Explosion Hoover Dam...

News and events of the day
Libertas

Explosion Hoover Dam...

Post by Libertas »

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1549 ... 8sy4MLTCfQ

But not on the news anywhere...what is going on?

If real, my first thought was Hollywood.

Someone on DU saying it looks like a transformer exploded.

https://www.kalb.com/2022/07/19/explosi ... ment-says/
Last edited by Libertas on Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Re: Explosion Hoover Dam...

Post by ZoWie »

They've added to the story at the link. The fire was out on arrival.

There's a huge power generating station there and a lot of energy circulating around. Explosions and fires would not be out of the question, nor would they necessarily be caused by the low lake level.

There will presumably be an investigation.

I wonder whether the power supply in California has been affected, since (except for Texas) everything's interconnected.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:45 pm They've added to the story at the link. The fire was out on arrival.

There's a huge power generating station there and a lot of energy circulating around. Explosions and fires would not be out of the question, nor would they necessarily be caused by the low lake level.

I wonder whether the power supply in California has been affected, since (except for Texas) everything's interconnected.
Says no interruption to power at one of the links.
I sigh in your general direction.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Dam you, Lex Luthor. :D

BTW, in case you ever wondered, what they blew up in Superman (1978), since those were pre-CGI days, was a miniature model of Hoover Dam, though scenes up until that point were filmed on location.

I gotta say, it's pretty amazing that you can turn back time for everybody on Earth just by flying around it really fast. Even the dead Lois Lane comes back to life. THAT's a superpower. :mrgreen:
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:45 pm They've added to the story at the link. The fire was out on arrival.

I just looked at the California ISO and the current demand is 33,603 MW with a foretasted peak of 40,757 MW. Nothing on it about loss of power.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I believe it was a transformer explosion, probably not the first one, and yes there was no power disruption. It doesn't hurt that LA isn't as hot as some places, and the air conditioning isn't set to 11. Should actually be pretty nice weather for the All-Star Game in a couple of hours.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

ProfX wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:09 pm Dam you, Lex Luthor. :D

BTW, in case you ever wondered, what they blew up in Superman (1978), since those were pre-CGI days, was a miniature model of Hoover Dam, though scenes up until that point were filmed on location.

I gotta say, it's pretty amazing that you can turn back time for everybody on Earth just by flying around it really fast. Even the dead Lois Lane comes back to life. THAT's a superpower. :mrgreen:
Like time is wrapped in a serial manner unfolding in one direction and folding back up in the other. like going backwards in solitaire and forking off into a new direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4KAJvt2PI
The Hoover Dam may be a symbol of America's engineering genius, but it's also responsible for a number of earthquakes. See why on Secrets of the Earth, tonight at 9/8c.
Talking about the shifting of pressure and its effects on the surrounding terrain causes earth quakes like the fracking
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Any time you put a lot of water in a place where there wasn't any, you increase the risk of earthquakes. They don't happen for quite some time after, and the places that are suitable for that kind of thing tend to be faulted to begin with, so it's only been recently discovered. It occurs when these formerly dormant faults become weakened enough by unnatural water accumulation to become active ones.

The biggest potential problem is the Salton Sea. The Imperial Valley was just another arid basin with a little natural lake until some bozos tried to irrigate it with a canal and accidentally diverted a very large amount of the Colorado River into the valley for a brief period. They fixed this eventually, but the little lake had become essentially a huge inland sea. This was considered to be a recreational asset until it got smaller, smellier, and more toxic.

This smelly human made lake is now at a point where it's a partial cause of the valley's notorious swarms of little earthquakes, sometimes hundreds in a couple of days. Everyone's hoping that these are preventing the whole valley from rupturing. That could also break the underlying San Andreas Fault, and cause just about the biggest strike-slip earthquake since San Francisco ceased to exist that dark day in the early 20th Century. It would do damage for hundreds of miles.

A similar phenomenon is why "fracking causes earthquakes." As the beer company used to say, it's the water. Two problems. First is from hydrofracking activating shallow faults at the depth where oil is pumped out. Second is when the process creates vast amounts of toxic waste water that can only be safely disposed of by injecting it much deeper into the ground, well below the oil bearing strata, where it gets any dormant faults into active rock and roll prontito.

This is why Oklahoma suddenly started having earthquakes, when it never had them before. Took a while to figure this out. Currently there's a lot of work for lawyers.