved even if they are my allies
Educate: compassionately inform those around me to stop using unreliable sources even if these sources support my opinion
Defer: recognize the opinions of experts as more likely to be accurate when the facts are disputed
Celebrate: celebrate those who retract incorrect statements and update their beliefs toward the truth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

So many of the anti-Pelosi-ites have the same kind of bad attitude I observed in assholes like Todd Gitlin and the nauseating Eric Alterman after the 2000 election when they tried to demonize Ralph Nader. And then there was James Ridgeway who referred to them as "the meanest bunch of motherfuckers I have ever run across."

The thing is...who hates Pelosi more than anybody? The fucking Republicans, that's who. She's tough, she know how to win, she gets stuff done and she raises a ton of money. Who would be happiest if Tim Ryan ends up becoming speaker? The fucking Republicans. I'm for the Democrats who the Republicans hate, and fear the most. They hate and fear Pelosi more than anybody.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

There is suppose to a deal in the works that will give Progressives some of open committee chairs. Part of the problem with Ms. Pelosi is that she is seen an an elitist. She and some the leadership have taken things for granted. Ms. English is part of CBC, but see that Pelosi did not endorse James Clyburn for Whip.

In the past Ms. Pelosi has taken thing for granted including the support of Progressives.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

I know, let's put some "progressive" in the job who still hasn't figured out the ropes of having a seat in the House, and watch them get nothing done because they don't know what the fuck they're doing.

Jesus fucking christ...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Prgressives did more than their share of heavy lifting in an election that has seen the largest single change in party majority since 1974.

That deserves to be acknowledged.

And is what the Corporate Dems like Pelosi and HRC have always failed to appreciate. The leg work, the shoe leather, the phone calls and the money donated by Progressives. They have been take for granted and their time has come.

I fully support Pelosi being elected Speaker. But she has to give Progressives their due and to date she has been reluctant to do that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

She IS a Progressive Dem. She founded the Congressional Progressive Caucus.

According to Progressive Punch, Nancy Pelosi is the 25th most progressive member in the House.

http://progressivepunch.org/scores.htm?house=house

That would put her in the top 6% out of 435.

I know, people hate pesky facts like that.

BTW, she is a member of End Citizens United, which, IMHO, makes her an ANTI-Corporate Democrat.

http://endcitizensunited.org/candidate/nancy-pelosi/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

She IS a Progressive Dem. She founded the Congressional Progressive Caucus.

According to Progressive Punch, Nancy Pelosi is the 25th most progressive member in the House.

http://progressivepunch.org/scores.htm?house=house

That would put her in the top 6% out of 435.

I know, people hate pesky facts like that.

BTW, she is a member of End Citizens United, which, IMHO, makes her an ANTI-Corporate Democrat.

http://endcitizensunited.org/candidate/nancy-pelosi/

And what about this "pay attention now" which I assume is MD way of politely saying do what progs want her to do. NOW? This Woman has been kicking rightwing ass for decades. Yes she is rich, but she is also a progressive as you say.

I WANT To be wrong when I predicted the new crop of progs would do to us what the baggers did to the nazis, as in impede progress by making impossible demands, I want to be wrong...but am I going to be, shit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:14 pm 
Policy Wonk

I see where 45 is "supporting" Pelosi for Speaker. I see this as a rather childish attempt to turn progressives against her. Won't work Donald Duck, progressives and others don't give a shit what you say.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:45 am 
Board Emeritus

I see where 45 is "supporting" Pelosi for Speaker. I see this as a rather childish attempt to turn progressives against her. Won't work Donald Duck, progressives and others don't give a shit what you say.

That's what I thought about that headline too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:35 am 
Board Emeritus

I tell ya people...this is just another piece of evidence pointing to how fearful Republicans are of Nancy Pelosi in the speaker's chair.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:38 am 
Board Emeritus

Ms. Fudge doesn't support the Equality Act. She can go jump in the lake.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:02 am 
Board Emeritus

Another delusional christian fundamentalist in public office...that's just fuckiing great. For some people it's always going to be their religion before everything. Such people should be restricted from holding any government office, much less handed the position of Speaker of the US House.

