Daily Observations in the Age of the Coronavirus

What's up today?

Moderators: plunderer, Bernie the union guy

Number6
Board Emeritus

Daily Observations in the Age of the Coronavirus

Post by Number6 »

I went to the Navy commissary today. Most of the shelves with canned goods were empty. No toilet paper, hand sanitizer, or bleach but that's okay because I didn't need them. I did get a couple of items like sirloin steaks, lettuce, green peppers, cucumbers, and a gallon of milk. The commissary had two lines; one for the self-checkout lanes (four registers) and one for the five cashier lanes. Both lanes backed up down the front of the checkout lanes and halve-way to the back for building. It took me about 25 minutes to make it through the self-checkout lane.

I stopped by the medical clinic to pickup my call-in prescription refill and at the entrance they had to stations. The first was two sailors asking what I was there for. I told them and they sent m to the next station where they asked me if I had been o was around anyone who had been out of the county in the past 14 days, do I have a fever, sore throat, etc.. Answering no, I was allowed in after I used some hand sanitizer. I checked in at the pharmacy's kiosk and got my ticket. After 10 minutes, they called my number and I was able to pickup my refill.

I went to Costco to get a big can of peanuts and a big jar of cashews as snacks during this shelter-in-place period. There was a Costco Employee announcing with a bullhorn the entrance to the store is on the left-side of the building and that only 50 people were allowed into the building at a time. I looked at the line and decided it wasn't worth waiting a half hour to enter the store and left.

I've been in contact with the base bowling center and they awaiting a decision by MWR on what they should do. Since I'm a league secretary I need to know to contact our league members as to whether we'll be bowling this week or not. I anticipate we'll not be bowling and we'll postpone league play for a month. This means I have to call about 30 bowlers and let them know.

Our city library's website says they're closed until April 4th so I won't be getting any books from them for awhile. No problem, I checked out a book from them yesterday, before they decided to close, so that will hold me for a couple of days. Fortunately, I have a number of books at home I can re-read. I think I'll read the unabridged paperback version of Les Miserables (1463 pages) again.

I'm now set to set to shelter-in-place for a couple of weeks.

Oh, forgot to add, I had a new bridge last week and they adjusted my mouth guard to fit the new bridge so I called my dentist this afternoon because she wanted to know how my mouth guard was doing (no problems). I got a recorded message saying because of the Coronavirus they are closed for two weeks. Oh well, at least I got my bridge before they closed.
When you vote Left you vote right.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Re: Daily Observations in the Age of the Coronavirus

Post by Libertas »

Holding primary today was a TERRIBLE mistake...Joe was gonna win, Bernie should have bowed out, not thousands more will be infected and maybe we wont have polls later.
If you are a FLYNN defender you are a TRAITOR and dont talk to me, I am a patriot...

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Post by ZoWie »

L.A. is not full shelter-in-place yet, but it's only a matter of time. Being the world's most ageist county, it has told everyone over 65 to disappear, stay home, and stop getting infected and being a bother to normal people. Meanwhile, the last death was a 22-year-old.

People comment on the traffic. There is none. That is jarring. Nice, but jarring. It's good for taking out the speedy little car, getting electrons into the battery, and blowing the shit off the plugs at regular intervals. Otherwise, well, it's SoCal dystopia.

Don't even THINK of shopping for necessities. It's gone from FUBAR to full Soviet.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

I went out to get supplies two days ago. The power went out the night before, as I was going down the drive I saw the reason for that, two of my trees has fallen down in heavy late snow.

It was OK in town. The store still had stuff and there were few people out. I didn't buy much refrigerated food because I had no idea how long the power would be out.

It just came back on after being out for two days. Some produce and a half gallon of milk was all that went bad. But now I need to go out again for some more refrigerated food.

I took my mom to the clinic for a lab she needed done. They had the road blocked and when we arrived we were told we had to go to a stay in the car screening. After they took my mom's temperature she was given a badge which would allow her to enter the lab building. The in and the out was very quick, like half the normal time.

From this I have gathered that normally are quite inefficient.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

We go into mandatory quarantine tonight so I went out today to two Safeway's, got most of what we needed other than bread, eggs and some produce.

Had a few cans of chunky Campbells soup left, not many.

They are cutting back hours, for now instead of 24 hrs, 6am to 10pm, which is great, I thanked the people there...

And again, anyone who has money in the stock market they cant afford to lose, why do you still? I cant convince my best friends or a close relative to get out before it is too late. Depression coming like a hundred years ago, or worse.

