RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:47 am 
Policy Wonk

How Ralph Northam and others can repent of America’s original sin

Quote:
.......But as angry as I can become at those who mock black people and culture to justify their own sense of superiority, I also know that mockery, fear and hatred of black people are the result of a racial caste system, not its causes........

Quote:
.......Scapegoating politicians who are caught in the act of interpersonal racism will not address the fundamental issue of systemic racism. We have to talk about policy. But we also have to talk about trust and power. If white people in political leadership are truly repentant, they will listen to black and other marginalized people in our society. They will confess that they have sinned and demonstrate their willingness to listen and learn by following and supporting the leadership of others. To confess past mistakes while continuing to insist that you are still best suited to lead because of your experience is itself a subtle form of white supremacy.

At the same time, we cannot allow political enemies of Virginia’s governor to call for his resignation over a photo when they continue themselves to vote for the policies of white supremacy. If anyone wants to call for the governor’s resignation, they should also call for the resignation of anyone who has supported racist voter suppression or policies that have a disparate impact on communities of color.

While we must name and resist white supremacy, we can also recall that we are never alone in this work. During the 19th century, there were anti-racist abolitionists — black and white — who worked to subvert and transform a system that considered some people chattel. In the new dawn of Reconstruction, black and white men worked together in statehouses across the South to reimagine democracy. During the 20th century’s movements for labor unions, women’s suffrage, and civil, human and environmental rights, fusion coalitions of black, white, brown, Native and Asian worked together to pursue a more perfect union that both acknowledges our original sin and holds on to the hope that we might yet live up to the better angels of our nature. Whenever we ask what repentance means, we don’t have to start from scratch. We have a long tradition to draw on, full of examples of what true repentance must look like........

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:36 am 
Board Emeritus

IF that photo is of Northam ... he was already in medical school, a graduate/professional program, and 25 years old. Enough of the "dumbass in college" crap.

At 25, time to be held responsible for your actions.

Like I said, we're going to get to the point where people like Henry Hyde can call stuff they did at age 40 "a youthful indiscretion". :roll:

BTW, what Prof. Tyson is alleging is sexual assault, not harassment. (Doesn't meet technical definition of rape.)

Also, BTW, allow me to note that unless I'm misunderstanding glen, he just called for Dr. Blasey-Ford to be arrested.

No not Dr Ford because her accusations can not be proved nor disproved. There were other accusors who have been forced to admit their accusations were 100pct false. People who do that need to be charged with a crime.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:25 am 
Board Emeritus

BTW, let's look at the tally of actual accusers. Not one to normally cite Faux News, but this is the only site I can find that has indications on what happened with all the accusers.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/kavana ... e-they-now

-- Julie Swetnick did receive a referral for criminal investigation. There's no indication what's happened since. (At least here. Maybe one has, after this was written.) BTW, she never "admitted" what she said was "false," though people have said they found inconsistencies in her story.

-- Judy Munro-Leighton lied about being the author of an anonymous letter alleging Kavanaugh raped someone (evidently not her). She also received a criminal referral. But I don't know if you can be charged with falsely claiming to be the author of an anonymous letter. That isn't perjury, never occurred at a proceeding. BTW: if the anonymous letter's allegations are true, its author is still out there.

BTW, the story at the bottom I do not even remember hearing about at the original hearings. They say a Rhode Island man got a criminal referral for falsely claiming Kavanaugh raped a woman in a boat in 1985. The man isn't named and that seems like a very rare case of someone getting a criminal charge for alleging a sexual assault of someone else ...

My point being, other than Munro-Leighton lying about writing a letter, and this un-named man apparently lying about someone else (why didn't THAT person come forward?) ... no, none of the women that appear here "admitted they lied" about Kavanaugh. Nor was a criminal referral filed against Deborah Ramirez.

If Swetnick is still under investigation, I can't find anything stating yet she's been criminally charged, or the results of that investigation (probably still ongoing). (unless, BTW, it was dropped.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:08 am 
Board Emeritus

But back to the main subject of the thread -- looks like we're hitting one of those moments. Lift one rock, and a lot of cockroaches start scurrying.

