RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Trying to put a show together when a new story breaks every two hours.

737 Max 8&9 grounded in US.
Manafort gets 16 criminal charges in NYC - no pardon.
Manafort gets another light fed sentence, part of which runs concurrently.
Rich types and celebs being rounded up in college scandal. Mug shots and everything, then bond.
Daesh/ISIS apparently near collapse.
Discovery of real time travel, at least in quantum computing, events finish before they started.
Biggest storm ever in central US, damage and blizzards.
Facebook, What's App, and Instagram having serious server problems, going up and down.
UK parliament votes down no-deal brexit, leaving future totally uncertain.
An adware PUP has infected 200+ Android apps on the Google Store.
L.A. is swarming with little brown butterflies. They're fun to see. One large cloud actually stopped traffic in the Sepulveda Pass at one point.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:49 pm 
Policy Wonk

...dont forget the 'bomb cyclone' hitting much of the US.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

I thought is was kind of a slow news day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

If one cannot walk and chew gum at the same time then chances are they can't handle many items at once. The key for a news director is to be able identify and then prioritize news items based upon their importance. Newspaper editors and TV news directors both have similar jobs in determining not only what items to report but where in their respective media they go. A newspaper would put the main stories on the front page (Section A, Page One) with less important stories on the following pages. A television director puts the main stories on first then the lesser important stories followed by a human interest story.

But yeah, a news director has a lot to think and decide about as to which stories to report on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:35 pm 
Policy Wonk

Many years ago, I worked at the assignment desk of what was, at the time anyway, the nation's largest independent station. Interesting how we sometimes decided what was to be covered. I can assure you, it didnt comport with 'all lives matter.'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Trying to put a show together when a new story breaks every two hours.

737 Max 8&9 grounded in US.
Manafort gets 16 criminal charges in NYC - no pardon.
Manafort gets another light fed sentence, part of which runs concurrently.
Rich types and celebs being rounded up in college scandal. Mug shots and everything, then bond.
Daesh/ISIS apparently near collapse.
Discovery of real time travel, at least in quantum computing, events finish before they started.
Biggest storm ever in central US, damage and blizzards.
Facebook, What's App, and Instagram having serious server problems, going up and down.
UK parliament votes down no-deal brexit, leaving future totally uncertain.
An adware PUP has infected 200+ Android apps on the Google Store.
L.A. is swarming with little brown butterflies. They're fun to see. One large cloud actually stopped traffic in the Sepulveda Pass at one point.

Cripes. And here I am, glad I'm not in U$C Comms department this week. :problem:

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

During my short stint in the real news business as opposed to freelancing, news directors and editors would have a budget meeting in the morning where they decided what would be covered that day, and how much space/time/whatever it would get. On days with this many breaking stories, the budget would be irrelevant, stories they spent money covering would be pushed to the back or out completely, and they'd have to wing it.

The L.A. times had the bandwidth to get pretty much everything into the print edition before it closed, which is much earlier than it used to be. Even the web site isn't as current as it might be, and it's impossible to find anything on it. The morning print edition had at least 4 stories on the college thing and still had room. This is a big advantage of print over broadcasting. Broadcast news really has a very small newshole. (They call it the newshole, I didn't make it up.)