PS the story is out, Jared told rump to embrace the situation and call himself

Trump described himself as a “wartime president" as virus cases surged and the markets fell, and he took a series of extraordinary steps to steady a battered nation, its day-to-day life fundamentally altered.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavi ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And to run on that...again, cares ZERO about you or me or his supporters ZERO...I dont want to die without seeing justice...I have to see justice, these conmen lying thieving rat fucks must see justice and I dont mean violence, I mean fucking justice
If you are a FLYNN defender you are a TRAITOR and dont talk to me, I am a patriot...

rainwater
Board Emeritus

Post by rainwater »

thru all my ranching years i lived a 'shelter in place' life anyway. it was rural, town was 20miles away.

in summer i put up everything id need on this ranch to last the winter til spring. til at least march.
thru summer id load up. id always put up 5 tons of hay despite having lots of land and pasture,
and sometimes id have it during the next summer as needed.
id get 450gals of propane in july early august when the prices were cheap.

id stock enough dog food cat food etc to last 3months. one time the elec went out in a blizzard
and the new guys on the util crew "forgot" about the 3 ranches on the hill and we went 10days
waiting for elec to come back on. after my call to them it came back pretty quickly. i didnt leave
it to the neighbors again.

id hit the commissary once a month if i could, hit petsmart once a month in the same trip and haul
home enough to last a month. my freezer was full my pantry was Full and i had 5 cords of firewood
stacked outside.

i knew sheltering in place quite well. my driveway was a mile long in partial forest which climbed
the hill. the snow could get deep. the solution to that was trimming the low branches off the pines
that sat on each side of the curving climbing driveway. when the wind blew the snow it would get
stacked in the branches and lie on the driveway, deep. once low branches were gone the wind blew
the snow to the other side of the drive, off the road. 8-)

i never cared much for humans so 'sheltering in place' was a way of life with horses and i never
minded it. i knew how to get ready for 6months of hiding. :mrgreen:

but we could get toilet paper then. im sure i can make a bidet...
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids, They speak
for all that is cruel stupid, They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of
these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it, Fuck them.
HST.

rainwater
Board Emeritus

Post by rainwater »

ohyeh...local groceries have set 7am to 8am for JUST seniors to shop.
they open for 'the others' at 8am now.

i think its the only way the old fuckers can get any TP.

merica...ran out of toilet paper in an emergency.
jesush.
got plenty of bullets tho.

merican history surely will make note of the toilet paper looting hoarding.
we take care of one another by removing ALL the TP from stores.
yah, way ta go merica. got clean assholes here.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids, They speak
for all that is cruel stupid, They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of
HST.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

old fuckers? sigh

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

This was an observation from 2007. It's remarkable how many points from then translate to now.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lJvr5UL2pQ[/BBvideo]

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

DU, this is from a trucker at DU

prepare for empty grocery stores

Truckers are now being denied access to running water, modern toilets..
I just got to my delivery in Dallas TX, it is what as know as a cross dock, transferring product from one location to the next for the same company.

I left the Chicago area location day before yesterday, with every thing normal, arriving here to find that I’m not allowed to use the facilities in the drivers lounge, but instead there is a porta-potty outside with no way to wash up afterwards.

I called my boss and let him know that if this is the new norm for all the Ferrara Candy Co locations, I’m not hauling anymore of their freight. To my bosses credit there was no pushback, and he relayed that another driver called him earlier today to tell him that at his drop he was not even allowed out of the truck, and had to check in over the phone, with paper work handed in and out through the drivers window.

I doubt if I’ll put up with much more of this bullshit.

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

Libertas » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:12 pm wrote:We go into mandatory quarantine tonight so I went out today to two Safeway's, got most of what we needed other than bread, eggs and some produce.

Had a few cans of chunky Campbells soup left, not many.

They are cutting back hours, for now instead of 24 hrs, 6am to 10pm, which is great, I thanked the people there...
I started increasing my food stock in February because I figured is there was an epidemic in the U.S. there would be a run on food. lI feel comfortable having about a six week supply of food on-hand consisting of frozen fish, steaks, and chicken as well as some frozen pot pies. I have plenty of canned vegetables, soups, rice, and stuffing as well as cereal and peanuts and cashews for snacks. I didn't stock up on toilet paper because that's not the end of the body that would be affected. I have the usual amount of toilet paper on-hand which will last me a couple of weeks. The only things I'll need to replenish first will be milk and juice.
And again, anyone who has money in the stock market they cant afford to lose, why do you still? I cant convince my best friends or a close relative to get out before it is too late. Depression coming like a hundred years ago, or worse.
If you have to pull it out, pull it out now before it gets worse. I don't know what the tax implications will be but if you need the money now, get it.
PS the story is out, Jared told rump to embrace the situation and call himself

