All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:20 am 
Board Emeritus

Cause and effect.

Trump supporter attacks BBC cameraman at El Paso rally
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47208909

Sporting a Make America Great Again cap, the man shoved and swore at the BBC's Ron Skeans and other news crews before being pulled away.
Mr Skeans said the "very hard shove" came from his blindside. "I didn't know what was going on."

Mr Skeans said the man almost knocked him and his camera over twice before he was wrestled away by a blogger.

[snip]

BBC Washington producer Eleanor Montague and Washington correspondent Gary O'Donoghue were sitting in front of the camera.
Ms Montague said the protester had attacked other news crews but Mr Skeans "got the brunt of it".

[snip]

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Mr O'Donoghue said it was "an incredibly violent attack".
"This is a constant feature of these rallies - a goading of the crowds against the media," Mr O'Donoghue said, who added that he had been "spat at before".

Last August UN experts warned Mr Trump's attacks "increase the risk of journalists being targeted with violence", calling his rhetoric "strategic".

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:17 am 
Board Emeritus

Now, now, Professor. Civility....

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:19 am 
Policy Wonk

he say usa usa usa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:27 am 
Board Emeritus

All anybody has to read is the headline on NBCNEWS.com this morning, that all night long...

Trump pretended that Congress hadn't just demolished his wall

BUT YOU'RE NOT RACIST....EXCEPT WHEN YOU ARE.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:31 am 
Board Emeritus

Well...we are constantly being educated, right here on RFL, how they're all really nice people. Neighborly common folk who will risk their own lives to pull your dog out of a frozen pond, and such. We must be missing something.

I think Jeff Dahmer once pulled somebody's dog out of a frozen pond up in Milwaukee.

Yeh...sure...civility.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:41 am 
Board Emeritus

Well...we are constantly being educated, right here on RFL, how they're all really nice people. Neighborly common folk who will risk their own lives to pull your dog out of a frozen pond, and such. We must be missing something.

I think Jeff Dahmer once pulled a dog out of a frozen pond up in Milwaukee.

Yeh...sure...civility.

Yeah. I'll be civil when the Republican Party apologizes for Mitch McConnell, for that frigging asshat elected after attacking a journalist in Montana, for their entire behavior during Obama's administrations and for constantly attacking Hillary Clinton not to mention impeaching Bill Clinton over nothing not to mention Ken Starr and so on and so on ad infinitum ad nauseum.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:47 am 
Board Emeritus

Clearly, we need to be more worried about people being mean and nasty to each other on the internet, since, like forever, rather than a leader of our country who deliberately incites violence against journalists.

Did that need the sarcasm icon/thingie?

Cyber bullying is a thing, people have committed suicide over it, but I just wish the First Lady's spouse wasn't the first and most prominent offender at being worst.

You should watch Beto O'Rourke's counter rally. 15,000 people attended. I don't know what the young man will run for next (personally I think it should be something other than POTUS), but at least somebody showed how to actually speak to the better angels of our nature.

BTW, at Trump's nonsense-o-thon, he said liberals want to take newly born babies right after they come out of the womb and "talk to their parents" ... and commit infanticide on them. :roll: The Mayor of El Paso pretty much debunked everything else he said about the wall and crime in his town before he arrived.

Last edited by ProfessorX on Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:49 am 
Board Emeritus

Clearly, we need to be more worried about people being mean and nasty to each other on the internet, since, like forever, rather than a leader of our country who deliberately incites violence against journalists.

Did that need the sarcasm icon/thingie?

Um, yeah. I should have warned you not to step in the steaming puddle of sarcasm.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:56 am 
Board Emeritus

Why don't we worry about both, and in worrying make something of it instead of opposing them for an sarcasm icon/thingie. Use one to work on the other.

Work on mean and nasty by extending nice. That works on the leader, changing the leader as in moving him out. Nice gathers people up, people get things done.

Nice is like lube.

But I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Speaking of civility. Just last week at the SOTU Trump called for "Unity." But then he spends the night attacking Democrats.

Voting with hurt fees to pwn the libs:
Quote:
because of this board... it will be very hard for me to support a Democratic candidate.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

The problem is to many weak minded people are taking the hate filled rhetoric as a call to action. Prior to the internet talk radio and 24 hour for profit so called news channels those weak minded screwballs had no platform and no way to connect with like minded fools

Not so much in todays world.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

The problem is to many weak minded people are taking the hate filled rhetoric as a call to action. Prior to the internet talk radio and 24 hour for profit so called news channels those weak minded screwballs had no platform and no way to connect with like minded fools

Wrong. The problem is, plain and simple, too many assholes. There was just as high a percentage of assholes during the Vietnam years...probably higher. When Nixon's rating went through the roof with the silent majority. And there was no internet and no 24 hour news.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Why don't we worry about both,

Dunno. If you feel people are being mean and nasty to you on the Internet, you could always ignore them. People say lots of things to or about me I know are not true. Water off a duck's back, as they say.

Or retaliate, so they know what it feels like.

I follow the rules. I am not in charge of enforcing them, and have no interest in doing so. Moderating MB's is a thankless job.

Quote:
That works on the leader,

Lots of history seems to suggest otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

They did connect, but it took a lot longer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

The BBC story is #1 most read worldwide. Not what drumpf said at the rally. Not that he claimed 30,000 showed up in a building that holds 5600. Not that O'Rourke's counter-rally up the street drew 10000-15000. Not that the mayor of El Paso completely debunked the claim that crime went down after they built a wall. (The data shows that it went down before the wall was built.)

But that the magaheads attacked reporters. Again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:22 pm 
Policy Wonk

this happened in China to BBC reporter last year

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:29 am 
Board Emeritus

Somebody knows this asshole's name. Has the name been published anywhere?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:20 pm 
Policy Wonk

I'm not waiting for Trump to apologize for fanning the flames....but I do expect of any decent person is to change their ways and to be a positive influence....

Oh wait..."decent person"