There's not just one Yearbook photo here.

Mississippi Lieutenant Governor Was Member Of College Fraternity Under Fire For Racism
Some members of the fraternity donned blackface, wigs and Confederate flags.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mi ... 1e32aa6919

Mississippi Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves (R) was a member of a college fraternity that was known for pro-Confederate displays and run-ins with black students.

Reeves, who is running for governor in this fall’s election, was in Kappa Alpha Order at Millsaps College in Jackson, Mississippi. A 1993 yearbook lists him as a freshman that year, and he was featured as a Kappa Alpha member starting in the 1994 yearbook. The fraternity, which is still active at Millsaps, looks to Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee as its spiritual leader.

On Oct. 8, 1994, members of Kappa Alpha and another fraternity “donned Afro wigs and tied large Confederate flags around their necks,” according to an article in The Clarion-Ledger at the time. Some of them were also reportedly in blackface. The fraternity brothers “got into a shouting match” over the incident with some black students. The state fraternity leader defended the chapter, saying it was “getting a bad rap” and blamed a few rogue individuals.

[snip]

In 1995, the Kappa Alpha yearbook page showed a group of students standing with a Confederate flag in military attire. It’s not clear if Reeves is in the photo, although he was also pictured as a member of the fraternity that year.

In the 1993 yearbook, before Reeves pledged, the fraternity’s page showed students in a form of blackface, mocking Pacific Islanders ― with darkened faces, wearing grass skirts and leis ― and wearing Confederate flag paint.

[snip]

In 2013, Reeves spoke at an event for Sons of Confederate Veterans, a neo-Confederate organization that claims the Civil War was not about slavery.

[snip][end]

BTW, the 2013 incident is definitely past the point of youthful indiscretion, :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:41 am 
Board Emeritus

We were taught that in school. In Colorado and Utah, then back to Colorado for more being taught that, "the Civil War was not about slavery."

"It was about states rights."

:|

It was in the books. If one mentioned the Civil War, someone around was bound to think the discussion needed a refereeing just to make sure, "history remembers the Civil War was not about slavery." "History remembers the Civil War was about states rights."

It was in thee school books.

X, wasn't that the common knowledge in your neck of the woods?

Or maybe you're not old enough.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:56 am 
Board Emeritus

Well, Florida IS a weird state, Sam. We had only one minor Civil War battle, even though nominally part of the Confederacy, and I don't think it was very decisive.

My understanding is there was a required social studies course unit on "Americanism vs. Communism" ... that was the exact title, as I recall ... I think it was dropped a few years before I got into high school.

Anyway, I can tell you when we talked about it in high school history, we definitely discussed slavery as a cause. I don't know if things are different in the Panhandle, I did notice when I was living in Gainesville and I went to visit neighboring towns, in particular, I started to feel like I was in a different state. Even felt that way in Jax and Tally. More like Georgia and Alabama than the South Florida I knew.

I don't think I ever saw Confederate flags down here except in Davie, and that place is Redneck Central. Also, I understand, the HQ for the local Klan.

These days, I see far more Cuban, Venezuelan, and Puerto Rican flags, than the Confederate one.

Of course, there were three streets in Hollywood, FL who were named for famous Confederates - they were quietly renamed, recently, at a commission meeting, little fuss.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, Florida IS a weird state, Sam. We had only one minor Civil War battle, even though nominally part of the Confederacy, and I don't think it was very decisive.

My understanding is there was a required social studies course unit on "Americanism vs. Communism" ... that was the exact title, as I recall ... I think it was dropped a few years before I got into high school.

Anyway, I can tell you when we talked about it in high school history, we definitely discussed slavery as a cause. I don't know if things are different in the Panhandle, I did notice when I was living in Gainesville and I went to visit neighboring towns, in particular, I started to feel like I was in a different state. Even felt that way in Jax and Tally. More like Georgia and Alabama than the South Florida I knew.

