RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Or so the leads all go. (Am I allowed to still spell it "lead?" I hate "lede." Maybe I'm getting old.)

Back in the real world, we see a rich people's alternative to just giving the desired university a ton of money. They'll never ban THAT one.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47543036

Quote:
The documents set out in detail the various elements of the alleged scheme, which was run by a firm called Edge College & Career Network. Parents including Ms Huffman and Ms Loughlin paid somewhere between several thousand dollars and $6.5m to Edge for its services, authorities said, earning Singer about $25m between roughly 2011 and 2018.

The firm reportedly instructed parents to claim their child had a disability which required extra time for exams. The FBI said parents were then told to invent an excuse - such as a family wedding - for their students to sit the entrance exams at specific facilities, where staff had been bribed to turn a blind eye to cheating.

Someone working for the firm involved in the scandal either sat the exam for the students, gave students the answers, or corrected their answer papers, the FBI said.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Or so the leads all go. (Am I allowed to still spell it "lead?" I hate "lede." Maybe I'm getting old.)

Back in the real world, we see an alternative to just giving the desired university a ton of money. They'll never ban THAT one.

You'd figure that with as much money these people have they'd be a bit smarter to know when they're actively participating in a scam or bribing someone one eventually someone's going to blow the whistle on it an start naming names.

Anyone want to be none of those who paid to have someone else take their darling children's tests or to get an unearned athletic scholarship will see any jail time?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Back in the real world, we see a rich people's alternative to just giving the desired university a ton of money. They'll never ban THAT one.

Heh my prof friends @ U$C are *super* cynical today.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:34 pm 

Prepare for the tweet storm from president 666, because the latest is the Obamas' tennis instructor was also indicted. Even though the article says there is no indication Malia is implicated, that part will be conveniently left out on faux news!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

heres the thing about this scam: when you are rich, even paltry actor rich, you get in those colleges. period.
when you have a known name and are that rich, you get in any univ college you want. period.

im not sure who theyre giving all this money to, or why they are, but..id say they didnt need to do it.
not in that money bracket.

these Univs colleges GAIN money Just from the notoriety of the names that attend.

this reeks of a trumpUniv scam course.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:00 am 
Board Emeritus

For every parent that bought their kid into Harvard or Stanford or whatever school they thought was best for them, means a deserving student was denied.

But moreover, it says that the parents did not think their kid could into a certain based on the merits of their SAT Scores or grades. Not measuring up means the kid failed in the eyes of their parents...how humiliating.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:33 am 
Policy Wonk

For every parent that bought their kid into Harvard or Stanford or whatever school they thought was best for them, means a deserving student was denied.

But moreover, it says that the parents did not think their kid could into a certain based on the merits of their SAT Scores or grades. Not measuring up means the kid failed in the eyes of their parents...how humiliating.
Well not exactly.... Adminission space limits are somewhat flexible. Harvard or Stanford (or any other school) could almost always accept one or two more students...its just there's a limit at some point.

I don't know whether you are a parent or not, so you might not understand. But a parent wanting what they feel is the best for their children is not the same as meaning 'the kid failed in the eyes of their parents....'

So yes, crime and one more example of how money and rescource can be used for corrupt purposes. Certainly unfair, as is much of the system. But its not the same as parents feeling that their kids are failures (without knowing any of these people, I'm not in a position to say)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Heh my prof friends @ U$C are *super* cynical today.

The thing is, how can you take U$C seriously at this point? The last president resigned in disgrace. The board of governors, or whatever they call it, is run by a shopping mall magnate. The former gynecologist is a sex pervert up on charges. They lose a coach or two pretty much yearly when the media expose them. The assistant AD job there is like a rotary firing squad. Next (bang) next (bang) next (bang)..... The AD has no clue about administration. The last 3 haven't. They hire former football players.

[Manafort just got indicted by the Manhattan DA.... developing]

When I was in their movie school as a grad student, we called the normal undergrads civilians. Compared to UCLA, there was a certain cluelessness. Far as quality goes, U$C actually built a perfectly decent university that the football team could be proud of (as one coach said), but then the last 10 years have not been happy ones.

Well... about time a scandal centered in SoCal again. NYC has been getting all the juicy ones in what the media like to mislabel as the drumpf era. This one seems big. People are pretty worked up. I think a nerve got hit, even though this kind of crap has gone on for decades.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

I used to think, decades ago, this country wasn't anywhere as corrupt as other countries but this scandal just proves we're as corrupt as any other country in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

But a parent wanting what they feel is the best for their children is not the same as meaning 'the kid failed in the eyes of their parents....'

That bit about "wanting what they feel is best for their children" is something of a canard. Often enough, parental perceptions of "what is best for their children" is wrapped up in their own status, prestige, and reputation as parents among their peers or others they're trying to impress.

Any dupes who are stupid enough to pay 6 figures just so their snotnose brats can enter the gates exemplifies what my grandmother would say about them: a fool and their money are soon parted. Classic new-money/class-climbing behavior.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:42 pm 
Policy Wonk

carmenjonze wrote:

That bit about "wanting what they feel is best for their children" is something of a canard. Often enough, parental perceptions of "what is best for their children" is wrapped up in their own status, prestige, and reputation as parents among their peers or others they're trying to impress.

Any dupes who are stupid enough to pay 6 figures just so their snotnose brats can enter the gates exemplifies what my grandmother would say about them: a fool and their money are soon parted. Classic new-money/class-climbing behavior.
"Canard" is probably a bit of an overstatement. But I don't disagree with what you say....but still, whether they are correct or not, whether they are making the decisions objectively or not, many (probably most) parents want what they believe is best for their children. But yes... Parents own status, prestige, reputation, etc is a factor that plays into that (as is the childrens 'status, prestige and reputation').

An example, to your point....I once ready a study that pointed out that parents tend to name children based on what/how they want them to be.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

"Canard" is probably a bit of an overstatement. But I don't disagree with what you say....but still, whether they are correct or not, whether they are making the decisions objectively or not, many (probably most) parents want what they believe is best for their children. But yes... Parents own status, prestige, reputation, etc is a factor that plays into that (as is the childrens 'status, prestige and reputation').
No successful parent wants to admit their child isn't very smart so they'll do whatever they need to do to make sure their child succeeds. Instead of trying to get their "average" kid into an elite college they should instead accept the reality that junior college may be the best their kid can handle.

[/quote]An example, to your point....I once ready a study that pointed out that parents tend to name children based on what/how they want them to be.[/quote]
I'd be interested in seeing that studying and finding out what direction my name should lead me towards. I have a twin sister and our names are similar sounding on the first syllable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:32 pm 
Policy Wonk

Number6 wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing that studying and finding out what direction my name should lead me towards. I have a twin sister and our names are similar sounding on the first syllable.
I dont remember where I saw it...may have heard about it on NPR....In any case, it wouldn't necessarily say anything about you, your name, your parents. It, I'm sure, relates to trends. And it may not have to do with money, though it might. It may have to do with many types of identity.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

An example, to your point....I once ready a study that pointed out that parents tend to name children based on what/how they want them to be.

Right, but playing the "you're not a parent so you don't understand" card doesn't help here, because "what's best for the children" is too often wrapped up in parents' own reputation among their peers. So we are back at square one.

Sending one's snotnose crotchdropping to public schools is a really good example. Doesn't matter how "good" the school's reputation is and doesn't even matter how white it is. The rationalizations come in the form of perverse fetishes like "class size" and of course test scores and stats on where the snotnoses end up. Check any stat for a major city; 95% of these crotchfruit already are shoved into exclusionary/exclusive private schools, anyway.

Because that's what's best for children. So we're told. :problem:

Well, we know how and why the snotnoses end up where they end up; at least a select certain of them.

None of this has got anything to do with "what's best for the children". Nobody who ever repeats this rhetorical flourish gives two craps about what is actually good for these young human beings; they're just more status symbols, and so are the schools attached to their names. Don't think these overprivileged brats don't know it, either. Anybody dumb enough to pour half a mil into just getting their insufferable snotnose crothfruit in the door I hope has the good sense to have a trust fund dedicated solely to these snotnoses' therapy bills once they hit about age 23.

Especially after they get through with taking some of my friends' courses. :twisted:

Last edited by carmenjonze on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

I only know of two common boys names which have the singular meaning of "happy." Asher and Felix.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Agreed. And you're also right about "wanting what's best." My experience as a clinician and as a former child is that more often than not...what's best doesn't have much to do with the offspring's opinion of what's best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:23 am 
Board Emeritus

he has transcripts.
he's on this one and showing how the kids Knew what was being done to further make it easy
for them, the spoiled pale offspring who are too dumb to fill out an application.
i think this may be worse than we think. it seems the kids were willing partners in cheating.
some of them at least.
im still waiting for the full list of families, parents, who did this. we got two...theres a few more here.

https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:02 am 
Board Emeritus

And in support of this "what is best for my child" canard...idiotic anti-science, anti-vaxxers don't give a shit what's best for their children.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:08 am 
Policy Wonk

I only know of two common boys names which have the singular meaning of "happy." Asher and Felix.
I didnt understand the report/study as being so direct as that (though there probably are people who do it). I think it was more in lines with people (again we're talking statistics/groups here not any particular individual) tending to name children to a larger group they'd like them to identify with. Maybe a name popular/common among a group they want their kids to grow up with association to...or a 'cool,/trendy' name common among the upper class, or educated, or ethnic group. Or a name similar to someone they know whom they look up to (for whatever reason).

