RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

I would tend to agree. Let's get someone this time who is actually interested in getting out a respectable newspaper instead of leveraging upside assets or whatever the business jargon is this year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... -l-a-times

Quote:
“Investors are saying that the Los Angeles Times is their [Tronc's -Z] diamond, and if someone who wants it comes in and offers a premium over the Gannett offer, they are going to have to take it. There is no way they say no to a $25 a share offer,” Jacome concluded.

I think that’s right, which is why Tronc’s otherwise inexplicably high stock price gives me hope. As I’ve written before, the nation badly needs a revived Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles is America’s second largest city, important culturally, economically and politically. And it’s not just an L.A. issue; the country needs a paper that can offer a West Coast alternative to the perspective offered by the New York Times and the Washington Post.

But it’s never going to happen so long as it’s owned by Tronc, which lacks the talent, the resources, the leadership, the patience and the imagination to produce a great newspaper. Under Ferro, the only thing it knows how to do is cut.

To put it another way, the Los Angeles Times needs what the Washington Post has in Jeff Bezos: a deep-pocketed savior who cares about serious journalism. In 2013, when Bezos bought the Post for $250 million, the Post and the L.A. Times both had dispirited newsrooms that employed about 500 journalists. In the intervening five years, the Post has recaptured its greatness, with an energized newsroom that now numbers 800 journalists. It has a compelling web presence and regularly breaks stories about President Donald Trump. It even reportedly turns a profit. Under Tronc, the Los Angeles Times has continued to shrink, and its newsroom had dwindled to 400 journalists.

In plain, non-business language, the LAT is a joke, it's a farce, and no one wants to read it because it's so insipid. The paper is insipid and the web site is insipid. The intrigues in the publisher's and editor's offices are better than anything in the paper. It recently discovered homelessness in L.A., but in the usual L.A. Times manner it was only because their camps had started setting brush fires in rich people's hillside neighborhoods. It used to retain staff by offering better benefits than they'd get with the union, but now it's so bad that the staff voted for the union something like 380-20 or numbers in that ballpark. And all Tronc has done since is try to bust the union by blaming it for the next layoff........

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

It won't surprise me if a conservative billionaire shells out the money to buy the LA Times sad media deregulatory times.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

I would put that at about a 90% chance. However, the Chandlers fit that description and they actually got out a relatively decent paper, if you ignored the editorials. We'll just have to see. Meanwhile Tronc is just completely screwed up and getting worse.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Billionaire Patrick Soon-Shiong close to deal to buy the L.A. Times from Tribune parent Tronc

Los Angeles biotech billionaire Patrick Soon-Shiong is nearing a deal to buy the Los Angeles Times and the San Diego Union-Tribune from its parent company, Tronc, according to two people familiar with the talks.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

Here's his Wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Soon-Shiong

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think that's a done deal. LA Times could have done worse. Much worse, in fact.

Crossing fingers...