RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

BTW, the VA gubernatorial succession is

Gov - Lt Gov - AG - Speaker of the Virginia House

Yes, the 4th in line, currently is a Republican. If you're plotting this out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Florida Republican caught in blackface refuses to resign — and says he was just impersonating his friend

On Wednesday, another member of Virginia’s top democratic leadership was revealed to have worn black face when he was younger. That—combined with accusations of sexual assault against Lt. Governor Justin Fairfax—left open the possibility that a Republican could be left in power.

As pundits wondered how three top Democrats could be so profoundly compromised, a Florida Republican who dressed up in black face in high school refused to step down. On Tuesday, Florida Democratic Chair Terry Rizzo called on Sabatini to resign, reports the Orlando Sentinel.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/florid ... ifications

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't think anyone's going to resign now that the Attorney General has said "I want some of this, mee tooo."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

So it sounds like the process goes all the way back to the Reconstruction. That would be consistent with what I've read. In the case of BOAN, it came from a best selling book. So did Gone With the Wind. Isn't that one still the top gross if you correct for inflation in movie tickets which sold for 50 cents (maybe a buck for the GWTW roadshow prints) and now cost $17.50?

So the stuff was out there before the movies glamorized the Confederate side.

I do vaguely remember my parents telling me that you really had to be a WASP to get certain offices and jobs. The P seems to be falling off, and the AS is getting broader to include most of western Europe, but the W is stronger than ever.

--------

My guess is that if the VA Republicans were subjected to similar scrutiny, they'd turn out to have the same stuff or worse. They'd probably start calling it a witch hunt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

I mention this only to note that occasionally we need to be careful at where irony springs.

Currently, Vanessa Tyson has retained the same law firm that represented Dr. Blasey-Ford, and Fairfax is using the same law firm that defended Brett Kavanaugh.

I considered not mentioning these facts, but their existence won't go away if I don't. :|

BTW, unlike others, this does not force me into making any further decisions about whether the situation is exactly the same. Nor about culpability. Yet.

Cue: accusers must be heard, accused get due process. As always, we have to figure out what the latter means, in this context.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

No living republican is remotely as good let alone better than any living democrat. well, gabbard is no good and a few others but you all get my point

If we allow the cons to take over in that state over this, we have not figured out what is going on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:55 pm 
Policy Wonk

So, shall we crack the sociology textbook, again?

Both those articles make a point I've made myself, sometimes. People tend to focus on what we might call interpersonal racism, between individuals, or by individuals, because it is visible, obvious, can often be seen in photographic or video evidence.

But the outrage train on this or that individual doesn't touch institutional racism - which is often codified in law, but even when it isn't, is embedded in institutions, like the health care system, or the criminal justice system, or of course our political system. There's no law that says Black people will get worse health care outcomes than white people - thank the stars - but now the sad news is this is nonetheless true, and an outcome of racism lodged in our institutions.

Of course that's the problem. There is no Yearbook photo of the entire health care system dressed in blackface. There is no Youtube video of the criminal justice system wearing a Klan robe. There is no photo of the entire Virginia state government mistreating a person of color. Humans are very good at summoning their outrage against a visibly directed target. (And I'm not saying Northam doesn't have to go. But things are getting curious. Fairfax's accuser has now come forward, and she's an academic.) If only we could keep them focused on fixing their institutions. Some of it can be done through the law, some of it does require changing attitudes (insofar as they lead to behaviors), some of it requires institutional reform within institutions.

there is if we look, it takes a lot of work and support to keep those things going we dont have to keep doing it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:33 am 
Policy Wonk

It's just so suspicious that three prominent Democrats in the same government (VA) are accused simultaneously. Sure it may all be true, at least as far as the governor, but damn...has everyone in the country committed assault?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:14 am 
Board Emeritus

It's just so suspicious that three prominent Democrats in the same government (VA) are accused simultaneously. Sure it may all be true, at least as far as the governor, but damn...has everyone in the country committed assault?

Maybe everyone in Virginia has.

