Get In

What's up today?

Moderators: plunderer, Bernie the union guy

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Get In

Post by Sam Lefthand »

This is Joe Biden's thread, get in!

I've come across this meme among his fandom who post on his Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/JoeBiden" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is where it comes from, but I guess everyone who has HBO already knows all about that:

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da5tjfpKyac[/BBvideo]

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Re: Get In

Post by Sam Lefthand »

GET IN

The New York Times, upshot, said this tonight:

"30 The delegate margin Mr. Biden needs to take the delegate lead over Bernie Sanders."

"86,049 The margin of victory in the statewide popular vote that Mr. Biden would need to take the lead in the cumulative popular vote over Mr. Sanders."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... ecast.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Biden is projected by the same New York Times to receive 38 delegates tonight. And that margin of victory, 86,049 votes appears to have been achieved with 57% of the count completed.

He's now the front runner in the race going both ways, the Democratic party counts deligates way, and the Sanders special, counts raw votes way.

And he has the Nas Car too. Real Nas.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

With 100% of precincts reporting, AP sez of SC primary:

Joe Biden 48.4% of the vote -- 33 delegates awarded
Bernie Sanders 19.9% of the vote -- 11 delegates awarded

Nobody else crossed the threshold for delegates.

Current delegate totals:

Sanders 56
Biden 48
-- Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.
Malaclypse the Younger

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

ProfessorX » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:00 am wrote:With 100% of precincts reporting, AP sez of SC primary:

Joe Biden 48.4% of the vote -- 33 delegates awarded
Bernie Sanders 19.9% of the vote -- 11 delegates awarded

Nobody else crossed the threshold for delegates.

Current delegate totals:

Sanders 56
Biden 48
Your numbers are incomplete, there are 54 delegates. Last I saw at the NYTimes with 99.something reporting, they said Biden got 39 delegates, Sanders 14, Steyer 1.

Sanders really is behind in the overall delegate count, behind in every metric, even his favorite one that only he uses to Trumpet that he won in Iowa when he actually lost to Buttigieg.

I read this this morning: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... r-sanders/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would go with a combination of Hypothesis 4 and 5

"Hypothesis No. 4: Voters are behaving tactically. Biden was the only real alternative to Sanders in South Carolina, and he may be the only real alternative going forward." Hypothesis No. 5: There has already been a national surge toward Biden that is not fully reflected in the polls.

The way I would put it, the party voters became galvanized over the last week, now the result of that galvanization effect is evident.

ted
Political Junkie

Post by ted »

I think Joe Biden would be President Biden if he had entered the 2016 race.

I don't think he will defeat President Trump in the 2020 election unless we experience a huge shift in the status quo before election day.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

ted » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:40 am wrote:I think Joe Biden would be President Biden if he had entered the 2016 race.

I don't think he will defeat President Trump in the 2020 election unless we experience a huge shift in the status quo before election day.
Or a major decline in the stock market. :|

marindem01
Policy Wonk
Location: 3.5 Miles From The North Tower of The Golden Gate Bridge

Post by marindem01 »

ted » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:40 am wrote:I think Joe Biden would be President Biden if he had entered the 2016 race.

For once I agree with you Ted. Biden would have won in 2016 (Even with HRC as a Primary Challenger). But now, I see him as factory pol who running in his last hurrah.

Yes, he won South Carolina, but looking to 1992, Bill Clinton lost how many primaries before he secured the Nomination. Winning on primary does not mean you win the Nomination.

Let's wait until after Super Tuesday before start who is and who is not the Nominee.
"The Clouded Mind See's Nothing", The Shadow.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

marindem01 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:16 am wrote:
For once I agree with you Ted. Biden would have won in 2016 (Even with HRC as a Primary Challenger). But now, I see him as factory pol who running in his last hurrah.

Yes, he won South Carolina, but looking to 1992, Bill Clinton lost how many primaries before he secured the Nomination. Winning on primary does not mean you win the Nomination.

Let's wait until after Super Tuesday before start who is and who is not the Nominee.
Marindem, I think I recall you stating you voted for Warren. My wife and daughter are voting for her as well, and I'm not arguing with that. I might even vote for her as a way of strategically voting for Biden.

It's simple, in my district the local outlook is for Sanders to get three and Biden to get one delegate. Biden will get 15% and has that one delegate wrapped up. But he's not in line for a second of that four deligates unless he matches Sanders vote share. However Warren, being in his lane, has almost enough votes to also qualify for a single delegate. If I vote for her my vote might be enough to put her over the top and in line to get that delegate. That puts that delegate out of play. As I figure it my vote would have a three times amplified effect if I vote for Warren, doing it for Biden.

