Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Sam Seder Targeted
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

This is utter bullcrap. MSNBC is ending "ties" with Sam Seder. (I notice he often appears on the Chris Hayes program.)

https://www.mediaite.com/online/msnbc-r ... rape-joke/

Why? A ridiculous reaction to a tweet he sent in 2009, in which he clearly is using satire to criticize other people who felt Roman Polanski should be "forgiven" for underage rape. If you can't get what he said in 2009 was satire - you're a fool. Unless you think he's really advocating for his own daughter to be raped. Come on.

This is all the result of an alt-right campaign by Cernovich and Gorka ... Sam has discussed the original context of this tweet, and even if you didn't know it, it still should be fucking obvious he is satirizing supporters of Polanski.

It's at worst tasteless humor ... for that Seder should be let go from MSNBC?

Post subject: Re: Sam Seder Targeted
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:28 pm 
Policy Wonk

I blocked Cernovich and Gorka on Social Media these GOP clowns are never held accountable for their media actions & stupidity.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah I saw that. Right wing hit job, and possible anti-Semitism too. Nasty business, and MSNBC overreacted very badly. Some people are talking boycott, which is not what the sole remaining voice of the left needs right now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:49 am 
Board Emeritus

Good. All progressive voices should be off MSNBC and remain in their own domains. Why? They don't have to tow the corporate line. They corrupted Rachel Maddow, Chris Hayes, and Joy Reid. I'm not going to get into that here, but yeah, FUCK MSNBC.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

1) they're not just trying to get Sam Seder off MSNBC, though that's what happened; Cernovich and Gorka are trying to get Seder off the radio airwaves as well, and trying to get advertisers and sponsors to leave the program. It goes beyond just that.
2) I understand how you feel Rita, but I can't understand why people feel that way unless they explain it. I do not see how Rachel Maddow, Chris Hayes, or Joy Reid have become "corrupted."

As I don't see it, you will have to explain it to me so it makes sense. At the moment, it doesn't. P.S. this does NOT mean I don't see problems with the network they are on, or some of Phil Griffin's decisions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:53 am 
Policy Wonk

Good job public pressure.

MSNBC REVERSES DECISION TO FIRE CONTRIBUTOR SAM SEDER

PROGRESSIVE RADIO AND television personality Sam Seder will be offered his MSNBC contributor job back and plans to accept, according to multiple MSNBC sources.

https://theintercept.com/2017/12/07/sam ... sam-seder/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

Maybe they wanted to measure his listener support to figure out if they wanted to keep him around. The normal ratings don't tell the whole story because some people tune into a station and keep it there irrespective of the show which maybe playing at a certain hour. This way in threatening to take him off the air they get to find our how many people will complain without the stations or networks overall ratings clouding his true listener or viewer support.

Back in the Air America days I did that. My work truck had the radio on and tuned to Air America and it stayed there Irrespective of whether I actually like the show which was on, I liked most of them. Had Air America pitched Sam Seder I would have been pleased, it would have opened up a slot for someone else. I didn't like his long angry rants, I thought that kind of coverage of the issues was counter productive insofar are turning folks into Democrats and having their votes.

I don't know if I would like him now or not. I haven't heard him since Air America went under.

Has he changed?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Amazing! They did the right thing. Too bad Obama didn't do that with Shirley Sharrod.