2020 General Election thread...

What's up today?

Moderators: plunderer, Bernie the union guy

Libertas
Board Emeritus

2020 General Election thread...

Post by Libertas »

We have the candidates, so here we go.

I thought this would be amusing, groups NOT willing to endorse Biden...

https://twitter.com/Lindygeek/status/12 ... orse-biden" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Man, that's an awful lot of Astroturf groups about to go belly up in a few months.

If you are a FLYNN defender you are a TRAITOR and dont talk to me, I am a patriot...

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Re: 2020 General Election thread...

Post by ProfessorX »

Technically speaking, the general election doesn't start until both political parties have their Convention and nominate. Oh, and all the minor parties too, let's not forget the Libertarians and Greens.

That could end up being later than usual if the Dem Conv. is in August.

I recognize it's effectively started, because ...

a) Drumpf still has a Republican primary challenger, Bill Weld, but most state parties seem to be basically ignoring that and coronating him anyway. And to be honest, I don't think Weld is getting more than 5% anywhere. So he is obviously already their presumptive nominee.
b) Some Bernie-ites still have gastritis, but it's over. Bernie, AOC, Warren, they all endorsed Biden. He's the presumptive nominee.

Still, Biden as I keep saying cannot raise money for the GE until he is the actual nominee, and he's not. He also has to be careful, campaigning AS IF he's the candidate when he isn't officially, could get him in trouble with the FEC....
-- Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.
Malaclypse the Younger

Doremus Jessup
Policy Wonk

Post by Doremus Jessup »

ProfessorX » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:40 pm wrote:

Still, Biden as I keep saying cannot raise money for the GE until he is the actual nominee, and he's not. He also has to be careful, campaigning AS IF he's the candidate when he isn't officially, could get him in trouble with the FEC....
And what FEC regulation prohibits Joe, or anyone who has filed their FEC Form2, from raising money "AS IF" he's the candidate for the general election?

You can keep saying Joe "cannot raise money for the GE until he is the actual nominee" but you are wrong.

Trump filed his FEC Form2 on December 2, 2019 and has been raising funds for the 2020 GE ever since.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

If you donated to Biden as a primary candidate, you cannot donate to him again until he is the nominee of a major political party in the general election. Fundraising for the primary and general elections are separated.

Also, he cannot form a joint fundraising committee with the DNC until he is the official nominee of the party. He is also not eligible for general election matching funds until he is the nominee. There are also contribution limits he cannot exceed until he is the nominee.

I get that the RNC decided to skip over this process for 2020 and re-anoint early, but that doesn't mean the DNC can ignore their party had an actual primary, with competing primary candidates.
Malaclypse the Younger

Doremus Jessup
Policy Wonk

Post by Doremus Jessup »

ProfessorX » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:38 pm wrote:If you donated to Biden as a primary candidate, you cannot donate to him again until he is the nominee of a major political party in the general election. Fundraising for the primary and general elections are separated.

Also, he cannot form a joint fundraising committee with the DNC until he is the official nominee of the party. He is also not eligible for general election matching funds until he is the nominee. There are also contribution limits he cannot exceed until he is the nominee.

I get that the RNC decided to skip over this process for 2020 and re-anoint early, but that doesn't mean the DNC can ignore their party had an actual primary, with competing primary candidates.
Yes you can. $2,800 for the primary, $2,800 for the GE. That's actually specified in the FEC regs. Plus, unused funds from the primary can be transferred without limit to the general election.

Yes he can. Anyone with a FEC Form2 can form a joint fundraising committee. Everybody can fund raise "AS IF" they are the GE candidate , at any time.

Technically Trump isn't the candidate. Same as Biden. No difference.

Joe is fundraising now for the GE.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

Oh yes, the Trump family grifting and self-dealing (through skirting campaign finance law) has definitely already begun.

Trump Campaign Secretly Paying $180,000 A Year To His Sons’ Significant Others
Lara Trump and Kimberly Guilfoyle are each receiving $15,000 per month through the campaign manager’s private company, GOP sources said, to dodge FEC rules.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-se ... mg00000004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WASHINGTON ― President Donald Trump’s campaign is secretly paying one Trump son’s wife and another one’s girlfriend $180,000 a year each through the campaign manager’s private company, according to top Republicans with knowledge of the payments.

Kimberly Guilfoyle, the girlfriend of eldest son Donald Trump Jr., and Lara Trump, wife of middle son Eric Trump, are each receiving $15,000 a month, according to two GOP sources who are informal White House advisers and who spoke on condition of anonymity.

They were unsure when the payments began but say they are being made by campaign manager Bradley Parscale through his company rather than directly by either the campaign or the party in order to avoid public reporting requirements.