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavi ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And to run on that...again, cares ZERO about you or me or his supporters ZERO...I dont want to die without seeing justice...I have to see justice, these conmen lying thieving rat fucks must see justice and I dont mean violence, I mean fucking justice
Trump claims he could be a doctor and he knows more than the generals. He doesn't know squat.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

https://twitter.com/LakotaMan1/status/1 ... 0213125083" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
styles/abbcode/images/quote.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you have to see this

Cant copy paste the comment, she is suggesting people have campouts at home and have fun, someone asked her what about the kids in camps being tortured, what campout can they do...

I want fucking justice, HARD justice.; :evil:

bradman
Policy Wonk

Post by bradman »

My wife has always been a sale/bulk/coupon shopper. Ya stock it when ya can get it. Beside buying a bit more frozen veggies and fruit (Besides the fridge freezer, we have a full freezer in the pantry)than usual a week or so ago, she also bought one more thirty pack of toilet paper. We now have 6 packs. The pantry seems like its always been stocked with a years supply of canned goods. And per old school root cellars(grandma and grandpa) or my parents basement storage.......We have 8 cans of coffee. (It's what i remember the most when seeing them as a kid. Why all the coffee?)
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers

bradman
Policy Wonk

Post by bradman »

Since i have some pre existing conditions i relly haven't been out of the house or shop since last Saturday. So, i decided to make an early morning run to stock up on the one thing we don't have in stock.........Beer. First thing i noticed, the strip mall was empty. Cool, it's why i went early. Second thing i noticed, Caribou coffee's parking lot is empty but there's a line that goes around the corner at the drive thru. So, i walk into the liquor store and notice some of the shelves empty of popular stock. No big deal, i'm only there for the beer. i make it to the back coolers and low and behold......But for a little of this and that in unpopular beers.......Nothing. Where's my Grain Belt! Since i had seen a couple beer truck in back when i drove in, i headed to the stock room doors where i met the manager who i know well from high school. i ask, What the hell!? She said it was nuts. Everything was fine until Tuesday when the Gov went on TV and said they were shutting down the bars and restaurants. The run started shortly after and went till closing time. They did more sales that night than they do in a week. Screw that... were's my Grain Belt! She said the truck would be in around noon. i told her i'd be back to buy all the Grain Belt she had. she laughed. i figure four cases will last a month and a half, two if i take it easy. :mrgreen:
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

I received a letter from the Census Bureau this morning. The letter had my Census ID so I could complete it on-line. I went to the website and it took only about seven minute to complete.

I received another piece of mail offering me a free dinner at a nice steak house and wine bar from an investment company for April 1st or 2nd. Yeah, like I'm going to go to a restaurant and have a bunch of yahoos try to get me to invest my money with them so they can earn a commission. In the late 80s, I went to one of these investment dinner seminars by a company that targeted the military. They're product was an IRA with a 50% front-load. I sat through the seminar and quickly figured out they were legally "scamming" people. They did a followup call with me and I explained I could do the same thing with another no-load fund and have all of my money invested. They tried to convince me their mutual fund was the best and that I would recoup the money from the front-load fee in a couple of years to which I replied I can earn more money from the interest in the first year with the no-load mutual fund. He finally admiteed I made sense and that I had a better plan than he was selling. The worst part of this company was they hire retired officers and Senior NCO as their sales force to target the military. Since then, I made sure to talk to my troops about the need for them to invest their money but to do it in a no-load mutual fund. I wouldn't say which mutual fund but for them to start looking at different companies. I also had investing pamphlets from USAA which explained how to invest that I'd lend them to study. I also warned them to stay away from that company that has a 50% front-load. I knew one Chief Master Sergeant (E-9) who was getting ready to retire who told me she was going to work for that company. I told her I warn all my troops to stay away from her company.

rainwater
Board Emeritus

Post by rainwater »

i left home today. hit 3 stores looking for TP and a few other things. i found some TP and i also found
some other paper products that will work in a pinch, if you will.

at the main grocery some aisle areas were empty...soup was nearly gone. meat was back and
most dairy cheese milk etc were almost gone. eggs were Gone.
there is still plenty of fresh produce around from what i see.

