Russia to Invade Ukraine

News and events of the day
gounion

Re: Russia to Invade Ukraine

Post by gounion »

Carmen, keep'em coming, Marsha Blackburn is literally one of the worst Senators in America. She was and is one of Trump's biggest cheerleaders. But Joe don't give a shit. She's got an (R) behind her name so he'll always vote for her, because she's not a Democrat.

That's why his bullshit about not supporting Trump is laughable. One thing Joe traffics in is denial. Hell, if you asked him, he couldn't even NAME the two Senators in Tennessee. He pays no attention at all to the news, because he doesn't want to have to defend his votes. It's funny that he comes to a board like this, one based upon the news of the day, when he never ever reads or hears any actual news.
bradman

Post by bradman »

JoeMemphis wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:58 am I’m with you. If they remove him from power and arrest him, I would be fine with that. However, if he leaves in a body bag, I’m okay with that as well. Live by the sword. Die by the sword.
i'm fairly certain any covert actions that can be done are being done. Poot's early demise would be on that list. Ending up in a body bag maybe a long shot, but ya, i wouldn't much miss him. He's made his bed.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:37 pm i'm fairly certain any covert actions that can be done are being done. Poot's early demise would be on that list. Ending up in a body bag maybe a long shot, but ya, i wouldn't much miss him. He's made his bed.
Well, I'm quite certain that there's no way conceivable that the USA has any chance of assassinating Putin even if they wanted to. Hell, we couldn't even assassinate Castro. There's really no reason to discuss it no more than suggesting we could put a Hogwarts- style spell on him. Any personal danger he might be in would be from within Russia.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:38 am It's pretty funny to see YOU complaining that someone is going too far! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And Lib wasn't necessarily saying that. The people that need to take Putin out, one way or another, is the Russian people or government. He needs to be removed for the good of Russia.
Thanks

Of course I am referring to his own people taking him out one way or another even if just put in jail...If they dont eliminate him either physically or by jailing him, he is going to make the entire human race miserable, unsafe and despondent.

It is the age old question, would you have taken Hitler out at any point in his life prior to his rise in power, one life for millions? I would. Although the argument is how different everything would be, possibly worse, we dont know.
I sigh in your general direction.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:23 am Yes then there's Sebastopol, and the Russian Hill neighborhood in my city.

https://www.foundsf.org/index.php?title ... ill_Naming
Sebastopol? The one north of the City, the town? I was unaware it was a Russian populated place.
bradman

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:44 pm Well, I'm quite certain that there's no way conceivable that the USA has any chance of assassinating Putin even if they wanted to. Hell, we couldn't even assassinate Castro. There's really no reason to discuss it no more than suggesting we could put a Hogwarts- style spell on him. Any personal danger he might be in would be from within Russia.
[bold] That's a rumor. The U.S. never had any plans to assassinate Castro. Just ask Gaddafi's youngest son. Bin laden will back him up. Yamamoto could better explain what happens during a long shot covert plan. We pulled that one off without the Japanese cluing into the fact we had broke their military code.:)
Last edited by bradman on Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:57 pm Sebastopol? The one north of the City, the town? I was unaware it was a Russian populated place.
I don't think it is, but the name is from the Crimean War period. The Siege of Sebastopol was Russia's losing battle in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastopol,_California

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:28 pm Carmen, keep'em coming, Marsha Blackburn is literally one of the worst Senators in America. She was and is one of Trump's biggest cheerleaders. But Joe don't give a shit. She's got an (R) behind her name so he'll always vote for her, because she's not a Democrat.

That's why his bullshit about not supporting Trump is laughable. One thing Joe traffics in is denial. Hell, if you asked him, he couldn't even NAME the two Senators in Tennessee. He pays no attention at all to the news, because he doesn't want to have to defend his votes. It's funny that he comes to a board like this, one based upon the news of the day, when he never ever reads or hears any actual news.
The only thing JoeMemphis is good for is stupidly paraphrasing whatever Marsha Blackburn sez, acting as if they're his own thoughts.

First this:

Sen. Marsha Blackburn
@MarshaBlackburn

Make America energy independent again.
5:18 PM · Feb 25, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/MarshaBlackburn/sta ... 9565760518

Sen. Marsha Blackburn
@MarshaBlackburn

We must no longer rely on the Kremlin for energy. America must be energy independent.
12:34 PM · Feb 27, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/MarshaBlackburn/sta ... 4223182855

Sen. Marsha Blackburn
@MarshaBlackburn

Under President Trump, America was an energy exporter. Now, the US & Europe are empowering Russia with energy dependence.
1:27 PM · Feb 28, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/MarshaBlackburn/sta ... 3016846339

Then this:

Not once has anyone either in the Biden administration or on this board ever argued for being dependent on Russia for energy or pouring money into Putin's pocket.

Lmao when have we ever been reliant on the Kremlin for energy? :lol:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:50 am i'd go a step further. With plausible deniability in mind, i'd be willing to support a Ukrainian or Russian operation that'd desire to do the dirty deed.

The problem would be getting close to him. If recent images of poot say anything it's that nobody can get with 100 ft. of him.

Which i've been wondering about. Recent images always show Putin isolated with his cabinet officers seated some distance away. What's up with that? It's obviously staged. But staged for what end?
:?

You think going around assassinating leaders of foreign countries is a good idea?

Would you like it if somebody interally or from some other country assassinated the leader of our country under plausible deniability?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:08 pm I don't think it is, but the name is from the Crimean War period. The Siege of Sebastopol was Russia's losing battle in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastopol,_California
Oh, you mentioned a neighborhood in SF and then Sebastopol so I guess I was confused.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:28 pmShe was and is one of Trump's biggest cheerleaders. But Joe don't give a shit. She's got an (R) behind her name so he'll always vote for her, because she's not a Democrat.
She spent all last night on Twitter bolstering Donald Trump as often as possible during the SOTU. All of these amoral cons are in his back pocket.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:01 pm :?

You think going around assassinating leaders of foreign countries is a good idea?

Would you like it if somebody interally or from some other country assassinated the leader of our country under plausible deniability?
If we are talking about Carter and the Church Committee, Ya, i'm on board.

If we are talking about whacking Hitler, different story. Who wouldn't want to pull the trigger if given the chance?
Last edited by bradman on Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Libertas wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:29 pm Oh, you mentioned a neighborhood in SF and then Sebastopol so I guess I was confused.
Sebastopol is Northern California, Sonoma County.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

marindem01 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:41 pm Sebastopol is Northern California, Sonoma County.
That's why I brought it up after CJ mentioned it...you would have to see her comment about it to see why I said what I said.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Are you subscribed to WAPO? What piece of shit senator did this?
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:01 pm :?

I brought it up first, to be fair. I was wondering why his own people/generals had not neutralized him yet, either physically or by arresting him.

One guy gets to make this decision while most if not ALL of the Russian people including the Generals are against it? Makes no sense to me.

He is ONE PERSON, how many have to die because of what HE wants? I agree our government cant do it, NATO cant do it, but his own people have to do something.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

marindem01 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:53 am ... Chechen ...
I wonder if anybody remembers what Russia did to Chechnya in 2000.

Not a big fan of Wahhabists or other fundos. And if it's even possible, Chechnya's anti-LGBTQ laws are even worse than Russia's. But Russia really has never dealt well with breakway republics that have breakaway republics. Chechnya was a major one.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:41 pm If we are talking about Carter and the Church Committee, Ya, i'm on board.

If we are talking about whacking Hitler, different story. Who wouldn't want to pull the trigger if given the chance?
Think about it for a moment. Say we got a chance, and the CIA killed Putin, say a drone strike, and it was shown to the world that we did.

Do you think there's be any repercussions? Do you think they'd be good?
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Libertas wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:01 pm Image
Loving It
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

The CIA is technically forbidden post-75 from assassinating foreign leaders.

In practice, that means just about nothing, as they still operate in a black budget with a lot of shadows. I imagine they just do it a lot more quietly. Won't do anything quite as openly as they used to.

These days, the U.S. tries to drone strike you. All I can say is Trump said "we're killers too" (not that I disagree, but the context of how and when he said that is the point), and proceeded to put a hit on Solemani, the Iranian commander.

Saddam was notorious for using body doubles and other things to foil assassination plots. These guys learn to be careful. It may have just been luck they found him in a hole, at that point it was hard to find a better hiding place.

MHO: a democratic society should have a means to remove leaders without assassinating them. In the U.S., that's impeachment. Yes, the three times we've tried (I'm not counting the two attempts re Trump twice), so far it hasn't resulted in removal. But still.

As to whether Russia is still a democratic society, well, I've already opined on that. I think there was a brief window where it was more - glasnost and perestroika - but that's over now.

What starts to happen in an unpopular war, BTW, is morale in the army starts to fail. I think we're starting to see that, with some of the Russian forces puncturing their own gas tanks.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

bradman wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:37 pm i'm fairly certain any covert actions that can be done are being done. Poot's early demise would be on that list. Ending up in a body bag maybe a long shot, but ya, i wouldn't much miss him. He's made his bed.
Seems like a good time for some polonium-210 to enter the game. Appropriate method to dispatch him.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:16 pm Seems like a good time for some polonium-210 to enter the game. Appropriate method to dispatch him.
Ah, the assassination wing of the GOP. How special.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Seized in Germany

One of the world’s largest yachts, owned by a Russian oligarch who faces sanctions following the invasion of Ukraine, was seized Wednesday by German authorities, marking one of the first super-yachts to be seized as Europe and the U.S. crack down on the Russian billionaires within Vladimir Putin’s orbit.

Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov’s custom-built 512-foot yacht Dilbar — which Usmanov purchased in 2016 for $600 million and was, at one point, the largest yacht in the world by tonnage — was seized two days after the European Union announced plans to sanction the oligarch. The Dilbar was docked in Hamburg, Germany, where it was undergoing a refitting job since October 2021, Forbes reports, adding that shipbuilders that were working on the Dilbar didn’t show up for work Wednesday because the German government had taken the yacht.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... d-1315552/
Number6

Post by Number6 »

If the Biden administration can seize the real estate of the Russian oligarchs in the U.S., such as those in Trump Tower, it would be fun for the federal government to turn them into low income housing.
When you vote left, you vote right.