“I can pay them however I want to pay them,” Parscale told HuffPost on Friday, but then declined to comment any further.

Critics of the arrangement, including Republicans, said the setup was designed to get around Federal Election Commission rules that require campaigns, political parties and other committees to disclose their spending in detail.

“A lot of people close to Donald Trump are getting rich off of his campaign,” said Paul Ryan, a campaign finance legal expert at the watchdog group Common Cause. “They don’t want donors to know that they’re getting rich. Because, at the end of the day, it’s donor money.”

Stuart Stevens, a top aide to 2012 GOP nominee Mitt Romney’s campaign, was even more blunt: “That’s why Parscale has the job. He’s a money launderer, not a campaign manager.”

[snip]

FEC rules require that campaigns, political parties and other committees disclose all expenditures, including payments to employees. But the Trump campaign and the RNC have been getting around it by routing many of their payments through Pascale’s private companies.

[snip]

Trump funneling donor money into his children’s households builds on his practice of funneling it into his own pocket, which began in 2016, right after he became the presumptive Republican nominee and began raising large amounts of GOP money. Trump immediately quintupled the rent he was charging his campaign at Trump Tower, from $35,458 per month to $169,758. He also began billing the campaign five- and six-figure sums for use of his hotels and golf courses for hosting fundraisers.

Those practices continued after his election and through to this day. His campaign still pays Trump Tower $37,542 a month in rent, even though it is based in a high-rise office building in Arlington, Virginia. The campaign and the RNC continue to host fundraisers at Trump’s properties, putting hundreds of thousands of dollars at a time into his own cash registers.

All of those entities are owned by the Trump Organization, which in turn is owned by a trust that Trump created after his election and of which he is the sole beneficiary.

“Grift and graft is the family business,” said Robert Weissman, president of the liberal group Public Citizen.

[snip][end]

Ain't that the truth.
Malaclypse the Younger

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

Speaking of corrupt grifters,

President Trump's 'opening the country' council features several political donors and supporters
At least 25 individuals have made substantial donations in support of Trump.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/preside ... _icymi_hed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh, and this story has not gone away, even if Senate Rethug ass-kissers want it to.

[from twitter]
Olga Lautman@olgaNYC1211
So @RudyGiuliani russian agent Telizhenko in an interview posted yesterday said Trump offered 1 billion in cash the end of last year for a Biden investigation to be opened up. How many laws were broken? Who exactly was going to pay for this?
This is the work of Putin's thugs Telizhenko, Derkach, Dubinsky, Kolomoisky, Kislin and every one who was involved in this corrupt mess. Giuliani's business partners and longtime criminal allies. Trump as well.
[end]

Lautman writes for Newsweek. Again, going back to whether twitter is a credible source, well, it depends on who's tweeting, of course.

Where was this billion dollars coming from? (Obvious answer is "taxpayer money".)
Malaclypse the Younger

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

ProfessorX » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:24 am wrote:Speaking of corrupt grifters,

President Trump's 'opening the country' council features several political donors and supporters
At least 25 individuals have made substantial donations in support of Trump.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/preside ... _icymi_hed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh, and this story has not gone away, even if Senate Rethug ass-kissers want it to.

[from twitter]
Olga Lautman@olgaNYC1211
So @RudyGiuliani russian agent Telizhenko in an interview posted yesterday said Trump offered 1 billion in cash the end of last year for a Biden investigation to be opened up. How many laws were broken? Who exactly was going to pay for this?
This is the work of Putin's thugs Telizhenko, Derkach, Dubinsky, Kolomoisky, Kislin and every one who was involved in this corrupt mess. Giuliani's business partners and longtime criminal allies. Trump as well.
[end]

Lautman writes for Newsweek. Again, going back to whether twitter is a credible source, well, it depends on who's tweeting, of course.

Where was this billion dollars coming from? (Obvious answer is "taxpayer money".)

I repeatedly said 4 yrs ago that he was not part of the corrupt business system, cant remember the phrase for that now, he WAS that, while his supporters believed he would fix it.

Most corrupt human being on earth..
If you are a FLYNN defender you are a TRAITOR and dont talk to me, I am a patriot...

Doremus Jessup
Policy Wonk

Post by Doremus Jessup »

ProfessorX wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:13 am
Oh yes, the Trump family grifting and self-dealing (through skirting campaign finance law) has definitely already begun.

Trump Campaign Secretly Paying $180,000 A Year To His Sons’ Significant Others
Lara Trump and Kimberly Guilfoyle are each receiving $15,000 per month through the campaign manager’s private company, GOP sources said, to dodge FEC rules.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-se ... mg00000004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WASHINGTON ― President Donald Trump’s campaign is secretly paying one Trump son’s wife and another one’s girlfriend $180,000 a year each through the campaign manager’s private company, according to top Republicans with knowledge of the payments.

