Billionaires & their Nutty Escape Plans

News and events of the day
ProfX

Billionaires & their Nutty Escape Plans

Post by ProfX »

So, since I know we have fans of NPR here, I just listened to (Prof.) Douglass Rushkoff's interview on it over his latest work. Basically, we all know so-called doomsayers and preppers. But Rushkoff has actually met some of the billionaires who fall into this subculture, and ... wow.

In 'Survival of the Richest,' author Douglas Rushkoff examines the escape plans of the tech elite.
https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2022/09/06 ... he-richest

Political instability. Social breakdown. Environmental catastrophe.

We're not talking about a Hollywood disaster movie. Instead, we're talking about all the apocalyptic scenarios that a tiny number of the world's richest people are preparing for, right now.

[snip]

And how are they doing it?

Vast bunkers in New Zealand are just one example of how the world's richest people are planning to survive a breakdown in social and environmental order.

Missing from this solution set? Ideas to stop authoritarianism, decrease inequality, heal social divides, or slow climate change.

"Most of these guys that we think are going to save us are actually wishing for the apocalypse. This is not just something that they fear. It's something that at this point they're ready to bring on."

[snip][end]

Now Rushkoff does note some are still stuck in their savior complex. He puts Elon Musk in this category. They are going to save us - and of course they are selling the solution. Elon Musk wants us to colonize the stars, no problem there, but of course he has a company to sell us the means of egress. But the reality is - they can't save us. (Sorry, he still hasn't found the fifth-dimensional beings from Interstellar.)

What is more interesting - or sad - is there seems to be a larger group of billionaires who have concluded we, i.e. the great unwashed masses, are not worth saving, and are starting to "prep" and plan for an apocalyptic future. Like so many survivalists, they're making plans for themselves and their families to survive. And maybe, other elites like themselves. But the rest of us - nah, they'e given up on. We're just fodder. Only they are worth preserving, and they're starting to build giant bunkers in New Zealand as their means of survival. Or planning how to terraform other planets to settle there. (See: Biosphere 2).

This is a scary book. Many others have been written on the topic of not relying on billionaire philanthropy or plans to save us. For one key reason - their plans NEVER seem to discuss anything that can't make them or people like them a profit. :D But this one shows that for many in this subculture, they're not even interested in trying. They believe the apocalypse is nigh, and they're just trying to figure out how to save themselves (and maybe close family members.) They've given up on the rest of us, because apparently we're not worth saving. :|
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Motor City

Re: Billionaires & their Nutty Escape Plans

Post by Motor City »

What a nightmare for them to discover, that in surviving there would only be themselves and people like minded. Frightened greedy and selfish.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

I've often told some (not quite so high-born) doomsday preppers and survivalists ... "I don't want to survive in the world you expect to live in in the future". Since their survival plans seem to involve arming themselves to the teeth, and retreating into some bunker with freeze dried food.

Maybe we can't save this world (thinking of a key Ms. Marvel line just now), but I'd rather die trying. :|
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
bird

Post by bird »

ProfX wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:01 pm I've often told some (not quite so high-born) doomsday preppers and survivalists ... "I don't want to survive in the world you expect to live in in the future". Since their survival plans seem to involve arming themselves to the teeth, and retreating into some bunker with freeze dried food.

Maybe we can't save this world (thinking of a key Ms. Marvel line just now), but I'd rather die trying. :|
Yeah, freeze dried food…until they get sick. Oops.

And as you noted elsewhere, Ike was right about gold.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

The history of humanity is replete with apocalypse culture.

I read this piece a few years ago.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017 ... super-rich

There’s always going to be people like this. The ones with a lot of money just make it more humorous.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:12 pm The history of humanity is replete with apocalypse culture.

I read this piece a few years ago.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017 ... super-rich

There’s always going to be people like this. The ones with a lot of money just make it more humorous.
You admire them and wish to be like them.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

I certainly think there are problems facing human civilization we can't ignore.

That said, the future is not set ...

If I have a faith, this is a central tenet.

Put me on record: I tried to make this human experiment work, not figure out how to escape & survive it.