'Doomsday' Submarine Delivered to Russian Navy Capable of Launching Nuclear Torpedoes Clare Fitzgerald - Yesterday 11:25

News and events of the day
Libertas

'Doomsday' Submarine Delivered to Russian Navy Capable of Launching Nuclear Torpedoes Clare Fitzgerald - Yesterday 11:25

Post by Libertas »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/do ... ar-AAZxTaF

The Russian Navy has commissioned a modified version of the Soviet-produced Oscar II-class guided-cruise missile submarine. Dubbed by many as an advanced "doomsday" vessel, it's capable of launching the Poseidon nuclear torpedo, which is armed with a warhead of up to 100 megatons.

Exciting news for trump, MAGA and most of the GOP including those here, I suppose.

The idea that they can all go behind closed doors with the KGB (like trump did while mocking the US Press) and plot our destruction with this submarine, is thrilling to them.

Go ahead, con, admit you would rather be Russian than liberal...
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Re: 'Doomsday' Submarine Delivered to Russian Navy Capable of Launching Nuclear Torpedoes Clare Fitzgerald - Yesterday 1

Post by ZoWie »

A 100 megaton warhead requires a tank of heavy hydrogen with a fission bomb at either end. The only device ever built that could hold enough fusion material to make that big a bang was the size of the Oscar Mayer weenie mobile. I don't know how much smaller you could practically make it with newer technology, since all that stuff's classified.

More to the point was that they shot it off at only 50 MT and it still made enough problems worldwide to make it clear that some of the casualties would be on your own side.

A nuclear torpedo sounds more like a theater tactical weapon. Both sides already have them... I think. The Poseidon sounds more like the US sea launched ballistic missile that replaced the Polaris. The current nuclear sub is already a doomsday machine. It carries more firepower than all of WWII put together, including the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nukes. Its mission is to ensure Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD).

Everyone on our old street when I was a kid worked for Rand. They were very gloomy people. They thought the unthinkable for a living.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22