I don't think I ever saw Confederate flags down here except in Davie, and that place is Redneck Central. Also, I understand, the HQ for the local Klan.

These days, I see far more Cuban, Venezuelan, and Puerto Rican flags, than the Confederate one.

Of course, there were three streets in Hollywood, FL who were named for famous Confederates - they were quietly renamed, recently, at a commission meeting, little fuss.

Settling Colorado, getting it organized as a state was interrupted by the war, as I was taught the state was not in any significant way involved. There was some of that outlaw renegade action chronicled later.

But my family was mostly in Missouri then. Most of them survived. They didn't go to much trouble to save those memories.

The folks in Utah had been being thumped upon by most everyone and had been outcasts, their to be taught in grade school state history is kind of interesting. I was there the right age to see the mandated by the legislature part which went with fifth grade.

This was what drive in movies in the summer time were like: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x55hxen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

"It was about states rights."

It was in the books.

It was in thee school books.

X, wasn't that the common knowledge in your neck of the woods?

Or maybe you're not old enough.

:)

And?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's a game they like to play. Personally, I stopped being a participant in those kinds of confessionals decades ago. Waste of time.

Quote:
At the same time, we cannot allow political enemies of Virginia’s governor to call for his resignation over a photo when they continue themselves to vote for the policies of white supremacy. If anyone wants to call for the governor’s resignation, they should also call for the resignation of anyone who has supported racist voter suppression or policies that have a disparate impact on communities of color.

While we must name and resist white supremacy, we can also recall that we are never alone in this work. During the 19th century, there were anti-racist abolitionists — black and white — who worked to subvert and transform a system that considered some people chattel. In the new dawn of Reconstruction, black and white men worked together in statehouses across the South to reimagine democracy. During the 20th century’s movements for labor unions, women’s suffrage, and civil, human and environmental rights, fusion coalitions of black, white, brown, Native and Asian worked together to pursue a more perfect union that both acknowledges our original sin and holds on to the hope that we might yet live up to the better angels of our nature. Whenever we ask what repentance means, we don’t have to start from scratch. We have a long tradition to draw on, full of examples of what true repentance must look like........

I'm sorry to be this cynical, MC, and you know I love Rev. Barber. But I just don't find any reason after almost 200 years of this emotional attachment of theirs to minstrelsy and anti-Black caricature, to trust their race-confessionals. I don't think sin and other theological metaphors are going to work with this sort of thing.

Can't be trusted.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

There's not just one Yearbook photo here.

Well, dunno about anybody else but I'm really getting a kick out of this week's episode in American race-insanity, where all these people are now scrambling to check old yearbooks and party pictures for blackface dressup.

Let me spare them the effort, especially those who went to these all-white or mostly-white segregation and desegregation-era (1960s-1990s) hellhole schools: They'll quite likely find it. Likewise, what is the point of checking those history books for the social propaganda they've been taught their entire lives? And not just against Black people, either: about their own selves. Of course they will find it. A third of them still believe it, and vote accordingly.

This absurd folly is exactly what transpires when a country founded on race-based eliminationism continues in militant dishonesty with itself about its legacy of racial violence and vilification, particularly of Native Americans and African Americans.

By this time next week, they'll have promptly forgotten about this news cycle, anyway, and it will be on to the next episode in American race-insanity. :problem:

Last edited by carmenjonze on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

Good job, conservative whites and other blue lives matter dupes.

Virginia Police Sergeant Suspended After Antifa Group Identifies White Nationalist Ties - NYT

Quote:
A police sergeant in Virginia who was assigned to monitor the protests related to Gov. Ralph Northam was suspended Wednesday after being identified by an anti-fascist group as having an “affinity with white nationalist groups.”

The sergeant, Robert A. Stamm, 36, “has been placed on paid administrative leave pending the results of a review,” the Virginia Division of Capitol Police said in a statement. Sergeant Stamm joined the division in 2014 and was promoted to his current rank last year, officials said.

“There is a review policy in place, and we will follow that policy,” Col. Anthony S. Pike, the division’s chief, said in the statement.