Ever been to Virginia??? Thinking that, it reminds me of virginal, and that reminds me of wool, and that reminds me of sheep, and that reminds me of Utah. Utah reminds me of Utah Philips.

"You ever been to Utah?" Utah Phillips asks, then asks "WHY???"

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

"Out where the men are men and the sheep are all nervous."

Then he explains "the only place you can get virgin wool is from the sheep that can outrun the Mormons and Republicans."

Then he gets to the important part, "it takes three frogs to stay alive and two of them got to be doctors."

I think that about explains it for Utah, it might apply to Virginia. Some folks might describe it as the effect of powerful peer pressure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:20 am 
Policy Wonk

Maybe everyone in Virginia has.

Ever been to Virginia??? Thinking that, it reminds me of virginal, and that reminds me of wool, and that reminds me of sheep, and that reminds me of Utah. Utah reminds me of Utah Philips.

"You ever been to Utah?" Utah Phillips asks, then asks "WHY???"

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

"Out where the men are men and the sheep are all nervous."

Then he explains "the only place you can get virgin wool is from the sheep that can outrun the Mormons and Republicans."

Then he gets to the important part, "it takes three frogs to stay alive and two of them got to be doctors."

I think that about explains it for Utah, it might apply to Virginia. Some folks might describe it as the effect of powerful peer pressure.

Been to both, but Utah as a kid because my father insisted he wanted to hear the Mormon tabernacle choir. lol

I was stationed at NOB Norfolk for a few weeks, and never got used to the watered down beer. :) Or that the only music anyone played was country music.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:28 am 
Board Emeritus

So it sounds like the process goes all the way back to the Reconstruction. That would be consistent with what I've read. In the case of BOAN, it came from a best selling book. So did Gone With the Wind. Isn't that one still the top gross if you correct for inflation in movie tickets which sold for 50 cents (maybe a buck for the GWTW roadshow prints) and now cost $17.50?

Yes, very much ProfX may have said this already, and as someone in the biz, you already know this but I might as well point out that blackface minstrelsy was THE most popular form of entertainment anywhere in the country starting in the mid-1800s. So that's ante-bellum and post-bellum.

And of course, the KKK was formed in opposition to Reconstruction. Talk to a white conservative long enough and they too will start bellyaching about how the govt treated the south (losers). :roll:

I'm getting ready to lecture on this in a couple weeks in a friend of mine's class, where I guest lecture on occasion. Minstrelsy was so socked-in that the first major Jubilee/Spirituals choir upon which all HBCU choruses are based, the Fisk University Singers, had to bill themselves as authentic Negro Minstrels in order to get booked on fundraising tours. That was starting in 1870.

And then you get the super f'ed up tradition of African Americans who also blacked up because the medium was so popular. Bert Williams is probably the most famous, but other famous names also did it, like a really young Sammy Davis, Jr., and Josephine Baker. I'm not posting pics of them - ppl can search them out on their own. This gets us into the Vaudeville, silent film, and early talkies era.

- more -

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:52 am 
Board Emeritus

I think that one thing that people really miss in news cycles like this one, where we've got Liam Neeson and his stupid race-confessionals about his homicidal, BOAN revenge/vengance feelings towards ANY Black person, these yearbook pics of this Virginia med school (which also brings up REALLY bad memories of blackface trash in my own senior year yearbook, which I promptly threw away my first week at college...) bring up seriously unhealed cultural wounds, because it wasn't just mere caricature or other ossified ethnic stereotype. As ZoWie brings up, there was a visceral propaganda and ideological effect that served as justification for these laws and public policies. It's as if when it comes to African Americans, Native Americans, and Latinos, these stereotypes suddenly become basis for literal belief. And those beliefs endure.

This news cycle is right on the heels of that little MAGAhat shit with the smackable face and Nathan Phillips. Enter these other little shits claiming to be paying tribute to Native American culture with their venal race-cosplay, and then freaking out with rage when they're told, no, this is not a tribute, take that crap off, already. And as AP just posted viewtopic.php?p=440782#p440782 this latest Republican tire fire Anthony Sabatini (obvious self-loathing white ethnic) claims to have been impersonating a friend.

