Biden's State of the Union

News and events of the day
Number6

Biden's State of the Union

Post by Number6 »

President Biden will be giving his State of the Union address tonight. With Russia invading Ukraine, it will be interesting to see how republicans will react when Biden spells out the actions the U.S. and the World has take against Russia.
Last edited by Number6 on Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Libertas

Re: Biden's State of the Union

Post by Libertas »

35% approval rating with the most productive first year presidency possibly in history...America is broken.
I sigh in your general direction.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

On Ukraine, Biden said: "Throughout our history we've learned this lesson - when dictators do not pay a price for their aggression, they cause more chaos. They keep moving. And, the costs and threats to America and the world keep rising."

"Putin's war was premeditated and unprovoked. He rejected repeated efforts at diplomacy. He thought the West and NATO wouldn't respond. And, he thought he could divide us here at home. He thought he could divide us in Europe. Putin was wrong. We were ready."
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

FOr the first time ever I guess the cons didnt show up

They hate America and support Russia so it makes sense

Punks, I cant get angrier...GOP ultimate proof that they are not Americans.

CROSS THE STREET if you see one coming at you, they are DANGEROUS :evil:
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:17 pm FOr the first time ever I guess the cons didnt show up

They hate America and support Russia so it makes sense

Punks, I cant get angrier...GOP ultimate proof that they are not Americans.

CROSS THE STREET if you see one coming at you, they are DANGEROUS :evil:
There are a lot of empty seats that were assigned to republicans. If the republicans are afraid of listening to Joe Biden give a State of the Union speech how are they going to stand up to Putin?

MSNBC reported little Marco Rubio wouldn't be there because it required a COVID test and he didn't have time for taking the test. The test takes less than 15 minute from swab to results.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

He's talking about passing the infrastructure bill and that it's time to stop talking about infrastructure week and start talking about the infrastructure decade.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:25 pm He's talking about passing the infrastructure bill and that it's time to stop talking about infrastructure week and start talking about the infrastructure decade.
GOP support Putin so it makes sense they are not there. Heard a poll only 3% of trump voters prefer Biden over Putin.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

When members of Congress started chanting "USA, USA, USA" need I say which party was sitting on their hand with their mouth closed?
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:34 pm When members of Congress started chanting "USA, USA, USA" need I say which party was sitting on their hand with their mouth closed?
Of course, it wasnt an exaggeration when I said SIX YEARS ago

GOP prefers KGB to USA

BTW this reminds me of how much I fucking HATE Manchin...that FUCK
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Number6

Post by Number6 »

I liked it when Biden said he's a capitalist and capitalism without competition is exploitation. True words.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

I'll make a bet with everyone here. I bet Nancy Pelosi won't tear up the State of the Union address like she did last year.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:00 pm I'll make a bet with everyone here. I bet Nancy Pelosi won't tear up the State of the Union address like she did last year.
:lol:
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Biden proposes a Unity Agenda consisting of:

1. Beating the opioid epidemic.

2. Take on mental health.

3. Support our veterans.

4. End cancer.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Here's a link to the text of Biden's State of the Union.

https://www.rawstory.com/joe-biden-sotu-2022/[url][/url]
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Boebert that VILE PIG yelled out that Biden put 13 Americans in flag draped coffins right when president Biden mentioned his son.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7z2MTqDon4
Michigan Rep. Rashida Tlaib delivers progressive response to the State of the Union
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Number6 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:10 pm 1. Beating the opioid epidemic.
AND he has a better strategy than putting Kellyanne Conway in charge of it.
4. End cancer.
Yeah. I'd love to see it happen. Michael Moorcock wrote a novel called The Cure for Cancer back in the 70s IIRC. It's a holy grail.

Dunno. "Cancer" is more than one thing that we kinda lump under one label, and I doubt we will ever be able to cure it.

That said, since I watched my Mom die from it, I'd love the Cancer Moonshot to produce new treatments, which I think it will.

So much he said during the speech should have bipartisan support, including support for Ukraine. Of course, I'm crazy enough to think BBB and voting rights would have bipartisan support from a rational opposition party. :D

Polling said independents really liked the speech. Republicans - well, what would you expect?

BTW: Manchin sat with the Republicans. Like Randi Rhodes said, "When they tell you who they are ... believe them" ...

In a world where people paid attention to reality, I'd think those low approval numbers would budge over the next few weeks. Hope springs eternal.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I've moved on from the drumpf era. The central fact of the new era is that, were drumpf still president, Ukraine would now be a fully controlled member of the Russian Federation, with thousands of people being rounded up by secret police and never being seen again. All the shortages that the Republicans so bemoan would still exist, and probably would be worse, but Nooz would say it's all in your head. The inflation "cure" would be to defund local programs and let cities deteriorate even faster than they are already. The covid cure would be to reluctantly vaccinate those who could afford $300 shots, and tell everyone else to either ignore it or drink bleach.

We don't need this shit. Those who hate politics and believe the dumbest ideas will do what they do. We can't pound sense into them. The best thing is to ignore them, but we probably won't be very good at that either since they're such sexy media.