Reached by telephone on Wednesday night, Sergeant Stamm declined to comment.

:problem:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

A guy on twitter asked, "Can we unplug Virginia for 15 minutes and reboot it?"

Sadly, that would be a no.

-----

A UCLA frat, phee gamma something, used to call itself Fiji and do a lot of dressing up as Pacific islanders. Other ones had secret parties where they dressed up as African Americans and acted stupid.

How long ago did that SAE chapter sing about n-----rs? A year? Two years?

Frats ooze privilege. They're better than us (in their own minds), and certainly better (in their own warped thinking) than oppressed ethnic groups. They see their status as a license to act like 19th century aristocratic bigots. That was the way in 1985, that was the way in 1895, and that's the way now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

My brother lives in Richmond. Warn me when the reboot occurs, he may need to protect himself from derezzing, like in TRON.

BTW, he told me about the stink people made when their Civil War museum was going to feature a statue of Lincoln and his son. No, this was not 1866, this was about 5 years ago. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Maybe he's a user. Can't de-rez users.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

No not Dr Ford because her accusations can not be proved nor disproved. There were other accusors who have been forced to admit their accusations were 100pct false. People who do that need to be charged with a crime.

White conservatism is treason to this country. When hasn't it been? Confederate culture is a national security risk.

Take down the Confederate statues now - James Comey in WP

Quote:
White people designed blackface to keep black people down, to intimidate, mock and stereotype. It began during the 19th century and wasn’t about white people honoring the talent of black people by dressing up to look like them. It was about mocking them and depicting them as lazy, stupid and less than fully human. It was a tool of oppression. As a college kid in Virginia during the 1980s, I knew that and so did my classmates. But a whole lot of white people seem to not know that history or understand why blackface is so offensive, whether it’s practiced by a college student or a new doctor. The turmoil in Virginia — where I have lived most of my adult life, including nine years in Richmond — may do some good if it reminds white people that a river of oppression runs through U.S. history, deep and wide, down to today.

But the reporters hurrying to the state capital to cover this important story about a poorly understood tool of white oppression are literally rushing past much larger and more powerful symbols of that oppression — symbols born of a similar desire to keep black people down. There is no doubt that Virginia’s leaders need to be held accountable for their personal history, but every Virginia leader is responsible for the racist symbols that still loom over our lives.

The Confederate statues of Richmond’s Monument Avenue weren’t erected to honor the service of brave warriors. Those soldiers had been dead for decades before the statues went up. No, the statues were put up by white people, beginning in the 1890s, to remind black people that, despite all that nonsense of Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant, as well as the so-called Reconstruction, we are back, and you are back down. The towering likenesses of Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis and Stonewall Jackson weren’t put up to celebrate history or heritage; they were put up as a message: The 13th, 14th and 15th amendments to the Constitution aren’t going to help you black folks because the South has risen from that humiliation. Jim Crow — a name rooted in blackface mockery — is king.

If you doubt that well-documented history — if you are tempted to buy the “heritage, not hate” rhetoric — ask yourself this question: “Where are the statues of James Longstreet?” Remember: Longstreet was Lee’s most trusted general, his second-in-command, his “Old War Horse.” Longstreet was a brave and talented warrior for the Confederacy from beginning to end. But there aren’t any Longstreet statues in Richmond — and there weren’t any at all until 1998, at Gettysburg. That’s because his service to the United States continued after the Civil War, and he did something inconsistent with the purpose of the statues, and of blackface: He treated African Americans as citizens of the United States. Longstreet agreed to serve his reunified country, joined Lincoln’s Republican Party and helped Grant protect the rights of newly freed black Americans.

Virginia is the state that gave us not just Racial Integrity eugenics laws, Massive Resistance, and some of the country's most infamous one-drop laws affecting both African Americans and Native Americans, this state also gave us Charlottesville.

It's why we also reject you guys' emotion-driven monuments to whites-rule in the form of that stupid border wall you want everyone else to shell out billions of dollars for. NO, no wall for confederates; no wall, ever.

