Punch thrown over desire to continue to be racist with HS mascot

News and events of the day
Libertas

Punch thrown over desire to continue to be racist with HS mascot

Post by Libertas »

When I saw this at DU I had to find out what the debate was, and of course, some trumper wanted to continue to use NA racist names and a tomahawk mascot. I call him a trumper because I am willing to bet $20 that the pro tomahawk person is a trumper...duh

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/h ... 70l2BdJV2g

A little over a year ago, the school board voted 7 to 1 to remove the Tomahawk logo and name from Glastonbury High School. But a petition circulated by people in the community has forced the BOE to reexamine the decision.

Hundreds signed the petition claiming they “were not afforded the opportunity to provide meaningful input in-person” on the mascot name throughout the pandemic.

Right now the students are called the Glastonbury Guardians, a name that was voted on by the students. Bookman said it did not cost much to switch the Tomahawk logo over to the new one, which was designed by students as well.

Like parents, athletes have different opinions about what they wear on their jerseys.

“It’s kind of almost honoring the locals that used to live here and I don’t know if anyone else is complaining,” said sophomore Daniel Gorenbeyn. “I’ve heard from a lot of people and no one was really complaining about it.”

“I don’t really think it’s our place to decide the native culture and if we should have the Tomahawk as our logo or not,” said sophomore Jack Watson.
Understand that in situations like this it NEVER has anything to do with the issue from a physical standpoint unless the pro tomahawk crowd/assholes/trumpers/racists also own a store that sells tomahawk mascot merch. It is only about wanting to continue racism anywhere they can.
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Re: Punch thrown over desire to continue to be racist with HS mascot

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:36 pmIt is only about wanting to continue racism anywhere they can.
And using public schools to do it. This was another excuse to assault a school board member.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

It's always the same crap ...

Our caricatures and stereotypes of Native people are "honoring" them ... somehow. :roll:

Honoring the people "that used to live here" ... well btw some still are but ever wonder why they "used to" ... ?

People chant cries & "war whoops" that come out of B-list Hollywood movies & nowhere else ... have nothing to do with real Native cultures ... and "tomahawk chop" (the Powhatans and others used them as both tools and weapons) ... this is "honoring" I guess.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:15 am It's always the same crap ...

Our caricatures and stereotypes of Native people are "honoring" them ... somehow. :roll:

Honoring the people "that used to live here" ... well btw some still are but ever wonder why they "used to" ... ?

People chant cries & "war whoops" that come out of B-list Hollywood movies & nowhere else ... have nothing to do with real Native cultures ... and "tomahawk chop" (the Powhatans and others used them as both tools and weapons) ... this is "honoring" I guess.
Yes, I’m honoring you until the minute you dissent.

Then the gloves come off.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells