It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://www.thenation.com/article/repro ... -breeding/

Quote:
I hate liberalism’s language of “choice.” I always have. Redolent of the marketplace, it reduces the most intimate aspects of existence, of women’s physical autonomy, to individualistic purchasing preferences. A sex life or a Subaru? A child or a cheeseburger? Life, death or liposuction? In that circumstance, capitalism’s only question is, Who pays and who profits? The state’s only question is, Who regulates and how much? If there is an upside to the right’s latest, seemingly loony and certainly grotesque multi-front assault on women, it is the clarion it sounds to humanists to take the high ground and ditch the anodyne talk of “a woman’s right to choose” for the weightier, fundamental assertion of “a woman’s right to be.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

As I've said a few times, the struggle for reproductive rights and freedom is about more than just abortion. Forced pregnancy is wrong.

However, there has been a long history in this country of forced eugenic sterilization of women - so we've taken away some women's ability TO reproduce as well.

Also, China has in the past mandated some women, forcing them into having abortions.

"Pro choice" - however you don't like the terminology - is simply saying this decision should not be forced or mandated by the state in any direction.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

For me the issue is all about medical confidentiality. The course of treatment chosen (thus "choice") is nobody's business but that of the woman and her physician. And that includes the sperm donor. And it's protected by federal HIPAA laws and state medical confidentiality laws in every state in the union.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Having grown up being "prolife" and switching to pro-choice/pro-abortion came from the realization that the one thing conservatives and especially conservative males hate the most is a woman with complete physical autonomy.

Many of our country-wide moral dilemmas, or fwiw amoral dilemmas, stem from a militant refusal to come to terms with an economy based on the buying and selling of people.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Having grown up being "prolife" and switching to pro-choice/pro-abortion came from the realization that the one thing conservatives and especially conservative males hate the most is a woman with complete physical autonomy.

Many of our country-wide moral dilemmas, or fwiw amoral dilemmas, stem from a militant refusal to come to terms with an economy based on the buying and selling of people.

An economy based on the buying and selling of people, yes. In addition they refuse to recognize power centers. They refuse to recognize what Adam Smith recognized which was that power will aggregate in any transactional situation against those who lack power. While I am pro-choice (and I am anti-abortion but seeing as I am a male and can never carry a child I do not feel that I can be allowed the authority over that decision) I admit to a bit of ambiguity regarding a male who was involved in the act not being involved in the aftermath. I do not say said male should be allowed a veto. I simply do not know and admit to such. A male is not merely a turkey baster. OTOH, far too many males willingly play the turkey baster role just so they can get their rocks off. This is unacceptable. And for far too long what has been the unspoken and many times spoken standard is a male fucks many women and he is a stud, a playboy and far too often a “man’s man” whatever the fuck that means. A woman fucks and she is a slut. Perhaps it derives from religion or perhaps from tribal patriarchal hierarchy. It almost doesn’t matter. Until men can see women first as humans we will likely see change that is extremely hard to come by and very fragile to maintain.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

And yet we have red state legislatures full of asshole christains who just can't mind their own fucking business and will find some asshole christian judge who can't mind his own fucking business who will rule that any woman wanting an abortion in their shithole state will have to allow herself to be penetrated against her will with a vaginal ultrasound probe by some rapist with a medical license who will do it even though it's a violation of his oath because he's an asshole christian.

What a great fucking country