RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:05 am 
Board Emeritus

Dearborn, Michigan magazine editor fired for article about Henry Ford’s anti-Semitism
https://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/jta ... 2146d.html

The editor of a quarterly journal published by the historical commission of Dearborn, Michigan was fired after he published an article about Henry Ford’s history of anti-Semitism in the publication’s 100th anniversary issue.

Dearborn Mayor John B. O’Reilly terminated the contract of The Dearborn Historian magazine editor Bill McGraw, and prevented the January issue of the magazine, paid for by the city, from being mailed out.

The cover includes a black and white photo of Ford next to the quote: “The Jew is a race that has no civilization to point to, no aspiring religion, no great achievement in any realm.”

“I think given what’s going on in the world today with the rise of anti-Semitism, what happened to Pittsburgh in October and with the 100-year anniversary of the paper last week, it’s important to know that’s still playing a huge role online with extremists. It seems if Dearborn is going to be proud of Henry Ford, we should look at the whole picture,” McGraw told The Detroit News.

The Dearborn Historical Museum Commission is calling on O’Reilly to rescind his firing of McGraw, who has lived in Dearborn for 30 years and is a former reporter and editor for the Detroit Free Press.

O’Reilly in a statement released on Friday afternoon noted that Dearborn’s population is about one-third Arab-American and said publishing Ford’s offensive opinions “could become a distraction from our continuing messages of inclusion and respect.”

[snip][end]

Uhhhh errrr what .... inclusion and respect? That is a damn funny way to show it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Let me get this straight.

A declining company town,
Has a mayor with an Irish surname,
Who fired and suppressed an editor with a Scottish surname,
For retelling a well known historical truth about anti-Semitism,
By the company's Irish descendent Hitler-loving founder,
Not because the company is still a major employer,
But because it might trigger the town's large Islamic population.

?????????????????????

Did I leave anything out?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Who does not know that Ford was an Antisemite?

Who does not know that Ford was asshole buddies with Hitler and Goering?

Ford supported Nazi's and the German/American Bund.

The Mayor is a five-star idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:26 pm 
Policy Wonk

well its the image thats important not the people, must preserve the image whatever the cost to people doesnt matter, they are the least important part of it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:25 pm 
Policy Wonk

heres a link to the article

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/21513/100_years_later_dearborn_confronts_the_hate_of_hometown_hero_henry_ford

How Henry Ford's anti-Semitism stings in 2019

Quote:
........O'Reilly's decision to cancel mail distribution of the Dearborn Historian means 230 dues-paying members of the Dearborn Historical Society may never see it in print. But if Dearborn's mayor imagined he was effectively limiting the story's exposure (His spokeswoman says he never imagined that), someone should tell him about the new-fangled distribution platform cutting-edge technophiles call the inter-webs.

As it turns out, the Deadline Detroit website had arranged to publish an online version of McGraw's story, "Henry Ford and 'The International Jew,' " even before O'Reilly moved to stifle the print version. In a textbook demonstration of viral marketing, the attempt to censor the latter dramatically increased readership interest in the former, which has now attracted the attention of national media including cable news network MSNBC.

Thus the current, still unmailed edition of the Dearborn Historian will almost certainly become its most-read ever.

Clearly, neither the City of Dearborn nor today's Ford Motor Company wants anything to do with Henry Ford's cockamamie conviction that Jews were the scourge of civilization.

The latter has been fighting to dissociate itself from its founder’s anti-Semitic views, and to make amends by supporting Jewish causes, including the state of Israel, since before Ford's death in 1947. McGraw documents the company's sustained campaign to redeem its reputation at length, by the way, in his piece for the Dearborn Historian.

And Dearborn's refusal to disseminate McGraw's account, however inept, was obviously inspired by O'Reilly's desire to promote his community's identity as a modern-day poster child for inclusion and religious tolerance.......

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't think you promote tolerance by hiding or ignoring the past. You acknowledge it ... and then, yes, try and build a better future.

I think several of us here on this board have made that point.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:34 pm 
Policy Wonk

Is it only common knowledge to people above a certain age?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

If the righties get their way, the idea of a round earth will only be common knowledge to people above a certain age.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:31 am 
Policy Wonk

Dearborn mayor responds to article on Henry Ford's anti-Semitism

Quote:
........"In a world where negativity is so prevalent, I thought they could lead people to link the city of Dearborn of today with hateful messages repeated from 100 years ago," he wrote.

"I wanted to distance the city from possible criticism for being seen as a source of despicable viewpoints. I felt in a city publication, these viewpoints could interfere with people's understanding of our commitment to inclusion and respect. I felt they could potentially undermine our efforts, and those of our community and business partners, to promote Dearborn as a welcoming place." ..........

Society of Professional Journalists wrote

Quote:
.......“Any effort to suppress the dissemination of factual information is an act of censorship and goes against our country’s long tradition of freedom of the press,” said SPJ Detroit Chapter President Beth Konrad on the organization's Facebook page...............

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:37 am 
Board Emeritus

Nothing positive is gained by eliminating the past.

This is why I say, BTW, that while publicly funded statues and monuments honoring the Confederacy should be taken down - that all that information, and maybe those statues, belong in a museum, so people can learn about it, they need to.

The kernel used to argue we were trying to erase history. Just the opposite. I want people to learn it, just not to honor it. There is a difference.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Censorship accomplishes nothing and only fuels misunderstanding. The Mayor was wrong, end of story.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Making excuses for his bonehead move will only make it worse for him. Mister Mayor, with all due respect for your office, that was the stupidest thing I've seen in months.

I'd have more regard for the Confederate statues if they WERE real history, not folk history propagated 40 years later by local women's Klan auxiliaries as their own little contributions to Keeping Those People In Their Place.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Making excuses for his bonehead move will only make it worse for him. Mister Mayor, with all due respect for your office, that was the stupidest thing I've seen in months.

I'd have more regard for the Confederate statues if they WERE real history, not folk history propagated 40 years later by local women's Klan auxiliaries as their own little contributions to Keeping Those People In Their Place.

Would that the lost cause stayed lost.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Jim Crow is history too. But I don't think keeping around the actual explosive social dynamite they used to institute Crow in peoples minds is wise.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:47 pm 
Policy Wonk

it says a lot about the way Michigan local and state goverments aggressive hypervigilance to control what image people see to dictate residents and customers opinions to them in regards to businesses, governence, and social conditions that this image may interfere with their better informed judgement. of course I doubt it would even come to the negative outcome they were fearing but still they insert their fears in between people and their own understanding.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com