RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

K. You hope for the impossible, I'll settle for politicians enacting legislation that the SCOTUS won't strike down, because even Scalia accepted there could be some gun control in his ruling.

Hate me for trying to do the possible we could do, maybe even starting in January.

I agree there's tough times ahead in the Senate, and a douchebag in the WH with a veto pen, but still, in that range, you never know what can happen.

The idea of forcing the government to end the Vietnam war was still "impossible" in 1972. But by 1975 it was over.

What the Republican party is doing now would have been considered impossible in 2015. It's possible now. When the fear of losing one's cushy job in the legislative branch becomes real enough, anything is possible. In 1972 politicians of both parties were beginning to believe that if they didn't do something they would be chasing ambulances in Keokuk. And they did something.

So us it majorly improbable. Of course it is...but not because of the politicians. Because of the lazy ass, entitled people.

BUT YOU'RE NOT RACIST....EXCEPT WHEN YOU ARE.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Panic at Walter Reed after exercise mistaken as active shooter

Panic ensued Tuesday at Walter Reed hospital in Bethesda, Md., after an active shooter exercise was thought to be an actual shooting.

The U.S. Navy said in a tweet Tuesday that there was no shooter at the hospital and that the incident was an "ad hoc drill by tenant command."

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... ve-shooter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:25 am 
Policy Wonk

Ex-Uber driver sentenced to life without parole in 6 shooting deaths

Quote:
A southwestern Michigan man who fatally shot six strangers in between picking up passengers for Uber was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison with no chance of parole.

Jason Dalton, 48, received the mandatory sentence in Kalamazoo County court. He pleaded guilty to murder and attempted murder last month, just as jury selection was about to begin.

Dalton admitted shooting eight people in three locations in the Kalamazoo area in February 2016..............

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

The military took over DTLA last night and perhaps the night before too. Lots of photos of combat troops running across a closed Olympic Blvd, and helicopters staging on the baseball field at Dodger Stadium. These urban exercises have become quite common in L.A.. We are told that it's to train for urban warfare abroad. I'm not sure I believe that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

The military took over DTLA last night and perhaps the night before too. Lots of photos of combat troops running across a closed Olympic Blvd, and helicopters staging on the baseball field at Dodger Stadium. These urban exercises have become quite common in L.A.. We are told that it's to train for urban warfare abroad. I'm not sure I believe that.

I haven't visited there as of late but I can guarantee you nobody in what used to be Battering Ram territory believes that, either...

With this race baiting comment outta carmen, I feel I owe the guy [glen] an apology.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:15 am 
Board Emeritus

Scumbag. I hate having to share this state with creeps like him.

Trump Ally Tries To Remove Parkland Fathers From Gun Violence Hearing
https://www.npr.org/2019/02/06/69204627 ... ce-hearing

A longtime Trump ally pushed to have two fathers of Parkland victims tossed out of a congressional hearing on gun violence — a reflection of the vociferous nature of the debate Democrats have made a priority in the new Congress.

Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., sparked commotion in the hearing when he listed circumstances in which violence was committed by undocumented immigrants, and said the solution would be to build the Trump-backed wall along the Southwest border.

[snip]

This led to protests in the hearing room by the fathers of two Parkland shooting victims, Manuel Oliver and Fred Guttenberg. Gaetz responded by asking for their removal. The public is not allowed to comment during congressional hearings, and the two were given a warning.

Pointing at Oliver and Guttenberg, the Florida Republican continued to press for them to be removed from the room. "I'd observe three interruptions of my time by the same individual, and the chair is not exercising his discretion to remove that individual," Gaetz said.

After the exchange, Guttenberg told NPR what he and Oliver had said to Gaetz in the hearing: "Manny told Gaetz his comments were not true, and I said our loved ones were killed by an American male."

Later, Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., tried to rebut Gaetz's remarks. Listing off a number of mass shootings, Cohen noted that they were not conducted by immigrants who entered the country illegally.

[snip]

The House Judiciary Committee's Wednesday hearing on gun violence was the first of its kind in nearly eight years. The panel has not had a hearing on this topic since Republicans took control of the House in 2011 following the Tea Party wave in the 2010 midterms.