Kimberly Guilfoyle, the girlfriend of eldest son Donald Trump Jr., and Lara Trump, wife of middle son Eric Trump, are each receiving $15,000 a month, according to two GOP sources who are informal White House advisers and who spoke on condition of anonymity.

They were unsure when the payments began but say they are being made by campaign manager Bradley Parscale through his company rather than directly by either the campaign or the party in order to avoid public reporting requirements.

“I can pay them however I want to pay them,” Parscale told HuffPost on Friday, but then declined to comment any further.

Critics of the arrangement, including Republicans, said the setup was designed to get around Federal Election Commission rules that require campaigns, political parties and other committees to disclose their spending in detail.

“A lot of people close to Donald Trump are getting rich off of his campaign,” said Paul Ryan, a campaign finance legal expert at the watchdog group Common Cause. “They don’t want donors to know that they’re getting rich. Because, at the end of the day, it’s donor money.”

Stuart Stevens, a top aide to 2012 GOP nominee Mitt Romney’s campaign, was even more blunt: “That’s why Parscale has the job. He’s a money launderer, not a campaign manager.”

[snip]

FEC rules require that campaigns, political parties and other committees disclose all expenditures, including payments to employees. But the Trump campaign and the RNC have been getting around it by routing many of their payments through Pascale’s private companies.

[snip]

Trump funneling donor money into his children’s households builds on his practice of funneling it into his own pocket, which began in 2016, right after he became the presumptive Republican nominee and began raising large amounts of GOP money. Trump immediately quintupled the rent he was charging his campaign at Trump Tower, from $35,458 per month to $169,758. He also began billing the campaign five- and six-figure sums for use of his hotels and golf courses for hosting fundraisers.

Those practices continued after his election and through to this day. His campaign still pays Trump Tower $37,542 a month in rent, even though it is based in a high-rise office building in Arlington, Virginia. The campaign and the RNC continue to host fundraisers at Trump’s properties, putting hundreds of thousands of dollars at a time into his own cash registers.

All of those entities are owned by the Trump Organization, which in turn is owned by a trust that Trump created after his election and of which he is the sole beneficiary.

“Grift and graft is the family business,” said Robert Weissman, president of the liberal group Public Citizen.

[snip][end]

Ain't that the truth.
And Joe has paid millions to his sister’s firm over the years and paid his son’s law firm in the past. His sister is a legit consultant as is Guilfoyle - so what. And 15k per month is chump change in the political world. Neither party comes anywhere close to ethical in the campaign finance world.

So where are you on FEC rules prohibiting fund raising until the candidate is the official primary winner?

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

For someone who claims to be a Democrat, you do a lot of bothsiderism.

I'm not interested in your extensive efforts at whatabouttery.
Malaclypse the Younger

Doremus Jessup
Policy Wonk

Post by Doremus Jessup »

Just pointing out there is no there there.

I’ll criticize the weak and desperate when I see it.

So where are you on FEC rules prohibiting fund raising until the candidate is the official primary winner.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

:rw) I think the ones I've mentioned are appropriate and excellent, thanks for asking.

If there's no there there, why is Parscale doing shady stuff to skirt campaign finance rules?
Malaclypse the Younger

Doremus Jessup
Policy Wonk

Post by Doremus Jessup »

So you remain ignorant. Try actually reading the FEC regulations. You’ll learn something.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

Not from you, that's for sure.
Malaclypse the Younger

Doremus Jessup
Policy Wonk

Post by Doremus Jessup »

I'll throw you a bone.

"Candidates who lose in the primary
A candidate is entitled to an election limit only if he or she seeks office in that election. Thus, a candidate who loses the primary (or otherwise does not participate in the general election) does not have a separate limit for the general. If a candidate accepts contributions for the general election before the primary is held and loses the primary (or does not otherwise participate in the general election), the candidate’s principal campaign committee must refund, redesignate or reattribute the general election contributions within 60 days of the primary or the date that the candidate publicly withdraws from the primary race.
Primary vs. general election
Campaigns must adopt an accounting system to distinguish between contributions made for the primary election and those made for the general election. Nevertheless, the campaign of a candidate running in the general election may spend unused primary contributions for general election expenses. The contributions would continue to apply toward the contributors’ limits for the primary. The campaign of a candidate running in the general election may use general election contributions for primary election debts; the contributions would still count against the contributor’s general election limits. Should the candidate lose the primary, contributions accepted for the general must be refunded, redesignated or reattributed within 60 days and may not be used to repay primary election debt. Therefore, candidates should ensure they have enough cash on hand to make those refunds if needed."
https://www.fec.gov/help-candidates-and ... on-limits/

I'm guessing you should be able to figure it out.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

Doremus Jessup wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:32 pm

I’ll criticize the weak and desperate when I see it.
Some people pluck the legs off of insects to germinate themselves. Insects have six legs so it's very stratifying.