The California primary actually mostly happened starting from the date the ballots arrived. And it's likely the final results will not be known for a month. Early voting is not so much of a factor in the other states voting on Tuesday. But for California the results will be a blast from the past being reported in dribbles and daubs very late. The Biden shift will be in the late votes, so as that painstaking month long count finalizing the results drip, drip, drip into the conciseness of other state voters Biden will appear as an underdog slowly advancing as those last votes are counted.

So yeah I might vote for Warren, or Biden, I haven't seen exit polls although I'm not sure I need to see them after last night. Either way I'm voting for Biden.

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Post by ZoWie »

California changed everything at once. I'm predicting a massive clusterfrack and hoping I'm wrong. Interesting how they could figure out a way to make the ultra-slow count even slower.

The voting system in LA County was broken, and we'll see if this improves anything. Mail and drop-off voting started several weeks ago, and people can check online to see whether their ballot was accepted and counted. If not, presumably they can make arrangements. This is much better for preventing voter suppression, which always "just seemed" to happen in the neighborhoods of color.

In-person voting has a lot of new places and times for voting. They have mobiles that can come out to parks, etc for several days. We'll see if this helps or just makes people more confused.
Last edited by ZoWie on Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:49 am wrote:California changed everything at once. I'm predicting a massive clusterfrack and hoping I'm wrong. Interesting how they could figure out a way to make the ultra-slow count even slower.

The voting system in LA County was broken, and we'll see if this improves anything. Mail voting started several weeks ago, and people can check online to see whether their ballot was accepted and counted. If not, presumably they can make arrangements. This is much better for preventing voter suppression, which always "just seemed" to happen in the neighborhoods of color.

In-person voting has a lot of new places and times for voting. They have mobiles that can come out to parks, etc for several days. We'll see if this helps or just makes people more confused.
When rump calls of the election due to the virus, I wonder what legal process will follow.

All he has to do is declare a national emergency, have the CDC come out and say it is not safe to go to the polls, etc.
If you are a FLYNN defender you are a TRAITOR and dont talk to me, I am a patriot...

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

Libertas » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:55 am wrote:
When rump calls of the election due to the virus, I wonder what legal process will follow.

All he has to do is declare a national emergency, have the CDC come out and say it is not safe to go to the polls, etc.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

ZoWie » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:49 am wrote:California changed everything at once. I'm predicting a massive clusterfrack and hoping I'm wrong. Interesting how they could figure out a way to make the ultra-slow count even slower.

The voting system in LA County was broken, and we'll see if this improves anything. Mail voting started several weeks ago, and people can check online to see whether their ballot was accepted and counted. If not, presumably they can make arrangements. This is much better for preventing voter suppression, which always "just seemed" to happen in the neighborhoods of color.

Zowie, I went to the Democratic party club debate watching party. The local leaders of the party and about an equal number of voter who had been invited. Our invitation was through my wife through personal contacts she has in Sacramento. We were way too liberal, I got the feeling the only way we'll be invited to an at home inner party event again will be in the event of a warm person shortage.

In being there i saw a galvanizing event happening before my eyes. Those old codgers had already voted, my wife and I were the only ones who had held on to our ballots. I got the sense they deeply regretted how they had voted, faced like they were with the sudden prospect of Sanders. I think they mostly voted for Bloomberg and Steyer, did not vote for Biden or Buttigieg. They're the power, but not the face of the local party.

The rank and file of the local liberals tend to like dreamcatchers, crystals, feathers and beads. But they don't get out and go to meetings. So... .

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Post by ZoWie »

Ain't that always the way? For pretty fundamental social reasons, the Democratic Party is probably in general somewhat to the left of its leadership.

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

ted » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:40 am wrote:I think Joe Biden would be President Biden if he had entered the 2016 race.
I disagree. Clinton was too strong for even Biden, as a sitting Vice-President to win the nomination. Not many sitting VPs run and become their party's nominee.
In 2018, there was a Blue Wave that gave us control of the House. It appears there is a bigger Blue Wave coming this year. Biden can defeat Trump and I think his VP pick will be crucial in getting a huge turnout which is why I think Elizabeth Warren or Kamala Harris would be ideal choices. Not because they're women, which doesn't hurt, but because they both super make and capable of being president.
When you vote Left you vote right.

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

The voting system in LA County was broken, and we'll see if this improves anything. Mail and drop-off voting started several weeks ago, and people can check online to see whether their ballot was accepted and counted. If not, presumably they can make arrangements. This is much better for preventing voter suppression, which always "just seemed" to happen in the neighborhoods of color.

Listening to the news, it seems mail ballot have been coming is at a slower pace than normal meaning mail ballot voters haven't made up their minds yet. This could favor Biden.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

Gonna put this in this thread.

Mayor Pete just appeared with Biden in Dallas, and made a formal announcement of endorsement.