[snip]

Republicans oppose the proposal to expand background checks, and instead urged Democrats to focus on mental health and morality. :roll:

"I haven't heard anyone talk about the breakdown of the home, the breakdown of moral teachings. That certainly has had an effect," said Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas. :roll:

But Democrats maintained that the problem of gun violence would not be solved merely by addressing mental health.

"I'm sure no one objects to dealing with mental health problems," said House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler, D-N.Y. "[But] gun deaths in most other countries are in the double or triple digits... in our country its 35,000-40,000 per year. Is there any evidence... that mental health differences, that our people are 10,000 times more mentally ill... than people in other industrialized countries?"

[snip][end]

I so love it when Nadler takes the time to return people to reality.

So, Rep. Gaetz, can you name ANY mass shootings (not individual interpersonal crimes or murders/shootings) by undocumented immigrants? You all keep talking about shootings in cities in the northern parts of the U.S. like ... yes a certain northern city. Do you really believe immigrants crossing our southern border are responsible for those?

I can tell you there's lots of undocumented immigrants in Florida, Rep. Gaetz, quite a few apparently working in Immokalee or for Flo-Sun in the Everglades, but they got here by boat, not crossing any borders on foot.

This is without even getting into the effectiveness of any 'wall'. :roll:

That he threw out two fathers of children killed at Parkland ... I repeat, he's scum.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Gaetz is an oozing rectal orifice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Gaetz just needs a couple of really good, really HARD slaps to the face.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

an earlier report says he was laid off, this one says the shooting started immediately after a meeting with several people with his coworkers and plant manager and human resources people being killed. so its not clear if he was being fired or was in a group of people being laid off.

Illinois shooter had just been told he was fired

Quote:
........Ziman revealed several new details Saturday about the rampage, including: Right before the shooting, Martin was being fired in a Friday afternoon meeting with several people in an upstairs room at the warehouse.

Investigators don't know whether Martin knew before the meeting that he was going to be fired, or why he was being terminated, Ziman said. But he brought the gun, apparently concealed, into the meeting room, she said.

"My understanding from witnesses is that he opened fire right after the termination," she said.

"We can surmise he was speculative about (his firing), as evidenced by him arming himself with a firearm," the chief said. "I don't know exactly what was communicated to him (beforehand)."

Several of the people in that meeting were killed -- and witnesses say he walked out of the room and continued to fire. Several people called 911, starting at 1:24 p.m. CT.

At least one worker was found dead on a separate level from the meeting room, Ziman said..........

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:15 pm 
Policy Wonk

ABC News' '20/20' documentary on Kalamazoo Uber shooting to air Friday

It will air on ABC at 9 p.m. Friday

Kalamazoo Uber shootings: Meet the victims of Jason Dalton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:21 am 
Policy Wonk

a bill to proliferate gun violence to places that its not currently allowed in.

St. Louis mayor voices opposition to repealing gun-free zones in Missouri

Quote:
.......But Krewson, whose first husband was shot and killed during an attempted carjacking, doesn't see it that way.

In fact, she referenced a shooting outside a Target store in St. Charles this week to make her point.

In that case, a delivery truck driver, Jaylen Walker, 21, was shot and potentially paralyzed after a dispute over a handicapped parking spot.............

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Arkansas Sen. Stephanie Flowers on 'stand your ground' bill

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

:clap:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:31 pm 
Policy Wonk

STL architect offers to build Amazon driver who was shot new wheelchair-friendly home

Quote:
ST. LOUIS — Nearly $40,000 has been raised on GoFundMe for an Amazon delivery driver who may never walk again.

Jaylen Walker is an Amazon delivery driver who was shot in the spine after a fight in a parking lot.

That day Walker learned his life would never be the same.

"I'll be paralyzed for the rest of my life. There were so many things [going through my head]," Walker said..............

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:02 am 
Board Emeritus

This is just a Chicago street shooting, but it made the news because it happened at a big River North Chicago nightclub called the SoundBar. More than anything else, the SoundBar is known for being a "free-fire zone" where half the assholes in the crowd are probably carrying. Instead of the normal competition for who's the prettiest and coolest, this fuckng upscale septic tank is known for competition for who's the "baddest." It's primarily a hangout for wealthy gangbangers to posture with each other, and for stupid suburbanites who think it's exciting to hang out at a place where you never know who's gonna end up shot. This is obviously not the first shooting there, and incidents of armed robberies on the streets and in the alleys around the SoundBar are monumentally higher than any other location in the upscale River North neighborhood near downtown.

