RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Anybody watching...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

They are now comparing past contempt of congress to today to defend and ALLOW rump to commit treason and destroy all western democracies.

"Well the dems did it and nothing happened!"

:problem:

Quote:
I went to Santa Monica High School and know all about this racist clown. He ran for student body president by making offensive racial slurs to my fellow student and created so much outrage they had to assign his own security. In high school. At the tax payers expense. He lost of course. He then acted out by trashing the school otchestra's musical instruments beyond repair. His parents couldn't pay for the damages so the school had to have a fundraiser. So it is no surprise we are seeing immigrant toddlers ripped from the parent and thrown into cages and shot up with psychotropic drugs.

Conservative male incel behavior.

dumb confederate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

BTW, one problem with country music is most of the artists seem to have left their balls in their other pants.

Nashville's Last Taboo? Country Music Stars Are Tiptoeing Around Trump
With an audience that's "polarized as fuck," Nashville's brightest stars are torn over whether to talk about the president.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/re ... nald-trump

[snip]

Meanwhile, on the vocally pro-Trump end of the spectrum are country artists like the middle-tier whiskey-and-women enthusiast Justin Moore (“I like the fact that [Trump] evokes a sense of winning, you know?”) and mop-headed jester Chris Janson, as well as a cross-section of conservative elder statesmen including Charlie Daniels, Ronnie Dunn, the Oak Ridge Boys, and Kenny Rogers.

But between these two poles is a vast middle ground, inhabited by virtually every mainstream contemporary superstar in country music. Of the 87 artists currently on either Billboard’s Top Country Albums or Hot Country Songs charts, only five (Simpson, Moore, Janson, Maren Morris, and the Brothers Osborne) have gone on the record with a clearly favorable or unfavorable opinion of Trump or his policy proposals from the beginning of the 2016 campaign to the time of this posting, according to an analysis by BuzzFeed News.

More so than prominent figures in other popular music genres, Hollywood A-listers, or even a growing number of multinational corporations, the dominant figures of country music have so far abstained from national conversations about the Trump administration’s policy initiatives and rhetoric.

[snip]

Country music fans have been pegged as politically conservative since at least 1969, when Merle Haggard’s ostensibly anti-hippie hit “Okie From Muskogee” became the unofficial anthem of Richard Nixon’s “silent majority.” (In the aftermath of 9/11, two events — a surge in popularity for flag-wavers like Toby Keith and Lee Greenwood, and a boycott of the Dixie Chicks after their criticism of President George W. Bush and the invasion of Iraq — breathed new life into the stereotype.) But Trump is hardly a traditional conservative, and the genre’s connection to conservatism, tenuous to begin with, has frayed as several generations of crossover stars and tectonic cultural shifts have diversified its audience.

[snip]

In a July 2016 Billboard magazine cover story, Nashville’s prom king emeritus and The Voice co-host Blake Shelton said he admired that then-candidate Trump “says what he thinks,” and that he had “proven that you don’t always have to be so afraid.” It was not a particularly bold stance, avoiding policy description and keying into one of the more stereotypically “country” aspects of Trumpism.

“There’s a long tradition, particularly among male country artists, of the abject loser [character] who everybody criticizes, but he just goes along and says what he thinks,” noted Pecknold. “George Jones could be like that; Hank Williams Jr., Toby Keith. And so I think Trump’s persona aligns with that really well.”

[snip]

Today, if Shelton were to disparage Trump instead of compliment him, experts said, he’d run the risk of significant backlash from other constituents, including country music’s most powerful audience of all: radio station programming directors. Even as a younger generation of artists has sometimes succeeded in pushing mainstream country radio in a more inclusive sonic direction, rigid gatekeepers at the kinds of stations that can make or break careers remain far more conservative, on average, than the modern country fan.

Reticence among mainstream performers isn't purely an economic calculation, experts said. For decades before Trump, public demurral on political discussion had been a staple of an informal code of conduct in the country music industry. Distinct among their counterparts from more liberal sectors of the entertainment business, many mainstream country artists — and some parts of the country music audience — continue to subscribe to genteel, midcentury notions of modesty, with savvy dissenters like Haggard, Willie Nelson, and Dolly Parton among high-profile exceptions who prove the rule.

“You shouldn’t talk about politics, religion, or sex in mixed company,” summarized Nadine Hubbs, a professor of music at the University of Michigan and author of Rednecks, Queers, and Country Music, invoking an old adage. “That sort of old-fashioned attitude is still in circulation in Nashville and, I think, across the South. So while there are some country artists who have been very vocal about their political stances, there are very many who don’t want to make that a part of their public persona.”

