Rand Paul wants federal tornado aid

News and events of the day
gounion

Rand Paul wants federal tornado aid

Post by gounion »

Conservatives say they want the federal government out of their business - until they need help. Here we go again:
Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky dashed off a letter to President Joe Biden today pleading for expeditious federal relief aid to victims of a deadly 200-mile tornado that struck his state Friday.

That was of course the right to do. But Paul is a strange one to have done it.

Throughout his two terms in the U.S. Senate, Paul has prided himself as a Tea Party fiscal conservative willing to say no to the most milquetoast causes if federal spending is involved. Opposing federal disaster relief is one of his pastimes.

In 2017, Paul was one of just 17 senators to oppose an emergency $15.3 billion federal relief bill for victims of Hurricane Harvey. It had wreaked havoc similar to Friday’s tornado, but not in Kentucky.

In 2013, Paul was one of 31 Republican senators who voted against a $50.5 billion relief aid package for Hurricane Sandy -- “after previously disaster aid for their home states,” as reported by ThinkProgress.org.

In 2011, Paul’s first year in the Senate, he was among 38 Republicans voting against a major FEMA funding package despite the fact -- not lost upon publicintegrity.org -- that his own state of Kentucky had been the nation’s largest recipient of FEMA funding ($293 million), mostly because of a 2009 ice storm.

A decade later, Paul wrote to Biden like the two were old liberal spendthrift friends.

“Last night and early this morning devastating storms swept across multiple states, including Kentucky. A single tornado from that system may have been on the ground for over 200 miles, and a large swath of the Commonwealth has been severely hit.

“As the sun comes up this morning we will begin to understand the true scope of the devastation, but we already know of loss of life and severe property damage.

“The governor of the Commonwealth has requested federal assistance this morning, and certainly further requests will be coming as the situation is assessed. I fully support those requests and ask that you move expeditiously to approve the appropriate resources for our state.”
Quite simply, conservatives are fucking hypocrites.

States simply aren't equipped to deal with the financial blow that disasters are. The federal government spreads that pain and makes it easier to deal with the devastation. It's really simple math.

But conservatives don't give a shit about others, but they sure as hell want to help themselves.

Any of our conservatives want to explain why Paul voted against assistance for other states, but demands it for his own? Hmmmm?
marindem01

Re: Rand Paul wants federal tornado aid

Post by marindem01 »

I just read about this in Newsweek. Paul is lying hypocrite. He didn't care when other states needed aid, he was adamant in his opposition to such federal relief. Now he suddenly wants aid he denied to other states. Fuck him.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Biden is not Trump, eh........

https://www.fema.gov/press-release/2021 ... n-kentucky
President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. Approves Emergency Declaration for Kentucky
Release Date:
December 11, 2021
WASHINGTON -- FEMA announced that federal disaster assistance has been made available to the Commonwealth of Kentucky to supplement state and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by severe storms, straight-line winds, flooding and tornadoes beginning Dec. 10, 2021 and continuing.

The President's action authorizes FEMA to coordinate all disaster relief efforts to alleviate the hardship and suffering caused by the emergency on the local population, and to provide appropriate assistance, to save lives, to protect property, public health and safety and to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in Breckenridge, Bullitt, Caldwell, Fulton, Graves, Grayson, Hickman, Hopkins, Lyon, Meade, Muhlenberg, Ohio, Shelby, Spencer and Warren counties.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:16 am Biden is not Trump, eh........

https://www.fema.gov/press-release/2021 ... n-kentucky
President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. Approves Emergency Declaration for Kentucky
Biden, of course, will always do the right thing, whether it's for states that voted for him or not.

In the aftermath of Hurricanes Harvey and Sandy, the majority of GOP Senators refused to vote for aid.

But that's who they are. What's sad is that our righties will still vote GOP anyway. Because they don't give a shit.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

I don't think the people of Kentucky should suffer because Rand Paul is a moronic asshole.

Or any of the neighboring states.

But yes, of course, he is.

