Covid is Weird

News and events of the day
ZoWie

Re: Covid is Weird

Post by ZoWie »

You can't control 320 (and increasing daily) million people. You can, however, try a lot harder to pound some common sense into the situation than the Republicans ever did with Covid. By time we got a grownup running things, it was way way way too late. The Rubicon had been crossed. Dead issue. Alia jactum est.

We were actually doing pretty well with masking in places where it mattered. We still are in LA. Masks are optional, but you still see them especially on mass transit. The one exception is the airport. I still don't get it why people think it's safe not to mask up in the terminal queues, but that's me, and so I just won't fly for a while. I won't get into a lather. I certainly won't go on the Internet and encourage true believers to threaten anyone's life.

I will continue to call your side out for telling people to drink/inject bleach. You did it, it's right there in a bazillion computer files, and that's all there is to it. That's as deep as your side ever got because heaven forfend we should disrupt the transfer of wealth from decent working people to the global oligarchy. In fact, thinking Republicans should have considered it their patriotic duty to call his ass on that one. Why didn't they?

You can call my side out all you want for saying people should disinfect groceries. That was just silly. It hardly rises to drinking bleach though. That one sets the standard for political bullshit in a crisis.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Now I really am done. Who needs this? I'd rather teach Mt. Rushmore to sing 4-part barbershop harmony.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
gounion

Post by gounion »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:26 pm Now I really am done. Who needs this? I'd rather teach Mt. Rushmore to sing 4-part barbershop harmony.
Zowie, thank you for speaking the truth, as the smartest man in our room.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:09 pm You can't control 320 (and increasing daily) million people. You can, however, try a lot harder to pound some common sense into the situation than the Republicans ever did with Covid. By time we got a grownup running things, it was way way way too late. The Rubicon had been crossed. Dead issue. Alia jactum est.

We were actually doing pretty well with masking in places where it mattered. We still are in LA. Masks are optional, but you still see them especially on mass transit. The one exception is the airport. I still don't get it why people think it's safe not to mask up in the terminal queues, but that's me, and so I just won't fly for a while. I won't get into a lather. I certainly won't go on the Internet and encourage true believers to threaten anyone's life.

I will continue to call your side out for telling people to drink/inject bleach. You did it, it's right there in a bazillion computer files, and that's all there is to it. That's as deep as your side ever got because heaven forfend we should disrupt the transfer of wealth from decent working people to the global oligarchy. In fact, thinking Republicans should have considered it their patriotic duty to call his ass on that one. Why didn't they?

You can call my side out all you want for saying people should disinfect groceries. That was just silly. It hardly rises to drinking bleach though. That one sets the standard for political bullshit in a crisis.
My side? Which side is that? I never told anyone to ingest bleach. No one I know held such ideas. You seem to think everyone who doesn’t agree with your side all believe the same thing. They don’t. You appear to think everyone who doesn’t agree with you is ignorant. They aren’t. So if that’s what you think, perhaps you are the one who is ignorant.

I didn’t call people out for taking whatever precautions they felt necessary to protect themselves. That was and is their decision. What I object to is the belief they thought they had the right to force their beliefs on everyone else.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:38 pm My side? Which side is that? I never told anyone to ingest bleach. No one I know held such ideas. You seem to think everyone who doesn’t agree with your side all believe the same thing. They don’t. You appear to think everyone who doesn’t agree with you is ignorant. They aren’t. So if that’s what you think, perhaps you are the one who is ignorant.

I didn’t call people out for taking whatever precautions they felt necessary to protect themselves. That was and is their decision. What I object to is the belief they thought they had the right to force their beliefs on everyone else.
That is the most bullshit post ever. OF COURSE you vote to force your views on us by force of law. And you bait us and brag that you’re going to win big last election because “No one is buying what we’re selling”.

The Republican President told people to drink bleach, and you conveniently forget that. You act in this post like you’ve never even HEARD of it.

You’re a lying, disingenuous pile of shit and that’s why Zowie gets tired, because you aren’t ever interested in actually discussing and debating, you’re just a liar.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:17 pm That is the most bullshit post ever. OF COURSE you vote to force your views on us by force of law. And you bait us and brag that you’re going to win big last election because “No one is buying what we’re selling”.

The Republican President told people to drink bleach, and you conveniently forget that. You act in this post like you’ve never even HEARD of it.

You’re a lying, disingenuous pile of shit and that’s why Zowie gets tired, because you aren’t ever interested in actually discussing and debating, you’re just a liar.
No. I don’t vote to force you to do anything. No one forced you not to mask or to go out in public unmasked. It was the other way around. No one was limiting your ability to decide what precautions to take for yourself. The bullshit here is yours.

