Radio, TV, Print.

Talk about it here.

Moderators: plunderer, Bernie the union guy

ap215
Board Emeritus

Liberty University police issue arrest warrants for NYT, Pro

Post by ap215 »

Liberty University police issue arrest warrants for NYT, ProPublica reporters

Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. on Wednesday said that arrest warrants had been issued for reporters from The New York Times and ProPublica after both publications wrote stories criticizing his decision last month to partially reopen his Virginia-based college.

Photos of the arrest warrants for New York Times freelance photographer Julia Rendleman and ProPublica reporter Alec MacGillis were published on the website of conservative radio host Todd Starnes. The warrant alleges each committed misdemeanor trespassing on campus while gathering information for their respective stories.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4920 ... -reporters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Number6
Board Emeritus

Re: Liberty University police issue arrest warrants for NYT,

Post by Number6 »

ap215 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:16 am wrote:Liberty University police issue arrest warrants for NYT, ProPublica reporters

Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. on Wednesday said that arrest warrants had been issued for reporters from The New York Times and ProPublica after both publications wrote stories criticizing his decision last month to partially reopen his Virginia-based college.

Photos of the arrest warrants for New York Times freelance photographer Julia Rendleman and ProPublica reporter Alec MacGillis were published on the website of conservative radio host Todd Starnes. The warrant alleges each committed misdemeanor trespassing on campus while gathering information for their respective stories.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4920 ... -reporters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The arrest warrants are from the Liberty University (a private college) Police Department and carry no weight.
When you vote Left you vote right.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

Number6 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:45 am wrote: The arrest warrants are from the Liberty University (a private college) Police Department and carry no weight.
They're police. An arrest by them leads to the Lynchburg jail, then onto a Lynchburg court. Might even lead to a Lynchburg tree, well maybe not anymore.

:|

Here's what their university web page blurb says:

University Police share concurrent jurisdiction with the Lynchburg Police Department for properties owned or controlled by Liberty University and other properties agreed upon. University Police offer assistance to the city Police when requested according to an established mutual aid agreement.

They've got two drug sniffing dogs.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

Number6 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:45 am wrote: The arrest warrants are from the Liberty University (a private college) Police Department and carry no weight.
Remember when I said, over and over and over WE CANT SURVIVE these people?

We really cant, as long as they are part of our bio-system/eco-system, so to speak, we are going to die from their actions.

Make believe arresting truth tellers is a symptom of their stupidity and their effectiveness at supporting stuff that is going to kill a bunch of us.

When I hear the AGONY involved in not breathing from this disease I have feelings for these folks I cant mention here.
Excuse me while I use a BROAD BRUSH to say anyone who spends one minute defending anything rump is just as guilty as he is of all his crimes

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

Sam Lefthand » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:56 pm wrote:
They're police. An arrest by them leads to the Lynchburg jail, then onto a Lynchburg court. Might even lead to a Lynchburg tree, well maybe not anymore.

:|

Here's what their university web page blurb says:

University Police share concurrent jurisdiction with the Lynchburg Police Department for properties owned or controlled by Liberty University and other properties agreed upon. University Police offer assistance to the city Police when requested according to an established mutual aid agreement.

They've got two drug sniffing dogs.
They can act on campus property but I seriously doubt they have concurrent jurisdiction with any police department. If they were a community college or a state college or university then they would have concurrent jurisdiction just as lifeguards on California beaches have concurrent jurisdiction.
When you vote Left you vote right.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

Number6 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:07 pm wrote: They can act on campus property but I seriously doubt they have concurrent jurisdiction with any police department. If they were a community college or a state college or university then they would have concurrent jurisdiction just as lifeguards on California beaches have concurrent jurisdiction.

I wonder if any of the people Falwell purposely infected with the deadly virus will die.

If so he needs to go down for voluntary manslaughter.

If not, why do we have laws?
Excuse me while I use a BROAD BRUSH to say anyone who spends one minute defending anything rump is just as guilty as he is of all his crimes

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

Number6 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:07 pm wrote: They can act on campus property but I seriously doubt they have concurrent jurisdiction with any police department. If they were a community college or a state college or university then they would have concurrent jurisdiction just as lifeguards on California beaches have concurrent jurisdiction.
They say they do have concurrent jurisdiction.

That's the kind of statement which is usually true. The reason it's usually true is it's publicly posted on the Universities information web site and the Lynchburg Police Department and courts haven't made them take it down.

They would make them take it down if they didn't have concurrent jurisdiction which the local police and courts do recognize.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

If they're merely campus SECURITY (i.e. not deputized officers), they can't arrest anybody. They can ask you to leave premises or detain you until real police arrive.

Campus police, if they are really police, are deputized and have arrest powers.

Question I would ask is what ordinance these journalists violated. I don't see how asking questions the Falwells didn't want to answer constitutes a form of trespass. That I think is a load of crap.

People who keep whining about freedom of religion should pay attention to that other part of the 1st amendment that deals with a free press.
-- Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.
Malaclypse the Younger

Doremus Jessup
Political Junkie

Post by Doremus Jessup »

Even though Liberty is private you could make a case that under the concurrent jurisdiction with public local government the campus police powers are 1st amendment limited because of that government relationship.