[snip][end]

Modern country seems a lot different from the folk singers of the 60s, who were unafraid to take on Nixon and the Vietnam War.

Contemporary country artists either lionize and love-fest for Trump, or stay out of politics.

Feh. Yes, it IS another reason I don't listen. Well, that, and most country songs are boringly similar to each other. That's why in my first post I posted the song about what happens when you play a country song backwards. People laugh at that song, because every country song is pretty much the same, so the same shit will happen if you play it backwards.

You get your dog back, your truck back, your drinking buddies back .... blah blah blah. Country music is fucking boring.

You asked.

I meant to respond to this earlier but time got away from me.

That last comment really hits me where I live. I don’t really have any real drinking buddies but what southern boy wouldn’t want to get his dog (pronounced “dawg”) back? And trucks? I drove trucks all my life. I don’t drive one anymore but I sure miss my F250. I’m getting kind of misty just thinking about it. People just don’t write songs like that anymore. I haven’t heard anyone rap about a dog or a truck. I got a nephew who’s a rap artist with a label in Nashville. I’m going mention that to him. Maybe he can rap on about ole Blue or my F250. I think that would flow. Don’t you?

By the way, I’m a Dixie Chicks can myself. That Natalie has a great set of pipes on her. I like most genres except classical, rap, gospel. I like live albums mostly. Today I was listening to Elton John and Prince. Yesterday I was listening to Kenny Chesney.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

I haven’t heard anyone rap about a dog or a truck. I got a nephew who’s a rap artist with a label in Nashville. I’m going mention that to him. Maybe he can rap on about ole Blue or my F250. I think that would flow. Don’t you?

This does bring up the q. of what rap you've listened to. Same for classical.

Like every African-American musical form that preceded it, especially Gospel, rap/hip hop can make lyrics about anything flow. As can so-called white Gospel and Latin rap/trap.

I think you should tell him about your song idea.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

This does bring up the q. of what rap you've listened to. Same for classical.

Like every African-American musical form that preceded it, especially Gospel, rap/hip hop can make lyrics about anything flow. As can so-called white Gospel and Latin rap/trap.

I think you should tell him about your song idea.

I will sell millions I tell ya. I could be a co-writer and get me some of that mailbox money when the royalty checks start rolling in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:23 am 
Board Emeritus

I will sell millions I tell ya. I could be a co-writer and get me some of that mailbox money when the royalty checks start rolling in.

Have you read through this entire thread, including ProfX's post on Lil Nas X? It's on the first page.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:59 am 
Board Emeritus

That last comment really hits me where I live.

That's cool. I wish I could claim I came up with it. I didn't.

It comes from a Rascal Flatts song, "Backwards". Funny thing is I'd heard this as a joke, from people, until I heard the song. Now I'm not sure if the song is based on the joke, or vice versa.

Anyway, I won't repost the music video, but here's the song. It's about what happens if you play country songs backwards.

"Backwards"
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rascalf ... wards.html

Here's the chorus verse.

You get your house back
You get your dog back
You get your best friend Jack back
You get your truck back
You get your hair back
Ya get your first and second wives back
Your front porch swing
Your pretty little thing
Your bling bling bling and a diamond ring
You get your farm and the barn and the boat and the Harley
First night in jail with Charlie
It sounds a little crazy, a little scattered and absurd
But that's what you get when you play a country song backwards

Yeah, I figure Rascal Flatts knows about this stuff better than me.

I have driven trucks. I've never owned one.

I have had dogs. Not now. My brother has a black lab.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:09 am 
Board Emeritus

Have you read through this entire thread, including ProfX's post on Lil Nas X? It's on the first page.

Anyway, "Old Town Road" is about him riding on his tractor.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:11 am 
Board Emeritus

The Band
Bob Dylan
The Byrds
CSNY
The Grateful Dead
Eagles (Ol' 55+)
The Flying Burrito Brothers
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Allman Brothers Band
The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Doobie Brothers
Poco
Linda Ronstadt
James Taylor
Tom Petty (Maybe the best version of "Six Days On The Road" ever recorded)
Sheryl Crow
Lucinda Williams
Drive-By Truckers
Randy Newman (Rednecks and Sail Away+)
The Rolling Stones (High and Dry, Sweet Virginia+)
New Riders of the Purple Sage
Emmylou
Georgia Satellites
I could go on for days...

I heard Dire Straits in Safeway last night

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:15 am 
Board Emeritus

Not exactly hiphop per se, but a very fun though totally Columbused take. Malcolm McLaren and Trevor Horn were really influential on all 1980s pop. So it doesn't surprise me they'd do a country rap. This song was a MASSIVE hit.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:21 am 
Board Emeritus

So ... this question flew into the ether, but as this thread is back again.

