This is how they will end America, you heard it here first.

News and events of the day
Libertas

This is how they will end America, you heard it here first.

Post by Libertas »

https://twitter.com/BrennanCenter/statu ... rHglqUKCuw

What exactly is the “independent state legislature theory” and how will it affect your right to vote? Our new explainer video has the answers. Watch now:
Board cons know they cant win without unconstitutional gerrymandering and eliminating voting, so they are going to do both. Count on it.

Reading the responses on Twitter turns out the House does have the power to overrule the fascist nazis in red states, but if the gop wins the House or steals it...bye bye.
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Re: This is how they will end America, you heard it here first.

Post by ZoWie »

No one group will end America. SCOTUS can't end America, they can only undo 75 years of progress. If America does "end," it's because America ended itself due to greed in some factions and apathy in others. Right now I'd put the odds of that happening close to 50-50.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:57 am No one group will end America. SCOTUS can't end America, they can only undo 75 years of progress. If America does "end," it's because America ended itself due to greed in some factions and apathy in others. Right now I'd put the odds of that happening close to 50-50.
If the SC Allows what is talked about in this article, America is done. I dont know what is left standing, but our Republic and Democracy is done.

https://www.brennancenter.org/issues/de ... ure-theory
The “inde­pend­ent state legis­lature theory” is a misread­ing of the Consti­tu­tion, advanced in recent years by a small group of right-wing advoc­ates, that would give state legis­latures wide author­ity to gerrymander elect­oral maps and pass voter suppres­sion laws. It has even been used as polit­ical cover to try to over­turn elec­tions. At its core, the theory challenges longstanding checks and balances on state legislatures when they make laws for federal elections. The danger that this unorthodox theory poses has risen in recent years as several sitting justices of the Supreme Court have voiced their interest in making it the new law of the land.

But there’s still time to protect our elections. The Brennan Center is mobilizing to block this threat through a combination of litigation and communications projects designed to shore up the legal protections for fair elections and fair maps.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

SCOTUS can only reverse its previous decisions that took the country out of the Middle Ages on things like true equality, full voting rights, and control by women over their own bodies. It can put the country back into the 1920s, and as before it will vary from state to state. However drumpf and his true believers from the growing ranks of the disaffected veterans and wannabe militia types can put it back in more like 1790.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:07 pm SCOTUS can only reverse its previous decisions that took the country out of the Middle Ages on things like true equality, full voting rights, and control by women over their own bodies. It can put the country back into the 1920s, and as before it will vary from state to state. However drumpf and his true believers from the growing ranks of the disaffected veterans and wannabe militia types can put it back in more like 1790.
Did you read the article from Brennan? I know I am usually making broad statements about everything being over, but this is a specific case.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

There's no argument that specific cases can make America look as if it is no longer America, in that specific matter.