RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think it's the worst on cable. All the hype about cord-cutting obviously affects the ad buying, and probably it's been decreed that no one under 60 watches cable any more.

These decrees happen. The one that ruined the movie biz was right after the corporations finished buying up the studios, and they sent westward a lot of MBA types in suits to run things. The suits decreed that no one over 30 went to movie theaters. Not a soul. No one. Zero. In fact, they said, no one much over 20 saw very many movies at all.

Coulda fooled me. I must have been hallucinating at the movies. I think they got suckered by the situation in Westwood Village near UCLA. At the time, it had several big first-run theaters, and many young movie goers. It was not representative of the whole audience worldwide.

The situation is better now. They got over it. I won't say they completely cleaned up their act, but it's better. Now grosses are down for other reasons, like sequelitis.

The problem with cable TV is that the only things they know how to advertise to their illusory audience of decrepit old farts are pharmaceuticals, medical devices, that damn box you crap in, that ridiculous bathtub with the damn door, the I've Fallen And I Can't Get Up, and a cruise or two.

Only two countries in the world allow pharmaceuticals to advertise. I don't know who the other one is. I envy the other 200 or so that don't. I mean, really. How much fucking money do they spend hawking snake oil? No wonder the damn pills are $450 a pop.

This alone is enough for me not to watch very much TV live. Life is too short for, "Known side effects include convulsions, blindness, insanity, hit by bus, asteroid strikes Earth, bloating, fake news, and freak election as POTUS. If smoke issues from your ears, evacuate a 1500-foot perimeter and call a physician. Ask your doctor if DeathX is right for you."

I mean, really. Make it stop.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think it's the worst on cable. All the hype about cord-cutting obviously affects the ad buying, and probably it's been decreed that no one under 60 watches cable any more.

These decrees happen. The one that ruined the movie biz was right after the corporations finished buying up the studios, and they sent westward a lot of MBA types in suits to run things. The suits decreed that no one over 30 went to movie theaters. Not a soul. No one. Zero. In fact, they said, no one much over 20 saw very many movies at all.

Coulda fooled me. I must have been hallucinating at the movies. I think they got suckered by the situation in Westwood Village near UCLA. At the time, it had several big first-run theaters, and many young movie goers. It was not representative of the whole audience worldwide.

The situation is better now. They got over it. I won't say they completely cleaned up their act, but it's better. Now grosses are down for other reasons, like sequelitis.

The problem with cable TV is that the only things they know how to advertise to their illusory audience of decrepit old farts are pharmaceuticals, medical devices, that damn box you crap in, that ridiculous bathtub with the damn door, the I've Fallen And I Can't Get Up, and a cruise or two.

Only two countries in the world allow pharmaceuticals to advertise. I don't know who the other one is. I envy the other 200 or so that don't. I mean, really. How much fucking money do they spend hawking snake oil? No wonder the damn pills are $450 a pop.

This alone is enough for me not to watch very much TV live. Life is too short for, "Known side effects include convulsions, blindness, insanity, hit by bus, asteroid strikes Earth, bloating, fake news, and freak election as POTUS. If smoke issues from your ears, evacuate a 1500-foot perimeter and call a physician. Ask your doctor if DeathX is right for you."

It the suits thought movies were dead then maybe they should contact the colleges they got their MBA from and ask for a refund. Movies last year raked in nearly $11 billion dollars.

As for the advertising on cable to us old farts, I'm of the Baby Boomer generation, retired, and we're the ones with enough money so who do you think target audiences are. In reality, the advertising is aimed at the channels and programs older people watch so the questions is if you don't like the advertising aimed at old people why are you watching their channels and programs? :rw)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

Quote:

SERIOUSLY.

i do think those younger than say 40 DONT WATCH TV AND FOR GOOD REASONS.
its total violent garbage with 90% of the ads about drugs that Will kill you so take them and
stop complaining: we're selling you drugs THAT WILL KILL YOU but we'll distract THAT FACT
with all the "opioid" epidemic bullshit.

https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/
Additional Facts About Suicide in the US
The annual age-adjusted suicide rate is 13.5 per 100,000 individuals.
Men die by suicide 3.57x more often than women.
On average, there are 123 suicides per day.
White males accounted for 7 of 10 suicides in 2016.
Firearms account for 51% of all suicides.
The rate of suicide is highest in middle age — white men in particular.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/282929.php
The top 10 leading causes of death in the U.S.:
Heart disease
Cancer (malignant neoplasms)
Chronic lower respiratory disease
Accidents (unintentional injuries)
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases)
Alzheimer's disease
Diabetes
Influenza and pneumonia
Kidney disease (nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis)
Suicide