She's a habitual member of churches involved in the "Holiness Christian Movement". A movement with the following stated goal, "To spread Christian holiness over these lands.” It's the christian version of a caliphate for christ's sake.

Here's my suggestion for Marcia...resign your seat in the US House and go sit in church. If the Democratic party allows this lunatic to ascend to any position of power or authority in the government of this country they're worse than Republicans.

Make no mistake, this woman is a theocrat...and when push comes to shove, Marcia Fudge is no different from Mike Pence. In the world of Marcia Fudge, the rule of law will end up being biblical law. So what if she's pro-choice. Fucking Susan Collins is pro-choice and she voted to confirm a self-pitying, pathologically lying, sniveling weasel, sexual assault perpetrator for justice of the Supreme Court. Susan Collins will not vote for the bill to protect the Mueller investigation. Who TF cares if Marcia Fudge is pro-choice. It's bad enough she has a seat in the US House at all.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:39 am 
Board Emeritus

Another delusional christian fundamentalist in public office...that's just fuckiing great. For some people it's always going to be their religion before everything. Such people should be restricted from holding any government office, much less handed the position of Speaker of the US House.

She's a habitual member of churches involved in the "Holiness Christian Movement". A movement with the following stated goal, "To spread Christian holiness over these lands.” It's the christian version of a caliphate for christ's sake.

Here's my suggestion for Marcia...resign your seat in the US House and go sit in church. If the Democratic party allows this lunatic to ascend to any position of power or authority in the government of this country they're worse than Republicans.

Oh, I didn't know that about her.

Holiness are out of Methodism/Wesleyanism - it's a big movement. Strange as it may sound, Black Holiness in practice tend to be kind of nice old-school Pentecostals (there was often a lot of overlap in the early days of Pentecostalism), prior to Charismaticism and some of the newer, more socially-virulent forms of Pentecostalism. They're known for strictness but I don't think they're like the caliphate, and of the African Americans among them, they are probably like Ms. Fudge, Dem voters, and not Trumpenkriegers. But I'd also be fine with her going sitting in a church. I remember when she won the seat after the death of Stephanie Tubbs Jones and remember her being quite outspoken against the teabaggers. So I was disappointed in her attitude around the Equality Act.

Get it together, Marica. :problem:

Last edited by carmenjonze on Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:41 am 
Board Emeritus

Marcia's statement on her position on the Equality Act is kind of strange.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/17/politics ... index.html

She elaborated, saying, "What I opposed was including the Equality Act in the current Civil Rights Act. The Civil Rights Act is over 50 years old and isn't even adequate to protect the people currently in it. I want us to do a new and modern civil rights bill that protects the LGBTQ community and updates protections for this era. I do not believe it is appropriate to open and relitigate the current Civil Rights Act."

[snip][end]

That statement sounds vaguely like what I occasionally hear from Black conservatives who say gay rights are not the same as civil rights for racial minorities. Why is not appropriate to "open" the Civil Rights Act and add a new class of protected people - on the basis of sexual orientation? Maybe it does need to be updated and strengthened, OK - what does that have to do with adding another protected category to it?

I should note many other members of the Congressional Black Caucus did not share her position or "concerns".

Also, from what I've read, though she was Chairwoman of the CBC, not all of them are backing her challenge to Pelosi.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:52 am 
Board Emeritus

Marcia's statement on her position on the Equality Act is kind of strange.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/17/politics ... index.html

She elaborated, saying, "What I opposed was including the Equality Act in the current Civil Rights Act. The Civil Rights Act is over 50 years old and isn't even adequate to protect the people currently in it. I want us to do a new and modern civil rights bill that protects the LGBTQ community and updates protections for this era. I do not believe it is appropriate to open and relitigate the current Civil Rights Act."

[snip][end]

That statement sounds vaguely like what I occasionally hear from Black conservatives who say gay rights are not the same as civil rights for racial minorities. Why is not appropriate to "open" the Civil Rights Act and add a new class of protected people - on the basis of sexual orientation? Maybe it does need to be updated and strengthened, OK - what does that have to do with adding another protected category to it?

