Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

San Pedro Explosion Rattles Neighborhood

SAN PEDRO, CA – An explosion rattled a San Pedro neighborhood Monday morning. The explosion, which also involved a fire, occurred at 9:57 a.m. near 661 N. Harbor Boulevard in San Pedro, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

It involved a big rig/enclosed trailer vehicle and at least one person was being assessed for possible injuries, LAFD said.

https://patch.com/california/palosverde ... ood-report

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oops. Accumulated gasoline fumes got lit somehow?

The best explosion in San Pedro was the time that the fumes inside an empty tanker went off, blowing said vessel out of the water. The superstructure in the stern ended up on the dock. I felt that one 25-30 miles away. They changed the rules for purging explosive fumes in tankers after that one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Why do you guys all call it "San Peed-ro"?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:57 am 
Board Emeritus

Good question. Beats me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:12 am 
Board Emeritus

Haha I don't know anybody who calls it San Peedro.

Par for the course, I guess.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:48 am 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, I think we call it LA.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:32 am 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, I think we call it LA.

You call San Peedro, L.A.?

Remind me not to ask you for directions to San Peedro.

"It easy, Ike. Just go to L.A. and turn right...or left depending on where you're coming from.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:54 am 
Board Emeritus

From here it's an eight hour drive, if you want to go to LA I'll tell you to go to LA, that's as good as it gets Ike. I would never live in a place like that.

I haven't been to LA since I was crewing on the SS California during a coastal tour. We were there for a couple weeks.

Her home port is in San Diego.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Haha I don't know anybody who calls it San Peedro.

Par for the course, I guess.

I was born in California. I have lived, off-and-ion, in California for 46 years as a child, a teenager, and as an adult. I've lived California for the last 16 years and I don't ever recall hearing San Pedro "San Peedro." It must be all them foreigners (non-Californians) who call it that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

From here it's an eight hour drive, if you want to go to LA I'll tell you to go to LA, that's as good as it gets Ike. I would never live in a place like that.

I haven't been to LA since I was crewing on the SS California during a coastal tour. We were there for a couple weeks.

Her home port is in San Diego.

I have lived in San Diego, and West Hollywood.
I would never live in a place where three quarters of my neighbors are asshole Trumpers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was born in California. I have lived, off-and-ion, in California for 46 years as a child, a teenager, and as an adult. I've lived California for the last 16 years and I don't ever recall hearing San Pedro "San Peedro." It must be all them foreigners (non-Californians) who call it that.

How 'bout "San Oh-No-Free"?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have lived in San Diego, and West Hollywood.
I would never live in a place where three quarters of my neighbors are asshole Trumpers.

San Diego is Democratic. East San Diego county is where most of the republicans live. San Diego county voted for Hillary Clinton 56.3% to Trump's 36.6% so it's save for you to live in San Diego.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

West Hollywood is about as blue as it gets.

San Peeeedro is L.A.. When they wanted to move the harbor away from the Long Wharf in what is now Pacific Palisades, they annexed it. They wanted to keep the city contiguous, so there's a corridor something like 4 blocks wide along Western Ave.. It goes all the way from South Central to San Peeeeedro, where it gets big again. On the map, it looks like a tentacle. So half the harbor is in Los Angeles, and the other half is in Long Beach.

Last edited by ZoWie on Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

West Hollywood is about as blue as it gets.

We have old friends in San Diego, both grew up here in Chicago. One of them is a semi-retired orthopaedic surgeon. Hard core Democrats. We lived in West Hollywood just off of Melrose. When we lived there, the mayor was a lesbian. Way blue even in 1975. Way ahead of the curve from Lori Lightfoot. I think we talked about this one time...how Santa Monica Blvd. was the center of the massage parlor universe back then. No wonder Sam hates L.A., eh?

I lived on the MCRD in San Diego.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

We have old friends in San Diego, both grew up here in Chicago. One of them is a semi-retired orthopaedic surgeon. Hard core Democrats. We lived in West Hollywood just off of Melrose. When we lived there, the mayor was a lesbian. Way blue even in 1975. Way ahead of the curve from Lori Lightfoot. I think we talked about this one time...how Santa Monica Blvd. was the center of the massage parlor universe back then. No wonder Sam hates L.A., eh?

I lived on the MCRD in San Diego.

Living on a military base is like living in another place. You can enjoy what the local area has to offer but once you step back on-base you're in another world. I lived on base during my first eight years of service (in the dorms) but it was way much better living off-base, especially if you're overseas.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

Living on a military base is like living in another place. You can enjoy what the local area has to offer but once you step back on-base you're in another world. I lived on base during my first eight years of service (in the dorms) but it was way much better living off-base, especially if you're overseas.

That's right. The worst was Marine boot camp where nobody could talk without permission, so the amount of conversation was way below normal. And if you got caught at it without permission you were likely to get beaten. So it was like having been sent to the aphasic's home where the staff were all concentration camp guards. And I spent even more time at the MCRD which was the location of the communications school, and I had a telegrapher MOS. So, as you said, nights out all over San Diego, days at the otherworldly MCRD.