So last Thursday night right out in front of the entrance, a brawl broke out between two groups of asshole gangbangers. A big (6' 8" 300 pounds) and apparently lovable but menacing bouncer named Thurman "The Therminator" Bailey was doing his assigned job, attempting to break up this fucking nonsense, when one of the gangsters pulled out a Glock and put multiple rounds into Bailey and wounded another particpant in the arm. Bailey was DOA at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

But it's "gang related" and apparently not a problem in the world of the 2nd Amendment.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:44 am 
Board Emeritus

Ike, why doesn't Chicago do what the small town I grew up in did??? If someone killed another someone in a bar, the bar was closed by ordinance for 30 days. There was no exception. Who's fault it was was for the trial, not for the closing of the bar.

Then if a bar had a second killing they were closed for a year.

Three strikes and they were out, closed forever, it was recorded on the property deed. That location was deemed unsuitable for the issuance of a liquor license.

Like they do if a place is too close to a school.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ike, why doesn't Chicago do what the small town I grew up in did???

I suppose, because Chicago isn't Cabbageville and the cops can't just shut a place down whenever they feel like it. I suspect it would require revamping of the structure of licensesure which would require re-writing the ordinances, and getting them passed through the City Council. I'm sure there would be objections to structure that would give the city more authority than some of the city council members would be happy with. There are protections in place to keep this city from just forcing any licensed business to close up without satisfying a long list of possible violations of ordinances and licensure.

As it should be. Back in the day, all big cities would use their authority to just close up any establishment that they didn't want. The first type that comes to mind is gay bars. And we all know what happened in NYC Stonewall riots, or maybe I'm expecting to much of you. The next that comes to mind are establishments owned by the wrong ethnic or racial group. There's no quation that place is an upscale den of vipers. Should the city be able to close it down for that? The brawl and shooting took place on a public street, not inside the establishment. I don't know what the law or licensure is.

Maybe you want a government that can just go perp this sort of shit on any business any time they feel like it...some of us don't.

Then again...maybe the City of Chicago has already done so after this latest incident. Beats me, and I'm not interested in taking the time to try to figure it out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

I suppose, because Chicago isn't Cabbageville and the cops can't just shut a place down whenever they feel like it. I suspect it would require revamping of the structure of licensesure which would require re-writing the ordinances, and getting them passed through the City Council. I'm sure there would be objections to structure that would give the city more authority than some of the city council members would be happy with. There are protections in place to keep this city from just forcing any licensed business to close up without satisfying a long list of possible violations of ordinances and licensure.

As it should be. Back in the day, all big cities would use their authority to just close up any establishment that they didn't want. The first type that comes to mind is gay bars. And we all know what happened in NYC Stonewall riots, or maybe I'm expecting to much of you. The next that comes to mind are establishments owned by the wrong ethnic or racial group. There's no quation that place is an upscale den of vipers. Should the city be able to close it down for that? The brawl and shooting took place on a public street, not inside the establishment. I don't know what the law or licensure is.

Maybe you want a government that can just go perp this sort of shit on any business any time they feel like it...some of us don't.

Then again...maybe the City of Chicago has already done so after this latest incident. Beats me, and I'm not interested in taking the time to try to figure it out.

I don't see why what I was talking about would become a slippery slope for what you talked about.

And for your information I did not grow up in cabbageville. Cabbage likes the climate around more northern places like Chicago.

I grew up in Cactiville. Near Yuccaville.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:57 am 
Board Emeritus

Brazil shooting: At least five children killed after teenage gunmen open fire at primary school in Sao Paulo

At least seven people including five children have been killed in a shooting at a primary school Sao Paulo.

Two teenage attackers opened fire outside the school before entering the building and gunning down pupils and staff on Wednesday morning, Brazilian media reported.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 21046.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:30 am 
Board Emeritus

I don't see why what I was talking about would become a slippery slope for what you talked about.

And for your information I did not grow up in cabbageville. Cabbage likes the climate around more northern places like Chicago.

I grew up in Cactiville. Near Yuccaville.

