It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Make a note of this blog Big League Politics RW troublemakers

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam's yearbook page shows men in blackface, Klan robe

A 1984 Eastern Virginia Medical School yearbook page of future Gov. Ralph Northam shows a photo of a man in blackface and a man wearing an outfit of the Ku Klux Klan.

It was not immediately clear who was in the photo.

https://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/ ... 07d5d.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

He must be accomplishing good things as Governor, making deplorables nervous.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Racism isn't tolerable.

Doesn't matter that it was 1984. He needs to resign.

Voting with hurt fees to pwn the libs:
Quote:
because of this board... it will be very hard for me to support a Democratic candidate.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Racism isn't tolerable.

Doesn't matter that it was 1984. He needs to resign.

If it is true, and it appears to be true.

But before you say that, lets see what the states AA leaders have to say. If they say he has been their advocate and on their side since, that makes a big difference.

Plus, it is a good thing his replacement is a democrat, otherwise the LEAST patriotic thing he could do is resign. Think it thru.

A guy who did something racist 35 years ago or a republican who is actively racist NOW and a traitor which they all are if they support rump.

Last edited by Libertas on Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

It is true. He sent out an apology.

Voting with hurt fees to pwn the libs:
Quote:
because of this board... it will be very hard for me to support a Democratic candidate.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

It is true. He sent out an apology.

But when I originally posted here he had not, so up to that moment the only source was a rightwing source. As I read the original source was rightwing, since then others have reported it. I believe nothing a rightwing source says.

Quote:
But before you say that, lets see what the states AA leaders have to say. If they say he has been their advocate and on their side since, that makes a big difference.

Plus, it is a good thing his replacement is a democrat, otherwise the LEAST patriotic thing he could do is resign. Think it thru.

A guy who did something racist 35 years ago or a republican who is actively racist NOW and a traitor which they all are if they support rump.

Last edited by Libertas on Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

If this was a Senator the GOP would replace him.

Saying he should resign in that situation is saying we want an avid racist to take the seat vs someone who may have been one 35 years ago but has advocated for minorities since.

Makes NO SENSE to do that.

Or we want to remove someone NOT a traitor and put a traitor in.

NO, a republican politician is NOT an alternative EVER no matter the circumstances. Maybe if one of ours shot someone, maybe then

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

I say Norrham should resign when Kavanaugh resigns. I don't care how long ago it was when Kavanaugh raped Christine Blasaey Ford.

BUT YOU'RE NOT RACIST....EXCEPT WHEN YOU ARE.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

I say Norrham should resign when Kavanaugh resigns. I don't care how long ago it was when Kavanaugh raped Christine Blasaey Ford.

Lt Gov is Black Democrat so in this case it is acceptable

If it was a con, never.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:39 am 
Board Emeritus

I keep trying to say to people what the cesspool social climate of the country was in the Reagan/Bush/Thatcher/Botha era, aka the post-Civil Rights era, when this yearbook was published.

It says a lot about Norrham, yes, and it says plenty more about Virginia, Eastern Virginia Med School, Eastern Virginia Med School yearbook staff, the larger pervasive cancer of white conservative culture that fosters and rewards this kind of behavior in 25 year old white males of any political persuasion, and why in the world this is just now news.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:16 am 
Board Emeritus

Northam needs to resign. We Democrats hold higher standards than republicans so if it was a republican who had done this then we'd be demanding his resignation. We can't ignore Northam's actions 35 years ago just because he's a democrat.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:21 am 
Board Emeritus

He will probably resign, which is fine by me, but this would be a great opportunity to take a good hard look at laws and public policies that have been enacted out of this same white-supremacist mentality. Oh, and policies at Eastern Virginia Medical College that have had the same effect. It will be easy to make him a scapegoat when there are larger issues that this incident brings up that in general the country does not want to deal with.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:35 am 
Board Emeritus

Meanwhile, also in Virginia, last week...

Virginia’s lone black statewide official sits out Robert E. Lee tribute - WP

Quote:
RICHMOND — Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax, only the second African American elected to statewide office in Virginia, briefly bowed out of his duties in the state Senate on Friday in protest of a tribute to Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

Fairfax (D), who normally presides over Richmond’s upper chamber, stepped off the dais and let a Republican wield the gavel while Sen. Richard H. Stuart (R-King George) marked Lee’s 212th birthday with praise for “a great Virginian and a great American.”

“I believe there are certain people in history we should honor that way in the Senate . . . and I don’t believe that he is one of them,” Fairfax, a descendant of slaves, said in an interview afterward . “I think it’s very divisive to do what was done there, particularly in light of the history that we’re now commemorating — 400 years since the first enslaved Africans came to the commonwealth of Virginia.

“And to do that in this year in particular was very hurtful to a lot of people,” Fairfax said. “It does not move us forward, it does not bring us together. And so I wanted to do my part to make it clear that I don’t condone it.”