I should note many other members of the Congressional Black Caucus did not share her position or "concerns".

Also, from what I've read, though she was Chairwoman of the CBC, not all of them are backing her challenge to Pelosi.

Well..it's out of those pre-2008 and certainly pre-2004 Dem attitudes towards LGBTQ rights we had to struggle against, and the reason there are two cases that might go before the SCOTUS on exactly workplace protection matters, and the definitions of "sex" as well as "gender" in workplace discrimination. Right now, the DOJ is at war with the EEOC over these definitions, themselves.

So f. her. lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well..it's out of those pre-2008 and certainly pre-2004 Dem attitudes towards LGBTQ rights we had to struggle against, and the reason there are two cases that might go before the SCOTUS on exactly workplace protection matters, and the definitions of "sex" as well as "gender" in workplace discrimination. Right now, the DOJ is at war with the EEOC over these definitions, themselves.

So f. her. lol

I don't think you're following what she's saying and as result you're pushing away a someone who could be a friend.

I want to point out this: >>>"... to open and relitigate the current Civil Rights Act."

Two things are there, "to open," I think of that as to reopen. And relitigate, I think of that as to litigate. The re moves to open, when it is reopened. It's a new case when the law has been reopened and something new placed in there.

She's being wise considering the political climate. How can one conceive of reopening something like the current Civil Rights Act, while we're having such a bad storm and that Sturmabteilung is drifting up in the howling wind.

Haven't you noticed the political blizzard blowing out there?

I find the thought of redrafting the current Civil Rights Act right now kind of scary for the risk that more of their awful ideas will fester into it than any good we could muster to add to it at this point in time.

And then the whole thing has to be litigated. I have noticed that now, and for an indeterminate time into the future it may not be a favorable time to be litigating the Civil Rights Act issues again, again. It went pretty good that last time, it's wise to leave that standing right now.

If we try to reopen a big thing like the Civil Rights Act some Republicans and assorted sorts will love that. When it's open it becomes an open season to make changes, both forward and back. Two bidirectional sides to that.

We won a good bit in the midterms, but not a clear enough a reversal to tackle this. So what I read is she's being wise about the battles she picks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't think you're following what she's saying and as result you're pushing away a someone who could be a friend.

So what if that's what you think. I determine who my friends are, not paternalstic white males like yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Donnie is trying to a rise out Pelosi and she is not going to go for it. I am looking forward to see Ms. Pelosi in the Speakers Chair for TSOTU Address. Not he will not say much except for how great he is and there Mueller Investigation is a Witch Hunt. But hot damn, to see her sitting there with a smile on her face.....it will be worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Donnie is trying to a rise out Pelosi and she is not going to go for it. I am looking forward to see Ms. Pelosi in the Speakers Chair for TSOTU Address. Not he will not say much except for how great he is and there Mueller Investigation is a Witch Hunt. But hot damn, to see her sitting there with a smile on her face.....it will be worth it.

Exactly. Like he even cares.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

And I see "corporate dems" is making a return.

That KGB talking point is bad for our side, I am not saying anyone who uses it is KGB but they are doing their work for them when they dol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Blah

Ocasio-Cortez backs campaign to primary fellow Democrats - Politico

Quote:
The incoming star congresswoman from New York again put the Democratic establishment on notice that she and activist groups on the left aren’t content with a Democratic-controlled House: They are determined to move the party to the left.

"Long story short, I need you to run for office," Ocasio-Cortez said Saturday on a video conference call hosted by Justice Democrats, as the group launched a campaign dubbed “#OurTime.” Justice Democrats supported Ocasio-Cortez's primary campaign against powerful Rep. Joe Crowley (D-N.Y.).

:problem:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

They are coming after the party, will destroy it of course and will not do anything against republicans, only Democrats. OH WELL America was nice while it lasted..

Did I predict, of course. What they will do is refuse to go along with anything other than what they want and then demand their candidates be elected.