It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: 14,500 New Union Members
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

The times, they are a'changing...

Thousands of service agents at American Airlines unionized with their new colleagues at U.S. Airways on Tuesday, making the most of last year's airline mega-merger.

In a combined union election, airline employees voted on whether to join CWA-IBT, a joint union of the Communications Workers of America and the Teamsters. An overwhelming 86 percent voted in favor of unionizing.

The election covered 14,500 employees who work at airport customer-service desks, airline call centers and, in some cases, their own homes. Nine thousand of those workers were previously non-union employees at American Airlines, while the remainder were U.S. Airways agents already represented by the union. The two brands merged last year to create the largest airline in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am not trying to troll or be a wise ass so please don't take it that way.
This will be a good living experiment as we watch what happens to the airline.
a] Will their service improve or decline.
b] Will their profit margins increase or decrease
c] Will their market share improve
d] Will Progressives make it a point to use US Air even when it costs more. [unlike how so many drive cars made by non-union workers]

It will be interesting to see where this airline stands next year at this time. Also, it will take 1 to 2 years to get a true picture. If they have a really good quarter, or a really poor quarter lets none of us point to that as a bellwether as to where the company is headed.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Do we actually give a shit if their profit margins increase? Or their market share improves?
I used to be a dedicated Jet Blue flyer because that airline, in addition to lower rates, was way ahead of the others in many amenities that the others have now caught up with. I fly only eight times a year, but it might be more than you do, Glenn. It costs more to fly into and out of B.F.E. as I've been doing for the past couple of years, but once at a larger airport, there are choices.
You fly on days and at times when ticket prices are lower. It costs less to fly on a Tuesday than it does to fly on a Monday; less to fly out at 6 am than to fly out at noon and less again to fly out late and arrive at midnight. If you're a frequent flyer - even a relatively frequent flyer as I am - you fit your schedule around prices.
The airline doesn't lose money by offering cheaper flights on days and at times less popular. Better to fly with a full plane than a half-filled plane. So, if my ticket from Albany to Austin costs $30 less if I fly out at 6 pm on Tuesday, and 30 others choose this flight because of the price, the airline is actually picking up 30 more passengers at $270, rather than losing 30 passengers at $300.
You know a lot about trucking, and about how not being in a union has saved you from the agony of the 40-hour work week, but you might need to get out of your womb and explore the world that so many others of us live in.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am not trying to troll or be a wise ass so please don't take it that way.
This will be a good living experiment as we watch what happens to the airline.
a] Will their service improve or decline.
b] Will their profit margins increase or decrease
c] Will their market share improve
d] Will Progressives make it a point to use US Air even when it costs more. [unlike how so many drive cars made by non-union workers]

It will be interesting to see where this airline stands next year at this time. Also, it will take 1 to 2 years to get a true picture. If they have a really good quarter, or a really poor quarter lets none of us point to that as a bellwether as to where the company is headed.

Glen, this is JUST the service agents, nothing more. The rest of the airline workers at both airlines are mostly union. That's the BIG reason that they unionized - when American was in bankruptcy, all the other workers had a legal voice at the table with their unions, who were able to negotiate for their members, while the non-union workers had absolutely no say at all.

Cost more? glen, think it through. All the costs that go into an airline ticket - planes, maintenance, fuel, mechanics, ramp people, management, all that, does it really affect your ticket price if the ticket agents get a three percent raise?

Again, those airlines are already heavily unionized.

And glen, you want to tell me that unions cause high prices?

Do you know what the most heavily unionized airline in America is?

Southwest Airlines.

A low-cost airline.

Also the ONLY airline that didn't lose money after 9/11. It's been profitable every year for more than two decades.

Kinda sets your pre-conceptions on it's ear, doesn't it?

glen, you probably don't fly much. The reason the legacy airlines, Delta, American, cost more to fly is that you can go anywhere on them. The cut-rate airlines go from point to point for mostly big cities. LA to New York is cheap, and you have all kinds of choices. But if you want to go from Billings, MT to Winston-Salem, NC you have to fly the legacy airlines, because they are the only ones with that kind of network.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Do we actually give a shit if their profit margins increase? Or their market share improves?
I used to be a dedicated Jet Blue flyer because that airline, in addition to lower rates, was way ahead of the others in many amenities that the others have now caught up with. I fly only eight times a year, but it might be more than you do, Glenn. It costs more to fly into and out of B.F.E. as I've been doing for the past couple of years, but once at a larger airport, there are choices.
You fly on days and at times when ticket prices are lower. It costs less to fly on a Tuesday than it does to fly on a Monday; less to fly out at 6 am than to fly out at noon and less again to fly out late and arrive at midnight. If you're a frequent flyer - even a relatively frequent flyer as I am - you fit your schedule around prices.
The airline doesn't lose money by offering cheaper flights on days and at times less popular. Better to fly with a full plane than a half-filled plane. So, if my ticket from Albany to Austin costs $30 less if I fly out at 6 pm on Tuesday, and 30 others choose this flight because of the price, the airline is actually picking up 30 more passengers at $270, rather than losing 30 passengers at $300.
You know a lot about trucking, and about how not being in a union has saved you from the agony of the 40-hour work week, but you might need to get out of your womb and explore the world that so many others of us live in.

I have flown 3 times in my life and am planning on number 4 next summer. What I was trying to say is this will be a good real time experiment to gauge just what happens to companies when their work force organizes. For example will the number of employees increase or decrease? Same with profits and all the rest. If 12 to 18 months from now the airline is being better run, the employees are pleasant and offering better service and employment and profits are up, then pro union people should be able to pint those facts out and use it as an example of what can happen when a company goes union. On the other hand if things aren't all that rosey.....well. Time will tell.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have flown 3 times in my life and am planning on number 4 next summer. What I was trying to say is this will be a good real time experiment to gauge just what happens to companies when their work force organizes. For example will the number of employees increase or decrease? Same with profits and all the rest. If 12 to 18 months from now the airline is being better run, the employees are pleasant and offering better service and employment and profits are up, then pro union people should be able to pint those facts out and use it as an example of what can happen when a company goes union. On the other hand if things aren't all that rosey.....well. Time will tell.

Again, glen, it's ONLY THE SERVICE AGENTS!!!! The airline is already unionized everywhere else! It's ALREADY GONE UNION! I don't see where unionizing of this small part of the airline will show us anything. It's not enough to raise prices, and the success is going to have far more influence from other areas.

But if you want to see how working with the unions can cause an airline to be successful, look no further than Southwest Airlines. They are the most heavily unionized airline in America, and they are also the most successful airline in America.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:12 am 
Board Emeritus

I have to get trucking but, I just had a thought. 14,500 new union members I wonder how many of that 14,500 voted for the Union. As many as 7249 might have voted against it and now are being forced to pay and join.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:04 am 
Board Emeritus

I have to get trucking but, I just had a thought. 14,500 new union members I wonder how many of that 14,500 voted for the Union. As many as 7249 might have voted against it and now are being forced to pay and join.

you know glen you bring up an interesting point. now explain why unions should have to fight for workers who refuse to join a union. don't you think if a worker doesn't want to join a union he shouldn't get any of the protections afforded by union membership?

and lastly it is called democratic process in the workplace. without it the owners whose boots you lick would happily fire your ass for no reason whatsoever.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

If you had read the link gounion posted you'd have seen this:

Quote:
The National Mediation Board, the federal agency that oversaw the election, said the workers voted in favor of the union by a count of 9,640 to 1,547, indicating widespread support among employees of both airlines. The election appears to be the largest private-sector unionization this year.

Those in favor: 9,640
Those opposed: 1,547
Total votes: 11,187
% voting for union: 86%

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, that's democracy. But no one HAS to pay. If you don't like unions, don't want a union job, you can quit. No one is being forced.

There's good reasons they joined. They had no say, and weren't at the table when the bankruptcy happened. With a union, you have a voice on the job.

I can tell you right now glen, if you had worked at a good union shop, you'd love it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:09 am 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, that's democracy. But no one HAS to pay. If you don't like unions, don't want a union job, you can quit. No one is being forced.

There's good reasons they joined. They had no say, and weren't at the table when the bankruptcy happened. With a union, you have a voice on the job.

I can tell you right now glen, if you had worked at a good union shop, you'd love it.

Without a good union, the company will always have the upper hand with it's employees.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

I would love the part about having a voice, I would hate the part that would limit how hard I am allowed to work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

I would love the part about having a voice, I would hate the part that would limit how hard I am allowed to work.

I'm sure you'd be allowed to work to YOUR highest level! :rw)