BTW, (this is a different issue than why parents choose a name.) A quick look at google seems to show that there is no clear evidence one way or the other on the impact of a childs name on their future. There is research showing names do have an impact...and names aren't that significant. But one interesting study in Britain recently showed that 1/3rd of parents regretted the name they gave their child.

And while in the US, parents can name children whatever they way in some countries, names must be from particular lists or others that are banned.....some examples

Germany: no gender neutral names names that could lead to the childs humiliation
Matti
Osama
Adolph Hitler

Switzerland: all names must be approved by registrar, no "biblical villains," no 'boys name for girls' or viseversa
Judas ( I wonder whether jews are foribidden from calling thier child yehuda or yehudit?)
Chanel
Paris
Mercedes

Iceland: has national naming committee that names which aren't pre-approved must be submitted to within six months. Committee rejects about half the names submitted. Nothing with lettes C, Q or W as those arent in Icelandic language
Zoe
Harriet
Enrique

Denmark: 7000 pre approved names. Others go through Copenhagen University's Names Investigation Department and at the Ministry of Ecclesiastical Affairs
Jakobp
Ashleiy

Norway: No first names that are on a list of last or middle names only.
Hansen
Johansen
Olsen

Sweden: nothing 'obviously offensive'
Ikea
Elvis

Mexico: nothing 'lacking in meaning'
Hermoine

Portugal: only traditionally Portugese and gender specific. No nicknames. Official 82 page list
Rihanna
Jimmy

Saudi Arabia: none of my family would be allowed. Banned 'more than 50 names it deems "too foreign," inappropriate, blasphemous, or not in line with the country's social or religious traditions.'
Binyameen
Malika
Malak
Linda
Maya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:13 am 
Board Emeritus

So back to the topic for a moment...

These celebrities, whichever list they inhabit...they have the money for the best achievement testing courses for little Buffy and Brewster. They have the money for tutor specialists on every subject to get their kids competitive. They have the money to live in wealthy neighborhoods with the big RE tax rolls that have the top public schools. They have the money to send their kids to the best private schools if the top public schools just aren't good enough.

And they still need to do this shit?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:27 am 
Policy Wonk

I heard one description, which I think is on point...this is a scandal involving the "very" wealthy. Those who can spend hundreds of thousands of dollar to a few million...But not the "super wealthy", who can "donate" buildings.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

My guess, possibly wrong in the absence of knowing any more names than a few semi-celebs, is that most if not all were upper middle class or nouveau riche social climber types. And yes, the kids would have to be in on it. "I know how to get you into a real good school......"

The fact that most wanted to go to U$C tells you a lot about the people involved. The problem is that when the parents went there, dropping a few hundred thou was plenty to get them in, but now the school is more selective. You either have to actually be smart, or an unusually well connected "SCion" (that's what they call legacy kids), or a jock, or have parents who ponied up millions to name a whole department or whatever. Think Luca$ $chool of Cinematic Arts. That kind of bread. You can't go somewhere else, because for the kind of scenes the parents want their kids in, an $C connection really really helps. L.A. is provincial like that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

im willing to bet the parents also bought grades all thru whatever time--long or short--in which
their golden child stayed enrolled in the 'college'.

how many rich kids finish college. not that many. you have to want the education to help
your life while rich kids dont GAF since parents money will help their life as it did getting them
into the college.

why would spoiled rich kids GAF about a college degree?
im suspecting most rich kids are too dumb to graduate.
....without parental cash paid.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Could be. I know that professors have certain pressures not to flunk star athletes. I don't know what happens for donor's kids.

I do know that all this is a major PR hit for U$C, at a time when they didn't need any more of those.

The parody of "Fight On" sung enthusiastically on the UCLA side of the annual football confrontation does include a verse that goes, "Fight on for U$C, you pay your fee, you get your B." That's not really fair any more, but for the daddies with the big bucks, who knows? This is a university that at least in my time had a fancy restaurant upstairs in the student union where most students weren't welcome and couldn't afford it anyway. Mostly it was used by business types, especially oil company exex, to do lunch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

think about what a chow line this could be.
coaches get a tip, aides who do grading get tips, deans, dept heads, all get a lil something
for making things look good.

then...the kid drops out. :rw)
tho attending wouldnt matter much, wouldnt be that important when the tips are being paid.

shit like this would go all the way to the deans office. special treatment for rich kids.
ouch.

truthfully, i dont see how the above is avoided. the deans had to know what these yuge
payments were about. and where they went.

the belly of the beast is beginning to show.