PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:11 pm 
Policy Wonk

Yes!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:17 pm 

Good stuff, Earthy! <3

thank you! i think i'm getting better. i also made these:

Attachments:
23795592_150801318979315_2998849204899045494_n.jpg
23795592_150801318979315_2998849204899045494_n.jpg [ 47.4 KiB | Viewed 549 times ]
rollerball-t_orangeab.jpg
rollerball-t_orangeab.jpg [ 168.67 KiB | Viewed 549 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:19 pm 
Policy Wonk

Yups! Very good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:19 pm 

and this.

Attachments:
1agaywbonspursabc.jpg
1agaywbonspursabc.jpg [ 156.29 KiB | Viewed 548 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:54 pm 
Policy Wonk

Many sides. "Fine people." :ugeek: :shock: :?

Attachments:
Many Sides.jpg
Many Sides.jpg [ 180.96 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:16 pm 

Many sides. "Fine people." :ugeek: :shock: :?

i've only just begun with trump. 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:47 am 

i got inspired by something i had looked at from Betty Bowers:

Attachments:
birds2.jpg
birds2.jpg [ 189.95 KiB | Viewed 474 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:41 pm 
Policy Wonk

+++

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:40 pm 

the current conservative rumor mill states that net neutrality is communism. how fucking stupid do these people have to be?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have a better analogy. Net Neutrality rules are based on one of the earliest precepts of the FCC - Universal Service.

Back in the day, when landlines were what everybody had, the FCC essentially said that if you could afford a phone line, you could not be offered a variance in quality based on your ability to pay, regardless of whether you lived in a rural area or a dense urban one. Basically, the phone company (originally there was only one, Ma Bell) wanted to say - OK, if you can pay $10 a month, you get a phone line. Granted, it will sound like you're talking to the other person over a tin can with wires and you'll barely be able to hear each other. But if you can pay $100 a month, then you'll get a GOOD phone line with GOOD audio quality on both sides. Now the point is, people can pay for different services, Caller ID, call forwarding, etc. The one thing that is not supposed to be affected by your ability to pay is the basic audio quality of your phone calls, regardless of where you live, or what you can afford.

It's the same deal with Net Neutrality. I can't give your neighbor an excellent connection to the Internet in terms of basic quality, but you a crappy unreliable one because you can't afford it. This does not mean I can't offer people different levels of data bandwidth or throughput. It does not mean we give everybody a free connection to the Internet, either. But the point is, once we offer everybody ISP accounts, everybody has to at least have the same level of basic, non-shitty connection to the net. I can't give my lowest rate payers an absolutely slow, unreliable connection. Net Neutrality = Universal Service.

It's not communism - but then, of course, the Right rarely gets such subtle distinctions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:22 pm 

I have a better analogy. Net Neutrality rules are based on one of the earliest precepts of the FCC - Universal Service.

Back in the day, when landlines were what everybody had, the FCC essentially said that if you could afford a phone line, you could not be offered a variance in quality based on your ability to pay, regardless of whether you lived in a rural area or a dense urban one. Basically, the phone company (originally there was only one, Ma Bell) wanted to say - OK, if you can pay $10 a month, you get a phone line. Granted, it will sound like you're talking to the other person over a tin can with wires and you'll barely be able to hear each other. But if you can pay $100 a month, then you'll get a GOOD phone line with GOOD audio quality on both sides. Now the point is, people can pay for different services, Caller ID, call forwarding, etc. The one thing that is not supposed to be affected by your ability to pay is the basic audio quality of your phone calls, regardless of where you live, or what you can afford.

It's the same deal with Net Neutrality. I can't give your neighbor an excellent connection to the Internet in terms of basic quality, but you a crappy unreliable one because you can't afford it. This does not mean I can't offer people different levels of data bandwidth or throughput. It does not mean we give everybody a free connection to the Internet, either. But the point is, once we offer everybody ISP accounts, everybody has to at least have the same level of basic, non-shitty connection to the net. I can't give my lowest rate payers an absolutely slow, unreliable connection. Net Neutrality = Universal Service.

