It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Much love to his family.

US Rep. Walter Jones of North Carolina enters hospice care

A Republican congressman who has represented North Carolina for over two decades has entered hospice care.

A news release issued Saturday on the official government page for U.S. Rep. Walter Jones Jr. says that his health has declined since he recently broke his hip and that he's in hospice care.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/wir ... e-60649266

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Mr. freedom fries.

His position overall appears to have been somewhat moderate.

However his tendency to follow where the pack wanted to go when leadership was needed means he's not going to get a leadership ribbon from me.

If asked, after 23 years in Congress what did you accomplish in Congress?

"Well, I tried to get them to rename french fries on the menu in House cafeteria. And after the war in Iraq did not go so swell I blamed Bush for it."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

We need to put aside politics and pray the man is able to move out of hospice care and get
back on the road to recovery.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Only a Conservative would attack a fellow human being when they are ill and hospice care.

Way to go sam, you are living down to your reputation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

People do sometimes recover from hospice, but generally, once in hospice, their passing is soon.

I hope you do not suffer too much, Rep. Jones, and your passing does not bring too much pain to your family.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:16 pm 
Policy Wonk

My 97 year old mom was in hospice care last year and it was explained to me while a few
"graduate" to palliative care, the purpose of hospice care is to make the patient comfortable
but its clear the patient is not expected to recover. it took my mom two months to pass but
she's now with my dad who passed in 2002.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Only a Conservative would attack a fellow human being when they are ill and hospice care.

Way to go sam, you are living down to your reputation.

If at anytime during your life you get all pumped up with neocons and advocate for, and then cast your vote to start a war of aggression, then i guarantee I will not only piss on your grave, I'll talk about doing it at your funeral.

:|

Got that!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_B._Jones_Jr.

Jones called on President George W. Bush to apologize for misinforming Congress to win authorization for the war. Jones said, "If I had known then what I know today, I wouldn't have voted for that resolution."[43]

He contends that the United States went to war "with no justification."[3][40] On the subject, he said, "I just feel that the reason of going in for weapons of mass destruction, the ability of the Iraqis to make a nuclear weapon, that's all been proven that it was never there." He added that his change of opinion came about from attending the funeral of a sergeant killed in Iraq, when his last letter to his family was being read out. On June 16, 2005, he joined with three other members of Congress (Neil Abercrombie, Dennis Kucinich and Ron Paul) in introducing a resolution calling for the start of a withdrawal of U.S. forces from Iraq to begin by October 2006.[44] Jones covered the hallway outside his office with photographs of soldiers who had died in Iraq.[3] He said, "If we were given misinformation intentionally by people in this administration, to commit the authority to send boys, and in some instances girls, to go into Iraq, that is wrong. Congress must be told the truth."[3]

In 2007, he and Rep. William Delahunt (D–MA) introduced the Constitutional War Powers Resolution, which seeks to "prohibit the president from ordering military action without congressional approval, except when the United States or U.S. troops were attacked or when U.S. citizens needed to be evacuated."[45]

On January 12, 2007, he introduced H. J. Res. 14: Concerning the use of military force by the United States against Iran in the 110th congress.[46] According to Jones on his web site, the resolution requires that – absent a national emergency created by an attack, or a demonstrably imminent attack, by Iran upon the United States or its armed forces – the President must consult with Congress and receive specific authorization prior to initiating any use of military force against Iran.[47] This resolution was removed from a military spending bill for the war in Iraq by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D–CA) on March 13, 2007.[48]

On March 23, 2007, Jones was one of two Republicans to vote for a bill that would require President George W. Bush to bring combat troops home from Iraq by September 1, 2008. The other Republican was Wayne Gilchrest of Maryland's 1st congressional district.[49]

Jones' views on the war in Iraq did not ingratiate him to Bush or to the Republican leadership, which prevented him from succeeding the late Jo Ann Davis as ranking Republican on the Readiness Subcommittee of the Armed Forces Committee. He was passed over for Randy Forbes when the 110th Congress convened because the full committee's ranking member, Duncan Hunter of California, didn't agree with Jones' change of heart on the war.[50] He had been approached by some Democrats about bolting the GOP and either becoming an independent caucusing with the Democrats or switching back to the Democratic Party outright.[51] Additionally, Jones' changed views on the war and other issues angered many Republicans in his district, which has the largest military presence of any in North Carolina.[3]

On March 7, 2012, Jones introduced House Concurrent Resolution 107, proposing that Congress should consider waging wars without an Act of Congress as grounds for impeachment of the President for High Crimes and Misdemeanors according to the Constitution of the United States of America.[52]

In April 2017, Jones has criticized U.S. involvement in Saudi Arabian-led intervention in Yemen, highlighting that Al-Qaeda in Yemen "has emerged as a de facto ally of the Saudi-led militaries with whom [Trump] administration aims to partner more closely.

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

"Freedom fries" to quote the man. Iraqi human beings were freedom fries. Burnt to a crisp.

"The Iraq War was a protracted armed conflict that began in 2003 with the invasion of Iraq by a United States-led coalition that overthrew the government of Saddam Hussein. The conflict continued for much of the next decade as an insurgency emerged to oppose the occupying forces and the post-invasion Iraqi government. An estimated 151,000 to 600,000 or more Iraqis were killed in the first three to four years of conflict. The U.S. became re-involved in 2014 at the head of a new coalition; the insurgency and many dimensions of the civil armed conflict continue. The invasion occurred as part of a declared war against international terrorism and its sponsors under the administration of U.S. President George W. Bush following the September 11 terrorist attacks."

The quote above and here is from Wikipedia Iraq War page, "151,000 to 600,000 or more Iraqis were killed."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:51 am 
Board Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:32 am 
Board Emeritus

X, do you recall that day Ed died?

It was wasn't the same thing at all. Ed's friends are here.

When I ask for Civility it's not the same thing, I'm asking for civility to shield friends who are here from unreasonable personal attacks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:36 am 
Board Emeritus

When I ask for Civility it's not the same thing, I'm asking for civility to shield friends who are here from unreasonable personal attacks.

Feh...the vast majority of the time your demands for civility are as self-serving and self-absorbed as everything else that spews from your festering piehole around here. When it's been puked up in my direction it has been in reaction to something I have said to you...about you. Shielding friends, my ass.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:38 am 
Board Emeritus

As it relates to Mr. Jones, he's a human being and deserves to live.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:50 am 
Board Emeritus

Yeah. I can remember i did not say I would piss on his grave. :roll:

Quote:

Oh you've made it clear who you want to withhold it from, and who you will protect with it.

So, maybe, BTW, I want to also protect my friends too, like Carmen, and even Lib. You called Carmen a racist, Sam. Do you realize how fucking stupid that is? It's one thing to protect glen from personal attacks, I can see the need there - it's different to agree with him on nonsense.

Does Lib overdo it? I've told him so. Do I think despite some of his overdone-ness, is he a good man? I happen to know so. Sometimes we know of stuff that goes on off of message boards.

I'll leave it at that.

Have a day, Sam.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah. I can remember i did not say I would piss on his grave. :roll:

Oh you've made it clear who you want to withhold it from, and who you will protect with it.

So, maybe, BTW, I want to also protect my friends too, like Carmen, and even Lib. You called Carmen a racist, Sam. Do you realize how fucking stupid that is? It's one thing to protect glen from personal attacks, I can see the need there - it's different to agree with him on nonsense.

Does Lib overdo it? I've told him so. Do I think despite some of his overdone-ness, is he a good man? I happen to know so. Sometimes we know of stuff that goes on off of message boards.

I'll leave it at that.

Have a day, Sam.

Thanks prof, you are a very good man yourself.. Is this back to being about Ed again? I dont get it, he exposed himself to be a trumper at the end, even a Russian backed trumper, why would ANYONE who posts here other than a couple cons care about him AT ALL? Do they think these FACTS about Ed are fake news?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'll have a great day X. :)

I don't agree with Glen on nonsense, I don't support his political position, I support his person.

I don't think I've ever called Carmen a racist. I suggested that Carmen is being a race bigot, not a racist, you have decided to continue to equate them despite my having expressed it with an explained at the time distinction in meaning.

Your friends were the ones who were being systematically uncivil to mine long before I came along and said the first word.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

When Cons call for "Civility", it only goes one way, towards them. Cons, on the other hand are free lie and attack....if a Progressive should engage in the same behavior....its unfair.

glen has time and again slammed the late Ed Schultz for spousal abuse that was later denied by both parties.

On one hand sam you call civility, and on the other ignore it.