I think it's worth it to keep bringing up that there are plenty of whites who do not consider blackface racist or part of their own indoctrination and propagandization. Like glen, who thinks Birth of A Nation should be taught in "Black Studies" (whatever the heck he thinks that is), they'll excuse it and try to explain it away.

This is why this mind-numbingly pernicious behavior persists among them.

Anybody in doubt can look at any comments sections of these news stories, and also consider that this comes up every single year at unnamed college campuses. They go as either Indians, people of African descent ("rap" or some form of "savage"), or some Latino stereotype. Never fails, year in and year out.

/soapbox

Oh and Liam Neeson can go jump in the damn lake. F' that guy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:51 am 
Board Emeritus

Rep. Bobby Scott learned of sexual assault allegation against Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax a year ago from the accuser: Aides

Virginia Democratic Congressman Bobby Scott was made aware of allegations of sexual assault against now-Lieutenant Governor Justin Fairfax over a year ago by the alleged victim herself, ABC News has learned.

Scott learned of the allegations directly from Dr. Vanessa Tyson, who on Wednesday released a statement detailing the alleged 2004 assault, which took place at the Democratic National Convention in Boston.

https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-conta ... d=60898781

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:54 am 
Board Emeritus

I do vaguely remember my parents telling me that you really had to be a WASP to get certain offices and jobs. The P seems to be falling off, and the AS is getting broader to include most of western Europe, but the W is stronger than ever.

--------

My guess is that if the VA Republicans were subjected to similar scrutiny, they'd turn out to have the same stuff or worse. They'd probably start calling it a witch hunt.

We have a whataboutery thread.

As for the blackface issue. Looks like I was correct as usual. Dumbass things people do when young or in college in most cases deserve a pass.

Why? Because we all did dumbass things at that age.

On to the Lt Governor and his harrassment charges. All those type of charges need to be investigated. If they are legit he needs to go. If they are false like the charges against Justice Kavanaugh those making the false accusstions should be charged with a crime.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:41 am 
Board Emeritus

We have a whataboutery thread.

As for the blackface issue. Looks like I was correct as usual. Dumbass things people do when young or in college in most cases deserve a pass.

On to the Lt Governor and his harrassment charges. All those type of charges need to be investigated. If they are legit he needs to go. If they are false like the charges against Justice Kavanaugh those making the false accusstions should be charged with a crime.

Fuck off. There's a ton more direct evidence that Kavanaugh raped Christine Ford than Northam is either of the guys in this photo. Does that matter to you? Fuck no.

And the Lt. Governor's harrassment charges...anybody else we know being harrassed? How's about the threats directed at the entire US House Democratic caucus by the deranged animal right in middle of the goddamn SOTU?

Democrats all over the country are demanding Northam's resignation. Democrats demanded Franken's resignation the day after the staged photo of Franken hovering over LeeAnn Tweeden's income generators showed up.

What are Republicans and cheesdick Trumpers like you demanding of your assholes? Not a fucking thing. You motherfuckers run your pedophiles for an Alabama Senate seat (and 48% of you motherfuckers voted for your pedophile)...and you do everything you can to defend your leader of the criminal enterprise in the White House.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:39 am 
Board Emeritus

No, they don't, because no, "we" didn't.

Blackface is only a mere dumbass thing to conservative whites seeking to exonerate your own continued legacy of a violent, vindictication-driven racist culture.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:43 am 
Board Emeritus

What are Republicans and cheesdick Trumpers like you demanding of your assholes? Not a fucking thing. You motherfuckers run your pedophiles for an Alabama Senate seat (and 48% of you motherfuckers voted for your pedophile)...and you do everything you can to defend your leader of the criminal enterprise in the White House.

++++++++++

And the very last thing these people want is an end to the hate-based policies they've been enacting on the populace for centuries.

It's why they make excuses for 25 year olds re-enacting racist caricatures out of the 1830s.