Yeah, Biden is not Trump, he doesn't seek out "revenge" on states that didn't vote for him ... it's a thing called "character". Trump wouldn't know what it was if it came up and bit him on his ginormous tukhas.

Loyalty only matters in one direction, and Captain Transactional only sees it working one way. What have you done for me lately? He also slammed Netanyahu for congratulating Biden on his victory.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

I’m all for it.

But f. Klanned Paul.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:42 am I don't think the people of Kentucky should suffer because Rand Paul is a moronic asshole.

Or any of the neighboring states.

But yes, of course, he is.

Yeah, Biden is not Trump, he doesn't seek out "revenge" on states that didn't vote for him ... it's a thing called "character". Trump wouldn't know what it was if it came up and bit him on his ginormous tukhas.

Loyalty only matters in one direction, and Captain Transactional only sees it working one way. What have you done for me lately? He also slammed Netanyahu for congratulating Biden on his victory.
Yes but you know, at some point these states need to pay for electing anti-government assholes.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:15 pm Yes but you know, at some point these states need to pay for electing anti-government assholes.
Lol there should be a specific confederate line item tax :lol:

On the not so funny side, these confederates literally are killing all who are in their sh#tty environments.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:20 am Conservatives say they want the federal government out of their business - until they need help. Here we go again:

States simply aren't equipped to deal with the financial blow that disasters are. The federal government spreads that pain and makes it easier to deal with the devastation. It's really simple math.

But conservatives don't give a shit about others, but they sure as hell want to help themselves.

Any of our conservatives want to explain why Paul voted against assistance for other states, but demands it for his own? Hmmmm?
The worst group, for lack of a better word, of people on earth are MAGA, like Rand Paul.

They would imprison or execute ALL of us in a heartbeat if it meant more power or money, without hesitation. This is what some on the left still dont believe.

Obviously everyone knows trump would eliminate, any way he could, all of his political opponents including democratic voters if he could. His MAGA would as well.

This is why courts and the rule of law wont work, anymore.
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:20 am Conservatives say they want the federal government out of their business - until they need help. Here we go again:

Dirty grifters.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:31 pm Dirty grifters.
Board cons will not see the hypocrisy here, wont acknowledge it. This is why America could come to an end. Board cons support the end. FUCKERS
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:23 pm Board cons will not see the hypocrisy here, wont acknowledge it. This is why America could come to an end. Board cons support the end. FUCKERS
They need a bath.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:57 pm They need a bath.
Speaking of hypocrites, Elon Musk is a gigantic one

https://youtu.be/1zLIT2qF70Q
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:01 pm Speaking of hypocrites, Elon Musk is a gigantic one

https://youtu.be/1zLIT2qF70Q
Every time that rightwing sock green grass posts about this little creep, I’m posting this.

Life Under Apartheid - Apartheid Museum

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:07 pm Every time that rightwing sock green grass posts about this little creep, I’m posting this.

Life Under Apartheid - Apartheid Museum
8-)
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:16 am Biden is not Trump, eh........
I like Joe, but honestly a potted plant is better than Trump.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:20 am Any of our conservatives want to explain why Paul voted against assistance for other states, but demands it for his own? Hmmmm?
Lol f. them.

I don't want anything bad to happen to them, like I hope JoeMemphis is ok, and Glennfs if he's been driving in any of these states.

But my god they live an amoral life and believe stupid things, seriously. :? :problem:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

carmenjonze wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:36 pm Lol f. them.

I don't want anything bad to happen to them, like I hope JoeMemphis is ok, and Glennfs if he's been driving in any of these states.

But my god they live an amoral life and believe stupid things, seriously. :? :problem:
The Memphis area wasn't hit. Glenn wasn't in the area, he's fine.

And we didn't get anything but thunderstorms and wind. Didn't even wake me up until they were almost through.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:41 pm The Memphis area wasn't hit. Glenn wasn't in the area, he's fine.

