RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

For the first time in nearly 10-Years, the State of California is drought free.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... story.html.

For the first time since 2011, the state shows no areas suffering from prolonged drought and illustrates almost entirely normal conditions, according to a map released Thursday by the U.S. Drought Monitor.

Former Gov. Jerry Brown issued an executive order in 2017 that lifted the drought emergency in most of the state, leaving some breathing a sigh of relief. But he cautioned Californians to keep saving water as some parts of the state were still suffering from extreme drought.

Now, two years later, that deficit seems to have been erased, thanks to an exceptionally wet winter.

At the height of the drought, cities and counties in California banned watering of lawns and washing your car. People were putting bricks in their toilets and flushing only when necessary.

I still shave and shower every other day. But as Gail and I drive into San Rafael, we see the lush green hills and talk about how pretty they are. The lurking dread of course is the now semi-permanent fire season that California now has.

Those beautiful green hills will turn brown in the summer. Making fire danger very high.

But the drought is over. Praise the Great Donut Gods. But now I have to wash the car...can't have everything.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's not as wet here as it was in 2017.

Why do you have to wash the car now?

Around here it works the other way around. When there's no rain for a year, at the end of that year then I can see how a car might need a quick rinse off with a hose.

During the drought I hosed two of my cars off in one day. Folks were pretty impressed around town, several people commented favorably on it.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

I saw that about the drought. Good news, for this year anyway. California is cyclical, so I would imagine there's a good chance of all that nice green we're seeing everywhere turning brown in summertime and setting up another nasty fire season.

At least, when it rains this much, there IS a fire season, instead of a year-round battle. The fire fighters needed R and R.

I haven't checked on that dam up north that had all the trouble. They've rebuilt the spillway but I don't know how ready they are for all the snow melt they're about to get.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

Waiting for the "Climate Change Fake News" tweet from the pedophile.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

For the first time in nearly 10-Years, the State of California is drought free.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... story.html.

For the first time since 2011, the state shows no areas suffering from prolonged drought and illustrates almost entirely normal conditions, according to a map released Thursday by the U.S. Drought Monitor.

Former Gov. Jerry Brown issued an executive order in 2017 that lifted the drought emergency in most of the state, leaving some breathing a sigh of relief. But he cautioned Californians to keep saving water as some parts of the state were still suffering from extreme drought.

Now, two years later, that deficit seems to have been erased, thanks to an exceptionally wet winter.

At the height of the drought, cities and counties in California banned watering of lawns and washing your car. People were putting bricks in their toilets and flushing only when necessary.

I still shave and shower every other day. But as Gail and I drive into San Rafael, we see the lush green hills and talk about how pretty they are. The lurking dread of course is the now semi-permanent fire season that California now has.

Those beautiful green hills will turn brown in the summer. Making fire danger very high.

But the drought is over. Praise the Great Donut Gods. But now I have to wash the car...can't have everything.

The only close to being in drought conditions is along a small section of the California/Oregon border. There are four Southern California counties that are abnormally dry. Reservoirs in San Diego are about 65% of capacity.

The good news is the snow pack in the Sierras is way, way above normal. Watching the news last night, they weather person said the snow packs are over 14 feet deep and covering the senors. The final, official snow pack reading won't be until April but so far they're 150% above normal. I suspect two things will happen because of the wet winter we've had and the deep snow pack. There will be an increase in the number of mosquitoes this spring/summer and as the snow packs melt we'll see flooding.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's not as wet here as it was in 2017.

Why do you have to wash the car now?

Around here it works the other way around. When there's no rain for a year, at the end of that year then I can see how a car might need a quick rinse off with a hose.

During the drought I hosed two of my cars off in one day. Folks were pretty impressed around town, several people commented favorably on it.

:)

Even during the drought, I washed my car. Normally, it takes about 20 - 30 gallons to wash a car but I typically use about 8-10 ounces when I wash my car. Instead of using a hose and bucket, I dust my car off with a California Duster and then use a 1-quart spray bottle of clean water. I'd spray a section of the car, wipe it down with a small terry cloth towel and then dry it immediately with an other small terry cloth towel. The upside of doing it this way is it takes less time to wash the car and I don't get wet or leave puddles around the car. If needed, I can always tap the water in one of our four rain barrels to use on my car since it's not potable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Marin Municipal Water District reported that the watershed(s) they used were at capacity in the middle of February. As I recall this was suppose to be an El Nino year...so much for that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

El Nino years are rainy, but they seem to be saying the one this year was too weak to do this much. Apparently the jet stream favored the "atmospheric river" flow.

All I know is that we had an actual winter in L.A. for the first time in many years, and it was refreshing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:54 am 
Board Emeritus

Those "Atmospheric Rivers", we got hit with several. At the beginning of season we were warned that conditions did not favor a heavy rainy season....to say the experts were wrong would be an understatement.

The burn areas were hit that double wamie, first the fires and then the floods....in Sausalito a house slid down the hillside. The Woman survived was damn lucky. The people who live along the Russian River know what to expect.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

As for having to wash the car. In order to save water Gail and I used a car wash in San Rafael, near the United Market across from San Rafael Fire Department.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

The rain transformed SoCal in a way that used to happen pretty much every spring, but now it's the first time in most people's memory. The place has been full of little butterflies for about a week now. The wildflowers exploded in the hills. Poppy-peepers got so thick in Lake Elsinore that they had to close streets.