:|

ap215
Board Emeritus

Post by ap215 »

New York votes to cancel presidential primary

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... i-BB13he8D

ap215
Board Emeritus

Post by ap215 »

Professor Rachel Bitecofer Releases Her Eagerly Anticipated 2020 Congressional Elections Forecast

This morning, former Christopher Newport University Professor, Niskanen Center Senior Fellow and elections analyst/modeler Rachel Bitecofer is out with her forecasts for this November’s elections – “Negative Partisanship and the 2020 Congressional Elections” – and it’s well worth a read. See below for a few general, and Virginia-related, takeaways (bolding added by me for emphasis), as well as predictions for the U.S. Senate race in Virginia (“Safe D” for Mark Warner); and key, competitive U.S. House races in Virginia (“Safe D” for Rep. Jennifer Wexton in VA-10, “Likely D” for Rep. Abigail Spanberger in VA-07, “Lean D” for Rep. Elaine Luria in VA-02 and “Likely R” for Rep. Denver Riggleman in VA-05).

Overall, Bitecofer expects Democrats not just to hold the U.S. House, but to add to their majority. As for the Senate, Bitecofer writes, “Democrats are in superior positions in three of the four swing races they need to win a 50-vote majority and have five prospects from which to glean their fourth seat. That makes for a lot of points of weakness for Republicans to defend in an environment that grows more politically hostile by the day.”

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/4 ... s-Forecast

ap215
Board Emeritus

Post by ap215 »

NO!

‘I’m Testing The Waters’: Fmr. Minn. Gov. Jesse Ventura Says He’s Considering Presidential Bid

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura says he’s considering a presidential run.

On Monday, Ventura tweeted that he’s “testing the waters” and if he were going to run for president, the Green party would be his first choice. He’d be up against President Donald Trump, a Republican, as well as Democrat

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/04/ ... ntial-bid/

marindem01
Policy Wonk
Location: 3.5 Miles From The North Tower of The Golden Gate Bridge

Post by marindem01 »

HRC has endorsed former V.P. Joe Biden for President.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/2 ... den-215635
"The Clouded Mind See's Nothing", The Shadow.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

marindem01 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:54 pm
HRC has endorsed former V.P. Joe Biden for President.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/2 ... den-215635
If russia doesnt work hand in hand with McConnell and rump and other cons, thus they committed treason for fuck sake, HRC is prez and we have a FRACTION of these numbers. Treasonous no good fucking scumbags.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

ap215 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:05 pm
NO!

‘I’m Testing The Waters’: Fmr. Minn. Gov. Jesse Ventura Says He’s Considering Presidential Bid

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura says he’s considering a presidential run.

On Monday, Ventura tweeted that he’s “testing the waters” and if he were going to run for president, the Green party would be his first choice. He’d be up against President Donald Trump, a Republican, as well as Democrat

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/04/ ... ntial-bid/
That strikes me as the kind of announcement which would bother Trump supporters a whole lot more than it bothers me.

ap215
Board Emeritus

Post by ap215 »

Justin Amash announces presidential exploratory committee

(CNN) Justin Amash, a Republican-turned independent congressman from Michigan, announced Tuesday night that he is launching an exploratory committee for long-shot presidential bid as a Libertarian.

Amash launched a website announcing he has formed an exploratory committee for a presidential campaign.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/28/politics ... index.html

Motor City
Board Emeritus

Post by Motor City »

Sam Lefthand wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:55 pm

That strikes me as the kind of announcement which would bother Trump supporters a whole lot more than it bothers me.
then again ya never know last election there were over a hundred million alienated, voter suppressed, unenthused, and various other reason non voters, and theres way more stuff than that going on now. if both candidates remain rigid and inflexible and hostile to the potential voters and voters need there's no telling what could happen.

There is certainly enough idle voting power and a lot of new despair and trauma cooking up, I wouldn't underestimate anything the way things have spun out of control.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

Justin Amash is a never-trumper, but also basically in lockstep with this country's (Right-)Libertarian Party, which means he bows at the altar of Ayn Rand. I am filled with non excitement. BTW, I think he is also one of the never-trumpers that was much talk, but little action when it came to resisting Trump in Congress, too.

Jesse Ventura - well, he's such a freaking idiot I started a separate thread on him. Now here's what bothers me. He might take some votes from Trump, but if he really does run as a Green, he could take some votes from his opponent. You know, that Boden guy. Let him test the waters. I hope he realizes he's full of shit and will quickly sink, and gets out.
Malaclypse the Younger