And the next spate of inevitable articles coming out about some feckless white conservative adult doing the exact same thing come this October or whenever, they'll be crowing the same 200 years old excuses for that, too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:48 am 
Board Emeritus

On to the Lt Governor and his harrassment charges.

Put that hemp rope away.

Oh wait, accuser is Black. So, nevermind.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:52 am 
Board Emeritus

IF that photo is of Northam ... he was already in medical school, a graduate/professional program, and 25 years old. Enough of the "dumbass in college" crap.

At 25, time to be held responsible for your actions.

Like I said, we're going to get to the point where people like Henry Hyde can call stuff they did at age 40 "a youthful indiscretion". :roll:

BTW, what Prof. Tyson is alleging is sexual assault, not harassment. (Doesn't meet technical definition of rape.)

Also, BTW, allow me to note that unless I'm misunderstanding glen, he just called for Dr. Blasey-Ford to be arrested.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:20 am 
Board Emeritus

IF that photo is of Northam ... he was already in medical school, a graduate/professional program, and 25 years old. Enough of the "dumbass in college" crap.

At 25, time to be held responsible for your actions.

Like I said, we're going to get to the point where people like Henry Hyde can call stuff they did at age 40 "a youthful indiscretion". :roll:

BTW, what Prof. Tyson is alleging is sexual assault, not harassment. (Doesn't meet technical definition of rape.)

Also, BTW, allow me to note that unless I'm misunderstanding glen, he just called for Dr. Blasey-Ford to be arrested.

Like that stupid little MAGAhat fascist bused in with that horde to protest abortion now suing everyone in sight for "defamation" ( :problem: ), conservative white males are supposed to get away with murder, rape, and whatever amoral behavior they enact on everyone else in their path. Telling them the word "no" gets your entire neighborhood night-ridden. It hurts their feelings to be criticized.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Put that hemp rope away.

Oh wait, accuser is Black. So, nevermind.

cons would laugh at any and all of these allegations and would NEVER resign over them

If we were not faced with the FACT that ALL republicans are now traitors, by definition (other than the handful of good ones like Mueller) we might have the luxury of following rules the cons NEVER follow, but we dont have that luxury now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

cons would laugh at any and all of these allegations and would NEVER resign over them

If we were not faced with the FACT that ALL republicans are now traitors, by definition (other than the handful of good ones like Mueller) we might have the luxury of following rules the cons NEVER follow, but we dont have that luxury now.

And why would they ever?

The one around here is dutifully, mindlessly making excuses for the behavior just like his Birth of A Nation culture says to. :problem:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

Here in Florida, our former SoS Mike "blackface" Ertel did resign.

However, Sabatini - another Republican state Rep. - says he will not. Over a similar scandal, because his wearing blackface "was just a prank"
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/po ... story.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Top Republican Virginia Sen. Norment caught up in blackface scandal

Another Virginia politician — state Sen. Tommy Norment, the Republican majority leader — was swept up in the growing blackface scandal Thursday after it was revealed that he was one of the editors of a 1968 Virginia Military Institute yearbook that featured racist language and students in blackface.

Norment, who does not appear in any of the yearbook photos of students wearing blackface, initially refused to comment when approached by NBC News on Thursday. He later said in a statement through his spokesperson, "The use of blackface is abhorrent in our society and I emphatically condemn it. As one of seven working on a 359-page yearbook, I cannot endorse or associate myself with every photo, entry or word on each page. However, I am not in any of the photos referenced on pages 82 or 122, nor did I take any of the photos in question."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... al-n969021

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:38 am 
Board Emeritus

With the Governor, the Lt. Governor, the AG, and now the GOP majority leader facing racism and/or sexual harassment/abuse claims if they resign then they'll have to start diving down the succession chain for the next governor. I suggest the Governor gather all the statewide elected officers, his cabinet members, the General Assembly, and the Virginia House of Delegates in one place and ask "Everyone raise their hand if you haven't worn Black Face or committed/accused of sexually harassed/abuse." The remaining person will then be the Governor.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next