Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:05 am 
Board Emeritus

National Geographic Editor Admits: ‘Our Coverage Was Racist’
“Some of what you find in our archives leaves you speechless,” editor-in-chief Susan Goldberg wrote.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/na ... e2f1c32b0f

National Geographic magazine is taking responsibility for its historical racist coverage.

Editor-in-chief Susan Goldberg acknowledged in an article titled “For Decades, Our Coverage Was Racist” that the venerable publication has ignored non-white Americans and perpetuated racist stereotypes.

“Some of what you find in our archives leaves you speechless,” Goldberg wrote in the editorial, published online Monday.

“It hurts to share the appalling stories from the magazine’s past,” Goldberg added. “But when we decided to devote our April magazine to the topic of race, we thought we should examine our own history before turning our reportorial gaze to others.”

For the special issue, Goldberg asked University of Virginia associate professor John Edwin Mason to analyze the publication’s reporting since its founding in 1888.

Mason concluded that “until the 1970s National Geographic all but ignored people of color who lived in the United States, rarely acknowledging them beyond laborers or domestic workers,” according to Goldberg.

She added that the publication “pictured ‘natives’ elsewhere as exotics, famously and frequently unclothed, happy hunters, noble savages—every type of cliché.”

The description of Aboriginal people in Australia in 1916 as “savages” who “rank lowest in intelligence of all human beings” was a particularly appalling example.

Goldberg said the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s assassination on April 4 provided a “worthy moment to step back” to “take stock of where we are on race.”

[snip][end]

An ad from Nat Geo, in the 1920s, I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:00 am 
Board Emeritus

Too bad it's run by Murdoch now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

The good thing is they've admitted it whereas they could have kept their mouths shut about it. At the least, let's give them credit for disclosing their racist past.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

National Geographic Editor Admits: ‘Our Coverage Was Racist’
“Some of what you find in our archives leaves you speechless,” editor-in-chief Susan Goldberg wrote.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/na ... e2f1c32b0f

National Geographic magazine is taking responsibility for its historical racist coverage.

Editor-in-chief Susan Goldberg acknowledged in an article titled “For Decades, Our Coverage Was Racist” that the venerable publication has ignored non-white Americans and perpetuated racist stereotypes.

“Some of what you find in our archives leaves you speechless,” Goldberg wrote in the editorial, published online Monday.

“It hurts to share the appalling stories from the magazine’s past,” Goldberg added. “But when we decided to devote our April magazine to the topic of race, we thought we should examine our own history before turning our reportorial gaze to others.”

For the special issue, Goldberg asked University of Virginia associate professor John Edwin Mason to analyze the publication’s reporting since its founding in 1888.

Mason concluded that “until the 1970s National Geographic all but ignored people of color who lived in the United States, rarely acknowledging them beyond laborers or domestic workers,” according to Goldberg.

She added that the publication “pictured ‘natives’ elsewhere as exotics, famously and frequently unclothed, happy hunters, noble savages—every type of cliché.”

The description of Aboriginal people in Australia in 1916 as “savages” who “rank lowest in intelligence of all human beings” was a particularly appalling example.

Goldberg said the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s assassination on April 4 provided a “worthy moment to step back” to “take stock of where we are on race.”

[snip][end]

An ad from Nat Geo, in the 1920s, I believe.

Yeah I have a ton of National Geographics from the 20s-50s. This one looks to me to be from the late 30s-40s? but one thing about that publication is that those are relatively easy to find because they printed so daggone many of them.

The other -- and I can tell you this because I own a ton of them from that same time period -- is that these ads were in every single mainstream magazine at the time, regardless of subject matter or focus. They had a propaganda effect.

People still believe this garbage about us right up to this second. :problem:

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, I suspect there were racist ads in all the major magazines of the time, Nat Geo wasn't anything special in that regard.

But, I think where they were even more insidious was the way they put the "savages" of the world on display - indigenous people around the world, and the peoples of Africa - somehow, nobody outside the Western world wore clothing other than loincloths (esp. apparently not a single woman covered her breasts); they all were covered with tattoos, markings, feathers, and crazy adornments; and, of course, never bothered to bathe, they were constantly caked in filth and excrement. Clearly, "white man's burden" and colonialism needed to "save" these people from their savagery, send in the missionaries.

It's weird, just the other day I had a student ask me about cannibalism in Africa. I sternly warned her while it existed, early colonizers made it seem far more extensive and widespread than it really was, again to invoke the rhetoric of the "savage continent" that needed to be saved from itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_can ... ccusations

It's interesting. Returning to Black Panther ... while the fictional Wakanda is supposed to be the most technologically sophisticated nation in the world (let alone in Africa), they still are ruled by a monarchy, and settle the right to rule with a hand-to-hand combat to the death, and seem to have constant tribal warfare between different clan groups mostly identified by the animal skins they wear. (Gorilla people versus cat people.) Plus, of course, the king seems to be king because he worships a cat goddess from ancient Egypt (Bast). It's basically a super high tech society ruled by ... totemism.