You cannot have it both ways.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Race bigot?

I know what that is, CJ is not that.

CJ is angry sometimes, she routinely wins EVERY argument she has with Sam and others, and is almost always willing to turn right around and wish them well on a special day or family event. Something I refuse to do anymore.

I can see why a white male would see CJ that way given the 200 plus year history of having full power over her in every way. When she expresses an opinion or fact, it sometimes it comes off differently had almost anyone else said it. Or any white male or any white person or in some cases any male.

Race bigot? Why, because she correctly identifies conservative whites as horrific, violent assholes? That is a matter of public record.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

When Cons call for "Civility", it only goes one way, towards them. Cons, on the other hand are free lie and attack....if a Progressive should engage in the same behavior....its unfair.

glen has time and again slammed the late Ed Schultz for spousal abuse that was later denied by both parties.

On one hand sam you call civility, and on the other ignore it.

You cannot have it both ways.

It??? On one hand sam you call civility, and on the other ignore it.

With civility there is the matter of what the issue is and who is saying what the ethic in question is. If it's a board issue about board people it's defined in the rules of the board. If it's a religious ethic, or political ethic, my view is it doesn't apply outside of that religious community.

I speak of civility where the issue at hand is an ethics which are defined by board rules.

The civility "it" ethic you appear to be referring to is more likely than not one which stems from a religious ethic which has been impressed upon the larger society over time. Something about "the" burial ritual. At least that is the impression I've gotten.

Applied metaphor aside, actually, literally, going to a funeral for the purpose of urination would violate my own ethic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'll have a great day X. :)

I don't agree with Glen on nonsense, I don't support his political position, I support his person.

I don't think I've ever called Carmen a racist. I suggested that Carmen is being a race bigot, not a racist, you have decided to continue to equate them despite my having expressed it with an explained at the time distinction in meaning.

And now that he's been caught out he's going to try playing some fucking semantical game to extract his sorry ass from this meat grinder he's stuff himself into. Your distinction explanation is no different from the dozen or so distinction explanations we get out of Sarah Huckabee every day when she's covering for the deranged animal.

Maybe what Sam needs is his very own Sarah Huckabee. It still won't make up for his attack on carmen. He doesn't agree with glen? He's cut from the same fucking cloth as glen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

And now that he's been caught out he's going to try playing some fucking semantical game to extract his sorry ass from this meat grinder he's stuff himself into. Your distinction explanation is no different from the dozen or so distinction explanations we get out of Sarah Huckabee every day when she's covering for the deranged animal.

Maybe what Sam needs is his very own Sarah Huckabee. It still won't make up for his attack on carmen. He doesn't agree with glen? He's cut from the same fucking cloth as glen.

Good Morning Ike Bana!

Akin to:

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

And, however much you want to split hairs, his views on Carmen.

BTW, Sam, I notice - cuz I had forgot - glen has said things about Ed Schultz far worse than I ever did, but I guess those were OK. Because? Why?

Quote:

If we're going by the academic definition, the one a certain kernel often rejected, the difference is between prejudice and discrimination. No one thinks Carmen has the power to discriminate against him.

He claims Carmen is bigoted or prejudiced against white people; you say the same thing: in my universe, that constitutes agreement. Take this as you wish, but you are both wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

The civility "it" ethic you appear to be referring to is more likely than not one which stems from a religious ethic which has been impressed upon the larger society over time. Something about "the" burial ritual. At least that is the impression I've gotten.

Applied metaphor aside, actually, literally, going to a funeral for the purpose of urination would violate my own ethic.

Atheists have funerals. I personally would not go and be rude at anybody's funeral, or yell about pissing on their grave ... there are family members there, and unlike Trump, I don't believe in collective punishment, there's no reason to antagonize family members in mourning for what their loved ones did.

I call that a human respect ethic.

On another point, I find it very bizarre to be hyper-focused on how people treat each other on MBs, and show indifferences to incivility toward people in the real world.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

Although many of us may not agree with Rep. Jones' political positions the least we can do is provide respect to him as a human being as his life is coming to an end. There are many people whose political positions I don't like but I don't want to see harm come to them nor would I "piss on their graves." There's a difference between criticizing a person and being disrespectful and it seems some member(s) on this board haven't learned that difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

Your friends were the ones who were being systematically uncivil to mine long before I came along and said the first word.

MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE STARTED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!