Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:19 am 
Board Emeritus

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

This is probably worse than anything Walmart has put out. Target is another low-wage employer.

I think much of the video is laughable. Gee, Target is FUN!

"Target's open-door policy isn't just a catch-phrase - it's a policy!"

Unions are not a business - they are not a for-profit organization. They are a non-profit organization.

And you know, anyone who thinks for a moment knows what they are saying is a lie. I shop at a union grocery store. No one has EVER told me "they can't help me". Actually, the service at the unionized store is FAR better AND more professional.

And I've shopped at Target - want to get help? Not likely. And training? Unions NEGOTIATE more training and a path to promotion.

And seniority is the fairest way to work. Otherwise, it's up to the boss. And I've worked non-union - it's not about being best or most qualified. It's about being buddies with the boss or being the best suck-up. That's why Target and Walmart keeps getting sued because they ignore women and people of color when they promote. They've lost HUGE lawsuits.

Target's idea is they are the boss, and you do what they say or you get fired.

And finally, do you want to work fast and fun, or do you want to have pay and benefits on which you can make a living and raise a family?

And let's deal with the reality on signing a union card. There's no way Target will accept these cards, so the worst that can happen is that there will be an election, where you have a secret ballot. They are lying when they say if you sign the card, you may have a union. Without a contract, a union can't force you to pay dues, nor do they have a legal right. In other words, it's NOT like signing for a loan you are legally obligated to pay, where your credit can be messed up if you don't.

Ah, but they don't ACTUALLY want you to know all the facts, do they? They use measles-words to insinuate that you are going to be indebted to the union. Isn't that impressive?

The open-door polices are crap. They won't give out raises - the whole plan is to pay you less so they can have more. Heck, the Target CEO's salary is higher than Walmart's! If Target unionized, and their workers made a living wage, then that probably wouldn't be possible!

Target is so damned worried about workers having to pay dues. They aren't nearly as concerned about how workers afford rent or healthcare, are they?

And finally, let's remember that, because of the low wages Target pays, that the taxpayer pays for food stamps and health care so that they can live.

A union contract would mean that the taxpayer would no longer have to underwrite Target's employee costs.

That's the one thing that conservatives should be cheering.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't shop at Target. Their prices are outrageous. This just gives me another reason to not shop there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:46 am 
Board Emeritus

One night I found Target's open door policy, closed, locked, the alarm armed for the night when I was inside the building.

I was called in for an after hours emergency service call. I finished repairing their refrigeration plant after eleven, the time they locked down the building for the night.

After I had gotten my repair paperwork signed, I was told by the night manager that the store was locked down for the night. And he suggested that I should make myself comfortable in the employee lounge until morning, when the doors would be unlocked and the alarm would be disarmed and I would be allowed to leave.

He waited until I had finalized my paperwork so I wouldn't be able to charge the store for the extra hours he intended to imprison me. He said he couldn't unlock the doors, or disarm the alarm, said he didn't have the alarm code, or the keys. And he said the alarm would sound at the police stations if any of the doors were opened. That I would probably be arrested in the parking lot if I did manage to get a door open.

He went on to say that if the alarm sounded and it weren't an emergency the store would be fined for a false alarm, and suggested that Target would want my company to pay it if I caused it to happen.

I said "good, the store should be fined for imprisoning people overnight." Then I went to the locked front door and pushed really hard, the emergency breakaway hardware broke away just like it was designed to. The electric sliding door swung open on the hinges that most people, including that manager, did not know it has. That alarm was really loud.

I drove out of the parking lot in my big white company van as the police were pulling into the lot. I wonder if they were fined for that false alarm. I'm pretty sure the night manager did not tell the police that he'd allowed a prisoner to escape through the front door while he stood there doing nothing to stop it.

I was told by my company, and my union, that I had handled the situation well. They were pleased that I had solved the problem. I was asked to explain how the emergency front door hardware worked at the next meeting, so all of our workers could break out of Target's prison in the event they were imprisoned in one of the buildings after lock down.

It turned out that one of our guys in the south bay area a couple of weeks before had spent the night in one of those employee lounges, and Target had not been willing to pay for his time on the job. It wasn't long after that Target did away with that middle of the night lock down policy. Our guys were bummed by the policy change, they all wanted to have a chance to break out of Target's prison like I had.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well Sam, I can tell that you have far more patience than I do. I probably would've decked the manager and threw something heavy through the window. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

One night I found Target's open door policy, closed, locked, the alarm armed for the night when I was inside the building.