It's just a figure of speech to reference pretty much any bright red ville or burg in the country. Is there a cabbage farm within the Chicago city limits? I'd be pretty surprised. But it there was...dollar to a donut the farmer voted for Hillary...as opposed to the farmers in Cactiville or Yuccaville whether either place actually exists, or not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sandy Hook Massacre: Gun Makers Lose Major Ruling Over Liability

The Connecticut Supreme Court dealt a major blow to the firearms industry on Thursday, clearing the way for a lawsuit to move forward against the companies that manufactured and sold the semiautomatic rifle used by the gunman in the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

The ruling allows the lawsuit brought by victims’ relatives to go to trial, which could force gun companies to turn over internal communications that they have fiercely fought to keep private and provide a revealing — and possibly damaging — glimpse into how the industry operates.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/14/nyre ... court.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

This is farther away from my neighborhood

Gambino crime family boss Frank Cali shot and killed outside Staten Island home: sources

NEW YORK — Gambino crime family boss Frank (Franky Boy) Cali was gunned down and run over Wednesday night in a gory hit in front of his Staten Island home, police sources said.

Cali, 53, was shot six times in the chest, and run over by a blue pickup truck on Hilltop Terrace near Four Corners Road in Todt Hill about 9:15 p.m. Medics took him to Staten Island University Hospital, where he died.

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/ ... me-sources

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Todt Hill.... mmmmmm. Nice place, not to mention German for "dead."

Perhaps the Italian mob is housecleaning. They have some catching up to do with the Russian mob.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Even if I completely agreed with you, Ike, and I'm most of the way (I'd ban large-capacity magazines for semi-automatic pistols and long guns, tomorrow), short of amending the 2nd amendment, how do you propose getting what you want past a post-Heller SCOTUS that would clearly strike it down?

Is your proposal that a "critical mass" of liberals could strike down or amend the 2nd amendment? It would seem to me we have to do that. Even if I think the SCOTUS is interpreting it incorrectly, and I do believe so, they have ruled ... only other path is a massive change in the Court.

I dont believe it requires striking down or amending anything. All it requires is the Congress outlawing the sale of handguns and assault weapons. The Second Amendment doesnt specify types of firearms. Americans would still have their goddamn right to bear arms. Just not the arms they want.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:36 pm 
Policy Wonk

Christchurch, New Zealand. Mass shooting at mosque. City is in lockdown (Population approximately just under 400,000)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... ident-live
Quote:
A witness says many people have been killed in a mass shooting at a mosque in the New Zealand city of Christchurch.

Police have not described the scale of the Friday shooting but urged people in central Christchurch to stay indoors.

Witness Len Peneha says he saw a man dressed in black enter the Masjid Al Noor mosque and then heard dozens of shots, followed by people running from the mosque in terror.

NOTE: The shooter streamed a video of the shooting(s). If you choose to watch the video, that's your choice, but please do not share it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:54 am 
Board Emeritus

Game changer. Are gun manufacturers responsible for what people do with their products? No BUT ... they can face consequences for how they are marketed ...

Court rules gun maker Remington can be sued over Newtown shooting
Remington has denied wrongdoing and previously insisted it can't be sued under the federal law that shields gun manufacturers from liability in most cases when their products are used in crimes.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/co ... wn-n983296

HARTFORD, Conn. — Gun maker Remington can be sued over how it marketed the Bushmaster rifle used to kill 20 children and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012, a divided Connecticut Supreme Court ruled Thursday.

Justices issued a 4-3 decision that reinstated a wrongful death lawsuit and overturned a lower court ruling that the lawsuit was prohibited by a 2005 federal law that shields gun manufacturers from liability in most cases when their products are used in crimes.

The plaintiffs include a survivor and relatives of nine people killed in the massacre. They argue the AR-15-style rifle used by shooter Adam Lanza is too dangerous for the public and Remington glorified the weapon in marketing it to young people.

[snip]

"The regulation of advertising that threatens the public's health, safety, and morals has long been considered a core exercise of the states' police powers," Justice Richard Palmer wrote for the majority.

[snip]

"The families' goal has always been to shed light on Remington's calculated and profit-driven strategy to expand the AR-15 market and court high-risk users, all at the expense of Americans' safety," Koskoff said Thursday. "Today's decision is a critical step toward achieving that goal."

[snip][end]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next