It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

Tax extortion is on the rise.

Quote:
“We can’t arrest our way out of this situation because there are too many con men out there,” said Steven D’Antuono, section chief of the FBI’s D.C.-based financial crimes section.

So many con artists that arresting them all isn't an option. I'm so proud of my species.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

When I get their recorded calls I just hang up. They used to have someone with an Indian (Asian) accent calling saying their is a warrant out for my arrest if I don't immediately pay them the police will come and arrest me. For that fool, I tell them "Go ahead and call the police. They won't have a problem finding me since I live three blocks from the police station." That would rile him up and he'd start threatening me some more. I'd then tell him "I'll be home all day waiting for the police to come. Goodbye."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

I get one which says I'm in foreclosure, call this number to get an extension or else join the homeless.

We own the place.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:35 am 
Board Emeritus

I've been getting the one where someone calls and says there is a message for me and I need to call a mailbox number and give them another control number the caller gives me to give the person I reach when I make that call.

I don't know what its about. I refuse to take that phone number or their message number.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:33 am 
Board Emeritus

I'm getting this weird daily robocall where I get a brief message telling me to call either Microsoft or Apple Tech Support and get the money they owe me.

I think it's really cool - I can actually choose whose tech support is the one who owes me money. :mrgreen:

(Though I'm not sure why ... I'm often a pain in the ass to those guys and I would figure at this point they would be telling me the opposite. Because I usually bitch about the script they're reading from to me, and that steps 1-8 I've already tried so just skip ahead or call somebody up the chain. :D )

Out of shits and giggles, I checked, the number they left is not - I know, shockingly - associated with either Microsoft or Apple.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:43 am 
Policy Wonk

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/how-to-kno ... -your-door
Note that the IRS does not:
Call to demand immediate payment using a specific payment method such as a prepaid debit card, gift card or wire transfer. Generally, the IRS will first mail a bill to any taxpayer who owes taxes.
Demand that you pay taxes without the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe. You should also be advised of your rights as a taxpayer.
Threaten to bring in local police, immigration officers or other law-enforcement to have you arrested for not paying. The IRS also cannot revoke your driver’s license, business licenses, or immigration status. Threats like these are common tactics scam artists use to trick victims into buying into their schemes.
If you owe taxes:
The IRS instructs taxpayers to make payments to the “United States Treasury.” The IRS provides specific guidelines on how you can make a tax payment at irs.gov/payments.

This is what i sent to a friend of my brothers last summer. He'd left work to withdraw a thousand dollars for unpaid taxes from the bank and was told by the scammer to wire it to an account immediately or he would have the police on his door step by the end of the night. He bought it and was about to send the payment , along with personal information, when i finally got hold of him on his phone. It took me another twenty minutes to convince him it was all a scam. (he seemed terrified and not thinking right. For some reason he could not get it out of his head that he was about to be arrested.) It was after he let on that he had given some personal information to the scammer about his bank account. :shock: i told him to contact his bank, secure his account, and do the same for any other info he may have let slip. After that, if they do contact you again, remember this.....Stay on the phone just long enough to let them know you have reported them to the IRS and local authorities. Tell them, the police will be on his doorstep by the end of the night. Then.......Hang up!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:58 am 
Board Emeritus

There will always be a scam and there will always be people who fall for it.

"This is IRS, please remit immediately the monies owed....."

I have a few such calls, I always ask for employee I.D. Number and the location of the office they are calling from.

One or two threatened me by saying they were calling the police as we were speaking, I gave them directions and told them the door was open.

I even received a phone from the F.B.I. telling I had been victim of Identity Theft and that to insure prompt action I had send X-Amount of money to their office.

They are still waiting for the check.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm getting this weird daily robocall where I get a brief message telling me to call either Microsoft or Apple Tech Support and get the money they owe me.

I think it's really cool - I can actually choose whose tech support is the one who owes me money. :mrgreen:

(Though I'm not sure why ... I'm often a pain in the ass to those guys and I would figure at this point they would be telling me the opposite. Because I usually bitch about the script they're reading from to me, and that steps 1-8 I've already tried so just skip ahead or call somebody up the chain. :D )

Out of shits and giggles, I checked, the number they left is not - I know, shockingly - associated with either Microsoft or Apple.

I got a call, once, from a guy with an Indian (Asian) accent saying he was "Mike from Microsoft security" and that my computer was infected and that I needed to contact them on my computer immediately to take care of the threat. As soon as I was able to interrupt his scripted spiel, I said "Mike, you do know I work for Microsoft (of course I was lying), don't you?" The next sound I heard was dead silence from when he disconnected the call.

Most of the scammers now use recorded messages rather than a live person but when they do call with a live human I'm going to tell them to hold for a moment, partially cover phone, and pretend I'm asking someone to initiate a trace on the call. If they stay on then I'll continue the ruse and tell my pretend friend to contact Interpol all the while knowing the scammer can hear this and then wait to see what they do. Sometimes I like to mess with them and most times I just hang up on them.