RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

i mean srsly....THIS IS SOUNDING LIKE A TRUMPIAN CON GAME.
for fuck sake.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

one off the record glance, one hallway chat, that mr rich guys sons needs a C this semester.
no record of anything.

or am i just imagining the lengths to which these self entitled shitwads go.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

I hear Bernie Sanders think tank is stopping taking donations because it turns out it is a scam.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

one off the record glance, one hallway chat, that mr rich guys sons needs a C this semester.
no record of anything.

or am i just imagining the lengths to which these self entitled shitwads go.

You aren't. I've been in the office with a Black professor at a Very Prestigious Name-Recognition Intsitution of Higher Education picked up a call from an irate parent whose kid was getting a C- and demanded the kid get an A- so they could get into some brand-name frat. The professor refused, and held their ground.

The kicker: the parent told them, just think of it as a form of affirmative action. I crap you not. A generation later, absolutely nothing has changed with these conservative whites.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

Latest L.A. rumor making the rounds in the incestuous little world of above the line is that the two B-list daughters who Mom got into U$C never wanted to go there. They preferred Arizona State, which supposedly has better parties. That, not "bullying," is why they're dropping out of $C. I think U$C should put that in their ads: "Those who need any more proof that we are a quality university should notice that stars' kids drop out because they have to actually work."

I knew two A-listers' kids in movie school. They both worked their asses off, and they were undergrads.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:16 pm 

i don't get how a parent cheating the system to get their already very privileged kid into a good school is anywhere close to reasonable.

they're a horrible example and a terrible parent imo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

The two actresses have totally blown their careers, the kids are laughing stocks, and the universities have a huge black eye not entirely of their own making. The guy who arranged it will hopefully do time.

I'm more upset about the high-profile business types who will probably get off with big fines, or get away with it the way they get away with everything else.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

The two actresses have totally blown their careers, the kids are laughing stocks, and the universities have a huge black eye not entirely of their own making. The guy who arranged it will hopefully do time.

I'm more upset about the high-profile business types who will probably get off with big fines, or get away with it the way they get away with everything else.

Save me some time, please..who are the actors who have blown careers?

I dont use the word actress but anyway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

I would bet that those folks who have been indicted will come away with a felony conviction at a minimum. Whether the serve time or not depends a lot on the judge and the sentencing recommendations. The parents will probably do little or no time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

I would bet that those folks who have been indicted will come away with a felony conviction at a minimum. Whether the serve time or not depends a lot on the judge and the sentencing recommendations. The parents will probably do little or no time.

Depends on the party affiliation of the judge doing the sentencing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

Save me some time, please..who are the actors who have blown careers?

I dont use the word actress but anyway

Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

So I'm watching the Tee Vee news this afternoon and the scandal pops up with a feature on Laughlin's daughter one Olivia Jade Giannulli...a "social media influencer." WTF is a social media influencer? We have members of our culture who look to be influenced by people like Olivia Jade Giannulli??? This particular story focused this vacuous wad of dryer fluff and two of her fellow superficialites on a trip to Fiji to do some video influencing. Ms.Influencer decided to forgo the first week or 10 days of the USC session to follow her influential career. It appears that she has decided not to return to USC...and I remain confused as to the term "return" when it appears she never got there to begin with.

Mom apparently feels this is a great career track for her daughter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

"Social media influencer" looks like a dandy way to avoid saying "socialite."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

So I'm watching the Tee Vee news this afternoon and the scandal pops up with a feature on Laughlin's daughter one Olivia Jade Giannulli...a "social media influencer." WTF is a social media influencer? We have members of our culture who look to be influenced by people like Olivia Jade Giannulli??? This particular story focused this vacuous wad of dryer fluff and two of her fellow superficialites on a trip to Fiji to do some video influencing. Ms.Influencer decided to forgo the first week or 10 days of the USC session to follow her influential career. It appears that she has decided not to return to USC...and I remain confused as to the term "return" when it appears she never got there to begin with.

Mom apparently feels this is a great career track for her daughter.

a social influencer is a person who posts to social media and has a lot of people following them. They make money by giving favorable reviews of products companies paying them to talk up on their social media accounts. In other words, they're commercial prostitutes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Felicity married to Harrison Ford?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Felicity married to Harrison Ford?

Felicity Huffman (Desperate Housewives) is married to William H. Macy.

Calista Flockhart (Ally McBeal) is married to Harrison Ford.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:51 pm 
Policy Wonk

To state the obvious, money and morals don’t always mix | Opinion

Quote:
.........We live in a nation where equality is the official creed, but hardly the lived reality. To the contrary, people are jailed here because they cannot afford justice, ignorant here because they cannot afford learning, hungry here because they cannot afford food, dead here because they cannot afford health.

And the worst thing is, we accept that as somehow preordained, beyond our capacity to fix. Meantime, Forbes reported last year that the average CEO pulls down a salary 361 times more than his workers. In the 1950s, he earned “only” about 20 times more. How well do you live on your salary? How well could you live on your salary, times 20?

Yet when working-class people demand a wage large enough to simply sustain themselves — $15 an hour — it’s regarded as a radical idea and an existential threat. As perhaps it must be in a nation where poverty is structural, where the routes up and out are increasingly constricted and workers are kept distracted from their own plight by fights over race, religion and sexuality.

So this should be a wake-up call. While poor people fight internecine wars, while they choose between lights and food, while their services are cut and their industries disappear, rich people — some, at least — are writing large checks to lie their children into college. Every advantage in the world, and they take more.

If that’s not a moral issue we all should worry about, I don’t know what is..........

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:13 am 
Board Emeritus

:problem:

Mastermind Behind College Admission Scam Reportedly Faked Ethnicity of Students On Applications - BET

Quote:
Apparently, Rick Singer faked students’ ethnicity on applications to get them an affirmative action advantage, according to reports.

The 58-year-old plead guilty in Boston federal court on Tuesday (March 12) to running the largest college admissions fraud scam in United States history but now we’re learning even more about what happened.

Over seven years, Singer is estimated to have taken in $25 million from wealthy parents in order to get their kids into elite schools by bribery and cheating. He also reportedly faked young people’s race to give them an even better shot.

:roll:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:16 am 
Board Emeritus

It's snared Elizabeth Warren. She got a knack for making a bee line straight to issues she would be way ahead to avoid, and then she butts her head.

A couple days ago when I saw she'd sounded off all hard as nails, no sympathy for the parents being accused.

I thought Ouch! A blunt force self inflicted owie, got to hurt.

Today I saw this making the rounds in conservative world, it's from Powerline:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:47 am 
Board Emeritus

It's so remarkable that along with being so fucked up in pretty much every other way...American conservatives have no clue as to their own hypocrisy. Imagine being so insight impaired as to ridicule Warren (or anybody else) while they support this despicable lying-ass pedophile and serial sexual assault perp.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's snared Elizabeth Warren. She got a knack for making a bee line straight to issues she would be way ahead to avoid, and then she butts her head.

A couple days ago when I saw she'd sounded off all hard as nails, no sympathy for the parents being accused.

I thought Ouch! A blunt force self inflicted owie, got to hurt.

Today I saw this making the rounds in conservative world, it's from Powerline:

Legalinsurrection.com is also Rightie Saw A Hashtag Central.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

It's so remarkable that along with being so fucked up in pretty much every other way...American conservatives have no clue as to their own hypocrisy. Imagine being so insight impaired as to ridicule Warren (or anybody else) while they support this despicable lying-ass pedophile and serial sexual assault perp.
Yeah. That's what gets me. There is an awful lot to criticze on most polticians who've been around for a while. But there is no area (that I can come up with) that a Trump supporter has any leg to stand on when criticizing anyone......Really, I cant think of a single area where Trump isnt worse than anything he, and the conservatives, regularly accuse the left of. Be it ethical, political, legal, moral, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Agreed. And you're also right about "wanting what's best." My experience as a clinician and as a former child is that more often than not...what's best doesn't have much to do with the offspring's opinion of what's best.

WHAT PARENTS BOUGHT WITH BRIBERY AT ELITE COLLEGES WASN’T EDUCATION. IT WAS BRAND RECOGNITION - QZ

Quote:
A brand-name education is basically a luxury good at this point in the way it reflects a level of status and cultural capital. In her 2017 book, The Sum of Small Things: A Theory of the Aspirational Class, sociologist Elizabeth Currid-Halkett examined the shifting markers that define and communicate status in the US. In the past, the wealthy used publicly visible luxury goods to show off their rank—the “conspicuous consumption” economist and sociologist Thorstein Veblen identified in his classic, The Theory of the Leisure Class. But times have changed. Currid-Halkett argued that globalization and advances in technology have made these sorts of goods much more accessible to the average American, diminishing their appeal as status symbols.

“So instead of spending money on consumer products, Currid-Halkett finds that the rich increasingly focus their spending on ‘nonvisible, highly expensive goods and services’ that allow them to have time to gain that social capital and foster it in their children,” wrote Quartz’s Dan Kopf. “Such goods and services include child care, gardeners, and, most importantly, education.”

Tellingly, several of the schools that have been caught up in the scandal are brand names that convey the sort of cultural capital Currid-Halkett described, including Yale University, Stanford University, and the University of Southern California. (Currid-Halkett, who is a professor at USC, has not commented on the admissions scandal.) Schools such as Wake Forest University and University of Texas that were also named may have a little less brand cachet, but are still widely recognized, well-regarded names.