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/usa- ... and-gender

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... cal-errors
Medical Errors Are No. 3 Cause Of U.S Deaths, Researchers Say
May 3, 2016
The authors, led by Johns Hopkins surgeon Dr. Martin Makary, call for changes in death certificates to better tabulate fatal lapses in care. In an open letter, they urge the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to immediately add medical errors to its annual list reporting the top causes of death.
Based on an analysis of prior research, the Johns Hopkins study estimates that more than 250,000
Americans die each year from medical errors.

but hey, fuck the injured veterans who got fucked up de-fending this miserable lying cheating country
and all its wealthy pols.
...who BTW can get meds AnyTime They Want.
...anyone piss testing congress?

yah i didnt think so.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

SERIOUSLY.

i do think those younger than say 40 DONT WATCH TV AND FOR GOOD REASONS.
its total violent garbage with 90% of the ads about drugs that Will kill you so take them and
stop complaining: we're selling you drugs THAT WILL KILL YOU but we'll distract THAT FACT
with all the "opioid" epidemic bullshit.

https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/
Additional Facts About Suicide in the US
The annual age-adjusted suicide rate is 13.5 per 100,000 individuals.
Men die by suicide 3.57x more often than women.
On average, there are 123 suicides per day.
White males accounted for 7 of 10 suicides in 2016.
Firearms account for 51% of all suicides.
The rate of suicide is highest in middle age — white men in particular.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/282929.php
The top 10 leading causes of death in the U.S.:
Heart disease
Cancer (malignant neoplasms)
Chronic lower respiratory disease
Accidents (unintentional injuries)
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases)
Alzheimer's disease
Diabetes
Influenza and pneumonia
Kidney disease (nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis)
Suicide

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/usa- ... and-gender

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... cal-errors
Medical Errors Are No. 3 Cause Of U.S Deaths, Researchers Say
May 3, 2016
The authors, led by Johns Hopkins surgeon Dr. Martin Makary, call for changes in death certificates to better tabulate fatal lapses in care. In an open letter, they urge the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to immediately add medical errors to its annual list reporting the top causes of death.
Based on an analysis of prior research, the Johns Hopkins study estimates that more than 250,000
Americans die each year from medical errors.

but hey, fuck the injured veterans who got fucked up de-fending this miserable lying cheating country
and all its wealthy pols.
...who BTW can get meds AnyTime They Want.
...anyone piss testing congress?

yah i didnt think so.

Check out Michael Lewis's "The Undoing project". In it Amos Tversky and Daniel Kahneman did tests that showed doctors when given x-rays showing possible tumors would change their diagnosis depending upon framing and such. Doctors are not gods. Legislators are not statesmen. Actors, athletes are not heroes.

This country is emotionally stunted.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ask your doctor if (fill-in-the-blank) is right for you. And hopefully they say "NO, you fucking idiot, Quit thinking you have symptoms for every medication pushed on TV." It isn't as I noted in the other post that doctors are gods. It is that they are trained and we are not.Ask questions of your healthcare provider? Definitely. Listen to what the idiot box says about medications with their paid actor spokespersons? Not just no, but fuck no.

And ZoWie? Don't forget about the over fifty and so-called elite dating services.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:26 pm 
Policy Wonk

I dunno. I think I may be hallucinating, I should check out those (fill in the blank) pills.

I think of a lot of famous lines:

Shopper beware.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Getting me started on commercials is not a good idea.

I'll repeat what I posted long ago: I remember being shocked, I mean shocked, to learn that people could lie on TV. Being raised in a Christian home, being slightly dishonest was unthinkable.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

My brother (the MD) always says when people ask him about "drug X," he usually tells them about the cheaper generic alternative that's just as good, but doesn't advertise on TV.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:52 pm 
Policy Wonk

yea the pharmaceutical advertising of prescription brand name drugs is pretty awful and should be banned, fooling people into craving some prescription is rather dastardly. what I notice about commercials of the present versus the past is that in the past they could be mild and enjoyable even but nowadays they are mostly aggressive and forceful in grabbing and holding your attention to such a degree that its better to turn them off altogether.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

to me the most bizarre thing with this epidemic of chronic acute TV pushing of big pharma "drugs" is the
open of the ad About 'the drug' theyre shopping to viewer. telling what its "for" is 1/10 as long
as the ongoing unrelenting list of the ways it can harm and/or kill the person using it.
if im forced --hands are tied by a bank robber--to listen to one of these ads by the time theyre done telling
me how it will kill me ive NO idea what the drug was for at the start.

leading me to wonder....why do they want to kill me?...wait...they want ME to kill ME using Their Drug of choice.
oh now i get it!
especially when you know kids dont watch this tv shit, just their parents and grandparents do.

makes me wonder where fentanyl came from. smh.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Zowie, unplug it.