Is it OK these Lynyrd Skynyrd guys sang in front of a Confederate flag?

The last band member has regrets.

Racists Ruined the Confederate Flag for Lynyrd Skynyrd
To the last original member of Lynyrd Skynyrd, abandoning the Confederate flag signified the band cutting its ties to racism, the Ku Klux Klan and skinheads. To some of the band's fans, it meant cutting ties to Lynyrd Skynyrd.
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... rd/323381/

To the last original member of Lynyrd Skynyrd, abandoning the Confederate flag signified the band cutting its ties to racism, the Ku Klux Klan and skinheads. To some of the band's fans, it meant cutting ties to Lynyrd Skynyrd. "Well they just turned their backs on their core group of fans, that will really help sell out show," reads a comment from one-former Lynyrd Skynyrd fan in a report from The Wall Street Journal. "Good luck with your next release 'Sweet home Massachusetts.' I am sure it will climb the charts with a bullet in Yankee-land," reads another in a Los Angeles Times report from August Brown, who also found this gem: "This isn't the real Lynyrd Skynyrd anyway. They should have taken a name like 'Obama's Politically Correct Sell Your Soul Make Believe Impostors' or something."

The reason reporters are scouring online forums, fanpage comments, and Twitter is because the last surviving original member of the hard-to-spell band which brought you Southern anthems "Free Bird" and "Sweet Home Alabama", Gary Rossington, has made a pledge to stop associating the band (himself) with the Confederate flag. It's a big move since part of the reason the Confederate flag has remained popular (at least in rock n roll) was because Lynyrd Skynyrd's use of the flag in concerts and memorabilia (back when Rossington didn't think it was associated with the KKK and raging racists). "Through the years, people like the KKK and skinheads kinda kidnapped the Dixie or Southern flag from its tradition and the heritage of the soldiers, that's what it was about," Rossington told CNN earlier this month. "We didn't want that to go to our fans or show the image like we agreed with any of the race stuff or any of the bad things." Lynyrd Skynyrd giving up the Confederate flag, Neil Young being sober--there's totally a concert joke in here somewhere.

[snip][end]

Well.... Rossington, I think you were suffering from a bit of tunnel vision when your band was hanging that flag in the 70s, but anyway I find this really amusing. Your fanbase doesn't like you giving up the Confederate flag for your shows.

Some folks hate Bernie for the BernieBros. :D

I get a vestigial annoyance in the pit of my stomach for country because of "country fans" like these. :mrgreen:
Yes, I judge a genre on the creeps drawn to it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:25 am 
Board Emeritus

So ... this question flew into the ether, but as this thread is back again.

Is it OK these Lynyrd Skynyrd guys sang in front of a Confederate flag?

The last band member has regrets.

Racists Ruined the Confederate Flag for Lynyrd Skynyrd
To the last original member of Lynyrd Skynyrd, abandoning the Confederate flag signified the band cutting its ties to racism, the Ku Klux Klan and skinheads. To some of the band's fans, it meant cutting ties to Lynyrd Skynyrd.
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... rd/323381/

To the last original member of Lynyrd Skynyrd, abandoning the Confederate flag signified the band cutting its ties to racism, the Ku Klux Klan and skinheads. To some of the band's fans, it meant cutting ties to Lynyrd Skynyrd. "Well they just turned their backs on their core group of fans, that will really help sell out show," reads a comment from one-former Lynyrd Skynyrd fan in a report from The Wall Street Journal. "Good luck with your next release 'Sweet home Massachusetts.' I am sure it will climb the charts with a bullet in Yankee-land," reads another in a Los Angeles Times report from August Brown, who also found this gem: "This isn't the real Lynyrd Skynyrd anyway. They should have taken a name like 'Obama's Politically Correct Sell Your Soul Make Believe Impostors' or something."

The reason reporters are scouring online forums, fanpage comments, and Twitter is because the last surviving original member of the hard-to-spell band which brought you Southern anthems "Free Bird" and "Sweet Home Alabama", Gary Rossington, has made a pledge to stop associating the band (himself) with the Confederate flag. It's a big move since part of the reason the Confederate flag has remained popular (at least in rock n roll) was because Lynyrd Skynyrd's use of the flag in concerts and memorabilia (back when Rossington didn't think it was associated with the KKK and raging racists). "Through the years, people like the KKK and skinheads kinda kidnapped the Dixie or Southern flag from its tradition and the heritage of the soldiers, that's what it was about," Rossington told CNN earlier this month. "We didn't want that to go to our fans or show the image like we agreed with any of the race stuff or any of the bad things." Lynyrd Skynyrd giving up the Confederate flag, Neil Young being sober--there's totally a concert joke in here somewhere.