I never voted for the President to which you refer. I don’t and didn’t associate myself with him or his remarks. I didn’t claim he didn’t say what he said. I said no one I knew believed bleach to be a cure and I know quite a few conservatives. So to believe that a majority of conservatives believed ingesting bleach was a good idea is stupid. Ignorant. Nonsense.

I appreciate the fact that you don’t think Zowie capable of speaking for himself. I think he’s perfectly capable of carrying his own water.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:37 pm No. I don’t vote to force you to do anything. No one forced you not to mask or to go out in public unmasked. It was the other way around. No one was limiting your ability to decide what precautions to take for yourself. The bullshit here is yours.
You voted to take away the right of women to an abortion. You voted to attack the right of LGBTQ+ citizens to live their true lives in a free country.

But all you care about is a fucking mask. Grow up you godamned baby.
I never voted for the President to which you refer. I don’t and didn’t associate myself with him or his remarks. I didn’t claim he didn’t say what he said. I said no one I knew believed bleach to be a cure and I know quite a few conservatives. So to believe that a majority of conservatives believed ingesting bleach was a good idea is stupid. Ignorant. Nonsense.

But you vote for all of his supporters. You vote for those who voted not to impeach him. You voted for those who are obstructing justice in the investigations into January 6th. But of course, that’s not surprising, because you wouldn’t have minded if they’d have gotten their way and taken out Pence and Pelosi so that Trump could have declared Martial Law to keep power.
[quoteI appreciate the fact that you don’t think Zowie capable of speaking for himself. I think he’s perfectly capable of carrying his own water.
[/quote]And you’re not capable of an adult discussion.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:13 pm You voted to take away the right of women to an abortion. You voted to attack the right of LGBTQ+ citizens to live their true lives in a free country.

But all you care about is a fucking mask. Grow up you godamned baby.

But you vote for all of his supporters. You vote for those who voted not to impeach him. You voted for those who are obstructing justice in the investigations into January 6th. But of course, that’s not surprising, because you wouldn’t have minded if they’d have gotten their way and taken out Pence and Pelosi so that Trump could have declared Martial Law to keep power.
[quoteI appreciate the fact that you don’t think Zowie capable of speaking for himself. I think he’s perfectly capable of carrying his own water.
And you’re not capable of an adult discussion.
[/quote]

Show me a single post where I advocated overturning Roe. I was on the record on this board opposing overturning Roe. In addition, I never opposed gay marriage or any other lgbt rights. So that’s all nothing but lies on your part. Total fabricated.

You care more for masks than I do. Wear them if you want. That’s up to you.

As for all the rest of your rant. That’s all manufactured outrage and flawed faulty logic. I have noted that neither you or any other member of this board bothered to post a single sentence regarding Jan 6 on the 2nd anniversary of Jan 6. Obviously it made a great impression on you. Maybe you were out saving the world.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:49 pm And you’re not capable of an adult discussion.

Show me a single post where I advocated overturning Roe. I was on the record on this board opposing overturning Roe. In addition, I never opposed gay marriage or any other lgbt rights. So that’s all nothing but lies on your part. Total fabricated.

You care more for masks than I do. Wear them if you want. That’s up to you.

As for all the rest of your rant. That’s all manufactured outrage and flawed faulty logic. I have noted that neither you or any other member of this board bothered to post a single sentence regarding Jan 6 on the 2nd anniversary of Jan 6. Obviously it made a great impression on you. Maybe you were out saving the world.
That’s all you ever do, say you’re for this and that, and yet you vote AGAINST those things. The people YOU VOTE FOR are the ones that’s voting the exact OPPOSITE of what you SAY you advocate.

I believe in the germ theory. I care more about people than profits. That’s the difference between us.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:24 pm That’s all you ever do, say you’re for this and that, and yet you vote AGAINST those things. The people YOU VOTE FOR are the ones that’s voting the exact OPPOSITE of what you SAY you advocate.

I believe in the germ theory. I care more about people than profits. That’s the difference between us.
There are numerous differences between us. Nobody truly gives a shit. You aren’t somebody I want to emulate and I would hope that other people wouldn’t want to be you either. For the record, I don’t buy the self serving self promotion you keep peddling about yourself on this board. Who are you trying to convince? Yourself? Insecure pathetic. Sounds like it to me.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:52 pm There are numerous differences between us. Nobody truly gives a shit. You aren’t somebody I want to emulate and I would hope that other people wouldn’t want to be you either. For the record, I don’t buy the self serving self promotion you keep peddling about yourself on this board. Who are you trying to convince? Yourself? Insecure pathetic. Sounds like it to me.
I proudly take a stand and will defend it. You run away like a gutless worm. You're the one that proves to be pathetic on this board.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:17 pm

No he didn’t.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... ronavirus/
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:38 am No he didn’t.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... ronavirus/
Isn’t it funny how you guys always defend Trump?