Why are conservative whites so lazy and demanding of everyone else to pay for these emotional props to your group-based self-loathing?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Wonder what glen and joe would do if Obama or Hillary as prez worked with MSNBC to blackmail Sean Hannity or something

fuck, civil war overnight

folks understand the reason this is all happening is rump and pecker are in on the murder of Khashoggi, right?

I guess I am not talking about the thread subject, sorry.

There are so many felonies being committed by so many republicans that i cant keep track.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Things just turned worse for Fairfax.

He is now being accused of rape (not just assault) by a woman in 2000.

Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax Accused Of Sexual Assault By Second Woman
Meredith Watson said she was raped by Fairfax while the two were in college.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ju ... c79b23584f

Should be noted; he is also claiming his innocence here, due process (but what does that mean here?), and sorry, "youthful indiscretion" doesn't save people from guilt for rape.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Things just turned worse for Fairfax.

He is now being accused of rape (not just assault) by a woman in 2000.

Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax Accused Of Sexual Assault By Second Woman
Meredith Watson said she was raped by Fairfax while the two were in college.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ju ... c79b23584f

Should be noted; he is also claiming his innocence here, due process (but what does that mean here?), and sorry, "youthful indiscretion" doesn't save people from guilt for rape.

Yeah he’s a goner. Going around POC academia rn: the gofundme link in support of Prof Tyson.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah he’s a goner. Going around POC academia rn: the gofundme link in support of Prof Tyson.

Too bad he isnt a republican, none of this would matter AT ALL, they promote rapists

not that I am alleging his accusers are telling the truth

but both trump and kavanaugh are proven rapists, both promoted

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

Too bad he isnt a republican, none of this would matter AT ALL, they promote rapists

and Bill Clinton

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

and Bill Clinton

White conservatism is based on rape of their own women, rape of everyone else's women, and mass murder.

It's why this blackface bit is even still a story: it's still based on those things.

We can tell, by your defensiveness of blackface, your turncoatedness on that stupid little MAGAhat fascist, and defense of Brett Kavanaugh.

Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. White conservatism has always been a miserable lot of snigglers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think the thing to remember is these rapey conservative white males seeking vengence against those of us who question their rapey heroes like Kavanaugh and Trump do not care one whit about Meredith Watson or Dr. Vanessa Tyson. Any more than they care about Dr. Ford or Stormy Daniels or any of these accused rapists other (alleged) victims. They hate and resent them every bit as much.

We are all Stormy Daniels, to them. Including their wives, their daughters, their mistresses, their grandmothers...we're all just whores and golddiggers to these self-loathing conservative white males. Including the women they came out of. That all of them without exception emerged from a woman is probably the basic foundation of their self-hate and compounded miseries.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:07 am 
Policy Wonk

she passed in 2016 they made a movie about her recently
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Henson and Sam Rockwell go head to head in the film, which tells a story of desegregating North Carolina schools in the early 1970s.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:43 am 
Board Emeritus

Fairfax's 2nd accuser says she was also raped by a member of the Duke U. football team as well, and the admin covered it up.

What she claims Fairfax said to her after his rape of her when they saw each other again is pretty chilling. I guess maybe the word "allegedly" needs to be there.

Lieutenant governor's accuser also says she was raped by a Duke basketball player
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 820573002/

She left a campus party when he arrived, and he followed her out. She turned and asked, 'Why did you do it?' Mr. Fairfax answered: “I knew that because of what happened to you last year, you’d be too afraid to say anything.”

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Fairfax's 2nd accuser says she was also raped by a member of the Duke U. football team as well, and the admin covered it up.

What she claims Fairfax said to her after his rape of her when they saw each other again is pretty chilling. I guess maybe the word "allegedly" needs to be there.

Lieutenant governor's accuser also says she was raped by a Duke basketball player
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 820573002/

She left a campus party when he arrived, and he followed her out. She turned and asked, 'Why did you do it?' Mr. Fairfax answered: “I knew that because of what happened to you last year, you’d be too afraid to say anything.”

[snip][end]

Bye, Justin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next