TP etc was empty shelves but tomorr my senior neighbor is going early for the senior entry timed event
and we're hoping theyve got some TP out for the early old birds.

i make a point of Thanking the people working the stores for being there, for us.

im stocked up now for a while ahead. id run out of ice cream first.
HST.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

Me too, thank everybody...got drop off from Whole Foods today and I wanted to leave tip under bench on front porch but they got there before I could do that...

rainwater
Board Emeritus

Post by rainwater »

Libertas » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:33 pm wrote:DU, this is from a trucker at DU

prepare for empty grocery stores

i chatted with a trucker the other day, wondered why there were four semis parked outside walm
in the front main lot.
he was pissed. said...walm, when the old man built this store it was for truckers, it was for Us
so we could supply ourselves while driving long distances, since he died and the son took over this
place has gone to hell, he said. they got nuthin for us truckers, he said.
i was a bit confused but i thot it was about..the essential ingredient that keeps us out of the woods: TP.

after reading this stuff above i now see more of why the truckers are pissed at walm.

i was pissed the other day and made a couple calls. one was to local main newspaper, to the news
editor i said...how can we get some TP out here in rural country.
he said...hey we're all dealing with this stuff.
i said then...so, what, we're all sppsd to start shitting in the woods now?

he chuckled and i heard it and then i laffed too. :lol:
today i found some TP. not much but some. got one pack for my neighbor too.
its out there people just gotta get it to the stores and not let anyone take all of it at one time.
HST.

rainwater
Board Emeritus

Post by rainwater »

Libertas » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:42 pm wrote:Me too, thank everybody...got drop off from Whole Foods today and I wanted to leave tip under bench on front porch but they got there before I could do that...
i think thats real important, letting these workers know how they are appreciated.
..."come together right now... over me...."
HST.

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

Speaking of toilet paper. The local news channel had a story about what not to put down your toilet. They spoke with a local, well-known plumbing company and demonstrated the difference in how toilet paper, Kleenex, paper towels, and baby wipes dissolve. Only the toilet paper fell apart while the other three products didn't. As the plumbing company manage says it will cause problem costing you from $200 to $1000 to repair.
CBS8

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

bradman
Policy Wonk

Post by bradman »

This guy is on my favorites list........

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVTRpTHPs3o[/BBvideo]

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

San Diego County opened a "pop-up" drive-thru testing station today. In order to use it, you have to be referred by a doctor who will call and get you an appointment time.

A local biomedical company has received an emergency approval of their Coronavirus test which will produce results in three hours. The company says they can process about 1,000 tests per day and as they ramp up they will be able to do about 2,000 tests a day.

I've been looking at the California Sigalert website to see what traffic is like. After 5 p.m. you usually see congestion in a number of areas but today there's no red areas indication congestion. I haven't seen the roads this deserted since late 2008.

I received a call from my local Democratic Club letting me know they have setup a group to help those who can't get our to buy food, go to the doctor, etc... It was nice to know they're helping. Also, our club was suppose to have a brunch last Saturday with State Senator Toni Atkins, leader of the State Senate, as our guest speaker but the brunch has been rescheduled for later.

rainwater
Board Emeritus

Post by rainwater »

so neighbors went to the morning club for oldsters at the grocery store this morning @7:15am.
they wont do it again.
said checkout lines were all the way to the back end of the store, lines out the front as they checked IDs
to, you know, make sure you were in fact an old fucker. :?

said there was some meat, all the dairy was gone, no TP or paper of any kind.
this was about 10;30am they called me.
i tossed on some clothes and drove short distance to a small store who had told me they were
waiting on a delivery truck...yesterday. it got slowed down due to bad weather was late coming in.
i did not get back to that store yesterday, so..i drove there this morning and found TP and some
other convenient paper products.

the women at the first small store told me the story of why these stores here now had off duty LE.
some nut case woman started screaming about chinese and guns and shooting and so they hauled
her out and now they are on duty in the big stores, like walm. prolly all of them.

im so pleased to meet diff people who are all nice pleasant while working in these crazy conditions.
i had to hit the big grocery for a phone card, as i turned to walk out i also then turned back to face
the store and i yelled out...."THANKS FOR BEING HERE FOR US".

yo..crazy people...no one wants to hear your freakout shit. STFU
HST.

rainwater
Board Emeritus

Post by rainwater »

groper..the guy who states how he likes groping women...uses the word "nasty" all the time.
this must be a word his momma used on him.
no grown man no grown woman, no grown-up uses that word. sure you use it if something
smells awful..eww thats nasty!!

groper uses it referring to other humans...like his momma did referring to him.
what you do can be nasty, who your are is rarely..nasty.
iow...your behavior is nasty which is different from who you are.

he doesnt know the diff. all things not painted gold lame are 'nasty'.
HST.