And we didn't get anything but thunderstorms and wind. Didn't even wake me up until they were almost through.
Yeah I have a colleague in KY where they got warnings but they're ok. These cities that were devastated, though... :(

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

carmenjonze wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:55 pm Yeah I have a colleague in KY where they got warnings but they're ok. These cities that were devastated, though... :(
Yeah, I lived my first 55 or so years in tornado alley, and was relieved to move to Maryland, where such things are exceedingly rare.

Tennessee isn't as bad as Kansas or Texas, but that's one minus on the area for me. I've seen way to much tornado devastation. I've personally seen over 20 twisters with my own eyes. Not fun.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:01 pm Yeah, I lived my first 55 or so years in tornado alley, and was relieved to move to Maryland, where such things are exceedingly rare.

Tennessee isn't as bad as Kansas or Texas, but that's one minus on the area for me. I've seen way to much tornado devastation. I've personally seen over 20 twisters with my own eyes. Not fun.
Florida has the third largest number of tornadoes with Texas and Kansas being numbers 1 and 2, respectively. I've never had to shelter from a tornado but I have been in areas where there were tornado alerts. I'd rather live in earthquake prone California than a state where they have a lot of tornadoes. With an earthquake, it's happens suddenly and it's over quickly. With a tornado, you often don't know where it is and you're nervously awaiting the "all-clear" announcement. It's the waiting that would drive me nuts.
When you vote left, you vote right.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:17 pm Florida has the third largest number of tornadoes with Texas and Kansas being numbers 1 and 2, respectively. I've never had to shelter from a tornado but I have been in areas where there were tornado alerts. I'd rather live in earthquake prone California than a state where they have a lot of tornadoes. With an earthquake, it's happens suddenly and it's over quickly. With a tornado, you often don't know where it is and you're nervously awaiting the "all-clear" announcement. It's the waiting that would drive me nuts.
Difference is most of Florida's tornadoes are weaker. Many of them are part of hurricanes, where weak tornadoes will spin up quickly and die quickly.

Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas are where the supercell monsters happen more than anywhere in the world. Now, they're still exceedingly rare, but they often happen somewhere in the area.

Now, Florida IS the lighting king. They have more than anyone.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:33 pm Difference is most of Florida's tornadoes are weaker. Many of them are part of hurricanes, where weak tornadoes will spin up quickly and die quickly.

Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas are where the supercell monsters happen more than anywhere in the world. Now, they're still exceedingly rare, but they often happen somewhere in the area.

Now, Florida IS the lighting king. They have more than anyone.
I was stationed in the Panhandle of Florida by Fort Walton Beach. We had one tornado on the ground alert while I was there and that was on the way home from work. The radio said it was a couple of miles from where I lived and looking at the sky it was cloudy but not like the clouds where tornadoes form. I continued on home and there was no mention of the "tornado" in the newspaper or TV news.

While at technical school at Sheppard AFB in 1975, there was a storm brewing and a bunch of us went outside to look at the sky in the early evening. The clouds looked like they water bubbling upside down. That is, you could see a bubble of the cloud pushing it's way downward but it didn't have enough energy to turn into a tornado. We watch this happen for about a half-hour and then went indoors.

As for lightening, I can believe it that Florida has the most lightening strikes. I think it's more along their East Coast where they occur. I don't mind hearing thunder and seeing lightening. I tend to sleep better during a thunder storm.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

Context.

“ This week, Congress will vote on providing needed emergency money for Hurricane Harvey, which impacted so many people across Texas. I sympathize with everyone impacted, including many members of my own family (my parents and siblings live outside Houston).

I absolutely want to make sure their needs are met, and that we take care of people. But I also know that we are $20 trillion in debt and climbing, with no sign of letting up.

So, I have proposed a simple, “America First,” fiscally responsible solution: we should pay for the emergency funds with cuts from elsewhere, specifically money we send overseas to foreign countries.

One of the things I and many other Americans liked about candidate Donald Trump was his America First policy. He talked often about building here instead of in Pakistan and Afghanistan. We send tens of billions overseas every year in aid, and we have spent trillions fighting and nation-building in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Instead of continuing that, let’s take a portion of that money and spend it here to help the victims of this great disaster.“

https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog ... funds-with