RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

So, as I think about things to be thankful for, one, I guess, is that fewer douchebags are forcing their employees to work on a day they should be spending at home with family. Especially overworked ones for which that is rare. I'm putting this in Labor, as it is a Labor issue.

I've never been a big fan of the orgy of consumerism called Black Friday. It really horrified me reading over the years that people would injure themselves, sometimes even kill employees, or attack fellow consumers, in a mad rush to claim a handful of silly doorbusters on sale.

The alternatives (Small Business Saturday or Cyber Monday) are really just encouraging you to pursue a different path for consumerism. Not to question you being defined by consumption.

And then, it seems, retailers felt even Black Friday wasn't enough. No, they were going to force their employees to work, even on Thanksgiving itself. One day they might have off to spend with family, friends, loved ones. Also taken away.

And now -- the backlash may be forcing them to retreat. I'm thankful.

More Retailers Are Choosing to Close on Thanksgiving Day
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/busin ... .html?_r=0

Office Depot, Mall of America and the electronics store HHGregg have all announced they will be closed on Thanksgiving. Other retailers like Sears will open fewer stores, and of the locations that do open, many will have shorter hours.

[snip]

That pressure to cut prices deeper and earlier drove many more retailers to begin opening on Thanksgiving about five years ago. And many are still staying open this year, including traditional department stores like Kohl’s and J. C. Penney. Macy’s, the country’s largest department store, will be open even in shopping centers that will be closed, like Mall of America.

[snip]

Retailers are now rethinking whether the potential benefits outweigh other headaches, like the negative publicity that comes with forcing employees to work on a national holiday.

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

So, as I think about things to be thankful for, one, I guess, is that fewer douchebags are forcing their employees to work on a day they should be spending at home with family. Especially overworked ones for which that is rare. I'm putting this in Labor, as it is a Labor issue.

I've never been a big fan of the orgy of consumerism called Black Friday. It really horrified me reading over the years that people would injure themselves, sometimes even kill employees, or attack fellow consumers, in a mad rush to claim a handful of silly doorbusters on sale.

The alternatives (Small Business Saturday or Cyber Monday) are really just encouraging you to pursue a different path for consumerism. Not to question you being defined by consumption.

And then, it seems, retailers felt even Black Friday wasn't enough. No, they were going to force their employees to work, even on Thanksgiving itself. One day they might have off to spend with family, friends, loved ones. Also taken away.

And now -- the backlash may be forcing them to retreat. I'm thankful.

More Retailers Are Choosing to Close on Thanksgiving Day
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/busin ... .html?_r=0

Office Depot, Mall of America and the electronics store HHGregg have all announced they will be closed on Thanksgiving. Other retailers like Sears will open fewer stores, and of the locations that do open, many will have shorter hours.

[snip]

That pressure to cut prices deeper and earlier drove many more retailers to begin opening on Thanksgiving about five years ago. And many are still staying open this year, including traditional department stores like Kohl’s and J. C. Penney. Macy’s, the country’s largest department store, will be open even in shopping centers that will be closed, like Mall of America.

[snip]

Retailers are now rethinking whether the potential benefits outweigh other headaches, like the negative publicity that comes with forcing employees to work on a national holiday.

[snip][end]

The movement to have the stores close on THanksgiving started a couple of years ago and is now finally gaining steam. I know this is the time of the year when many stores, especially the family owned, small businesses, make the bulk of their income but at the same time they need to consider the needs of their employees too. Those stores who have Black Friday sales often require their workers to work on Thanksgiving Day/Night and the be back at the store early the next morning to help with the stampede of customers. That's a lot of sacrifice for employees and their families to make; it's better for the store to sacrifice one day so their employees can enjoy Thanksgiving with family and friends and be retest and ready for the Black Friday hell to come.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

Mall retailers are the new buggy whip manufacturers.

It may have more to do with the fact that business has been sluggish for mall retailers than it has to do with Thanksgiving. So sluggish that I swear the local Sears store 60 miles away is trying to run off the last few customers they have so they can close the store and move away.

