Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

Blackface photo discovered in ASU yearbook edited by USA Today editor

USA Today editor Nicole Carroll has revealed that she, too, has a blackface scandal in her past when she was a yearbook editor at Arizona State University.

“It was recently brought to my attention that I was involved in publishing such a [blackface] photo when I was in college,” she wrote in her own paper Wednesday.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/blackf ... ifications

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:56 am 
Board Emeritus

Blackface, KKK hoods and mock lynchings: Review of 900 yearbooks finds blatant racism - USA Today

White conservatism is a culture of sociopathy. :problem:

Quote:
The old yearbook photos capture the lighthearted moments from college worth remembering – smiling faces, pep rallies and cans of cheap beer.

But tucked in and among those same pages are pictures of students dressed in Ku Klux Klan robes and blackface, nooses and mock lynchings, displays of racism not hidden but memorialized as jokes to laugh about later.

Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, a stunning number of colleges and university yearbooks published images of blatant racism on campus, the USA TODAY Network found in a review of 900 publications at 120 schools across the country.

At Cornell University in New York, three fraternity members are listed in the 1980 yearbook as “Ku,” “Klux” and “Klan.” For their 1971 yearbook picture, a dozen University of Virginia fraternity members, some armed, wore dark cloaks and hoods while peering up at a lynched mannequin in blackface. In one of the most striking images – from the 1981 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign yearbook – a black man is smiling and holding a beer while posing with three people in full KKK regalia.

F. these ppl.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:03 am 
Board Emeritus

900 yearbooks. Well, that's a lot of yearbooks. But USA Today could have saved themselves a ton of trouble and just read my post from a couple weeks ago, tho.

viewtopic.php?p=440948#p440948

Well, dunno about anybody else but I'm really getting a kick out of this week's episode in American race-insanity, where all these people are now scrambling to check old yearbooks and party pictures for blackface dressup.

Let me spare them the effort, especially those who went to these all-white or mostly-white segregation and desegregation-era (1960s-1990s) hellhole schools: They'll quite likely find it. Likewise, what is the point of checking those history books for the social propaganda they've been taught their entire lives? And not just against Black people, either: about their own selves. Of course they will find it. A third of them still believe it, and vote accordingly.

This absurd folly is exactly what transpires when a country founded on race-based eliminationism continues in militant dishonesty with itself about its legacy of racial violence and vilification, particularly of Native Americans and African Americans.

Stop calling the cops on us.