Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:43 pm 
Policy Wonk

Alternet - Editorial: Google's Threat to Democracy Hits AlterNet Hard

The story we are sharing with you is very disconcerting for independent media and America’s future, and frankly unprecedented in AlterNet’s history.

https://www.alternet.org/media/editoria ... ernet-hard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:02 am 
Board Emeritus

Alternet never did show up on my Google news index, personal surfing choices also affects the Google news algorithm. I don't click on sources which show such an extreme left bias, so after a while Google stopped showing their stories to me.

They don't show me the extreme right bias sites stories either.

I looked at the Hazen story at the link, and then I looked Alternet up a Wikipedia.

Hazen says:

Quote:
But little did we know that Google had decided, perhaps with bad advice or wrong-headed thinking, that media like AlterNet—dedicated to fighting white supremacy, misogyny, racism, Donald Trump, and fake news—would be clobbered by Google in its clumsy attempt to address hate speech and fake news.

The Numbers Are Striking

We have had consistent search traffic averaging 2.7 million unique visitors a month, over the past two and a half years. (Search traffic makes up 30-40 percent of AlterNet's overall traffic.) But since the June Google announcement, AlterNet’s search traffic has plummeted by 40 percent—a loss of an average of 1.2 million people every month who are no longer reading AlterNet stories.

Wikipedia says:

"Launched in 1998, AlterNet claims a readership of over 5.9 million visitors per month, though the web ratings service Quantcast estimates that it receives 1.3 million."

Sounds like Hazen has dropped the claim that they had 5.9 million visitors per month, down to 2.7 million visitors a month, to then claim that Google has caused their visitor count to further decline by 1.2 million people every month.

I did the math 2.7 minus 1.2 equals 1.5 million visitors per month. That's still two hundred thousand more visitors per month than Quantcast estimated they ever had.

I have read some of their articles here, occasionally someone posts one here. From my limited experience in having read what I have, I don't feel they're credible as a news source. Case in point today, I found information which calls the claims made in the OP article into question.

Since I came to that conclusion prior to Google doing so I would tend to go with Google's assessment of them if that claim about Google is true.

That's the rub, I don't know if Alternet's claim about Google shunning them as fake or undesirable news is true. Alternet burned that trusted source bridge with me long ago.

The media bias fact check site I sometimes use rates Alternet as having an extreme bias, and their accuracy in reporting as mixed. Not quite fake news, but about as low as that fact check site goes before they put a site on the questionable sources list.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/alternet/

I don't give them a rating of "fake news" either, not like they're fake all the time, but I choose to read my news somewhere else because I don't want to bother to sort it out story by story.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:15 am 
Policy Wonk

I don't know about you, but I don't want Google telling me what news to read. I want it all, even access to Fox.

It is suppose to be a search engine. They aren't endorsing what I want to look for. Fake News comes out of Trump's mouth non-stop.

Companies like Facebook and other websites, even news wesite have advertisers that they won't endorse. They should not accept advertiser's money without checking their credibility. It is a poor reflection on these news sites that throw garbage all over the page. That is a real problem with news sites especially when the ads look like news stories. I don't go to Facebook because it is filled with garbage which is of no interest to me and keep me skimming looking for my friends messages.

Last edited by TheFox on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't know about you, but I don't want Google telling me what news to read. I want it all, even access to Fox.

It is suppose to be a search engine. They aren't endorsing what I want to look for. Fake News comes out of Trump's mouth non-stop.

Companies like Facebook and other websites, even news wesite have advertisers that they won't endorse. They should not accept advertiser's money without checking their credibility. It is a poor reflection on these news sites that throw garbage all over the page. That is a real problem with news sites especially when the ads look like news stories. I don't go to Facebook because it is filled with garbage I which is of no interest to me and keep me skimming looking for my friends messages.

Google doesn't tell you what to read. You're capable of bookmarking and then reading any site you want, as often as you want.

If you want to call it news, you may.

I don't consider Alternet to be news, they are the official organ for a think tank. I don't consider the opinion farm, (moo), at Fox to be news either. Or the MSNBC opinion mill.

Google news is just a news index, there are several.