It is a pain to go to Sears, one has to check their schedule online and then time it so they will have the store open when one arrives. Most of their business seems to take place on the loading dock, folks picking up their online purchases. Last time I was there they were a half hour late in opening, I was there standing on the sidewalk waiting and talking to the eye doctor who has his clinic in their store. He says it is time to move his clinic. He was locked out too, and so was his first appointment for the day.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

Mall retailers are the new buggy whip manufacturers.

It may have more to do with the fact that business has been sluggish for mall retailers than it has to do with Thanksgiving. So sluggish that I swear the local Sears store 60 miles away is trying to run off the last few customers they have so they can close the store and move away.

It is a pain to go to Sears, one has to check their schedule online and then time it so they will have the store open when one arrives. Most of their business seems to take place on the loading dock, folks picking up their online purchases. Last time I was there they were a half hour late in opening, I was there standing on the sidewalk waiting and talking to the eye doctor who has his clinic in their store. He says it is time to move his clinic. He was locked out too, and so was his first appointment for the day.

What would you buy at Sears?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Craftsman tools and parts for those tools. And I buy batteries for the cars there. They don't turn the battery warrenty into a sales gimmick to sell one an upgrade, thus in effect having no warranty.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

Craftsman tools and parts for those tools. And I buy batteries for the cars there. They don't turn the battery warrenty into a sales gimmick to sell one an upgrade, thus in effect having no warranty.

Figured it had to be that, you can get all that online of course.

I am all for local stores with local people working them, but everything is minimum wage with the barest of benefits.

Put me in charge and we seize Walmart, Koch Bros, etc., any and all non community friendly corps and every American's life increases 100 fold almost overnight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

I do get all that online, then I pick it up at their store.

Lead acid car batteries are a difficult issue to ship. I don't think I would be able to cost effectively arrange such a shipment into my area without buying about a whole pallet load of them at once.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

The only thing I've bought at a Sears store in the last 10 years has been a new refrigerator. Sears used to be the go-to-store for just about everything you need but now they seem to be a bit dated. I was in a Sears store yesterday looking at dishwashers and while going through the store there was a lack of customers. It used to be Sears was always busy, now, most of the clerks are standing around talking to each other because they're not busy with customers. I hate to say it, but I think Sears will fold within the next couple of years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

I do get all that online, then I pick it up at their store.

Lead acid car batteries are a difficult issue to ship. I don't think I would be able to cost effectively arrange such a shipment into my area without buying about a whole pallet load of them at once.

What's the advantage of a lead battery versus a sealed battery?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

I would ask you what is the difference? Or what is a sealed battery? I might kind of know, some people use something which sounds kind of like that on boats. I always used the old, but not completely shot, batteries from my cars on my boats. Those people liked them because they would not spill even if they got tipped over. I just used some nylon line to tie mine down so they wouldn't get tipped over.

I'm buying the specified replacement batteries for my cars at Sears. They're specified as lead acid group batteries, so that is what I buy. I have found through life that the battery specification is not one to experiment with. The wrong one might cause a burn out more than just the battery.

Last time I learned that lesson over again was a couple years ago. I needed a battery when my car happened to be right there in the Sears parking lot. I pulled in to do some Christmas shopping and it died right there. Convent, but the store didn't quite have the exact battery I needed. They had one which had the correct amp and cell ratings, and case size. Except the posts were on the wrong side. I thought I'll rearrange the wires a bit and it will be OK. That part was OK, but the battery didn't last and when it went out it took the starter motor with it. Sears warrantied it even though it wasn't the correct application. They just gave me a new one, one which was the correct one.

A funny thing about that, one of my cars has lost its battery in a Sears parking lot twice. It also happened in another town years before. Maybe that is why I started buying my batteries at Sears.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:23 am 
Board Emeritus

The only thing I've bought at a Sears store in the last 10 years has been a new refrigerator. Sears used to be the go-to-store for just about everything you need but now they seem to be a bit dated. I was in a Sears store yesterday looking at dishwashers and while going through the store there was a lack of customers. It used to be Sears was always busy, now, most of the clerks are standing around talking to each other because they're not busy with customers. I hate to say it, but I think Sears will fold within the next couple of years.

That is what I see in my town too. It is almost like they have told their crew to not help customers, and to goof around all they want. And when a customer does latch on to them inspite of that, no matter what it is they want, to tell them to do it on the Internet store.

And they're not keeping up with the cleaning.