Heaping praise on Lee is nothing unusual in the former capital of the Confederacy. For most of the United States, Friday was the last workday before the Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday weekend. In Virginia, it was a state holiday: Lee-Jackson Day.

The General Assembly works through both the Lee-Jackson and MLK holidays, and elected officials from both parties have traditionally used the occasions to tip their hats to the Confederates and King alike. Comedian Stephen Colbert lampooned the Virginia Senate in 2013 for adjourning its MLK Day session in honor of Confederate Gen. Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson — on a motion from a Democrat, state Sen. R. Creigh Deeds of Bath.

:problem: I sure hope people up in arms about Northham's photo are equally upset about this sort of thing (not holding my breath for that.) That said, this is the guy who would replace Northam. Good on 'im.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:39 am 
Board Emeritus

And Mitch, too

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:42 am 
Board Emeritus

If it is true, and it appears to be true.

Typical one standard for republicans a different one for democrats.

This type of nonsense started when the left faked outrage when it was learned that Romney picked on a schoolmate some 50 years earlier.

So how about this? We just admit that we all did stupid things when we were children. Then we all stop the fake outrage and gotcha politics of personal destruction based on dumb ass things we did as children.

Then we apply that standard to all no matter if they are fsr left far right or somewhere inbetween.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:43 am 
Board Emeritus

And Mitch, too

And here I thought you were opposed to whataboutery

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:43 am 
Board Emeritus

Northam needs to resign. We Democrats hold higher standards than republicans so if it was a republican who had done this then we'd be demanding his resignation. We can't ignore Northam's actions 35 years ago just because he's a democrat.

We're in a culture war, 6. When the enemy starts demanding the same from their racists, their sexual assult perps and their pedophiles instead of attempting to elect them to a US Senate seat in Alabama and succeeding in electing them President...I will be right there demanding the resignations of Northam and Al Franken. But not now. Holding the moral high ground gets you nowhere when the enemy has no interest in doing anything but grinding you under their boot. Decend people in Italy in the 1920's and decent people in Germany in the 1930's tried to maintain the moral high ground above all else...and we all know what happened to them.

When Trump Kavanaugh, and every other participant in the criminal enterprise that the Republican Party has become decide to resign, is when you will hear me demanding than Northam resigns.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:45 am 
Board Emeritus

On one hand you are no hypocrite on the other hand you are 100pct wrong. Dumbass things done as a child should not follow you into adulthood. With certain exceptions of course.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:51 am 
Board Emeritus

1) I think it's up to the people of Virginia if he should resign.
2) I think it's interesting this happened just a day or two after his "controversial" remarks on abortion (which I did not think were all that actually controversial.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:52 am 
Board Emeritus

Typical one standard for republicans a different one for democrats.

This type of nonsense started when the left faked outrage when it was learned that Romney picked on a schoolmate some 50 years earlier.

So how about this? We just admit that we all did stupid things when we were children. Then we all stop the fake outrage and gotcha politics of personal destruction based on dumb ass things we did as children.

Then we apply that standard to all no matter if they are fsr left far right or somewhere inbetween.

So how's about this, glen.

How's about you just go fuck yourself, you lying-ass scumbag trumper. I'm in a culture war with people exactly like you. You're the fucking enemy glen. The best thing that could happen to this country is what is going to happen to people like you in this country going down the road, and I can only hope I will live long enough to see it. When the likes of you become so significantly in the minority that you will never be able to elect another scumbag like you to any office in this country. Recently white christians found themselves to no longer be the majority in this country...that's only step one. What is going to happen is that one day, this country will no longer be able to elect a Mitch McConnell or Mike Pence to public office again. You want a fucking white confederate christian country again? Good...fine...because the only thing that it coming for the likes of you, and there's nothing you can do to stop it, is that you will have to go find one somewhere else.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:53 am 
Board Emeritus

Dumbass things done as a child should not follow you into adulthood. With certain exceptions of course.

Like rape, eh? Well...you've already said no...not like rape.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:54 am 
Board Emeritus

So how about this? We just admit that we all did stupid things when we were children.

When that photo was taken in 1984, Northam was 25 years old. Is that still a "child"?

This sort of reminds me of Henry Hyde discussing a "youthful indiscretion" he committed at age 40.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:06 am 
Board Emeritus

When that photo was taken in 1984, Northam was 25 years old. Is that still a "child"?

This sort of reminds me of Henry Hyde discussing a "youthful indiscretion" he committed at age 40.

Or pedophile rapist Republican Speaker of the US House of Representatives Denis Hastert (along with a bunch of his fellow Republicans expressing their disbelief) pleading for clemency for himself.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:09 am 
Board Emeritus

I thought he wss younger than that. 24 hmm that puts.it in a different light. But still it was 35 years ago and we have had lawmakers who did much worse.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:10 am 
Board Emeritus

Like rape, eh? Well...you've already said no...not like rape.

Quit trying to make this about Bill Clinton