It's not communism - but then, of course, the Right rarely gets such subtle distinctions.

who do they actually think this will effect? THEM AS WELL, plus what truly raises my hackles here? they're creating a loophole for limiting information to everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:25 pm 

who do they actually think this will effect? THEM AS WELL, plus what truly raises my hackles here? they're creating a loophole for limiting information to everyone.

i know you remember our battle tested dumbya years. organizing, petitions, here call your senator and or congressman. then election season campaigning in 2008. the web was a huge tool for that. with what they are proposing, a movement like that would be null.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:25 pm 

that's my gut instinct anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

You want a nice talking point slogan. Net Neutrality literally means the Internet has to treat everyone fairly and equally. Not one set of rules and standards for the wealthy and big corporations, and another for the average ISP user.

That's not communism. That's USAism. :D

Yes, if Net Neutrality ends, almost everybody in the U.S. who uses the Internet - and that's just about everybody - will be affected. Some who can afford it will see greater data throughput, but most, in the tradeoff that comes from paid data prioritization, will see less.

And here's the slippery slope. No Net Neutrality, Microsoft will send data packets at blazing speeds to all their offerings. But that website critical of Microsoft, microshaftsucks.com, or whatever, well, they will slow down data packets from it so that just about every user gets a 404 error. This will lead to ISPs essentially being given carte blanche to silence their online critics. It will lead to an effective kind of censorship... something Larry Lessig has argued, I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:55 pm 

You want a nice talking point slogan. Net Neutrality literally means the Internet has to treat everyone fairly and equally. Not one set of rules and standards for the wealthy and big corporations, and another for the average ISP user.

That's not communism. That's USAism. :D

Yes, if Net Neutrality ends, almost everybody in the U.S. who uses the Internet - and that's just about everybody - will be affected. Some who can afford it will see greater data throughput, but most, in the tradeoff that comes from paid data prioritization, will see less.

And here's the slippery slope. No Net Neutrality, Microsoft will send data packets at blazing speeds to all their offerings. But that website critical of Microsoft, microshaftsucks.com, or whatever, well, they will slow down data packets from it so that just about every user gets a 404 error. This will lead to ISPs essentially being given carte blanche to silence their online critics. It will lead to an effective kind of censorship... something Larry Lessig has argued, I believe.

hence "have we learned nothing from the corporate wars"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Here's my message to Ajit on Net Neutrality.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

hence "have we learned nothing from the corporate wars"

oh everyones learned and the 2% have learned how to pass by the laws again
meanwhile the people have learned wallst can keep ripping them off with impunity
and "law" has No recourse.

we've all learnt.

the winner is...."We didn't mean to".
Quote:
https://www.propublica.org/article/bank ... an-to?utm_
Bank of America’s Winning Excuse: We Didn’t Mean To

A federal appeals court overturned a $1.3 billion judgement against Bank of America, ruling that good intentions at the outset shield bankers from fines for subsequent fraud.

by Jesse Eisinger May 26, 2016

Quote:
rainwater » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:25 pm wrote:
this may have been the perfect coup d'etat. silent and deadly

citizens united let them make all the rules, now none of them get charged or jailed, no trials or
courtroom transcripts, all evidence behind closed doors of those in the industry.
then once deals are cut for hefty fines...the fines are dismissed.
basically theyve won everything....they cant be charged fined or made uncomfortable at
all or ever again.

why..id say thats a grand slam. Image

https://www.propublica.org/article/bank ... nt-mean-to
After this ruling, the government may be even less willing to fight it out in court. Worse, it may have less leverage with companies when trying to extract penalties and fines in settlement negotiations over misconduct allegations.
The court has provided companies with a new piece of ammunition: the ability to argue that their deliberate misconduct was not actually fraud.

you do good work, thanks. :)