RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Nevada judge rules online journalist must reveal sources, not protected by media shield law

A judge ordered a Storey County journalist to reveal his sources this week, ruling that online news organizations are not covered by the law protecting journalists' confidentiality unless they're a member of the Nevada Press Association.

Nevada's shield law protecting journalists doesn't specify that all news organizations must be members of a press association. The law was also written before the advent of the Internet and doesn't list online news sites, but it does include newspapers, radios and television stations.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2019/03/ ... 091926002/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Nevada judge rules online journalist must reveal sources, not protected by media shield law

A judge ordered a Storey County journalist to reveal his sources this week, ruling that online news organizations are not covered by the law protecting journalists' confidentiality unless they're a member of the Nevada Press Association.

Nevada's shield law protecting journalists doesn't specify that all news organizations must be members of a press association. The law was also written before the advent of the Internet and doesn't list online news sites, but it does include newspapers, radios and television stations.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2019/03/ ... 091926002/

This will be an interesting case to watch because it would appear the online journalist could claim First Amendment protection under the Constitution and the Constitution trumps state constitutions/laws. It may go the the Supreme Court to determine who and what "Freedom of the press" covers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

It sure is unusual. The online journalist pursued a story and when he decided he had the goods on the subject of the story he attempted to file criminal charges with the the DA.

This journalist is charging:

"The Teller (the online publication) filed a criminal complaint with Storey County District Attorney Anne Langer and Nevada Attorney General Adam Laxalt. DA Langer advised me that since I was making a criminal complaint I needed to file the complaint with the Sheriff’s Office before she could proceed."

"The purpose of this complaint is to hold accountable County Commissioner Gilman and Planning Commissioner Thompson for committing perjury when they filed paperwork claiming to live somewhere it is illegal to live. Since they took office illegally and since they don’t actually live at Wild Horse Canyon Drive (or anywhere else in the county for that matter) and can’t legally reside where they claimed they did, we conclude and insist they be prosecuted for perjury and removed from office."

http://thestoreyteller.online/2017/10/1 ... a-sheriff/

At another point this so called journalist wrote:

"Lance and Kris reside in a dual wide mobile home located behind the swimming pool at the Mustang Ranch."

"Let me say that again."

"Lance Gilman, one of the wealthiest men in Northern Nevada, lives in a mobile home behind the swimming pool with his employee and roommate Kris Thompson. At a the brothel. While many Storey County Resident were born at night, none of us reading this were born last night. Suggesting this is a fact stretches credulity around the planet. Twice."

That is decidedly odd. Apparently this fellow insists he knows for a fact that these people do not live there when it is apparent that there is a trailer house there. And they say they live there. His proof apparently is his rationalization that no rich person would live that way.

I guess he never heard of Howard Hughes. :|

Anyway after those criminal charges did not develop, and this so called journalist continued his harassment, the owner of the "Ranch" where the trailer house is, has brought a civil law suit, suing this so called Journalist for defamation. That's where the Judge comes in.

I don't think the guy is a Journalist, I think he has an online hobby horse. Maybe he would belong on that "Ranch" too.

I guess I'm pretty close to being convinced that the Judge made a good call.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

So, are we headed for a world where anybody who says they are a journalist, is a journalist?

I mean, maybe I'm old school, maybe you ought to have a BA degree in journalism, or at least some formal training at a real journalistic outlet. (I know, the devil is in the details there, but I hope we will all recognize InfoWars is not a "real journalistic outlet".)

Journalists need to be shielded with certain protections, but ... not every tom dick and harry blogger should be considered a journalist just because they say they are.

Anymore than I want everybody in Hialeah practicing "medicine" (like injecting your ass with cement) just because they feel they should be allowed to.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

So, are we headed for a world where anybody who says they are a journalist, is a journalist?

I mean, maybe I'm old school, maybe you ought to have a BA degree in journalism, or at least some formal training at a real journalistic outlet. (I know, the devil is in the details there, but I hope we will all recognize InfoWars is not a "real journalistic outlet".)

Journalists need to be shielded with certain protections, but ... not every tom dick and harry blogger should be considered a journalist just because they say they are.

Anymore than I want everybody in Hialeah practicing "medicine" (like injecting your ass with cement) just because they feel they should be allowed to.

I agree there needs to be a standard to be called a journalist or to have the protection afforded to journalists. For example, if a journalist is a person who holds a journalism degree and is performing journalism then they would be covered. Same could be said of someone who doesn't hold a journalism degree but is employed by a press organization (TV, radio, print, on-line media) and performs the same functions as a regular journalist. Also, belonging to a legally recognized professional journalistic organization that holds its members to professional standards and ethics much like the legal or medical professions do. Claiming your a journalist because you post to a blog or Twitter or some non-traditional media without ties to a professional media outlet or professional organization shouldn't be able to claim the same protection under the First Amendment as real journalists can.