RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

“Reality” TV Industry Steals $40 Million Annually from Writers / Producers, New Survey Finds

New York- A new survey released Monday by the Writers Guild of America, East (WGAE) challenged the glamorous perceptions of reality TV, revealing that writers and producers on TV’s most popular “reality” shows, including Pawn Stars, The First 48, Fatal Encounters, and Doomsday Preppers, are plagued by long hours and stolen wages, costing them $40 million annually, or $30,000 each, per year.

https://www.wgaeast.org/2013/11/%E2%80% ... vey-finds/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yep, "reality" TV is a joy for the thrifty/profit-hungry broadcasters/networks to produce. No actors to pay, and the writers usually get shafted.

Now, I bet you were saying ... what ... "reality" TV (which is supposed to be spontaneous "reality") has writers? Yep, everything on Survivor just, kinda, naturally, happens, and the cameras are just so lucky & ready to capture it. :mrgreen: Why no ... nothing is staged ... why do you ask? :D (This is one of the reasons I really like Truman Show.)

BTW, all of "professional" wrestling is "real" too. :roll:

And now we have the reality-TV president, lambasting "fake news". :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yep, "reality" TV is a joy for the thrifty/profit-hungry broadcasters/networks to produce. No actors to pay, and the writers usually get shafted.

Now, I bet you were saying ... what ... "reality" TV (which is supposed to be spontaneous "reality") has writers? Yep, everything on Survivor just, kinda, naturally, happens, and the cameras are just so lucky & ready to capture it. :mrgreen: Why no ... nothing is staged ... why do you ask? :D (This is one of the reasons I really like Truman Show.)

BTW, all of "professional" wrestling is "real" too. :roll:

And now we have the reality-TV president, lambasting "fake news". :roll:

Watching The Deadliest Catch they had an episode on how them make the show. The cameramen/producers (one could hold both jobs) does the filming, reviews the footage to determine if there's anything interesting to show, and uses the action to help write the story line for the episode/season. Once ashore, the footage and story line is reviewed/changed and the final product is ready for broadcasting.

On other reality shows, there are "cliffhangers" between commercials or shows to keep the viewers interest and the "cliffhanger" is usually a dud. Take all reality shows with a huge grain of salt. I watch Survivor and The Amazing Race and I know a lot of what happened on the shows never made it to air.