6. Providence, Rhode Island
7. Salt Lake City, Utah
8. Memphis, Tennessee
9. San Diego, California
10. Baltimore, Maryland

Post subject: Re: RoseAnne
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:58 pm 
Policy Wonk

Its kind of funny how serious the tone is today, and this is just over sit com television, I used to watch archie bunker who I'm pretty sure would be a trump supporter now, the opening theme song " we could sure use a man like herbert hoover again" at the beginning of every episode, then there were the spin offs Maude and the Jefferson's. best thing about tv is its voluntary if it gets to be too awful or overbearing you can turn it off or tune out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Its kind of funny how serious the tone is today, and this is just over sit com television, I used to watch archie bunker who I'm pretty sure would be a trump supporter now, the opening theme song " we could sure use a man like herbert hoover again" at the beginning of every episode, then there were the spin offs Maude and the Jefferson's. best thing about tv is its voluntary if it gets to be too awful or overbearing you can turn it off or tune out.

It's a generation post-Archie Bunker, yet we're still dealing with the Archie Bunker constituency that propelled this bottle blond Archie Bunker into the WH.

But IDK what circles you run in where the new Rosanne is discussed in serious tones. Dunno about you, but everybody I know is rolling their eyes.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:19 pm 

Archie Bunker is on one of the channels that plays old school TV shows. It's one of the funniest sitcoms ever. The humor is so non-PC that I'm surprised nobody has whined enough to have it taken off the air.

Another note from old sitcoms - the actors didn't come from central casting. They aren't all good looking with square jaws, capped teeth, and perfect hair.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Archie Bunker is on one of the channels that plays old school TV shows. It's one of the funniest sitcoms ever. The humor is so non-PC that I'm surprised nobody has whined enough to have it taken off the air.

Another note from old sitcoms - the actors didn't come from central casting. They aren't all good looking with square jaws, capped teeth, and perfect hair.

Ricidulous comment. What is or isn't "one of the funniest sitcoms ever" is a matter of personal taste and opinion. On the other hand, coming from a conservative white, we know exactly the appeal of Archie Bunker jokes appeal to you.

You also sound disappointed and somewhat oversensitive that no one today would bother to try and have a 70s sitcom rehash that has already gone through decades in sydication taken off the air. With 500 channels available at any given time, what would be the point of that?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Funny how guys here who would have labeled Rosanne a politically correct feminazi in the early 90s are now suddenly defensive of the same show rehashed as a pro-Trump vehicle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:16 am 
Board Emeritus

Funny how guys here who would have labeled Rosanne a politically correct feminazi in the early 90s are now suddenly defensive of the same show rehashed as a pro-Trump vehicle.

Time in a bottle: ;)

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:47 am 
Board Emeritus

Carol O'Connor in real life was a liberal.

So of course was producer Norman Lear, who would go on to found People for the American Way.

So, I haven't seen it and will have to rely on what friends have said. Apparently Jackie is once again the most outspoken liberal of the family. And it begins with her and Roseanne arguing over who they voted for (on the show, not in real life :D ). Yet apparently Jackie is the one portrayed as strange, extreme, bizarre, and out of touch, whereas Roseanne's Trumpism is seen as normal.

Yeah, there's the token black kid of the family and the token gender-fluid kid and so maybe ABC is trying to acclimatize the largely Trumpist audience to things outside their comfort zone. Dunno. I understand she's not the only character on the show - but she's given central billing.

Ya know, it's just a sitcom. I'm not organizing a boycott. I'm not going to write a NYT editorial denouncing it. I'm not telling people not to watch.

I am pointing out I think IRL she's a fucking loon. Yes, maybe she's mentally ill. Maybe IRL this is a huge Andy Kaufman act, and unlike him, she's been able to stay in character for 2 years. Who knows. Don't give a shit, and am just not interested in watching.

There are matters out there that are definitely more serious and important than what sitcoms ABC has dredged up back into their primetime lineup. Like the weighty matter of why network execs are so out of ideas, they keep recycling old shows from the 90s. With the same cast!

I was asked for my opinion, and gave it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:53 am 
Board Emeritus

The difference is that All in the Family is making fun of the grotesque, shocking nature of the Archie Bunker. He's playing a character.

Roseanne Barr is a Trump supporter in real life, and she's offensive in real life.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:11 pm 

Carol O'Connor in real life was a liberal.

So of course was producer Norman Lear, who would go on to found People for the American Way.

So, I haven't seen it and will have to rely on what friends have said. Apparently Jackie is once again the most outspoken liberal of the family. And it begins with her and Roseanne arguing over who they voted for (on the show, not in real life :D ). Yet apparently Jackie is the one portrayed as strange, extreme, bizarre, and out of touch, whereas Roseanne's Trumpism is seen as normal.

Yeah, there's the token black kid of the family and the token gender-fluid kid and so maybe ABC is trying to acclimatize the largely Trumpist audience to things outside their comfort zone. Dunno. I understand she's not the only character on the show - but she's given central billing.

Ya know, it's just a sitcom. I'm not organizing a boycott. I'm not going to write a NYT editorial denouncing it. I'm not telling people not to watch.

I am pointing out I think IRL she's a fucking loon. Yes, maybe she's mentally ill. Maybe IRL this is a huge Andy Kaufman act, and unlike him, she's been able to stay in character for 2 years. Who knows. Don't give a shit, and am just not interested in watching.

There are matters out there that are definitely more serious and important than what sitcoms ABC has dredged up back into their primetime lineup. Like the weighty matter of why network execs are so out of ideas, they keep recycling old shows from the 90s. With the same cast!

I was asked for my opinion, and gave it.

Carol O'Connor was also the butt of many of the jokes in that show. He was portrayed as a set-in-his-ways oaf who was at odds with his family, neighbors, and the changing world around him. Archie was the central character but not the hero.

On Roseanne - we agree. She's a damn loon with damaged goods rattling around in her head. Emotionally unstable and constantly seeking attention. Seems to be a basic element commonly shared amongst comedians.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:28 pm 
Policy Wonk

its just art, like old westerns or anything else, a poor white family in rural Illinois happens to be the canvas and humor with a bit of drama is the paint. Im gonna see how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Or: "we'll never all like the same art, and there's no point arguing over it"

Also, there is the issue of artist/actor/life-art/production relationship. I touched on it, and on my view as to why it applies, in this case. In the end, I can't force others to hold my view. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:32 pm 
Policy Wonk

Or: "we'll never all like the same art, and there's no point arguing over it"

Also, there is the issue of artist/actor/life-art/production relationship. I touched on it, and on my view as to why it applies, in this case. In the end, I can't force others to hold my view. :D

yea ok I agree with that. I never watched trumps show or much of reality shows about eliminating people just not my thing. if Roseanne turns into either I would tune out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:54 am 
Board Emeritus

Bill Maher's message for Roseanne Barr -- as a friend ...

Really dig this segment.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

"He's not a champion of the common man ... he's a Koch brother in Rip Taylor's wig".