Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:34 am 
Board Emeritus

Sorry, Comcast: Fox and Disney sign new merger deal, rejecting Comcast bid

The Walt Disney Company and 21st Century Fox have struck a new merger agreement, with Fox's leadership having rejected Comcast's attempt to outbid Disney.

Under the amended acquisition agreement announced today, Disney would buy Fox for $71.3 billion in cash and stock. This comes one week after Comcast offered Fox $65 billion in cash, which topped Disney's previous deal to buy Fox for $52.4 billion in stock.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... ntury-fox/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

From just a fandom point of view, aside from my visceral white hot hate for Comcast (my cable provider only because I have no choice like most of the rest of America), I sure hoped they wouldn't intercept this deal.

If Fox and Disney complete their deal, the X-Men and Fantastic Four and Spider-Man (and some other properties) all move fully into the MCU. Maybe they can reboot Fantastic Four the third time, and actually get it right. I will repeat I sure prefer Chris Evans as Cap than as Human Torch.

OK. Yes, I know, I'm supposed to hate media mogul mergers as a rabid leftie. Back to that regularly scheduled programming.

BTW, on the SW front, it looks like Disney seems determined to milk the franchise. #9 was originally supposed to cap the trilogy of trilogies that George Lucas envisioned, but it sure looks like Disney wants more milk out of that cow. Not only are there probably going to be more films in the main continuity, they seem determined to do "solo" backstory films (just like Solo). One on Obi-Wan Kenobi ... and urggghle.... one on Boba Fett. I mean, really. Boba Fett? Yes, the fans were demanding it ... sheesh. :roll:

Rumor has it Lando Calrissian will be back in #9 ... but still played by Billy Dee Williams, Donald Glover is too young.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

From just a fandom point of view, aside from my visceral white hot hate for Comcast (my cable provider only because I have no choice like most of the rest of America), I sure hoped they wouldn't intercept this deal.

If Fox and Disney complete their deal, the X-Men and Fantastic Four and Spider-Man (and some other properties) all move fully into the MCU. Maybe they can reboot Fantastic Four the third time, and actually get it right. I will repeat I sure prefer Chris Evans as Cap than as Human Torch.

OK. Yes, I know, I'm supposed to hate media mogul mergers as a rabid leftie. Back to that regularly scheduled programming.

BTW, on the SW front, it looks like Disney seems determined to milk the franchise. #9 was originally supposed to cap the trilogy of trilogies that George Lucas envisioned, but it sure looks like Disney wants more milk out of that cow. Not only are there probably going to be more films in the main continuity, they seem determined to do "solo" backstory films (just like Solo). One on Obi-Wan Kenobi ... and urggghle.... one on Boba Fett. I mean, really. Boba Fett? Yes, the fans were demanding it ... sheesh. :roll:

Rumor has it Lando Calrissian will be back in #9 ... but still played by Billy Dee Williams, Donald Glover is too young.

Comcast is Xfinity? I will move down the road to Santa Rosa CA where I will have a choice of DTV and Comcast. Currently DTV for many years, other than Comcast being owned by rightwing filth, I think, what else rankles your wrinkle?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Xfinity is the digital side of Comcast.

Their refusal to embrace a cord-cutting/streaming future, their douchebag way of shafting existing customers over new ones, their lack of support for AppleTV, their pathetic customer service ...

Yeah, and they oppose Net Neutrality, and politically often fund RW scum initiatives.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

Xfinity is the digital side of Comcast.

Their refusal to embrace a cord-cutting/streaming future, their douchebag way of shafting existing customers over new ones, their lack of support for AppleTV, their pathetic customer service ...

Yeah, and they oppose Net Neutrality, and politically often fund RW scum initiatives.

I wish I didnt need either of them, Xfin or DTV. But there are some network, FX, Comedy Central shows I want to see and sports, some.

And then there is the limitations of streaming as in data usage limits Xfin and DTV and suddenlink and almost all internet providers now have. They will be charging the FUCK out of us for streaming the more and more it becomes the main method of viewing.

Mergers will make it impossible for competition, but hey, she had emails and a private server.