There is one new piece of knowledge, though it's a blast from the further past of the primary. Beto O'Rourke is also endorsing Biden.

MSNBC is announcing Klobuchar and O'Rourke will next appear at another rally in Dallas, and together also endorse, formally, Biden.

Bernie's not wrong that this looks like what we could call the "anti Bernie establishment" converging behind Biden to stop him. Particularly, obviously, getting all these folks to drop out and endorse right before Super Tuesday rather than just after, ... seems calculated, and who knows, some offers about offices or Cabinet posts were probably made.

I guess I don't have the exact same negative view of them doing this ... mind.
-- Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.
Malaclypse the Younger

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

ProfessorX » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:13 pm wrote:Gonna put this in this thread.

Mayor Pete just appeared with Biden in Dallas, and made a formal announcement of endorsement.

There is one new piece of knowledge, though it's a blast from the further past of the primary. Beto O'Rourke is also endorsing Biden.

MSNBC is announcing Klobuchar and O'Rourke will next appear at another rally in Dallas, and together also endorse, formally, Biden.

Bernie's not wrong that this looks like what we could call the "anti Bernie establishment" converging behind Biden to stop him. Particularly, obviously, getting all these folks to drop out and endorse right before Super Tuesday rather than just after, ... seems calculated, and who knows, some offers about offices or Cabinet posts were probably made.

I doubt Buttigiege or Klobuchar dropped out because Biden offered them something. Their poor showing in South Carolina showed they don't have the support from the black community and without that support they wouldn't be competitive elsewhere. Also, I'd be looking more at how much money they have raised, how much they have on-hand, and how much they would have to raise to continue and the money probably wasn't there to continue.

Both Buttigiege and Klobuchar are moderates so I can't see either of them going to Sanders or Warren. Neither of them have much respect for Bloomberg trying to buy the nomination so the logical choice is to support Biden.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

ProfessorX » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:13 pm wrote:Gonna put this in this thread.

I don't care. :|

So I think that would equate on your scale as a non negative view whilst ignoring completely the scuttlebutt and varied miscellaneous moans about it.

I do hope Harris gets selected for VP.

:D

adam32492
Policy Wonk

Post by adam32492 »

I would hope Joe if he got the nomination would get together with Bernie to
choose a VP nominee acceptable to his supporters. It won't be Bernie for it
would be nuts to name another 78 year old as his running mate.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

adam32492 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:03 pm wrote:I would hope Joe if he got the nomination would get together with Bernie to
choose a VP nominee acceptable to his supporters. It won't be Bernie for it
would be nuts to name another 78 year old as his running mate.
Well,,, surly they'd think Kammla Harris would be just dandy. She's not 78. :D

adam32492
Policy Wonk

Post by adam32492 »

It would almost certain be a woman for VP for I've always felt that would be the
best way for a woman to win the Presidency which is serve first as VP.

Kamala is the right age (55) for the job but she might be best suited for attorney
general. I really think if Joe Biden wins the election in November, whoever is the
VP nominee is going to be President in 2024. Likely the choice would be from the
Sanders wing of the party.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

adam32492 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:31 pm wrote:It would almost certain be a woman for VP for I've always felt that would be the
best way for a woman to win the Presidency which is serve first as VP.

Kamala is the right age (55) for the job but she might be best suited for attorney
general. I really think if Joe Biden wins the election in November, whoever is the
VP nominee is going to be President in 2024. Likely the choice would be from the
Sanders wing of the party.
Adam, there isn't a Sanders wing of the party.

:|

Biden said his VP, "will need to be someone ready to take over at a moments notice." He said that because hes an old guy.

There's Sanders and his voter supporters that's all, that doesn't make a wing. There are no supporting players there to ascend, of the few who have endorsed I don't think any have more than 4 years as a house representative. Only two Senators have has endorsed him and they're both about equal age to him, Mike Grave is even older at 85, and Patrick Leahy is 79.

Sanders is a loner personality guy, not a party guy, to have a wing one has to be a party person.

:|

bradman
Policy Wonk

Post by bradman »

Voting today. Bringing Mom and Commie Boy(formally known as commie Girl) with me. It'll be two for Biden and one for Sanders.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

bradman » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:42 am wrote:Voting today. Bringing Mom and Commie Boy(formally known as commie Girl) with me. It'll be two for Biden and one for Sanders.
The ballot box is next to the Library. I have to drive the car there anyway because Mom has books on order, they've been calling and reminding her.

So In a sense I'm feeling it's like election day, just like it used to be, showing up in person at the main election office. Two votes walking into the main elections office for Biden. Mom has her's filled in. I will have to fill mine in on their counter.

Or the picnic table outside, where the sky is blue, the sun is sunny, and birds are chirping. before I go I should fill a pocket with some oats for the birds... .

:D