It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

http://www.dodgersnation.com/dodgers-an ... 018/05/01/

Here's the summary:

The L.A. Dodgers made an exclusive TV deal with Spectrum (Nee Time-Warner Cable) to show all games live. Everyone else who wanted to run them had to contract with Spectrum. Nobody did, because of a complex mess involving an attempt to bust the old practice of bundling cable channels. Nobody wanted to do that.

In practice, this meant nobody saw Dodger games live unless they had Spectrum, and paid a bundle for them.

We pay a bundle. Also, they raise it whenever they feel like it. Pretty much monthly. (Then they brag that Spectrum doesn't make you enter into a contract, even though they're the ones benefiting.)

It's a LOT of money.

Now the Dodgers have moved a game to Facebook. Yes., THAT Facebook. Cambridge Analytica Facebook. Data mining Facebook. Proto-fascist Facebook. The same one that was of so much song and story a couple of weeks back in DC.

It's blacked out on everything else. It is NOT on Spectrum cable. It was, but now it isn't, even though we pay to see all Dodger games live.

They say it's some kind of agreement that the league made, and that we will be really excited to see a game that doesn't require adherence to the contract we were all forced to enter into.

I'm not excited. I'm pissed. I have seen the future, and it is very depressing.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

There is a catch you can see the game on cable once it ends on FB this happened with the Mets & then i caught the replay on SNY which surprised me they probably did put those deals with the cable companies to lessen the backlash so the you can only catch the game on FB quote is all moot.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was referring to the live game.

"Dodger Sportsnet" doesn't replay games after they air live on ESPN, but maybe this time they will. I haven't had time to check the TV schedule.

It's not just the ball game, which will likely suck anyway, given how bad the Dodgers are this year. It's the Creeping Facebookization of everything. I'm sensitive to this, because I deleted my account, and I'm very glad I did. Facebook wasn't for me.

Now all day long people ask me if I saw something on Facebook. It's very depressing. I seem to be running short on friends, again, and the Facebook thing is not making it any better.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:17 pm 

Why not just sign up for BookFace under an assumed name and watch Dodger's games as Walter Hudson?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have some Dodger Dogs in the freezer. :)

Best hotdogs in the world.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have some Dodger Dogs in the freezer. :)

Best hotdogs in the world.

These?

I had a hot dog at the Giants game last year that was so good but not all dogs at the park are the same vendor and I dont recall the name.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

You don't understand. It's a day game, and I wouldn't watch it anyway. It's about the fact that we pay something around $1000 a year for cable, and the Dodger games are the only reason we don't cut the cord. If they're going to start moving an appreciable number of them to facebook, it's breach of contract time by any other name.

My wife didn't delete her account, though she uses it as little as possible. It's on something called facebook live, which has apparently made a deal with MLB the same way ESPN or anyone else would. There'd be no problem watching the Dodger bullpen blow another game, but it's about whether or not we allow facebook to take over everything and program our every move.

I'll calm down eventually. I'm zero-tolerance since the CA revelations.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

These?

I had a hot dog at the Giants game last year that was so good but not all dogs at the park are the same vendor and I dont recall the name.

Yeah, you can only get them at one chain (TMK) in the LA area. But you can have them delivered in dry ice overnight. They are worth it, especially for cookouts and parties!

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

You don't understand. It's a day game, and I wouldn't watch it anyway. It's about the fact that we pay something around $1000 a year for cable, and the Dodger games are the only reason we don't cut the cord. If they're going to start moving an appreciable number of them to facebook, it's breach of contract time by any other name.

My wife didn't delete her account, though she uses it as little as possible. It's on something called facebook live, which has apparently made a deal with MLB the same way ESPN or anyone else would. There'd be no problem watching the Dodger bullpen blow another game, but it's about whether or not we allow facebook to take over everything and program our every move.

I'll calm down eventually. I'm zero-tolerance since the CA revelations.
Hey, it's the free market. It has all the answers before you ask the questions.
Resistance is futile.

Or is it?

I, too have had enough of this shit. We get Directv for a bunch of channels I don't watch for $101.00 per month. Cable for the computer at $65.00 per month. Yes, I know I can "bundle" which just means something with a larger diameter shoved up my ass. I keep a landline because we lose power out here whenever some idiot runs into a pole with a transformer or we get major storms. If the cell ain't charged then no phone.

Look into "World Without Mind: The Existential Threat of Big Tech." by Franklin Foer.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

I checked, and there are NO replays of this game. It's Facebook or nothing.

I have it on the radio. It's tied 1-1 in the 4th.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Reaction to the Facebook game was predictable, and pretty much what I said. Now, I realize that squeaking wheels are the ones that get noticed, but there's a lot of squeaking going on. A lot of people probably didn't get the word until they turned on the game, presumably to get one of those "program alerts" saying it was only on facebook. A lot of them felt ripped off. Also, there was considerable mention of constant rebuffering and outright interruptions.

Most agree that the Dodger management does not care in the least. They don't have to.