Leftists have moved on from the idea of controlling the means of production. Right now I'd be happy with even a modicum of control over the means of propaganda. Not censorship, just new ideas with the goal of making "fair and balanced" more than a fake slogan used by one of the more unfair and unbalanced outlets. Absent this, we aren't really all that much better than Putin's Russia, which after all is admired by most purveyors of sexy unfair and unbalanced Nooz.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Getting back on topic, I had far fewer problems with the speech than I usually have with these. Biden doesn't have to prove his balls in the Ukraine situation. He's got them. He's the first true "leader of the free world" in quite some time.

The rest was kind of the usual summary of accomplishments, which is always a short one in our current anarchic mosh pit we call a legislature. Then came the usual laundry list of next year's legislative initiatives, which invariably go to a similarly ambiguous fate.

For sure it was better than the ramblings that passed for policy in TFG's administration. That was less a laundry list than the disconnected churnings of a very, very small mind.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:58 am Getting back on topic, I had far fewer problems with the speech than I usually have with these. Biden doesn't have to prove his balls in the Ukraine situation. He's got them. He's the first true "leader of the free world" in quite some time.
It's easy to put together a coalition of the world when you've been attacked, like with 9/11, and it's even harder to do it when it's a non-NATO country under attack. Biden has gotten dozens of countries, including most of Europe and the developed world, to impose harsh sanctions on Putin and his oligarchs.
The rest was kind of the usual summary of accomplishments, which is always a short one in our current anarchic mosh pit we call a legislature. Then came the usual laundry list of next year's legislative initiatives, which invariably go to a similarly ambiguous fate.
This is a election year and the party holding the White House tends to lose seats in Congress so what Biden was doing was going on the offensive to blunt republican talking points. One of the issues republicans often turn to is rising crime numbers which is why Biden spoke about not defunding the police but funding them. He's trying to turn the narrative around on their lies.
For sure it was better than the ramblings that passed for policy in TFG's administration. That was less a laundry list than the disconnected churnings of a very, very small mind.
republican try to make Biden look like he's a doddering old man who can't remember where he is but Biden showed he's sharp. Yeah, he read a speech but if anyone's ever given a speech you know you have to know the speech in the your head with your notes in front of you or, in Biden's case, on the teleprompter.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Republicans never had any trouble with delivery issues when it was their mentally incompetent personality-disordered NYC gangster up there giving his rambling and inconsequential speeches. I can't take any of this Biden-bashing seriously. After TFG, it's refreshing actually having a president again, let alone one who has the background and experience to be an effective leader despite a totally dysfunctional legislative branch and a conservative ideologically motivated SCOTUS.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:04 pm Republicans never had any trouble with delivery issues when it was their mentally incompetent personality-disordered NYC gangster up there giving his rambling and inconsequential speeches. I can't take any of this Biden-bashing seriously. After TFG, it's refreshing actually having a president again, let alone one who has the background and experience to be an effective leader despite a totally dysfunctional legislative branch and a conservative ideologically motivated SCOTUS.
republicans love to hear gibberish and have a hard time processing well-thought out sentences which is why they tend to speak in bumper sticker phrases than complete thoughts.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Number6 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:57 pm It's easy to put together a coalition of the world when you've been attacked, like with 9/11, and it's even harder to do it when it's a non-NATO country under attack. Biden has gotten dozens of countries, including most of Europe and the developed world, to impose harsh sanctions on Putin and his oligarchs.

This is a election year and the party holding the White House tends to lose seats in Congress so what Biden was doing was going on the offensive to blunt republican talking points. One of the issues republicans often turn to is rising crime numbers which is why Biden spoke about not defunding the police but funding them. He's trying to turn the narrative around on their lies.

republican try to make Biden look like he's a doddering old man who can't remember where he is but Biden showed he's sharp. Yeah, he read a speech but if anyone's ever given a speech you know you have to know the speech in the your head with your notes in front of you or, in Biden's case, on the teleprompter.
Talking about adding funding to an already overfunded militarized police awash in record number of violent deadly unnecessary killings could lose votes as its a deadly serious issue.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Being the first principles kind of guy I am, before we talk about solutions to problems, we ought to discuss the "reality" of the "problem".

https://thehill.com/policy/national-sec ... e-pandemic

Still, while violent crime has increased in the pandemic, its levels remain nowhere near those seen in the 1980s and 1990s.

The FBI’s crime data shows that violent crime peaked around 1991 at a rate of around 758 violent crimes per 100,000 people. A decade later, that rate fell sharply to around 504, and in 2011, it was down to about 387.

While the FBI’s data is currently only provided through 2020, violent crime rates jumped to nearly 400 that year, up from around 380 in 2019.

[snip][end]

They are still crunching the violent crime data for 2021, but some data seems to suggest it's not continuing to grow, and in any case, we are still nowhere near the height of the early 90s.

But whatever. Politicians gonna politician. Kiss babies, put a chicken in every pot, and say they're gonna be tough on crime. You come to expect it.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D