These schools are prestigious largely because they’re seen as offering a top-notch education. Theoretically that’s what the parents were allegedly buying into, except that the link between a school’s prestige and the education a student gets there is tenuous at best, as Quartz’s Jenny Anderson recently pointed out. She cites the work of a researcher from Stanford itself, who found that learning had little to do with the school’s ranking. “It appears that what students do in college is far more important than the type of institution they attend,” the research said.

I think the worst thing about this is, this scandal isn't going do anything to these brands. If anything, I bet there are ppl who will only point to them as even more desirable: see? Some class-climber parent thinks spending $50K to shove their kid in here is a good idea!

:problem:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:03 am 
Board Emeritus

Much like the MAGAhat cousins they look down on, this new-money culture of grifters with something to prove does not value, or understand, education. Also like their MAGAhat cousins, they also can't win without cheating, apparently.

They’re Already Rich. Why Were These Parents So Fixated on Elite Colleges? - Chron (get it before it goes behind the paywall)

Quote:
The Measure of a Good Parent
The admissions process is often harder on parents than it is on their children, says James W. Jump, director of college counseling at St. Christopher's School, in Richmond, Va. It may test their beliefs, he says – about parenting, about college, and about their own children. "It's easy to believe where your kids go to college is a measure of how good a parent you are," he said. "Which is ridiculous."

Admission Through the ‘Side Door’
Dozens of people, including famous actors, college coaches, and a university administrator, have been charged by federal prosecutors for their alleged roles in an admissions-bribery scheme involving Yale, Stanford, and other elite institutions.

Ridiculous or not, the idea is certainly pervasive. That's what Jessica Calarco, an assistant professor of sociology at Indiana University at Bloomington, takes away from the alleged bribery scheme. "If anything, this scandal shows that it has gotten somewhat harder to game the system," said Calarco, whose recent book, Negotiating Opportunities: How the Middle Class Secures Advantages in School, details the ways parents use schools to their advantage. "That's because so many more people are playing the game."

The ranks of the "mundanely privileged" – the doctors, lawyers, accountants, and, yes, professors – make a whole host of life decisions with their children's college options in mind, Calarco said. Parents "see their own self worth in terms of their kids' success," she said. And they define success in narrow terms: "Can you get your kid into Harvard?"

The same pressures, Calarco said, exist for parents as privileged as those implicated in the scandal. "Even if they're super rich," she said, "they're not a good parent unless their kid is successful."

Their kids are the ones who will then turn to the Black and Latino kids and claim they're only there on affirmative action. Ask me how I know. :problem: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:22 am 
Board Emeritus

A couple weeks ago, I got in a friendly little chat with a lady at the bus stop. I mentioned college and first thing out of her mouth was, "oh, did you go on a sports scholarship?"

I was like, dang, 6 minutes in, and you already went there. :problem:

College admissions scandal: Alleged ruse included a pole vaulter photo and $475,000 - LA Times

This is the alleged dollar amount from ONE parent. :problem:

Quote:

The complaint doesn’t say how Kimmel allegedly came into contact with William “Rick” Singer, the mastermind of the scheme who operated a for-profit college counseling and preparation business in Newport Beach known as the Key.

Authorities say Singer took advantage of a so-called “side door” to admissions in which universities allowed coaches to recruit a certain number of students for their athletic skill, often with less regard for their academic or extracurricular attributes. To make it happen, Singer had a number of coaches and administrators in prestigious universities nationwide in his pocket, including an unnamed coach at the University of San Diego, the FBI said.

In most cases, the students had no experience with the sport they were actually being recruited for. It didn’t seem to matter.

According to the complaint, Singer asked Laura Janke, a USC women’s soccer coach — who is accused of accepting upward of $350,000 in bribes in partnership with another coach in the admissions scheme — to make a suitable athletic profile for the boy that would show him as a track and field star.

Rather than supply her with an actual photo of the boy, Singer told the coach to find one of a pole vaulter to use.

The one submitted in his packet is actually an action shot of Jancen Power, a Texas high school student at a state championship in Austin, that appeared in the San Angelo Standard-Times.

The Kimmel boy, on the other hand, had no record of participating in track and field in high school, despite his application calling him a “one of the top pole vaulters in the state of California.”

With the application passed on to Donna Heinel — USC’s senior associate athletic director, also charged as a knowing accomplice in the case — the teen was conditionally accepted.

Two weeks later, the Meyer Charitable Foundation wrote a $50,000 check to the USC’s Women’s Athletics Board. The check was signed by Kimmel’s husband, according to the complaint.

:problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: