RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Purdue student says CVS wouldn't accept his Puerto Rico ID to buy cold medicine - Hill

Quote:
A Purdue University student said he was unable to purchase cold medicine from a CVS store in Indiana because a member of the staff wouldn’t accept his Puerto Rican identification and U.S. passport as valid identification.

Jose Guzman Payano told a local ABC affiliate in an interview this week that he had gone to the local CVS store to buy “normal over-the-counter medicine” due to a sore throat.

Once he was there, he told the station that he scanned all his items at the local store, and “then I scanned my Mucinex bottle.”

After scanning the bottle, Payano said he was asked to provide identification. So he showed a store clerk his Puerto Rico I.D.

"She looks at it and then she faces and looks at me again and asks for a U.S.-issued license," Payano said.

So, Payano said he showed the clerk his U.S. passport, another form of identification he said she would not accept.

Shortly after, Payano told the station he left “the CVS store with tears in my eyes” and filed a complaint with the store.

His story gained widespread attention almost immediately after his mother posted about her son’s experience on Facebook late last month.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Puerto Rico IS a US issued license. Time for an employees' meeting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:29 pm 
Political Junkie

Last I heard, Puerto Rican's were U.S. Citizens, but then again I live California and we are all suspect.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Last I heard, Puerto Rican's were U.S. Citizens, but then again I live California and we are all suspect.

Yes I think that's the point. They do this to one citizen they'll do it to every citizen and it's even worse when it comes to ICE/CBP.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Puerto Rico IS a US issued license. Time for an employees' meeting.

Yeah, it sounds like the employee doesn't know what IDs are acceptable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:52 am 
Policy Wonk

Reminds me of the time a clerk tried to refuse my Susan B. Anthony dollars. lol Clerks aren't always well-educated or up on current events.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:03 am 
Board Emeritus

Reminds me of the time a clerk tried to refuse my Susan B. Anthony dollars. lol Clerks aren't always well-educated or up on current events.

Try buying something with a $2 bill and watch the expression on their face. Kind of like the expression on the face of a teenager trying to figure out how to operate a rotary dial phone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:43 am 
Board Emeritus

OK, I've waited, so I guess I have to ask the question.

Are we saying this is a poorly trained employee issue or is it a racial discrimination issue? If the latter, is it so all across the fruited plain, or just here on RFL?

I don't know what the penalties are for a retail sale of an OTC medication containing pseudoephedrine without an acceptable photo ID, but I'm pretty sure no drug chains or retail stores with a pharmacy want to be sighted for an illegal sale. I assume employees are warned that there are serious penalties for selling a pseudoephedrine product to a customer without proper ID...including termination.

In a related story, here in the Chicago area at a Naperville Buffalo Wild Wings (ACK!) location, two store employees were terminated for instructing a bi-racial family celebrating a birthday to change tables after a white family of "regular customers" complained that they were seated "too close." Clearly racism as another customer had the whole incident recorded on a smartphone. Buffalo Wild Wings terminated a "service manager" and "shift manager" as soon as they were made aware of the incident and determined which of their employees were responsible.
ABC News - Victims of alleged racist incident at Naperville Buffalo Wild Wings speak out

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Are we saying this is a poorly trained employee issue or is it a racial discrimination issue? If the latter, is it so all across the fruited plain, or just here on RFL?

“Just here at RFL”? It’s not just “racial.” It’s anti-perceived immigrant as well.

Quote:
I don't know what the penalties are for a retail sale of an OTC medication containing pseudoephedrine without an acceptable photo ID, but I'm pretty sure no drug chains or retail stores with a pharmacy want to be sighted for an illegal sale. I assume employees are warned that there are serious penalties for selling a pseudoephedrine product to a customer without proper ID...including termination.

Two valid forms of ID, one being a US passport, were rejected for a bottle of Mucinex. He was asked about his immigration status over some Mucinex.

Quote:
In a related story, here in the Chicago area at a Naperville Buffalo Wild Wings (ACK!) location, two store employees were terminated for instructing a bi-racial family celebrating a birthday to change tables after a white family of "regular customers" complained that they were seated "too close." Clearly racism as another customer had the whole incident recorded on a smartphone. Buffalo Wild Wings terminated a "service manager" and "shift manager" as soon as they were made aware of the incident and determined which of their employees were responsible.
ABC News - Victims of alleged racist incident at Naperville Buffalo Wild Wings speak out

viewtopic.php?p=462189#p462189

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

So? If I weren't so over the "stop calling the cops" thread, I might have seen it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:39 pm 
Political Junkie

WTF....Over? This is not about a "Poorly Trained" Employee. This is about blatant racism.

So the fuck what if a "Regular" Customer did not want to sit next to an African-American Dinner Party. That "Regular" Customer has two choices, change where they are sitting or leave. Making African-American Party leave was wrong and shows deep seeded hate for Minorities.

There is no excuse for making one group of individuals move in order to please just one racist individual. The racist can move or leave.