(P.S. they're doing the same thing on Legends of Tomorrow, while traveling around the timestream in a ship from the future, it looks they will need to defeat a demon by combining the powers of six African totems... Vixen, who is also from a fictional African nation of Zambesi, uses a totem that gives her the power of various animals. There's four other totems, based on the four elements, and now they've revealed a sixth known as the "death totem" which it turns out was in the hands of ... I kid you not, Elvis Presley. Seems to me like they may be ripping off the Marvel Infinity Stones. :mrgreen: )

I found that really fascinating - the way Wakanda simultaneously is portrayed as super advanced and "savage" at the same time ...

Black Panther's comic was originally known as "Jungle Tales" or "Jungle Action" ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, I suspect there were racist ads in all the major magazines of the time, Nat Geo wasn't anything special in that regard.

But, I think where they were even more insidious was the way they put the "savages" of the world on display - indigenous people around the world, and the peoples of Africa - somehow, nobody outside the Western world wore clothing other than loincloths (esp. apparently not a single woman covered her breasts); they all were covered with tattoos, markings, feathers, and crazy adornments; and, of course, never bothered to bathe, they were constantly caked in filth and excrement. Clearly, "white man's burden" and colonialism needed to "save" these people from their savagery, send in the missionaries.

It's weird, just the other day I had a student ask me about cannibalism in Africa. I sternly warned her while it existed, early colonizers made it seem far more extensive and widespread than it really was, again to invoke the rhetoric of the "savage continent" that needed to be saved from itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_can ... ccusations

It's interesting. Returning to Black Panther ... while the fictional Wakanda is supposed to be the most technologically sophisticated nation in the world (let alone in Africa), they still are ruled by a monarchy, and settle the right to rule with a hand-to-hand combat to the death, and seem to have constant tribal warfare between different clan groups mostly identified by the animal skins they wear. (Gorilla people versus cat people.) Plus, of course, the king seems to be king because he worships a cat goddess from ancient Egypt (Bast). It's basically a super high tech society ruled by ... totemism.

(P.S. they're doing the same thing on Legends of Tomorrow, while traveling around the timestream in a ship from the future, it looks they will need to defeat a demon by combining the powers of six African totems... Vixen, who is also from a fictional African nation of Zambesi, uses a totem that gives her the power of various animals. There's four other totems, based on the four elements, and now they've revealed a sixth known as the "death totem" which it turns out was in the hands of ... I kid you not, Elvis Presley. Seems to me like they may be ripping off the Marvel Infinity Stones. :mrgreen: )

I found that really fascinating - the way Wakanda simultaneously is portrayed as super advanced and "savage" at the same time ...

Black Panther's comic was originally known as "Jungle Tales" or "Jungle Action" ...

Well yeah, Black Panther is the vindication of every Black kid who ever had to be a K-12 student in America, with our dumb, education-resistant peers shoving National Geographics in our faces.

That was the fun of much of the movie. Yeah, they did not back away from any of the portrayals of Africa as "savage" that we're supposed to be embarassed about. I loved it to no end that probably the most elegant and stately person in the whole movie, next to Angela Bassett was the River Tribe Elder guy, the guy with the lip plates.

Dumb conservative white children used to refer to us as "Ubangis" thanks to NG. :problem:

I even had this conversation with one of my closest friends, with whom I went to see it on opening night (they are trans, Taiwanese-American, and very conntected to African-America.)

Lol how many times did I get called "spearchucker" by conservative white children. Now it's like, for little girls being called that....uh-huh. Go see Black Panther.

And the most vindicating part of all, when we'd be physically threatened by the angry conservative white children with "you're a nigger and my daddy beats niggers up," our retort typically had something to do with the Black Panther Party.

Lol I didn't know what the BPP even was, probably neither did anyone else, except that it scared the socks off of ridiculous conservative white children trying to intimidate us. Didn't work.

Now, they wear #maga hats, so do their tikitorch poloshirt children. :problem:

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:48 am 
Board Emeritus

Lol how many times did I get called "spearchucker" by conservative white children. Now it's like, for little girls being called that....uh-huh. Go see Black Panther.

Well, again ... an interesting aspect of the film is the all-female royal guard of Wakanda ... who also shave their heads. Fierce warrior women ... who fight with spears. Seems odd, when the civilization obviously has advanced weaponry. Blasters, sonic cannons, Tron-like energy discs.

... of course, they are vibranium spears, which appear able to take out automobiles or aircraft if thrown properly. :D

Of course, one clan appears to be using armored rhinos as their "tank force". :mrgreen: That sort of had a Avatar like vibe to it, though of course at that moment they were the "bad guys".