It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:01 am 
Board Emeritus

Jewish groups oppose Clovis visit by author critical of Israel policies
https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/ar ... 64747.html

Weir, a critic of U.S.-Israel policy and of media coverage of the Israel-Palestine conflict, is scheduled to speak at an event hosted by If Americans Knew, an organization that calls itself an information hub for underreported issues. Weir founded the organization. Fresno-based GV Wire is sponsoring the visit.

The Anti-Defamation League, one of the Jewish groups criticizing the visit, called Weir an anti-Semite based on past comments she has made. Weir has been condemned by the ADL and others for having her writing appear on sites considered to be run by white supremacists.

[snip]

American Jewish Committee, another Jewish organization opposed to the event, said in a statement that it was shocked that GV Wire would sponsor Weir’s visit.

The acting chief of staff for the group’s Los Angeles office, Dganit Abramoff, said, “It is disturbing that someone with a blatantly anti-Semitic history would be given a platform by this media organization.”

[snip][end]

OK ... so before anybody says "well, she's just critical of Israel and that doesn't make her anti-Semitic" ... let's take a look.

-- Alison writes for the Unz Review, a notoriously anti-Semitic right wing publication put out by Ron Unz which I've mentioned many times. Unz says Jews are over-represented at American universities. Is that just "criticism of Israel"? BTW: Unz Review HAS carried articles by white nationalists.
-- Philip Giraldi writes also for the Unz Review, and is the executive director for Council on the National Interest, where she's also on the board. Giraldi was the one who wrote the article Plame retweeted "Are American Jews behind all of America's wars?" Is that just "criticism of Israel"?
-- McCloskey and Findley, two people involved in CNI, both spoke before the Institute for Historical Review (IHR), a Holocaust denial organization. Is that just "criticism of Israel"?

Even Jewish Voice for Peace refuses to work with her ... and that's saying something.

[from Wiki]
In June 2015, Jewish Voice for Peace (JVP) stated that they chose not to work with Weir, on the grounds that "she has consistently chosen to stay silent when given the opportunity to challenge bigotry, which we find repugnant. There is a fundamental difference between engaging with oppressive beliefs in order to challenge them, and tacitly or directly endorsing those beliefs without challenge."

[snip][end]

Nobody forced her to write for the Unz Review or associate with these people. I think the ADL has the correct stance. So does JVP!

Should she be allowed to speak? Of course, it's freedom of speech. Does that mean I am going to ignore who she is and what she's done? No, no I won't.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:22 am 
Board Emeritus

OK ... so before anybody says "well, she's just critical of Israel and that doesn't make her anti-Semitic" ... let's take a look.

Got "anybody" special here on RFL in mind, perfesser?

Should she be allowed to speak? Of course, it's freedom of speech. Does that mean I am going to ignore who she is and what she's done? No, no I won't.

If your criteria is what you stated above...it seems to me you've been doing a whole lot of ignoring who somebody is and is not on this forum. The only members who have not been ignoring it are Viewer and me.

BUT YOU'RE NOT RACIST....EXCEPT WHEN YOU ARE.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:03 am 
Board Emeritus

This will cause me to be accused of being Swiss again, but ....

Personally, I don't think Marin is anti-Semitic, and I don't think you are a person who "hates" Palestinians/Arabs or thinks they have no right to life.

What I find fascinating is you both pretty much have the exact same attitude toward religion in general.

I have my own reactions toward theism ... its logical and empirical problems ... why I gave up on it a long time ago; I just recognize that a lot of world religions are non theistic. I also don't object to being around or even being in political coalitions with progressive theists (like Rev. Barber, etc.)

I also think the universe might contain ... well, I would call them higher intelligences. To whatever extent those correspond to what humans think of as "gods" ... well, they probably wouldn't.

I suspect to lifeforms like ourselves, they would be incomprehensible; maybe about the way we seem to ants. I'm also not sure how much attention they would pay to us. However, I suspect once they reach a certain technological level, they might be able to reshape the universe itself. Cf. Dyson Spheres, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Alison Weir is the worst. She is a recruiter.

Clovis is Sundown Town territory.

With this race baiting comment outta carmen, I feel I owe the guy [glen] an apology.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yup, it's hard core Nunes country.