Good on firing the Managers. Giving into a customer's racism was wrong. They deserved fired. The family that was forced to leave should receive a free complimentary meal. The asshat racist got banned, which is right thing to do.

All of this because a sorry excuse for giving into racism could have been avoided if racist had been told he would have to move or leave....but of course that would have been way to simple.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

So? If I weren't so over the "stop calling the cops" thread, I might have seen it.

viewtopic.php?p=462297#p462297

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't think the incident of the student buying the Mucinex is because of racism. From the link in the OP, the issue was ID. In the video in the link the guy never brought up his race or said the employee made any derogatory comments about his race. Nor is there any indication of the race of the employee. It was all centered on the ID and the fact the employee didn't know a Puerto Rico driver's license and passport are valid IDs. CVS, in their statement, said they are retraining the employee on what is acceptable ID.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:34 pm 
Policy Wonk

And really, is there some law against selling "over the counter" drugs to someone from a foreign country? What if the customer in question was British, and supplied a passport, and perhaps ID from their own country?

Doctor: "Sorry, Ma'am, but I can't medicate you for you're ebola infection, you're not a US citizen!"

Sounds like the clerk was stupid, uninformed AND racist.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

WTF....Over? This is not about a "Poorly Trained" Employee. This is about blatant racism.

You wanting it to be about blatant racism does not make it so.

Board Emeritus

Board Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:04 pm 
Policy Wonk

I detect an echo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

I detect an echo

Snappy retort, Roy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Two valid forms of ID, one being a US passport, were rejected for a bottle of Mucinex. He was asked about his immigration status over some Mucinex.

Mucinex contains pseudoephedrine. Photo ID is required for the purchase of any OTC med containing pseudoephedrine. Maybe the employee at the checkout was not trained regarding passport ID. Or the other "valid" form of ID. Was this worker trained as to which specific ID is acceptable and which is not? Was this employee trained that Puerto Rico is an unincorporated US territory, and that a DL from a US territory is acceptable. Who can say?

But what is easy to say is "it's blatant racism." And if it isn't said, it's easily implied. We don't ever want to say anything we might possibly be held to...now do we carmen?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Mucinex contains pseudoephedrine. Photo ID is required for the purchase of any OTC med containing pseudoephedrine. Maybe the employee at the checkout was not trained regarding passport ID. Or the other "valid" form of ID. Was this worker trained as to which specific ID is acceptable and which is not? Was this employee trained that Puerto Rico is an unincorporated US territory, and that a DL from a US territory is acceptable. Who can say?

:lol: according to the store (their supposed policy has changed since the CVS corporation apologized for this incident). Since when is a US passport not a valid form of ID in the US?

Quote:
But what is easy to say is "it's blatant racism." And if it isn't said, it's easily implied. We don't ever want to say anything we might possibly be held to...now do we carmen?

:lol: "we"

I didn't say "it's blatant racism." Marindem did, and was talking about the incident you brought up. So just relax, guy who claims to be emigrating because this country was founded on white male racism. :problem: :lol:

Not only that, I said it's "racial" (your term) AND anti-perceived immigrant. Go stuff words into your own mouth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't think the incident of the student buying the Mucinex is because of racism. From the link in the OP, the issue was ID. In the video in the link the guy never brought up his race or said the employee made any derogatory comments about his race. Nor is there any indication of the race of the employee. It was all centered on the ID and the fact the employee didn't know a Puerto Rico driver's license and passport are valid IDs. CVS, in their statement, said they are retraining the employee on what is acceptable ID.

The person could be a xenophobe or hold anti-immigrant views regardless of their "race". And if they're not, they sure acted like one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

I detect an echo

Ike Bana is responding to the wrong thing, anyway.

Marindem was in agreement with him that the Naperville restaurant incident was in MD's words "blatant racism." Ike Bana is just searching for any old disagreement to be fashionably contrary to imagined internet opponents. :lol: :problem:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

And really, is there some law against selling "over the counter" drugs to someone from a foreign country? What if the customer in question was British, and supplied a passport, and perhaps ID from their own country?

Doctor: "Sorry, Ma'am, but I can't medicate you for you're ebola infection, you're not a US citizen!"

Sounds like the clerk was stupid, uninformed AND racist.

No way this would have happened with somebody not perceived as an immigrant, since immigration status came up in the incident.

No way, either, somebody perceived as white or African American with a US passport would have been refused the medication, either. Perceived as Native, Asian....it's very possible. Perceived as Middle Eastern, Latino, Afrolatino...better carry 3 forms of valid ID, your birth certificate, a utility bill sent to your current address and that address better match all 3 forms of valid ID... ...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

The person could be a xenophobe or hold anti-immigrant views regardless of their "race". And if they're not, they sure acted like one.

From your link in the opening post there is nothing to attribute these views to the employee. The only information we know about the employee is the employee is a female. We don’t know her ethnicity, her age, her political views, etc... Unless you have some information you are withholding from us then we can only go by what is in the link and that information doesn’t support your opinion.