From your link:
Trump did not specifically recommend ingesting disinfectants, but he did express interest in exploring whether disinfectants could be applied to the site of a coronavirus infection inside the body, such as the lungs.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

It was at one of those DC news conferences that he was never all that good at. He got flustered, the way he did, and he blurted it out in a semi-coherent sentence, the way he did. He said something about injecting bleach to cure covid, and later when he was pressed on it he got flustered and said just drink bleach, I don't know, who cares, or words to that effect. It was sarcastic, maybe, but later on he tried to do damage control and his aides had a lot of trouble getting him to just shut up about it. The Nooz ran some clip 24/7 where he blurted out something really silly. It took over twitter for at least a day, it became one of those political legends that the Internet is so good at creating, and now it's hard to find anything. The actual footage might have been successfully scrubbed from the current Internet. Or maybe there was no footage. I can't believe it matters, in the folklore process. That's what the majority came to think. The Internet in general is not trustworthy, but that's my perception on the subject.

Here's about all I could find. It talks around it, it's biased against drumpf, but it sheds light on how it started and the lasting damage it did. The basic conclusion in the public consciousness was that the government didn't know shit about covid, and that's what stuck.

What's actually more interesting to me is that drumpf seemed to advocate masks earlier than I thought. He actually recommended masks fairly early on. That sure got forgotten fast. Methinks the record got cleansed, the way the Nooz does, and the public drew the kind of conclusion that the public always does draw. A half-truth. "The president doesn't like masks."
Trump started his press conference that day by doing something he’d come to loathe: pushing basic public safety measures. He called for the “voluntary use of face coverings” and said of his administration, “continued diligence is an essential part of our strategy.”
Given the current tendency of righties to say masks are a Democratic Party plot to control human behavior, this whole deconstructive process over a period of time is rather revelatory of how folklore gets started. He said she said they said he said, leading to a group concept that might or might not reflect reality.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/2 ... ear-484399
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:25 am I proudly take a stand and will defend it. You run away like a gutless worm. You're the one that proves to be pathetic on this board.
That’s another lie. You run away whenever the questions get tough for you to answer. It’s been pointed out several times. So sell that BS somewhere else. You are as big a coward as they come.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:51 pm That’s another lie. You run away whenever the questions get tough for you to answer. It’s been pointed out several times. So sell that BS somewhere else. You are as big a coward as they come.
No, I've answered everything. If there's something I haven't answered, link to it and I'll answer.

Or shut the fuck up, you lying sack of shit.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:08 pm No, I've answered everything. If there's something I haven't answered, link to it and I'll answer.

Or shut the fuck up, you lying sack of shit.
Struck a nerve did I??
:lol: :lol: :lol:
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:35 pm Struck a nerve did I??
:lol: :lol: :lol:
No links, right. You’re a George Santos-level liar.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:16 pm No links, right. You’re a George Santos-level liar.
So are you claiming that you answer all questions put to you without fail? Is that your claim?.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:06 pm So are you claiming that you answer all questions put to you without fail? Is that your claim?.
YOU are the one making the claim. Give me a link of something I didn’t answer, I’ll answer it.

That’s a offer you WON’T make, you gutless worm.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:20 pm YOU are the one making the claim. Give me a link of something I didn’t answer, I’ll answer it.

That’s a offer you WON’T make, you gutless worm.
Are you claiming you answer all questions out to you without fail? Is that your assertion? Simple question. Yes or No.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:39 pm Are you claiming you answer all questions out to you without fail? Is that your assertion? Simple question. Yes or No.
I never run away. Sometimes I’m away and miss them. I guarantee I’ll answer any question. You say I haven’t. So either provide a link or shut the fuck up.

Because we KNOW you run away from questions all the fucking time. I could provide LOTS of links, starting in the current health care thread. It’s funny when you ALWAYS run away from questions that you would act all superior.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:06 pm I never run away. Sometimes I’m away and miss them. I guarantee I’ll answer any question. You say I haven’t. So either provide a link or shut the fuck up.

Because we KNOW you run away from questions all the fucking time. I could provide LOTS of links, starting in the current health care thread. It’s funny when you ALWAYS run away from questions that you would act all superior.
So you claim you answer every question put to you and you never run away? Even when it’s being pointed out to you that you are running away? Is that what you are claiming?
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:10 pm So you claim you answer every question put to you and you never run away? Even when it’s being pointed out to you that you are running away? Is that what you are claiming?
Where’s the link?
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:16 pm Where’s the link?
You say you answer every question. You say you never run away. Just want you to confirm that is exactly your claim.