[snip][end]

Well.... Rossington, I think you were suffering from a bit of tunnel vision when your band was hanging that flag in the 70s, but anyway I find this really amusing. Your fanbase doesn't like you giving up the Confederate flag for your shows.

Some folks hate Bernie for the BernieBros. :D

I get a vestigial annoyance in the pit of my stomach for country because of "country fans" like these. :mrgreen:
Yes, I judge a genre on the creeps drawn to it.

Yeah I know what you mean.

I like a lot of the music but hell if I'm going to any concerts. Much like a lot of forms of punk, there is a very good chance it's not physically safe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:41 am 
Board Emeritus

That first Traveling Wilburys album stopped me in my tracks. Still does.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:59 am 
Board Emeritus

Outside of episode one, I have only watched this in chunks during the airings on PBS . But I did watch the last half of the final episode and the damn thing actually had me in tears. Why was this story of the end of Johnny Cash's life and the relationship with his daughter Roseanne so moving? Beats me...I was never much of a Johnny Cash fan. Ken Burns just knows how to do this.

The last time this happened to me watching a Ken Burns piece was at the end of episode 8 of The Vietnam War. That episode ended with Burns' review of the Kent State killings. And when the episode credits started to roll and I heard the first few bars of "Ohio" I just broke down. The son of a bitch knew that would happen to a whole bunch of us and he did it anyway. But it was so good.

BUT YOU'RE NOT RACIST....EXCEPT WHEN YOU ARE.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:41 am 
Board Emeritus

That first Traveling Wilburys album stopped me in my tracks. Still does.

[BBvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cko3dBWiyus[/BBvideo

I have that album on CD, back from when I was still collecting CDs. Now all the tracks I like most are in iTunes.

I love it. I think it's great. Of course, I consider it "rock music" and that's how iTunes identifies the songs. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have that album on CD, back from when I was still collecting CDs. Now all the tracks I like most are in iTunes.

I love it. I think it's great. Of course, I consider it "rock music" and that's how iTunes identifies the songs. :D

Yeah I still get CDs mainly because I need the liner notes. But yeah it's classified as rock.

Roy Orbison was busy in 1988 :)

He's so beautiful :hnk: I love all those Sun Records guys, especially him and Carl Perkins.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Bonnie Raitt is one of the USA's most versatile artists, ever imo. Dropped out of school to go study blues with Sippie Wallace.

I see from her wiki she's been honored as Americana Lifetime Achievement Award for Performance. Makes sense.

She's also a SJW or whatever, I guess.

She is perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:52 am 
Policy Wonk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:26 pm 
Policy Wonk

Love Bonnie Raitt! I saw her in concert back in the 70s. Once someone told her that her voice wasn't "bluesy" enough, and she said, "well we can't all be Jo Ann Kelly!"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

I haven't read this yet because I haven't watched the doc, yet. But linking it here in case someone else would like to.

The radical inclusiveness of Rhiannon Giddens - LA Times

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:59 am 
Board Emeritus

For whatever it's worth hereabouts, Bonnie Raitt is an Achievement honoree of the Americana Music Association. Welcomed onto the fold. "Thank God for the Americana Music chart." Her set last month at the Outlaw Music Festival in Virginia was pretty spectacular. It apparently included a duet with one of my favorite performers...John Prine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:49 am 
Policy Wonk

For whatever it's worth hereabouts, Bonnie Raitt is an Achievement honoree of the Americana Music Association. Welcomed onto the fold. "Thank God for the Americana Music chart." Her set last month at the Outlaw Music Festival in Virginia was pretty spectacular. It apparently included a duet with one of my favorite performers...John Prine.

Prine! i love Prine....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:23 am 
Board Emeritus

Prine! i love Prine....

Great song, thanks.

There's a hole in daddy's arm where the money goes

And...

But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore
They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war
Now Jesus don't like killin', no matter what the reason's for
And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore

John Prine has been telling these motherfuckers what to do with it for a half century.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:06 pm 
Policy Wonk

Great song, thanks.

There's a hole in daddy's arm where the money goes

And...

But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore
They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war
Now Jesus don't like killin', no matter what the reason's for
And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore

John Prine has been telling these motherfuckers what to do with it for a half century.

Sam Stone :)

With a purple heart and a monkey on his back.
Climbing walls while sitting in a chair.
Sweet songs never last too long on broken radios.

Poetry for the heart.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, caught that viewtopic.php?p=459263#p459263

I love John!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6