RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:55 am 
Board Emeritus

he 737 inmates on California's largest-in-the-nation death row are getting a reprieve from Governor Gavin Newsom, who plans to sign an executive order Wednesday placing a moratorium on executions.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/artic ... 683956.php.

Governor Newsom called California's Death Penalty "Discriminatory and Immoral".

There has not been an Execution in California since 2006, when Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger was Governor. There are currently Seven Hundred Thirty-Seven (737) Inmates awaiting Execution at the California State Prison at San Quentin where California's "[b]Death Row[/b]" is located.

Governor Newsom also is withdrawing the lethal injection regulations that death penalty opponents already have tied up in courts and shuttering the new execution chamber at San Quentin State Prison that has never been used.

California Senator Kamala Harris, who prior to being elected to the Senate served as Attorney General for California and before that as District Attorney for the City and County of San Francisco praised Governor Newsom for this action.

"As a career law enforcement official, I have opposed the death penalty because it is immoral, discriminatory, ineffective, and a gross misuse of taxpayer dollars," said Senator Harris in a statement.

45 had to weigh into as well. "Friends and families of the always forgotten VICTIMS are not thrilled, and neither am I!", tweeted the Orange Shit Gibbon.

More than Six out of every Ten Inmates on Death Row in California are a Minority. Nationwide One in Four Inmates on Death Row are in California.

"The intentional killing of another person is wrong and as governor, I will not oversee the execution of any individual," wrote the Governor in a prepared statement.

I applaud Governor Newsom for doing this. The Death Penalty serves no purpose other than to kill. It is state sanctioned murder. The Judge who hands down a death penalty is just as guilty of murder as the person he/she is convicting. As is the D.A. asking for Death Penalty and the jury who votes in favor of it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

The CA death penalty has been very messy for some time now, and I agree with this decision. Some other people don't.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

The decision and its timing are correct. The death penalty hasn't and doesn't discourage crime, kidnapping, or murder. For death penalty advocates it's more about revenge than punishment.

As for the timing of the decision, there's a saying that goes something like if you're going to make a controversial decision do it early in your term so it will be forgotten when it's time for reelection. Newsom took office in January so he won't have to face reelection and have this be much of an issue in 2022. Last year, Californians voted 53% to 47% on Prop 62 not to repeal the death penalty. The death penalty issue is controversial and the closeness of last year's proposition shows the state is almost evenly divided on the issue. With that close of a division, chances are it won't hurt Newsom in 2022.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's nice.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:44 am 
Board Emeritus

Now Republicans are thinking they can make hay out of this. Those 7-Districts that flipped, well they are going to go after them. The only thing standing in their way is the fact that the California Republican Party has only something 27% of Registered Voters in California and the largest registered block of Voters in California are Hispanic-American/Asian-American/African-American Voters and we all know hard Republicans have worked for their support....NOT!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

The media are gathering with torches and pitchforks, just as you'd expect them to.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:11 pm 

i know i've said this before but this is my guy for president.

as for state sanctioned killings, i got qualms with it so yea gavin.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

i know i've said this before but this is my guy for president.

as for state sanctioned killings, i got qualms with it so yea gavin.

Wont be running and if he does and loses or doesnt run I assume you will RACE to the polls to vote for ALL democrats

Everybody agree?

Vote BLUE no matter who!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Wont be running and if he does and loses or doesnt run I assume you will RACE to the polls to vote for ALL democrats

Everybody agree?

Vote BLUE no matter who!

Lucy lives in Canada Libertas.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:04 pm 

Lucy lives in Canada Libertas.

i'm sure he is aware sam. :roll:

i agree in the sense of anyone but trump but i don't agree with "vote for ALL democrats" there is some out there liberals i would not vote for.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

knew it