It might be they're going to close forever, or it might be they want to kill the non profitable part, their box stores, and keep the profitable part, their Internet store, and their repair parts, and service division.

When the time comes, when the mall stores go through bankruptcy, they could move the incoming freight pickup part to the repair parts, and service division. Usually in a separate building, and get out from under their mall lease obligations all across the nation.

There is no way that Sears has a management team that awful. They have to be doing it for a propose. And that is the only propose I can think of. To strip themselves of contractual obligations they can no longer carry so they can reorganize and move on.

They have to make it look like a good faith failure of their business for the bankruptcy court or it won't work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:17 am 
Board Emeritus

Don't fotget Giving Tuesday for charitable giving. Higher ed is getting into it, too.

https://www.givingtuesday.org/

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

That is what I see in my town too. It is almost like they have told their crew to not help customers, and to goof around all they want. And when a customer does latch on to them inspite of that, no matter what it is they want, to tell them to do it on the Internet store.

And they're not keeping up with the cleaning.

The one I go to is clean and neat. You don't have to dodge clothing left on the floor by customers too lazy to put what they picked up back on the rack/shelf. Sear's biggest problem is their store atmosphere; it tends to be ill-lit and depressing making you not want to linger too long.

Quote:
It might be they're going to close forever, or it might be they want to kill the non profitable part, their box stores, and keep the profitable part, their Internet store, and their repair parts, and service division.

Sears is a brand name that has value, especially with its Kenmore and Craftsman products, so those are items that will be around for years, either on-line or available through various other stores.

Quote:
When the time comes, when the mall stores go through bankruptcy, they could move the incoming freight pickup part to the repair parts, and service division. Usually in a separate building, and get out from under their mall lease obligations all across the nation.

Sears helped expand their operations by becoming an anchor store in a mall in the 60s and 70s. I was at a mall a couple of weeks ago buy to buy an iPad 2 and I got to thinking the big brand names stores like Sears, J.C. Penny, Nordstroms, etc.. probably won't last longer in a mall because of rental costs vs ownership and will move to either strip malls or build their own buildings near a mall. I can foresee the large malls losing the big anchor stores and becoming more and more oriented to smaller businesses. I could also see them partitioning off the bigger stores to create more mini-stores (larger than a kiosk). We had a K-Mart that closed a couple of years ago in San Diego and someone bought the building and turned it into an Asian marketplace with half the building housing an Asian supermarket and the rest kiosk-sized businesses and business there is booming.

Quote:
There is no way that Sears has a management team that awful. They have to be doing it for a propose. And that is the only propose I can think of. To strip themselves of contractual obligations they can no longer carry so they can reorganize and move on.

They have to make it look like a good faith failure of their business for the bankruptcy court or it won't work.

I think their management team wasn't ready to handle the competition from on-line ordering, Costco, and Walmart. Sears also owns/manages K-Mart and the number of K-Mart stores that have closed is over 300 and I don't see K-Mart surviving either which is sad because I prefer shopping at K-Mart to Sears or Walmart (which I haven't bought anything in over 12 years).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:09 am 
Board Emeritus

A couple of years ago, we went to Sears for something. There was junk all over the isles, the shelves weren't stocked, and the clerks did their best to ignore everyone. We couldn't find anyone to check us out for the item we wanted to purchase, so we just set it down and left.

It's sad. Sears used to be the go-to place for so many things. 17 years ago, I got a basic Kenmore washer and dryer when I got my new job. It was the second-from-bottom level set, the ones with the spin dials, not just the buttons. It's lasted all these years, without as much as a service call. My wife would love a new-fangled set, but since the old set just refuses to break down, she's too cheap to just replace them.

It's a total lack of management, yet the CEO of Sears gets $4 million a year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:24 am 
Board Emeritus

It's a total lack of management, yet the CEO of Sears gets $4 million a year.

Enough to buy political favors.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

One of two shopping malls open in these parts later today.

The Valley River mall will be open from 6 pm to midnight.

After the turkey day meal, football or netflix for me...and the fools that want to head out to the mall are welcome to it.

Remarkably, to a certain extent, my life revolves around such fools.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

I applaud those stores who can close an allow their employees to spend time with their families. I can also see some stores, like convenience stores, food stores, and restaurants because they serve a beneficial need to their community.