I was called in for an after hours emergency service call. I finished repairing their refrigeration plant after eleven, the time they locked down the building for the night.

After I had gotten my repair paperwork signed, I was told by the night manager that the store was locked down for the night. And he suggested that I should make myself comfortable in the employee lounge until morning, when the doors would be unlocked and the alarm would be disarmed and I would be allowed to leave.

He waited until I had finalized my paperwork so I wouldn't be able to charge the store for the extra hours he intended to imprison me. He said he couldn't unlock the doors, or disarm the alarm, said he didn't have the alarm code, or the keys. And he said the alarm would sound at the police stations if any of the doors were opened. That I would probably be arrested in the parking lot if I did manage to get a door open.

He went on to say that if the alarm sounded and it weren't an emergency the store would be fined for a false alarm, and suggested that Target would want my company to pay it if I caused it to happen.

I said "good, the store should be fined for imprisoning people overnight." Then I went to the locked front door and pushed really hard, the emergency breakaway hardware broke away just like it was designed to. The electric sliding door swung open on the hinges that most people, including that manager, did not know it has. That alarm was really loud.

I drove out of the parking lot in my big white company van as the police were pulling into the lot. I wonder if they were fined for that false alarm. I'm pretty sure the night manager did not tell the police that he'd allowed a prisoner to escape through the front door while he stood there doing nothing to stop it.

I was told by my company, and my union, that I had handled the situation well. They were pleased that I had solved the problem. I was asked to explain how the emergency front door hardware worked at the next meeting, so all of our workers could break out of Target's prison in the event they were imprisoned in one of the buildings after lock down.

It turned out that one of our guys in the south bay area a couple of weeks before had spent the night in one of those employee lounges, and Target had not been willing to pay for his time on the job. It wasn't long after that Target did away with that middle of the night lock down policy. Our guys were bummed by the policy change, they all wanted to have a chance to break out of Target's prison like I had.

Had it been me, I would have informed the night manager that holding me against my will was illegal and that I'd be calling the police immediately. If that didn't work then I'd call the police on my cell phone or one of Target's phones and tell them I was being held against my will and that I wished to fill charges against the employee and the store. After the police arrived and "freed" me the next day I'd contact a lawyer and ask him to sue Target for false imprisonment and any other charges he could think up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

I want to thank you for being honest about Target. In the end there is not much [if any] difference between them and Walmart.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

[quote="gounion » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:19 am"]
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

This is probably worse than anything Walmart has put out. Target is another low-wage employer.

I think much of the video is laughable. Gee, Target is FUN!

"Target's open-door policy isn't just a catch-phrase - it's a policy!"

Unions are not a business - they are not a for-profit organization. They are a non-profit organization.

And you know, anyone who thinks for a moment knows what they are saying is a lie. I shop at a union grocery store. No one has EVER told me "they can't help me". Actually, the service at the unionized store is FAR better AND more professional.

And I've shopped at Target - want to get help? Not likely. And training? Unions NEGOTIATE more training and a path to promotion.

And seniority is the fairest way to work. Otherwise, it's up to the boss. And I've worked non-union - it's not about being best or most qualified. It's about being buddies with the boss or being the best suck-up. That's why Target and Walmart keeps getting sued because they ignore women and people of color when they promote. They've lost HUGE lawsuits.

Target's idea is they are the boss, and you do what they say or you get fired.

And finally, do you want to work fast and fun, or do you want to have pay and benefits on which you can make a living and raise a family?

And let's deal with the reality on signing a union card. There's no way Target will accept these cards, so the worst that can happen is that there will be an election, where you have a secret ballot. They are lying when they say if you sign the card, you may have a union. Without a contract, a union can't force you to pay dues, nor do they have a legal right. In other words, it's NOT like signing for a loan you are legally obligated to pay, where your credit can be messed up if you don't.

Ah, but they don't ACTUALLY want you to know all the facts, do they? They use measles-words to insinuate that you are going to be indebted to the union. Isn't that impressive?

The open-door polices are crap. They won't give out raises - the whole plan is to pay you less so they can have more. Heck, the Target CEO's salary is higher than Walmart's! If Target unionized, and their workers made a living wage, then that probably wouldn't be possible!

Target is so damned worried about workers having to pay dues. They aren't nearly as concerned about how workers afford rent or healthcare, are they?

And finally, let's remember that, because of the low wages Target pays, that the taxpayer pays for food stamps and health care so that they can live.

A union contract would mean that the taxpayer would no longer have to underwrite Target's employee costs.

That's the one thing that conservatives should be cheering.[/quote

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Pretty much everything in that video is true.I skipped through it and from what I saw a Union contract could prevent a person from Hardware helping a customer in electronics as one good example.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

I want to thank you for being honest about Target. In the end there is not much [if any] difference between them and Walmart.

As I've said before, the difference is Walmart uses it's power to force American manufacturers to shut down their American factories and move them to Mexico or China. Some that, as an American worker, you SHOULD be against but seem to cheer for instead.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's why I love retail.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Had it been me, I would have informed the night manager that holding me against my will was illegal and that I'd be calling the police immediately. If that didn't work then I'd call the police on my cell phone or one of Target's phones and tell them I was being held against my will and that I wished to fill charges against the employee and the store. After the police arrived and "freed" me the next day I'd contact a lawyer and ask him to sue Target for false imprisonment and any other charges he could think up.

I thought about all of that, I did not wish to be imprisoned for even that one night.

Sue them? I'd be putting myself in a prison of my own making for who knows how long, 4 -5 years. When there is some other way one should always avoid being grist for the mill of the gods. It grinds so slowly, and so exceedingly fine.

Have you ever looked closely at the life of someone who was suing someone else. It infects them and either infects or drives away their friends. It's almost as bad as seeing someone being swept up by some hobgoblin of a conspiracy theory, and not being able to get free.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:41 pm 
Policy Wonk

I thought about all of that, I did not wish to be imprisoned for even that one night.

Sue them? I'd be putting myself in a prison of my own making for who knows how long, 4 -5 years. When there is some other way one should always avoid being grist for the mill of the gods. It grinds so slowly, and so exceedingly fine.

Have you ever looked closely at the life of someone who was suing someone else. It infects them and either infects or drives away their friends. It's almost as bad as seeing someone being swept up by some hobgoblin of a conspiracy theory, and not being able to get free.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:26 am 
Political Junkie

Target was bought up by another chain or two in recent years.
Its not the same business it once was, when owned by the Dayton family. Taken a serious dive.

Target shoppers know more than anybody in the whole wide world.
They absorb it walking through the door. Learn about unions right near the shopping carts.

I’m just here for the Rapture of it all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah they're supposed to be the "nice" big-box store.

None of them are nice.

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

None of them are nice.

Very few. The one that comes close is Costco. And it pays, since Costco makes more profit per square foot than their direct competition, Sam's Club.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

The copyrighted video has been removed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:54 am 
Policy Wonk

Target was bought up by another chain or two in recent years.

That did not happen.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:06 am 
Board Emeritus

Target failed in Canada. At least, that's a plus.

Except for the folks that lost their jobs. When Target up here was Zellers they never seemed to have issues keeping the shelves stocked, and always seemed busy.

Last edited by Drak on Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:10 am 
Board Emeritus

THe lawsuit that a person could successfully execute here is enticing...hmm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:46 am 
Board Emeritus

Pretty much everything in that video is true.I skipped through it and from what I saw a Union contract could prevent a person from Hardware helping a customer in electronics as one good example.

Only if that's what the company wanted. Such a proposal would come from the company, not the union. I shop at a Union Kroger, all the workers are extra-helpful and no one says they can't. When you shop union, you get professional, experienced help.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:51 pm 
Political Junkie

None of them are nice.

Remember the video from a couple of years ago & the flash mobs.

Quote:
Grengrass said: That did not happen.

Who owns them now? Reading wikipedia entry it sounds as though the parent company retained the properties.
However, I was under the impression (perhaps false) that the Dayton Brand was bought up.

Quote:
In 2000, Dayton–Hudson was renamed Target Corporation. In 2004, Target finally divested their department store division to focus on discount retailing. May Company purchased the stores prior to its own acquisition by Federated Department Stores, which rebranded all the Marshall Field's stores as Macy's.

I’m just here for the Rapture of it all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:03 pm 
Policy Wonk

Remember the video from a couple of years ago & the flash mobs.

Who owns them now? Reading wikipedia entry it sounds as though the parent company retained the properties.
However, I was under the impression (perhaps false) that the Dayton Brand was bought up.

The company simply change the name to Target Corp and they sold off the department store chains.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:56 pm 
Policy Wonk

They're Big Business & not a Mom & Pop shop plain & simple plus their Karaoke commercials are god awful.